PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a review or comparison of bikes...

Vance
Thu Sep 4th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Hey everyone...
Does anyone know of where a review is that gives an honest comparison of the 2003 Triumph Daytona 955i against other litre bikes? Not necessarily the Gixxer (which I know is in the same species, but a different breed), but more like the 954RR, the RC-51, and the like? I've seen some extraordinarily biased single reviews of the bike, and they are all comparing it to the Gixxer... which isn't quite (IMHO) right.

Also --- if anyone knows of a comparison review of the Daytona 600 to the other 600s out there - I'd be interested in seeing that too. Not so much for me (although I'm highly interested in the bike's capabilities comparatively) but for a friend I'm trying to get into motorcycles who REALLY loves the Triumphs from the "old'en days" (I think he means the 50s & 60s).

Rick T. - I know you didn't much care for your Centennial because of some problems (I saw your write up on T595.net)... but I'd appreciate your input on comparisons too since you've got time on the new design Daytona compared to a few others you've had riding time on.

Thanks in advance to all

Vance

Anonymous
Thu Sep 4th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Have you checked the Performance Bikes past issues? They always do stuff like that. If they haven't, write them, they probably will.

yakuza
Thu Sep 4th, 2003, 11:44 AM
RoadRacingWorld might be abother good place to check, IMHO they have some of the least biased reviews around, and are a pleasure to read. I'll try and look at my back issues and see if there's anything...

Anonymous
Thu Sep 4th, 2003, 12:04 PM
I just checked Motorcycle.com, and they don't have a comparo per-say (in fact, they haven't even reviewed the '03), they do have some comments on the '02 (not sure if it's different from the '03) where they make comparative references to a few other bikes. Here they are:

The riding position has definitely changed, especially in the handlebar department. The higher bars are kinder to your wrists than those of old and you can definitely see that the Honda Fireblade was between the designer's crosshairs in the comfort department. (I'm sure you already know that Fireblade is the European name for the Honda 929/954) :D

Down low, the 955 feels R1-strong and kicks onto the main straight in a hurry.

I finally kick the 955 into the upper rev range and it responds with a superbly linear pull all the way to some wailing 11,000 rpm. It feels a tad tamer and saner than a CBR, but then again, the linearity of the power delivery somewhat masks the true one liter rush that's present in this new Daytona.

Thankfully, we have not even one bad word to say about the fuel injection. In the slow and technical esses of this track, there are quite a few on/off throttle situations but the response is seamless. It might not be as surgically precise as on a GSX-R750, but then this relative looseness in response works just fine for a non-racer.

The weight loss and reduced steering angle make the 955 a quick steering bike, although it's still not Fireblade quick.
And the summary:
Considering the fact that Triumph does not refer to the 955 as a "race replica," its surprising how good a track tool it is. And for the same reason it looks like it should be an even better road bike. That doesn't mean that Triumph created the perfect Fireblade or R1 carbon copy - quite the opposite. The 955i Daytona still has its very own, big Brit character. Its actually so good and unique as to make the little odds and ends that have an unfinished look forgivable. In fact, in Europe, the new Triumph even undercuts the competition price wise.

The fact that there is such an option for the Japanese offerings at a competitive price, is truly remarkable. And this new Triumph makes few concessions for the sake of owning something with "character" than anything preceding it. Long live the British eccentricity!

Hope this helps.

Vance
Thu Sep 4th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I really had no idea if anyone was doing reviews of the 955i's since they were, well, not Japanese, Ducati, or Aprillia (I've noticed a bit of a bias in magazines against Triumphs even being LISTED when they discuss litre bikes).

Spidey ---
THANKS for the search and post! WOW - they actually aren't slamming it in their comparos. Very nice. That is the 2002 though. The 2003 is a bit different... slightly... they went back to the single sided swing arm and upped the BHP by like 5 or something.

This alone (without additional research) messes with my poor brain...
The spousal unit wants me on a new ride so I don't have to wrench as much (something under warrenty/extended warrenty)... and I've grown loyal to the idea of another Triumph... but on the flipside, some good deals are starting to pop up on RC-51s here and there.

RC has the advantage of more parts more readily available...
955i has that British uniqueness in a world of look & act-alikes...
and this list can go on all day long.

GRRRRR. Guess it's going to come down to what a dealer will give me on a trade with the upgrades I've done, and the price they'll offer me on the new one... and in the mean time I'll have to PONDER PONDER PONDER the choice.