PDA

View Full Version : Dear Topeka, Kansas; Fuck You

Zach929rr
Wed Oct 12th, 2011, 07:52 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/10/domestic-violence-topeka-kansas-.html

Absolutely unfuckingbelievable. Not much to say about this other than this is a sad state of affairs our country is in right now.

Ezzzzy1
Wed Oct 12th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Wow... That, just wow!

Pittsburgh, Pa just filed for bankruptcy protection today. Funny that it mad me say the same thing- "this is a sad state of affairs our country is in right now."

laspariahs
Wed Oct 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Now what will men do when their girlfriends beat the shit out of them because they won't give it up!!!

~Barn~
Wed Oct 12th, 2011, 08:22 PM
The more violent men [and women...] gravitating toward Kansas, the fewer there are here.

APPROVED.

:D

grim
Wed Oct 12th, 2011, 09:06 PM
You can't be fucking serious! So let's see how long that lasts when the spouse gets beaten, snaps, and kills the spouse beating them!

Ezzzzy1
Wed Oct 12th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Now maybe they will actually go to the kitchen when told... I am getting pretty sick and tired of my wife telling me to go fuck myself when I ask for a sandwich :lol:

grim
Wed Oct 12th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Now maybe they will actually go to the kitchen when told... I am getting pretty sick and tired of my wife telling me to go fuck myself when I ask for a sandwich :lol:

:lol: Is it at that point you grab the bottle of Jerkins and give her an evil smile?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 07:09 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/10/domestic-violence-topeka-kansas-.html

Absolutely unfuckingbelievable. Not much to say about this other than this is a sad state of affairs our country is in right now.
Maybe you didn't read anything but the protesters placards in the picture?

"So City Council members rescinded the domestic battery law to force a stare-down with the county prosecutor. The state has its own misdemeanor battery law, and the county prosecutor would still have to enforce state law.

The city's tactic worked. In a news release (http://www.snco.us/da/news_story.asp?story=2011-10-12-da-01) Wednesday, Taylor announced — grudgingly — that he would prosecute the domestic abuse cases again."

Ezzzzy1
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Be honest CM.... There aren't a few out there that you would love to beat the shit out of? ;)

Sarge
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I'm actually with CM on this one. DV is still illegal by County AND State AND Federal law. By "legalizing" it at the City level, you just force the County or higher to handle the expense of prosecution.

On that same note though, the Lautenberg Amendment is one of the most obscene laws ever written. I in no way condone Domestic Violence, but I've seen friends KICKED OUT of the Army because they got in a verbal dispute with a spouse or girlfriend and the neighbors called the cops. In Colorado, amongst many other states, Police Officers have a WILL ARREST policy towards domestic calls. As in, if they get called out, YOU WILL GET ARRESTED, unless you have it on video and have 47 eyewitnesses that SHE hit YOU. No damaged property, no physical contact, arrested, fired, banned from owning weapons for life. Tell me how that is fair.

Zach929rr
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 08:16 AM
The city's tactic worked. In a news release (http://www.snco.us/da/news_story.asp?story=2011-10-12-da-01) Wednesday, Taylor announced — grudgingly — that he would prosecute the domestic abuse cases again."

Of course I read the whole article, and I can appreciate what the city felt they "had to do". However, you don't play chicken with public policy. That's what really pisses me off here.

~Barn~
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 08:51 AM
<Snip...) In Colorado, amongst many other states, Police Officers have a WILL ARREST policy towards domestic calls. As in, if they get called out, YOU WILL GET ARRESTED, unless you have it on video and have 47 eyewitnesses that SHE hit YOU. No damaged property, no physical contact, arrested, fired, banned from owning weapons for life. Tell me how that is fair.

Ironic that you mention this.... Just this morning on the radio, I heard a blurb that this policy is being reviewed, so that a mandatory arrest may no longer need to occur, and citiations can be issued instead. Obviously a very vague piece of news, but timely none-the-less. And overdue!

sprtbkbabe
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Ironic that you mention this.... Just this morning on the radio, I heard a blurb that this policy is being reviewed, so that a mandatory arrest may no longer need to occur, and citiations can be issued instead. Obviously a very vague piece of news, but timely none-the-less. And overdue!

Additional irony is that I know of officers who arrest more women for DV. There are lots of women who play the victim, yet the guy is the one who is abused.

If regular citations are issued, that means officers will just return to the scene when the abuse is escalated after officers were present. Nice

Keyser Soze
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 10:00 AM
What do 50,000 battered women have in common?

They just don't fuckin listen!

Pharmgirl
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Pittsburgh, Pa just filed for bankruptcy protection today. Funny that it mad me say the same thing- "this is a sad state of affairs our country is in right now."

Harrisburg, PA filed for bankruptcy protection. But it sucks there anyway, so no biggie.

Devaclis
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Mandatory arrest and subsequential mandatory classes and restrictions imposed on a person because someone called the police to report DV is absolute bullshit. You can ruin a persons life by simply calling the caps and stating this person hit/beat you. Guilty or not. Even if the person who reported the incident takes it back and said it never happened, the "perp" is still going to jail, going to be forced to take anger management classses, and have his/her life totally fucked. I have seen it happen more than one time. Vindictive bitches/assholes have been using this as revenge for a long time.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 11:06 AM

They just don't fuckin listen!:slap:

Fixed.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 11:07 AM

They just don't fuckin listen!
I saw a T-shirt that said: "50,000 battered women and I'm still eatin' mine plain?"

Q: What do you tell a woman with 2 black eyes? :)
A: Nuthin', you already done told her twice! :) (Kidding...)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Additional irony is that I know of officers who arrest more women for DV. There are lots of women who play the victim, yet the guy is the one who is abused.

If regular citations are issued, that means officers will just return to the scene when the abuse is escalated after officers were present. Nice
I can tell you of 2 personal friends that were caught in that trap. Both had documented injuries (gouges/scratches) without a single mark on the woman, yet both were thrown in jail on her accusations and are now listed as felons. One friend here in CO was even told by the judge: "Do you really expect me to believe that a big 'ole boy like yourself was the victim here?". I mean, WTF???? I totally agree with Dana here. I was accused of abusing my kids in OH by the spiteful bitch #1 trying to eliminate any further visitation with my kids, was totally cleared of that, yet that was used against me here in CO by spiteful bitch #2. Instant guilty verdict, no proof needed! I was restricted in my initial visits with Carina to a "safe house" at $50/visit paid by ME, and when I tried to show the court the letters I had from the child services agency in OH showing I was innocent, X2's lawyer had them declared inadmissible because they weren't notorazed or something. Yet, their initial claims weren't either. In today's court system, all you have to do is accuse to almost guarantee them found guilty.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Of course I read the whole article, and I can appreciate what the city felt they "had to do". However, you don't play chicken with public policy. That's what really pisses me off here.

It worked, didn't it? ;)

sprtbkbabe
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I can tell you of 2 personal friends that were caught in that trap. Both had documented injuries (gouges/scratches) without a single mark on the woman, yet both were thrown in jail on her accusations and are now listed as felons. One friend here in CO was even told by the judge: "Do you really expect me to believe that a big 'ole boy like yourself was the victim here?". I mean, WTF???? I totally agree with Dana here. I was accused of abusing my kids in OH by the spiteful bitch #1 trying to eliminate any further visitation with my kids, was totally cleared of that, yet that was used against me here in CO by spiteful bitch #2. Instant guilty verdict, no proof needed! I was restricted in my initial visits with Carina to a "safe house" at $50/visit paid by ME, and when I tried to show the court the letters I had from the child services agency in OH showing I was innocent, X2's lawyer had them declared inadmissible because they weren't notorazed or something. Yet, their initial claims weren't either. In today's court system, all you have to do is accuse to almost guarantee them found guilty.

Maybe you didn't read this post thoroughly, Frank. I have personally seen a few WOMEN arrested because the cops saw thru their stories.

If you were arrested or know of men wrongly accused, then the officer on charge of those scenes did not see the full stories and it appeared to snowball thru to the courts.

Then again, maybe the judge saw your dislike of women you've hooked up with Frank... :D ok, ok... I kid...maybe

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Maybe you didn't read this post thoroughly, Frank. I have personally seen a few WOMEN arrested because the cops saw thru their stories.

If you were arrested or know of men wrongly accused, then the officer on charge of those scenes did not see the full stories and it appeared to snowball thru to the courts.

Then again, maybe the judge saw your dislike of women you've hooked up with Frank... :D ok, ok... I kid...maybe
No, I did, and my point was misunderstood. That MOST times the cops DON'T see thru the BS, and just automatically arrest the guy. Glad that some cops are smart enough to see thru the BS.

I was never arrested, but friends have been, and I know what happened when I was accused of abusing my kids. The stain of the accusation never goes away.

I dunno, you'd have to ask Terri, or Kristina (my X from ID on fb, just spent an hour on the phone with her last night in fact), or Kelly, or Lisa, or Marina, or Pam, or any of the others I'm still friends with. No, it's just the 2 Evil X's that have a power trip because of the divorce papers that I have an issue with. You know, the ones I had to tell twice already!:D

Ezzzzy1
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 01:14 PM
When the poolice are called to a house someone is going to jail. If when the poolice get there everyone is like "there is nothing wrong" the guy goes to jail. The only way a woman goes to jail is if she is stupid and says stupid things when the poolice are there, if there is physical evidence that she did something or drugs and alcohol are involved exclusively by her. That may sound like a lot of reasons but its nothing compared to how many ways a male can be taken away. In my experience (paramedic) I would say that 95%+ of the time I saw a woman being hauled off they took the male as well.

laspariahs
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 02:23 PM
When the poolice are called to a house someone is going to jail. If when the poolice get there everyone is like "there is nothing wrong" the guy goes to jail. The only way a woman goes to jail is if she is stupid and says stupid things when the poolice are there, if there is physical evidence that she did something or drugs and alcohol are involved exclusively by her. That may sound like a lot of reasons but its nothing compared to how many ways a male can be taken away. In my experience (paramedic) I would say that 95%+ of the time I saw a woman being hauled off they took the male as well.

Yup. That's what I've seen and heard as well. The guy is going to jail folks, we all know men are always the aggressors, especially seasoned cops.

Our society really needs to get away from this protect the poor defenseless women sexist garbage. Women aren't defenseless, nor do they need our protection.

Aaron
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Just going to clarify a few misunderstandings in these posts. Nothing I list here should be taken as fact, or should be related to any cases you guys have, had had, will have, etc.

In Colorado, the Officer only has to arrest if he has Probable Cause to believe that two people are in an intimate relationship with each other, and one of those people committed one of a certain crime against the other.

In my experience, which may be a bit more valuable than Ezzzz's, more males are arrested than females, but there are plenty of females arrested too. A situation where both the male and female are arrested is very rare. If I had to an educated guess of numbers on it:

30% of Domestic Dispute calls end in an arrest or a warrant for arrest. Of these, 70% of the time the male is arrested, 29% of the time the female is. 1% ends with both parties being arrested.

These are just educated guesses. The DV laws reading how they do have saved countless lives, and protect people far more than any of you could imagine. However they also put the Officer in a very difficult place and task him with making a very difficult decision.

laspariahs
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 02:28 PM
However they also put the Officer in a very difficult place and task him with making a very difficult decision.

That's the issue, they put a cop in a judges position, in no situation should a cop be judging jack shit. Honestly if they arrest one, it should be law that they have to arrest both, so a judge can sort it out. Though as mentioned before they will probably side with the woman.

Ezzzzy1
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Just going to clarify a few misunderstandings in these posts. Nothing I list here should be taken as fact, or should be related to any cases you guys have, had had, will have, etc.

In Colorado, the Officer only has to arrest if he has Probable Cause to believe that two people are in an intimate relationship with each other, and one of those people committed one of a certain crime against the other.

In my experience, which may be a bit more valuable than Ezzzz's, more males are arrested than females, but there are plenty of females arrested too. A situation where both the male and female are arrested is very rare. If I had to an educated guess of numbers on it:

30% of Domestic Dispute calls end in an arrest or a warrant for arrest. Of these, 70% of the time the male is arrested, 29% of the time the female is. 1% ends with both parties being arrested.

These are just educated guesses. The DV laws reading how they do have saved countless lives, and protect people far more than any of you could imagine. However they also put the Officer in a very difficult place and task him with making a very difficult decision.

:lol: More Valuable?

So you are saying that 30% of the time someone goes to jail? You crazy...

First, this is how Domestic Violence is defined in Colorado -
"Domestic violence" means an act or threatened act of violence upon a person with whom the actor is or has been involved in an intimate relationship. "Domestic violence" also includes any other crime against a person, or against property, including an animal, or any municipal ordinance violation against a person, or against property, including an animal, when used as a method of coercion, control, punishment, intimidation, or revenge directed against a person with whom the actor is or has been involved in an intimate relationship.

Second, this is how Intimate Relationship is defined by the state -
"Intimate relationship" means a relationship between spouses, former
spouses, past or present unmarried couples, or persons who are both the parents of the same child regardless of whether the persons have been married or have lived together at any time.

That said when a police officer has probable cause to believe a crime of DOMESTIC VIOLENCE has been committed that officer is required by Colorado law to arrest the person or persons involved. DOMESTIC VIOLENCE is a very serious charge that can take many forms: domestic abuse, harassment, stalking, third degree assault, threats of violence, false imprisonment, sexual assault, unlawful contact, and kidnapping, criminal mischief, child abuse, obstructing phone service, to name a few.

So ask yourself this, Aaron, in how many circumstances are the police called by the neighbors, family, friends or persons involved that one or more of the infractions have taken place. Waaaay more than 30%. You call your wife a bitch because she is blowing the neighbor, she calls the cops, you go to jail. Why? Because "intimidated" her.

As far as the 95% I threw out thats what I saw (of course when an ambulance is called someone IS probably hurt). So I would say that the probability of someone going to jail is higher if EMS is called.

All in all most of the cops I have talked to over the years have said that their "hands are tied" on DV issues. Simple as that. Once dispatched and the call is tagged "DV" someone is going to jail. Why is this hard to understand?

Edit... Annnd if you are a cop-o-la and that is why you would believe that your experience is more "valuable" I would argue that your interpretation is warped especially if your record would show that you are making arrests on ONLY 30% of the DV calls. I would actually say that you are not following Colorado statute and that is a big part of the problem as well.

Aaron
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM
The Domestic Violence laws are hard for everyone involved, and I wish there was a better way.

I'm not going to argue over this, I just wanted to give some educated insight to how things really are from someone who knows. Ezzzz, you should know first hand how unreliable information from Dispatch can be. Their decision to title the call as a Domestic Fight has absolutely no bearing on whether the Officer will arrest or not.

grim
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Ej just wants to know if he can hit his girl and then punch himself in the eye and pull it off. :lol:

Ezzzzy1
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Ej just wants to know if he can hit his girl and then punch himself in the eye and pull it off. :lol:

Lol... I just use a phone book, no bruise :D

grim
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Lol... I just use a phone book, no bruise :D

Make sure you don't pull a "biodome" when you use books. Always make sure you use the logo on the outside!