PDA

View Full Version : Looking for work

Ghettodsm
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Well I just got the news today that my company will be doing some lay offs. My shop will probably be closing. I currently work as an estimator for a body shop. My last day will be this friday. Hopefully I can get something lined up shortly. I have prior experience as a autobody tech, customer service & sales skills, appraiser, autobody estimator. I'm not very picky I just know I will need something quick (don't we all) that will meet my goals. Thanks all for looking/helping,
Kevin. cell # 720 250 6-five-9-zero

vort3xr6
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 11:30 AM
email me your resume so I can forward it to our Director of service operations.

I work for Stevinson Automotive and you sound like a decent candidate for a service / parts position.

bhampton@stevinsonauto.com

grim
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Sorry to hear that man that sucks, good luck finding something!

Ghettodsm
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 11:56 AM

I work for Stevinson Automotive and you sound like a decent candidate for a service / parts position.

emailed you my resume. Thanks!

Ghettodsm
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Sorry to hear that man that sucks, good luck finding something!

Thanks! You would think of the autobody business as being recession proof...guess that isn't always the case.

MetaLord 9
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Sorry to hear man, good luck!

Ghettodsm
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Thank you. Happens to the best of us. Guess my time was up. Never been laid off before or even without a job since I was 16 lol.

Ghettodsm
Mon Oct 17th, 2011, 09:05 AM
2 interviews setup for today! Hopefully one of them works out. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Scatterbrain
Mon Oct 17th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Good luck.

Ghettodsm
Mon Oct 17th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks! Both interviews went ok, hope I hear back from them. Also has anyone worked or know of someone who was worked for halliburton as a frac/acid operator or cementing?

Ghettodsm
Tue Oct 18th, 2011, 08:49 AM

I sent you my resume, any update yet?

RajunCajun
Tue Oct 18th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Been there, kinda still am. Best of luck!!!

Ghettodsm
Tue Oct 18th, 2011, 09:25 AM
thank you.

Side note - I thought about joining the Occupy Denver guys out of sheer bordom lol.

Slo
Tue Oct 18th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I just sent an email off to someone that works at a body shop and makes really good money, I will let you know what I find out.

EDIT - PM sent

Ghettodsm
Tue Oct 18th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Appreciate that!

P/M replied

vort3xr6
Tue Oct 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I am still working on getting you in. Director of operations has been busy this week.

Cornfed
Tue Oct 18th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Im in the business and we are looking for people. PM me.

mdub
Tue Oct 18th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Happens to the best of us. Guess my time was up. Never been laid off before or even without a job since I was 16 lol.

been there .....i was just a new dad when i got let go. but it work out just fine..

Ghettodsm
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I am still working on getting you in. Director of operations has been busy this week.

Ok no problem. Thanks again!

Ghettodsm
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 12:48 PM
been there .....i was just a new dad when i got let go. but it work out just fine..

Glad to hear. Me and my wife are planning for our first child and then (of course) something like this happens. My wife has been really understanding though. Had another interview today at a bodyshop. The interview went well but the guy was very scattered (possibly on a stimulant/non legal) lol.

Ghettodsm
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Im in the business and we are looking for people. PM me.

Sent you a p/m

Ghettodsm
Fri Oct 28th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Still looking (unless cornfed knows something I don't haha). All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ghettodsm
Mon Oct 31st, 2011, 08:25 AM
Interview with allstate today!

eklew
Mon Oct 31st, 2011, 08:32 PM
What shop laid you off?

Cornfed
Mon Oct 31st, 2011, 08:54 PM
Still looking (unless cornfed knows something I don't haha). All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry man but I don't. I'm guessing in this situation no news is bad news.

Ghettodsm
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 04:33 PM
Sorry man but I don't. I'm guessing in this situation no news is bad news.

Oh well, thanks for the help! See ya!

Ghettodsm
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
What shop laid you off?

sent you a p/m

Ghettodsm
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 05:51 PM
2 more interviews lined up for this week so far. Anyone work as a parts rep at a dealership?

Sarge
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks! You would think of the autobody business as being recession proof...guess that isn't always the case.

The key here is charging more for less. ;) Less employees = longer repair times = higher demand = higher fees.

Ghettodsm
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 02:35 PM
agreed (unfortunately) ! Had an interview today with american family insurance...hope I get it. This not working shiz sucks and I refuse to collect unemployment.

mdub
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 05:41 PM
collect unemployment.

hopefully it will not get to that.. but its better than nothing.

Ghettodsm
Mon Nov 28th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Yes it is but I really don't want to. I would hate having to use government aid. At any rate I'm still looking. Doing some side work right now. If anyone needs any small auto repairs done or body work I can help. Thanks again all !

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 07:45 AM
agreed (unfortunately) ! Had an interview today with american family insurance...hope I get it. This not working shiz sucks and I refuse to collect unemployment.

file for unemployment. You've paid into it your whole working life. As long as you're one of the people legitimately looking for work, there's no shame in collecting.

Ghettodsm
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Yeah I know man I just never thought I would have to. Oh well time to quit being a wuss and go file I guess.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 08:09 AM
have been there and understand how you feel. Just have to keep reminding yourself it's not a free handout, you've paid into this for years. And as long as you're one of the guys beating the streets looking for work rather than sitting on your lazy ass, then no one will think any less of you.

Ghettodsm
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I have been putting in resumes like crazy (generally about 15 every day). I have had several interviews lately and even some help from a couple guys on here but just no luck. Maybe it's my beard ? Guess I will wait in the unemployment like like the rest of america...sad days my friend.

mdub
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 09:36 AM
there's no shame in collecting. i have done it and i collected til it was zeroed out.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 09:42 AM
most business owners I talk to are busy and actually looking for good employees. Problem is being able to stand out in the crowd

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 09:47 AM
honestly, if you're firing off 15 resumes a day, I'd bet money that they are cookie cutter resumes that look like every other Joe on the street who's just trying to ride unemployment.

Try to focus on a few good key opportunities and write your resume for the job. Doesn't mean embellish. But there are key words for certain positions and your own history you need to focus on (and other history to push aside). Get to the point, use your network.

again, focus on key opportunities and don't wait for a resume to get you a call back. Stalk other people in the organization, learn about their business.....

best wishes and good luck

grim
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 09:52 AM
honestly, if you're firing off 15 resumes a day, I'd bet money that they are cookie cutter resumes that look like every other Joe on the street who's just trying to ride unemployment.

Try to focus on a few good key opportunities and write your resume for the job. Doesn't mean embellish. But there are key words for certain positions and your own history you need to focus on (and other history to push aside). Get to the point, use your network.

again, focus on key opportunities and don't wait for a resume to get you a call back. Stalk other people in the organization, learn about their business.....

Agreed, persistence to the extent where it is not annoying will make you stand out and show the employer that you genuinely want to work for the company.

rforsythe
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 10:32 AM
most business owners I talk to are busy and actually looking for good employees. Problem is being able to stand out in the crowd

Yep. The market is flooded with mediocrity right now, you have to be different.

Bingo! Except the stalking thing... There is a fine line between showing genuine interest in the job being offered, and seeming desperate for a paycheck. Don't cross it.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Except the stalking thing... There is a fine line between showing genuine interest in the job being offered, and seeming desperate for a paycheck. Don't cross it.

said somewhat tongue in cheek...

But some businesses have a sandwich shop nearby or a bar where employees will frequent for lunch or an after work beverage. Certainly "stalking" in the literal sense will not help your efforts. But it doesn't hurt to drop in to these local joints to see what you hear or who you might bump into. How you apply what you hear or learn can appear like stalking so it pays to be smart.

"hi mr. interviewer. I was on my 4th beer over at the corner pub when I heard your purchasing manager mention you guys were about to bid on the biggest project in the history of your business."

"hi mr. interviewer. It sounds like things are much better out there than the news would have people believe. I've heard many businesses have grown past where they were in 2007 and some are even bidding on their biggest projects ever."

asp_125
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 12:10 PM
The other approach is to be willing to relocate. So far my best chances have been for jobs out of state and or involve travel. It's not for everybody, especially those with families or kids in school. Then again, I'm having to think if I really want to live in Houston or North Dakota. :/ Australia and NZ are sounding nice though.

Ghettodsm
Wed Nov 30th, 2011, 04:16 PM
The other approach is to be willing to relocate. So far my best chances have been for jobs out of state and or involve travel. It's not for everybody, especially those with families or kids in school. Then again, I'm having to think if I really want to live in Houston or North Dakota. :/ Australia and NZ are sounding nice though.

As much as I would like to use that option my wife unfortunately does not like the idea. Australia or NZ would be really cool! Don't you have to have desired skill set/lots of money already to live there ? I heard they don't just accept anyone (like us mericans do lol).

Bueller
Wed Nov 30th, 2011, 05:13 PM
file for unemployment. You've paid into it your whole working life. As long as you're one of the people legitimately looking for work, there's no shame in collecting.
Employees don't pay unemployment, the employers pay for unemployment insurance.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Nov 30th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Employees don't pay unemployment, the employers pay for unemployment insurance.

tomato potato

and corporation would pay taxes rather than handing down down price increases to the consumer.....

401k, FICA....

Who writes the check is little consequence