PDA

View Full Version : Pueblo Motorsports Park road course Resurfacing Project

Dave
Fri Oct 14th, 2011, 03:14 PM
It appears work is under way at Pueblo- if anyone has any updates or pictures to share post them here.
Does anyone know if turn 10 will be modified?
http://www.pueblo.us/SlideShow.aspx?AID=9&AN=Resurfacing%20Project%20at%20Pueblo%20Motorspor ts%20Park (http://www.pueblo.us/SlideShow.aspx?AID=9&AN=Resurfacing%20Project%20at%20Pueblo%20Motorspor ts%20Park)

UglyDogRacing
Fri Oct 14th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Does anyone know if turn 10 will be modified?

It will be changed a little but not enough to enable us to race there in the rain.

jgixxer1
Thu Jan 19th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Unless they plan on finishing in the next 3 months, I don't think it's happening this year. Last time I rode dirt out there they hadn't even broke ground. They extended the drag strip run off, but that's it. Just an extended dirt section and that's been done since fall.

The last trackday I did there they said bidding was closed like Sept 20th and that they were gonna start work in October. Hopefully the city didn't decide to re-allocate the funds.

Anyone have updates?

Husky
Thu Jan 19th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Here is some info I found on the Pueblo track. The contractor was not able to finish due to the cold temps (even though we had plenty of warm days) and now more funding is needed to finish.

Creighton Wright 800 Goodnight Ave
Director Pueblo, CO 81005
Michael Sexton Phone (719) 553-2790
Assistant Director Fax (719) 553-2791
December 20, 2011
SUBJECT: Pueblo Motorsports Park Construction Update – Delays Expected, Extension Requested
It is with great frustration that I write this. Construction at Pueblo Motorsports Park, while progressing, has been a victim of the cool fall and early winter weather conditions. Unfortunately, the impact is that the construction completion schedule is sliding until the end of April, which will result in the cancelation of some planned races and the need to extend our agreement regarding funding assistance for resurfacing.
The concrete paving of the drag strip launch-pad was completed on schedule, but the repaving of the remainder of the drag strip and road course will have to be delayed until the spring due to cold temperatures. Because we are putting down a thin (1.5”) overlay of asphalt, the cold temperatures (both air and ground) cause the asphalt to cool too quickly to be properly applied. If the material is not at the proper temperature when applied, it could result in raveling and lifting. If we were to proceed now under these conditions, it would be costly and inefficient due to the high probability of asphalt failure. For this reason, the contractor has strongly encouraged delaying the paving until the end of April.
IMPACT TO RACERS:
Delaying the paving will affect racing at Pueblo Motorsports Park. Any races scheduled before May 5 will have to be rescheduled. Current impacted events will include: SCCA-CDR (Mar. 31-Apr. 1), NASA (Apr. 14 – 15), and drag racing (Apr. 21 – 22 and 28 – 29).
As mentioned previously, this is a very frustrating situation. We have done everything in our power to try to avoid canceling races, but have come to the realization that there are no more options to consider if we want the project completed correctly and ensure warranty by the contractor. I apologize for the inconvenience this will cause our race fans and funding sponsors.
PLAN TO COMPLETE THE PROJECT:
The contractor and our consultants recommend laying the asphalt when the air temperature is above 60° and the ground temperature is above 40°. Based on historic weather trends, the probability of meeting this criteria does not exist until the middle of April. If the conditions are right for a forecasted prolonged period (7-10 days) before then, work may ensue and the project may be completed sooner. At this point, we are assuming the worst. See project status and funding charts attached.
Based on the current schedule, praying for no weather delays, pavement is planned to be completed on or before April 25 with the first race on May 5, 2012.
Again, I apologize for the inconvenience this causes. Jason Abney, Motorsports Operations Supervisor, will be calling affected groups to discuss remediation.
Respectfully,
Creighton Wright
PUEBLO MOTORSPORTS PARK RENOVATION PROJECT 2012
PROJECT COMPONENTS/STATUS:
TASK ITEM
STATUS
TIMELINE TO COMPLETE
PROJECT BUDGET
Baker Concrete Construction
Drag Strip Launch Pad (burnout box through 330’)
Completed – Oct. 16
Rocky Mountain Materials and Asphalt
Drag Strip Widening and Re-paving (330’ through turn 1)
In Progress – 60% complete
Original
Completion: 12/7/11
Planned
Completion: 4/25/12
Road Course Re-paving (turn 1 through turn 10)
In Progress – 10% complete
Turn 9 Reconstruction (new kerb and drainage improvements)
Turn 10 Safety Improvements (new kerb install and runoff addition)
Contractor – TBD
Spectator Bleachers and Plaza Development (add spectator plaza and replace bleachers)
PROJECT FUNDING:
FUNDER
AMOUNT
City of Pueblo 2009
$114,000
City of Pueblo 2011
$747,000
Colorado Motorsports Council
$80,000
Sports Car Club of America – Continental Divide Region
$6,700
Private Donations
$12,000
TOTAL
$959,700

Zach929rr
Thu Jan 19th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Overtime Overbudget?

Big surprise!

Husky
Sat Jan 21st, 2012, 09:11 AM
Thats for sure, ever since the city got involved with running it there have been problems. They have a self appt. PMP representative that goes under NovaChick that spits out more BS to cover everyons assess than a politician.

rforsythe
Sat Jan 21st, 2012, 10:45 AM
So they are saying <May 5th as the reschedule date, but the MRA has already moved their May 19-20 event to PPIR instead. I really hope the track doesn't put vehicles (especially cars) on it too soon, it will just trash the new pavement and make it even worse. Many tracks have blown their wad too soon in that respect.