PDA

View Full Version : HWY 67?

coaz4x4
Sat Oct 15th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Is highway 67 from Sedalia to Woodland Park a good ride? Heard part may be unpaved?

Looking for a ride I can take the lady on to see some fall colors.

LivingPools
Sat Oct 15th, 2011, 12:59 AM
You heard correctly, the unpaved chunk is south of Sedalia, where it turns from mostly south to mostly west. Goes back to paved when you continue heading south to Deckers. I wouldn't recommend this for anybody but experienced riders AND experienced passengers. Especially coming from the Sedalia side as its a significant downhill grade (6% maybe?) for a couple of miles.

If you want to ride this route, it'd be better to take 285 to Pine Junction, then head south on CO-126/Deckers Rd, which runs right into 67 and continues south to Woodland Park.

I haven't been out in a couple weeks so I don't know where the fall colors are still showing. Down south should be better, Cripple Creek area perhaps?

BHeth
Sat Oct 15th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Just rode 67 yesterday. Such a great stretch, as it offers a little bit of everything. We stopped at the gravel as we were short on time, but it is rideable. The sign says it is a 15% grade. I've ridden it before and had no idea it was that steep. Not sure I'd do it with a passenger. If there were any pretty trees I didn't notice.

sloridr
Sat Oct 15th, 2011, 06:37 AM
The 15% grade is only about 200 yards long. It is steep as hell!!!

aerofaze
Sat Oct 15th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Rode the dirt/gravel part on CO67 to Sedalia for the first time a couple weeks ago- I needed to get to south Denver and was running short on time. I didn't realize how long that dirt section was (over 3 miles, I believe)!!!!

Heading east towards town, the uphills were steep, but the downhills weren't bad. I was glad we did it that way as going west looked like the opposite story. I just know I am not going back there again while it remains unpaved, in either direction.

I'm no experienced rider, but the Monster survived on her Michie Pilot Road 2's.

Bueller
Sat Oct 15th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I love that stretch! I have passed dirtbikes on that, it is no big deal for me you just need to drift the corners. :lol:

sfarson
Sat Oct 15th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Don't have much to add to the preceding, except that you won't find much fall color activity along 67, from Sedalia and Jarre Canyon, to the South Platte, all the way to Deckers. It is mostly Ponderosa Pine country.

A post above noted Cripple Creek SW of Pikes Peak if you're up for a ride that far. Nice aspen groves along 67 there. All those miners cut down the nearby pine forests for their housing and heating needs, and in came the aspen. Oh, and they had to keep rebuilding Cripple Creek and Victor after all the fires sweeping through!

For a closer color ride, take Deer Creek Canyon and High Grade Road to the C on the map below. Turn left onto Kuehster Road. Now this is a loose chip/seal road, but with hardly any traffic, no problem with a street bike. Ride it three miles to the top. The view and the trees will stun. Continuing on Pleasant Park to E on the map also has some nice color along the way. It isn't Cripple Creek in size, but it is closer, and the roads are two wheel fun.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Co+Rd+124%2FW+Deer+Creek+Canyon+Rd&daddr=Co+Rd+124%2FW+Deer+Creek+Canyon+Rd+to:Pleasa nt+Park+Rd+to:S+Kuehster+Rd+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=39.509339,-105.177269&spn=0.238922,0.492668&sll=39.518079,-105.250053&sspn=0.119446,0.246334&geocode=FX56WwIdJn68-Q%3BFbJKWwIdFvm6-Q%3BFWikWgIdoq66-Q%3BFbwvWgId9OO6-Q%3BFWgOWwIdZii5-Q&vpsrc=6&gl=us&mra=mi&mrsp=4&sz=13&t=m&z=12

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Oct 16th, 2011, 12:34 AM
I took the left fork - towards Deckers - on a Harley once. Slow but doable. Much longer than the right fork afaik.

Bueller
Sun Oct 16th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I took the left fork - towards Deckers - on a Harley once. Slow but doable. Much longer than the right fork afaik.
Sugar Creek Rd is 11 mi. of dirt and a lot of switchbacks. It also eliminates a lot of the great paved twisties on the river.

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Oct 16th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Sugar Creek Rd is 11 mi. of dirt and a lot of switchbacks. It also eliminates a lot of the great paved twisties on the river.

Not if you turn right at the end. ;) In that case, it doubles them.