PDA

View Full Version : Better place to live: KC or Minneapolis, MN??

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Might be getting an offer for a job, it'd be in my choice of either Kansas City, MO or Minneapolis, MN.

I've been on the web trying to see which is "nicer", but would like input from anyone who's lived in either place.

From what I've found, Minneapolis seems like a trendy, mini-Seattle with a lot of WiFi hotspots, coffee shops, parks and trails and what-not.

KC seems more like an old urban city, with some history and BBQ & Blues but probably isn't as tech-centered or "green" as Minneapolis and it seems more likely to have dial-up than broadband.

Both are 2hrs away by plane, so I could come home on the occasional weekend, Minneapolis' Cost Of Living is roughly equal to Denver, Kansas City is significantly lower (-15% overall) but it really seems like there's less to do there.

No clue on how bike friendly either one is...both look pretty damn flat and boring for the most part...

grim
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 02:22 PM
KS = shit don't do it!

Sean
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Minn is a pretty fun town. There's a fair amount of stuff to do/night life. Great if you like fishing/camping/hunting and general outdoors activities. Yup. it's flat, but there are a shit load of lakes. Downside is that it gets nice and cold dec-feb. Not sure about sportbike stuff up there, but there's a good ADV scene if you want to get in the dirt.

modette99
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 02:32 PM
How old are you? Married, Girlfriend? Do you go out and drink a lot?

I know a guy that had to move to KSC as his job moved him there against his will. This guy parties, big time drinker, likes the night life. Well not much of it there, he is sad. He hates it enough he has been trying to get the company (Child Donation Charity) to move him to a 3rd world country.

Rent is dirt cheap, he pays $900 a month right downtown for the top floor of a place that is like 1,300 sq feet and is very nice. There is BBQ, lots of it. But not much else goes on. He picked downtown as that is where in Cities the fun happens, nope not much going on there...LOL

If you are married and tied down, KSC is probably an okay place to live. Riding I would think has to SUCK. Its so flat, I drive through there a lot I tend to take back dirt roads as its more exciting then I70...LOL

I would think it be better then 'Minneapolis' though, that seems like a very far north city where you get to deal with extreme cold plus it being boring and flat. I guess if you HAD to pick, I go with KSC...at least a short days drive you can be back on the front range to ride int he mountains if you have a long weekend. If I recall it takes me 8 hours to drive it to Colorado Springs, so leave early you can be here by 1pm-2pm.

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Minn is a pretty fun town. There's a fair amount of stuff to do/night life. Great if you like fishing/camping/hunting and general outdoors activities. Yup. it's flat, but there are a shit load of lakes. Downside is that it gets nice and cold dec-feb. Not sure about sportbike stuff up there, but there's a good ADV scene if you want to get in the dirt.

I think if I was out there, I'd have to get into ADV just to have something to do bike-wise, I'm not seeing any canyons or twisties on Google Maps...

I would think it be better then 'Minneapolis' though, that seems like a very far north city where you get to deal with extreme cold plus it being boring and flat. I guess if you HAD to pick, I go with KSC...at least a short days drive you can be back on the front range to ride int he mountains if you have a long weekend. If I recall it takes me 8 hours to drive it to Colorado Springs, so leave early you can be here by 1pm-2pm.

Yeah, Google Maps puts KC at roughly 10hrs from Denver, Minneapolis is 14.

I'm not a partier/drinker so I'd probably try for a place in a suburb, near parks/trails if possible so I can get back to running/biking and back in shape.

Most likely I'd leave my bike here so I could just fly out for the weekend, ride, then head back. I'd have enough of a flex schedule that I could leave work Friday afternoon and not be back until Monday afternoon, so I'd have the whole weekend in Denver.

The bone-chilling cold seems like a big negative to Minneapolis, but maybe you just sit in Starbucks and suck down coffee.

KC is pretty damn cheap, and close if I did drive, but it seems kinda run down and there doesn't seem to be as much "culture" as far as museums and shit to waste time at indoors when winter hits...

Meh...

grim
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Why would you want to leave Colorado?

Sean
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 02:48 PM
http://www.mnsportbikeriders.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Why would you want to leave Colorado?

Don't really want to, but this would get me back working for a manufacturer (as I was prior to being laid off).

I've actually got one chance at an OEM job here in Denver, and I desperately, desperately want it, but it's a longshot and they've been dragging their feet with the entire process (started in April).

The one in KC/Mineapolis wants an answer tomorrow, so if I wait for the one here to make an offer then I lose the one in KC/Minneapolis...and if the one here doesn't come through then I'd be back to zero...

I agree though, neither KC or Minneapolis are close to where I'd like to live, but I'm not sure this local one will come through in time...

salsashark
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 02:56 PM
If I had to choose between the two, I'd have to go with KC. It's closer to CO and there are some great roads down into Arkansas. I couldn't deal with the extreme cold in MN.

Regarding the job situation. The best job is the one you have. I wouldn't pass on a sure thing in hopes of something only marginally better. You can always keep looking.

mdub
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 02:58 PM
i would go where it would be warmest..

Dietrich_R1
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Minneapolis is a lot of fun if you don't mind the weather! People are nice there... they have to be due to the weather!! There is really only 3 months of "summer" so the riding is pretty paethetic, along with only straight roads!!

Take one of the jobs...Bird in the hand kind of thing!!

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't pass on a sure thing in hopes of something only marginally better. You can always keep looking.

Yeah, that's the debate--take this one now. move to KC (or MN) and hope to somehow get back to Denver, or pass and put all hope in that local one coming through...

IF I could get the Denver one, then it'd be the best of all possible outcomes, but if I don't then it's probably wrapping burritos at Chipotle until hell freezes over...

i would go where it would be warmest..

I tried for a similar job in Hawaii and CA, didn't get an offer. :p

mdub
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:06 PM
good luck my man....go with KC. warmth and bbq...but most important ...gotta keep the money flowing to the bank acct.

aerofaze
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I was born/raised in Michigan, so I kind of know "cold."

That in itself doesn't necessarily bother me, but it's the damn gray gloominess that could linger for months in the wintertime. After being spoiled by Colorado's sunny days, I'm not sure I could endure a place where I can't see the sun for more than a week, especially when the snow doesn't just melt away within 2 days of a blizzard like it does here.

I'd make that a consideration: Which of these gets more sunshine?

mdub
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:13 PM
that is what a friend of mine said about chicago...the gloominess of winter

Sean
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Both similar: MN 95, KC 120

I guess being from Wisconsin, I don't worry about the cold as much either. It's really not that bad. Plus, get a snowmobile and a dirtbike and you'll be busy year round. Top it off with some sort of restoration project in the garage and you'll wonder where the time goes. I almost moved to MN recently (by choice) for a job. If it would have been better pay, I would have happily gone.

modette99
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Yep, Michigan you want to kill yourself, I know I did...LOL

Go with KC, close to CO like I said you can always come back whether you fly or drive it. I probably still look at a Dual Sport if you go to KC, plenty of farm roads to explore out there that are dirt.

Don't let the job pass you up, take it...if this other one comes through in Denver and you still want it in a month...then money/location talks. its when you go back and say, look I rather be in Denver, pay will be better "what can you do to beat that offer". Never know might say, we like how you have worked out we will beat the offer by X amount at which point staying in one of those other places might look real good.

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:27 PM

Best I can find:

Denver averages 277 days of potential sunny days

Kansas City 209
Minneapolis 201

KC has tornadoes, Minneapolis blizzards...

Keyser Soze
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Lived out in KC for a while. Prairie Village actually. There are a lot of nice...reeeally nice neighborhoods out there. Mission Hills, Leawood, Overland Park, and Blue Valley are some. The Plaza has a lotta good shopping and restaurants. All kinds of mom and pop shit all over that city. Like all cities there are ghetto parts and nice parts. Some good fishing...Missouri has a lot crap too. Winters aren't going to be nearly as bad as Minneapolis. Summers are probably about the same. Hot and humid. I've only ever been through Minneapolis and that place looked like a dump.

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Don't let the job pass you up, take it...if this other one comes through in Denver and you still want it in a month...then money/location talks. its when you go back and say, look I rather be in Denver, pay will be better "what can you do to beat that offer". Never know might say, we like how you have worked out we will beat the offer by X amount at which point staying in one of those other places might look real good.

It'd be jumping companies, not sure how it'd look to take one in KC for a month then try to bail and jump back--but if the company here doesn't care then I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'd actually take a pay cut to stay here, most of my family and friends are here, I'm from here, and even when I moved away for college and grad school I wanted to move back asap. "No place like home" is definitely true, at least for Denver/Colorado etc. I love the sun, I love the mountains, and anytime I traveled for work, or when I was relocated to NJ for 14mo, I just hated the humidity and how heavy everything felt.

Here I can split the rent, out there I'm on my own, so coming back here would be a savings in my monthly cost of living, which means I could go for a lower salary and still be here...

Meh.

jbnwc
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Either city is good IMO.

I can't say much about KC, but since I'm from MN, I would recommend you choose Minneapolis if you like the following:

Lakes - boating, fishing, wakeboarding, jetskis, etc
Snowmobiling
Scandinavians
Hockey/Ice skating
Anything else that can be done on ice

You'll soon add a boat/jetski and a snowmobile to your garage.

MN will have a lot more trees and a lot more water compared to KC. Also, if you stay along the rivers or go into Wisconsin, there are a number of twisties to be found.

However, if you can't handle bone chilling cold Nov-Feb., stay out of Minnesota. Also, if you don't enjoy driving on ice, stay away from MN.

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Lived out in KC for a while. Prairie Village actually. There are a lot of nice...reeeally nice neighborhoods out there. Mission Hills, Leawood, Overland Park, and Blue Valley are some. The Plaza has a lotta good shopping and restaurants. All kinds of mom and pop shit all over that city.

How pricey is a "nice" area to live in?

And can you find nice places (like a townhome) for rent with a garage or is it all just apartments and the bike has to sit in the parking lot waiting to be stolen?

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:42 PM
You'll soon add a boat/jetski and a snowmobile to your garage.

However, if you can't handle bone chilling cold Nov-Feb., stay out of Minnesota. Also, if you don't enjoy driving on ice, stay away from MN.

Actually, I still have a JetSki rotting being my mother's barn, probably not worth resurrecting at this point but it was fun when I was a kid.

I can drive on ice, in fact I love driving in winter, and I diddle around with RallyX out here, so if that's there then maybe I'd get to do some of that.

As to cold...I hate the fucking cold. Like skiing, like driving in it, hate being cold...and as Aero pointed out, I'm not fond of long, grey winters either...

Keyser Soze
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I havent lived out there for a while. But when I was out there the cost of living out there is way less than CO. I think we paid 600 for a 2 bedroom apt with 2 covered spots when I was out there. There are new apt. complexes and townhomes in new Leawood and Overland park with garages and covered parking. Take a weekend and run around?

Thanksgiving the do the lighting of the Plaza. Fun time.

http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/176/800/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_54767.jpg

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Take a weekend and run around?

heh, would if I could, they just called me this morning and they want an answer either tonight or tomorrow morning...

Keyser Soze
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Holy crap. Well IMO KC. Only thing I ever found wrong with that place was no mountains. Single?

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Holy crap. Well IMO KC. Only thing I ever found wrong with that place was no mountains. Single?

I was a bit surprised by it myself--totally out of the blue after months of being "in process".

No, not single, though I'd be going out there solo...the job is 60+ hours a week, traveling from KC to Joplin, Columbia, Des Moines, Topeka, so not likely to have much of a social life anyway.

Keyser Soze
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I was gonna say, in and around UMKC...tons...and tons of good lookin Kansas girls. I was out there a couple weeks ago. Still going to chiropractor to get rid of the neck pain.

I went canoeing out near Joplin. Pretty area. Get too far out into the stick of MO it can get weird.

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I was gonna say, in and around UMKC...tons...and tons of good lookin Kansas girls. I was out there a couple weeks ago. Still going to chiropractor to get rid of the neck pain.

I went canoeing out near Joplin. Pretty area. Get too far out into the stick of MO it can get weird.

"Deliverance" weird?

Joplin had that deadly tornado a while ago, something I'd like to not be part of.

Zach929rr
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Ask Vehicle_1 on here. He just moved from Denver to Minni.

Keyser Soze
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM
"Deliverance" weird?

Joplin had that deadly tornado a while ago, something I'd like to not be part of.

Yeah Deliverance weird. Stopped for gas somewhere out there and there were 15 dudes in the gas station, dirty as fuck, no shoes, in daisy dukes, and no shirts. Pay at the pump FTW

sprtbkbabe
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM
KC!

Only because:

1 -Minnesota has no roadcourse tracks

2 -Missouri Roadcourse Tracks = Zero http://www.racereview.com/missouri.htm

However:
Kansas Tracks = :rock: Heartland in Topeka http://www.racereview.com/kansas.htm

'nuff said

Keyser Soze
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 04:15 PM
KC!

Only because:

2 -Missouri Roadcourse Tracks = Zero http://www.racereview.com/missouri.htm

However:
Kansas Tracks = :rock: Heartland in Topeka http://www.racereview.com/kansas.htm

'nuff said

and when you get bored and want to stay in town you can just run the clover leafs :lol:

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Yeah Deliverance weird. Stopped for gas somewhere out there and there were 15 dudes in the gas station, dirty as fuck, no shoes, in daisy dukes, and no shirts. Pay at the pump FTW

Yie. And I want to leave Denver, Why?

Ask Vehicle_1 on here. He just moved from Denver to Minni.

Cool, thanks man.

KC!

Only because:

'nuff said

True, but Road America is in Elkhart Lake WI (5-6hrs)

http://roadamerica.com/FanInformation/Maps.asp

rybo
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
KC!

Only because:

You forget Brainerd International Raceway! Simply the fastest and most "puckering" Turn 1 anywhere!

http://www.brainerdraceway.com/road-racing/overview.html

Keyser Soze
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 04:58 PM

Been there too. Awesome place. Definately worth a little road trip. You can also hit up Johnsonville where they make the brats right down the road.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Mean1967/DSCN6570.jpg

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Been there too. Awesome place. Definately worth a little road trip. You can also hit up Johnsonville where they make the brats right down the road.

Never been, only seen it on tv but it looks like a pretty cool track. I'd definitely hit it if/when I could if I go out there.

Johnsonville have a free tour? That'd be cool (and free lunch!). :yumyum:

JKOL
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 05:25 PM
and when you get bored and want to stay in town you can just run the clover leafs :lol:

I lived there the first 30 years of my life, he isn't kidding. Sportbike scene is nothing like here unless you think bike nights is all riding a sportbike has to offer. I can't ever think of a time I saw a rider wearing full leathers. Full gear in KS means jeans and a hoodie with Oakley sunglasses. I forgot who mentioned it, but there are parts of MO and AR that have amazing backcountry highway rides. 2 lane twisty roads that wind through beautiful hilly and Ozark mountain country. Topeka is an hour from downtown and I know Heartland Park does regular track days if you are into that kind of thing.

Weather will be much better than Minneapolis. Summers are hot and humid, winters get pretty cold in January/February. The humidity makes the cold feel much worse than Denver. Ice storms are a bitch, and not uncommon in the late fall. If you like thunderstorms, nothing better than the midwest in the spring. That is one thing I have missed. Denver has a higher frequency of severe hail. Denver also has far more tornado activity than Kansas City, just more localized to one area and less powerful. I have been in more hail storms in 2 years in Denver, than 30 in Kansas City. I have also been closer to more tornadoes here, than in Kansas City.

Kansas City is actually quite hilly, nothing compared to Denver, but not flat like most seem to think. I think most people hit eastern CO and western KS and expect the rest of the state to be the same. Plenty of hunting and fishing/boating can be done at numerous lake within 30 minutes of downtown KC. Minneapolis has probably 100 times the number of lakes, but mosquitoes up north there are like hummingbirds and you can't be out after dark near water unless you want to be dinner. I have 1st hand experience. There are actually some challenging mountain bike trails around the area, just nothing like what Denver has to offer, but enough to keep you active if you ride 2 wheelers other than the motorized kind.

As far as BBQ goes, the worst I have had in KC is 10 times better than anything I have had in Denver. Anthony Bourdain listed Oklahoma Joe's on his bucketlist of 13 places to eat before you die. This list included his favorite restuarants from around the world. Yes, it is that good, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

The only thing that makes Denver's cost of living tolerable is the mountains. I had a brand new house, 3 car garage, 4 bed/3 bath, 2300SF for under $250K. Schools are excellent, and I was 20 minutes from the plaza and heart of downtown. Prairie Village is a very nice older area, southern Overland Park and Leawood in KS are very similar to Highlands Ranch. There are plenty of townhouses/apartments with attached garages for your toys. Missouri side has some nice areas too up around the Northland near the airport or Lee's Summit. I would stay away from the Missouri side of KC anywhere near downtown, it gets scary quick. Brookside would be the only exception to the rule. Traffic is so much better in KC than Denver. Rush hour lasts an hour at most. Unlike I-25 downtown, you will never see a weekend traffic jam unless there is road work, accident, or major sporting event close by.

Here is a realestate site that is big in KC. http://www.reeceandnichols.com/

I should have left work awhile ago, so if you have any questions, feel free to pm me. If you want to talk, send me your # and I can call you when I get home.

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I lived there the first 30 years of my life, he isn't kidding. Sportbike scene is nothing like here unless you think bike nights is all riding a sportbike has to offer. I can't ever think of a time I saw a rider wearing full leathers. Full gear in KS means jeans and a hoodie with Oakley sunglasses. I forgot who mentioned it, but there are parts of MO and AR that have amazing backcountry highway rides. 2 lane twisty roads that wind through beautiful hilly and Ozark mountain country. Topeka is an hour from downtown and I know Heartland Park does regular track days if you are into that kind of thing.

Weather will be much better than Minneapolis. Summers are hot and humid, winters get pretty cold in January/February. The humidity makes the cold feel much worse than Denver. Ice storms are a bitch, and not uncommon in the late fall. If you like thunderstorms, nothing better than the midwest in the spring. That is one thing I have missed. Denver has a higher frequency of severe hail. Denver also has far more tornado activity than Kansas City, just more localized to one area and less powerful. I have been in more hail storms in 2 years in Denver, than 30 in Kansas City. I have also been closer to more tornadoes here, than in Kansas City.

Kansas City is actually quite hilly, nothing compared to Denver, but not flat like most seem to think. I think most people hit eastern CO and western KS and expect the rest of the state to be the same. Plenty of hunting and fishing/boating can be done at numerous lake within 30 minutes of downtown KC. Minneapolis has probably 100 times the number of lakes, but mosquitoes up north there are like hummingbirds and you can't be out after dark near water unless you want to be dinner. I have 1st hand experience. There are actually some challenging mountain bike trails around the area, just nothing like what Denver has to offer, but enough to keep you active if you ride 2 wheelers other than the motorized kind.

As far as BBQ goes, the worst I have had in KC is 10 times better than anything I have had in Denver. Anthony Bourdain listed Oklahoma Joe's on his bucketlist of 13 places to eat before you die. This list included his favorite restuarants from around the world. Yes, it is that good, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

The only thing that makes Denver's cost of living tolerable is the mountains. I had a brand new house, 3 car garage, 4 bed/3 bath, 2300SF for under $250K. Schools are excellent, and I was 20 minutes from the plaza and heart of downtown. Prairie Village is a very nice older area, southern Overland Park and Leawood in KS are very similar to Highlands Ranch. There are plenty of townhouses/apartments with attached garages for your toys. Missouri side has some nice areas too up around the Northland near the airport or Lee's Summit. I would stay away from the Missouri side of KC anywhere near downtown, it gets scary quick. Brookside would be the only exception to the rule. Traffic is so much better in KC than Denver. Rush hour lasts an hour at most. Unlike I-25 downtown, you will never see a weekend traffic jam unless there is road work, accident, or major sporting event close by.

Here is a realestate site that is big in KC. http://www.reeceandnichols.com/

I should have left work awhile ago, so if you have any questions, feel free to pm me. If you want to talk, send me your # and I can call you when I get home.

Wow, that's some great insight, and just what I was looking for.

I was told that Olathe/Jefferson County or Overland Park were nice areas so that seems to match up with what you said.

The cost of living definitely seems way better than here, and according to the online calculator I used, Minneapolis is the same as Denver, so that's no savings.

I guess the bigger question I need to figure out is whether it's worth leaving Denver for KC, and that's hard to answer. "Career" vs "life" isn't easy to calculate...

Thanks for your help, I'll PM you my # just in case you've got more ideas/input.

Keyser Soze
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Think you mean Johnson county...

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Think you mean Johnson county...

Thanks Keyser, thinking of JeffCo here, yeah, meant Johnson County.

sprtbkbabe
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 07:10 PM

Shut it Mr Illinois. :slap: How's that working for you up there? :lol:

You forget Brainerd International Raceway! Simply the fastest and most "puckering" Turn 1 anywhere!

http://www.brainerdraceway.com/road-racing/overview.html

Oh! Yummy. :yumyum:

However, the weather is a tad nicer further south

OK

We've voted KC for you, John. Buy a big house so we can all visit :hibye:

**Oh, and this is coming to Texas next year. You'll be ALOT closer :devil1:

http://www.theaustingrandprix.com/

sprtbkbabe
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Oh, what's the consensus on quality strip clubs in either locale? I hear that makes for important decision making in moving out of state... :o

Scatterbrain
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Definately Minneapolis. I grew up in Sioux Falls which is like 4hours from Minneapolis and about 6hours away from KC. Trust me Minne was the much cooler city and a crap ton of more to do. Along with much cooler people and better concerts and citylife. If i had to move back to the MW it'd prob be Minneapolis. Or don't do it and stay here like we all know you want too.

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM
We've voted KC for you, John. Buy a big house so we can all visit :hibye:

**Oh, and this is coming to Texas next year. You'll be ALOT closer :devil1:

You're all more than welcome to come out, visit and tour the flatlands anytime you'd like. :D

As to that GP track, yeah, I've been drooling over it since I heard about it, and whether I'm here, there, or somewhere else, once they open it to Track Days, I'm figuring SOME way to get out on that track...

Or don't do it and stay here like we all know you want too.

Lol, that is definitely the the truth...no matter how good the offer is (I'll know after I tell them yes or no to the location), Denver is and always will be home, and home's a damn nice place to be...if this job were here, it'd be perfect...

JKOL
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 07:57 PM
aerial view of Heartland Park Topeka
http://www.hpt.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=262&Itemid=220

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 08:00 PM
aerial view of Heartland Park Topeka
http://www.hpt.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=262&Itemid=220

Thanks man, and thanks for the call with the info!

Kinda reminds me of PMP

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Minneapolis is a lot of fun if you don't mind the weather! People are nice there... they have to be due to the weather!! There is really only 3 months of "summer" so the riding is pretty paethetic, along with only straight roads!!

Ok, I didn't read all of the replies yet but...

only straight roads? the land of 10,000 lakes must just put bridges over all of them to keep the roads straight.

I grew up in northwest suburbs of Minneapolist. Folks currently live in Milaca and I still own a house in Cumberland WI.

There are two weeks of unbearable heat and humidity in the summer.
There are two weeks of unbearable cold and wind chills in the winter.
Beyond that it really isn't all that bad. I've traveled a lot of places and would move back there if I things in CO weren't working out.

Sport bikes will be more limited season and more dangerous (deer) in both locations than here. I miss ice fishing there. The girls will be heavier. Lots of snowmobiling and ATV miles.

I've rode my VFR back and forth to MN and WI. Frequently make the trip in one day in the cage and have done it once in one day on the bike.

JKOL
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Sport bikes will be more limited season and more dangerous (deer) in both locations than here.

I forgot to mention the deer. They are so thick in Kansas/Missouri the park near where I grew up, started closing earlier some nights. Park Rangers would set out feed, and then hunters were allowed to come in and shoot all the deer. They did this regularly and were barely thinning out the population. They even went as far as legalizing bow hunting in city limits. It isn't uncommon to see 2-3 deer carcasses on the side of the highway in a 5 mile stretch.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 08:42 PM
as I recall, but haven't verified, Mini is far less crime.

Kansas city = vomit

couldn't pay me enough to move there

would return to MN

Cornfed
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Ill keep it short. Spent 34 years right between the two and have made several trips to both cities. I choose KC. MN is a great town but if you ride, and you do, KC is a better choice. IMO.
Either way Congrats!

The Black Knight
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I forgot to mention the deer. They are so thick in Kansas/Missouri the park near where I grew up, started closing earlier some nights. Park Rangers would set out feed, and then hunters were allowed to come in and shoot all the deer. They did this regularly and were barely thinning out the population. They even went as far as legalizing bow hunting in city limits. It isn't uncommon to see 2-3 deer carcasses on the side of the highway in a 5 mile stretch.
Wish they did that here in CO.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 09:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1mBk3UUPcg

not to mention the northern border of WI along lake Superior

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 09:24 PM
more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnwwjQGjtIo

and the MN State Fair is flippin awesome. http://www.mnstatefair.org/

country jam http://wi.countryjam.com/

snowmobile water skipping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wM-K63hGgo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wM-K63hGgo)
^^AWESOME vid

Ice racing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-MyyDiBRio

Keyser Soze
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Shut it Mr Illinois. :slap: How's that working for you up there? :lol:

I'm in Phoenix now, dear :D The land of straight roads, heat, and pollution.

On my way out :lol:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Mean1967/2010-12-12_13-37-56_367-1.jpg?t=1302620754

Ghost
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Tinker, Corn, thanks for the input, this isn't as clear-cut as I'd hoped :p

Ghost
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I said I'd prefer KC, we'll see what happens, it's not guaranteed so I might still be here anyway.

JKOL
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I said I'd prefer KC, we'll see what happens, it's not guaranteed so I might still be here anyway.

Good luck.

Ghost
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Good luck.

Thanks man, to be honest, I'm just glad it's out of my hands now. :lol: