PDA

View Full Version : first track bike

sag
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 10:17 PM
looking at getting a dedicated bike this winter for trackdays and was just wondering what peoples experiences were with getting their first and what tips you might all have, what you wouldve done differently etc...

im thinking just whichever the best deal i can find on a 2000ish japanese 600 thats been prepared already. thoughts?

UglyDogRacing
Wed Oct 19th, 2011, 11:06 PM
here's one for you- http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=13939

Bueller
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Get a 250 and learn the corner speed, ride all the time @ IMI for cheap.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43132

tecknojoe
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Get a 250 and learn the corner speed, ride all the time @ IMI for cheap.

I have been debating this or an R6 all season. balls.

Sean
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Sag- I'm no expert (but I do play one on the internet) but I did buy my first trackbike a few years back. I just watched the CSC and MRA boards for a cheap one. I didn't have any specifics I was looking for, just an affordable bike that I could crash and not care. I wound up with an 01r6 for $2k and it was great. Not the best bike ever, but I had a shit load of fun taking it to the track and not worrying (as much) about crashing. And when I did crash it, I got some spare parts from some awesome people riding that day and was back out riding in the afternoon session.

I just looked for a bike that had been raced by someone in the MRA. That way it would meet all of my req. Track plastics, safety wired, stabilizer, sliders, rear sets and case covers. Plus, alot of them have even more stuff, better shocks, exhaust, gearing and spare parts. That way if I ever wanted to try and race, I was all set.

The 03 r6 looks solid to me. Good luck!

rybo
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 07:39 AM
So I've been at this a while - I got my first trackbike in 2002 and got my race license weeks after that. Since that time I've had the great pleasure of owing and riding a bunch of track specific bikes - here is my advice for your first trackbike:

1) Buy something that's already prepped. You can buy a salvage bike and convert it, and at first look this is going to seem cheaper, but it's not. Bodywork, good suspension etc all take time and money to install. Get a bike that someone else has already done this work on so that you can spend your time riding, not wrenching.

2) Get something common - there are 1000's of 4 cylinder 600's out there for every weirdo ducati - trust me. When you need a part at the track, or even away from the track finding the parts for these bikes is way easier.

3) It's not a fashion show - if it's a race bike, it's probably been crashed. Worry less about how it looks and more about how it works. Test ride it just like you would a street bike. Look for obvious leaks, make sure it shifts easily through the gears and that it starts well from cold. Ask the previous owner about any 'major' incidents with the bike and how they went about repairing it afterwards. Even a highside isn't a big deal if the bike is put back together well and the frame is straight.

4) Start small - there is almost no one who can actually ride a modern(ish) sportbike to it's full potential. Start with a 600 or a SV 650 - you'll learn about riding the motorcycle instead of simply twisting the throttle. Almost everyone quickly learns how to use 100% of the throttle control, almost no one learns the true limits of braking and cornering.

5) You aren't Rossi - My days at the racetrack got much more fun when I finally realized that I was never going to get paid to ride a motorcycle. I'm a moderately fast club racer guy. Uglydog is a properly fast club racer guy. Neither of us are going to get picked up by a pro team, because they already have guys that are actually fast. Use the track with the intention of developing skill and having fun and you'll have far more enjoyable days.

There are lots of great resources right here in Colorado - I would strongly suggest buying your bike locally from one of the local racers. Most of the people in the MRA are great folks who will be fully honest about what they are selling. Ask other MRA racers what they think of the bike, a lot of us have been on the track with it and can say if it's a heaping pile that's held together with duct tape or a well maintained machine that's done some racing. (for what it's worth, heaping piles usually don't pass tech in the MRA). The bike that Uglydog linked to is an excellent choice.

Hope that helps

UglyDogRacing
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 09:51 AM
and another - http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2652781973.html

Sean
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 10:30 AM
here's one for you- http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=13939

and another - http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2652781973.html

Both good bikes, but the 03 is going to have FI. Something I would have liked on my 99 r6 track bike.

Slo
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Just have money available and jump on a deal if you find a really good one. Had a friend that wanted a cheap track bike, waited and just like that....the right one came around.

04 GSXR600 motor work, full suspension, tons of spares; clip ons, clutch, levers, rear sets, body work
Also came with front/rear stands and warmers.
Bought it for 2k

Cornfed
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 10:42 AM
SV650. Cheap, you can swap on lots of Gixxer parts, and they are absolutely a blast!!!
Had one, loved it, would, and will, do it again!!!

Trying to upload a picture of my old track whore but dont know how, help....

McVaaahhh
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Don't have much to add other than it's an expensive addiction. :D

Ghost
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 10:55 AM
To the OP:

Fwiw, I had 1999 F4 as my track bike for 10yrs, it was never the fastest thing (even in 1999 the R6 was better) but it did its job without any issues/complaints and it survived a few of my "Oops" moments without any real damage. Since I wasn't ever going to need to shave 1/10ths of seconds off to win a $1M prize, it was fine for learning.

I also had an SV650 for a brief time, as did two of my friends who had track/race bikes.

Another buddy has a 2000 GSXR750 that he got cheap.

Really, the type/make of bike doesn't matter, just find a cheap, good bike (mechanically, cosmetics don't matter) and go with it.

Trying to upload a picture of my old track whore but dont know how, help....

Can't, it's disabled. Have to upload to Photobucket or something like it and then hot link back to here.

Cornfed
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Really, the type/make of bike doesn't matter, just find a cheap, good bike (mechanically, cosmetics don't matter) and go with it.

Agreed.

Can't, it's disabled. Have to upload to Photobucket or something like it and then hot link back to here.

Too much work.

drago52
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Do you have to have plastics on your bike to race it with the MRA?

tecknojoe
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM

A belly pan to catch fluids is definitely required

as for uppers I'm not sure. there are some types of bikes that race without them

Sean
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Do you have to have plastics on your bike to race it with the MRA?Not for Super Street.

rybo
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 11:15 AM

You need some way of containing fluids in the bellypan.

Other than that there is no requirement that a motorcycle have a fairing.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 11:16 AM
There actually is not a rule in our rulebook that states you must run fairings under 5.3 Motorcycle Technical Requirements. However as tecknojoe pointed out, all 4-stroke motorcycles the fairing bottom must be constructed in such a fashion as to form a fluid catch pan capable of retaining a minimum of 3 quarts.
Also, a plate or display area is required on the front and each side of the motorcycle so that race number is clearly visible.
If you become an expert and run supersport classes, you will be required to run bodywork that is the same size and dimensions as original parts.

drago52
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 02:16 PM
So, would a bellypan like this work?

http://s1.visordown.com/uploads/images/huge/42466.jpg

It doesn't look like it could hold 3 quarts (or anything for that matter). Does the bellypan need to be directly under the engine? I might have to fabricate one for my streetfighter, so I'd like to know what the requirements are. Also, can the subframe be modified? I ask, because mine is..

tecknojoe
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I've seen a guy use a turkey pan from the grocery store :lol:

UglyDogRacing
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 02:23 PM
So, would a bellypan like this work?

http://s1.visordown.com/uploads/images/huge/42466.jpg

It doesn't look like it could hold 3 quarts (or anything for that matter). Does the bellypan need to be directly under the engine? I might have to fabricate one for my streetfighter, so I'd like to know what the requirements are. Also, can the subframe be modified? I ask, because mine is..

If it doesn't hold 3 quarts, it will not work. Most racers with naked bikes will use a turkey baster pan and it does need to be directly under the motor to catch any oil or coolant that may spew out.
Subframe can be modified.

drago52
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 02:29 PM
ha, ok, great. thanks for the info.

Cornfed
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 02:50 PM
5) You aren't Rossi - My days at the racetrack got much more fun when I finally realized that I was never going to get paid to ride a motorcycle. I'm a moderately fast club racer guy. Uglydog is a properly fast club racer guy. Neither of us are going to get picked up by a pro team, because they already have guys that are actually fast.

Ah come on. Way to crush my dreams. Im only 35, I still got a chance at a factory ride, dont I? :puppy:

grim
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Ah come on. Way to crush my dreams. Im only 35, I still got a chance at a factory ride, dont I? :puppy:

Not with the way you throw your lip around at Officers of the Law you don't hold yourself to i higher standard to the community. :lol: