PDA

View Full Version : Red light camera program to end in C. Springs

salsashark
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Came across this on another forum and thought you might be interested to know...

'Public opinion' factored into city ending red-light cameras

A week after hailing them as a high-tech way to make the city’s streets safer, Colorado Springs police said Tuesday they plan to stop using cameras to catch red-light runners by the end of the year.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/light-126947-red-chief.html#ixzz1bMIpT6AF

Sparker
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 08:05 PM
They are also ending the DUI check point program, which I think is incredibly stupid.

madvlad
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Welcome to funding cuts...

Zanatos
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I never understood how mailing out a photo radar ticket two weeks after someone speeds 90 mph in a 40 mph zone makes anyone safer.

I also never understood how mailing out a red light camera ticket two weeks after someone runs a light makes anyone safer.

I used to be the public relations manager for safety programs at the Colorado Department of Transportation, and I can honestly tell you that the sole purpose of photo radar and red light cameras is to generate revenue.

Generally speaking, intersections with red light cameras usually see a large increase in the numbers of rear-end collisions. Apparently, a lot of people are afraid of getting a $150 ticket - so they prefer to slam on their brakes and cause an accident when a light turns yellow.

jbnwc
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 09:56 AM
I never understood how mailing out a photo radar ticket two weeks after someone speeds 90 mph in a 40 mph zone makes anyone safer.

I also never understood how mailing out a red light camera ticket two weeks after someone runs a light makes anyone safer.

I used to be the public relations manager for safety programs at the Colorado Department of Transportation, and I can honestly tell you that the sole purpose of photo radar and red light cameras is to generate revenue.

Generally speaking, intersections with red light cameras usually see a large increase in the numbers of rear-end collisions. Apparently, a lot of people are afraid of getting a $150 ticket - so they prefer to slam on their brakes and cause an accident when a light turns yellow.

Anyone who thinks any of this stuff is about "safety" is kidding themselves. Safety is just the buzzword that has a way of getting anything and everything approved nowadays. Just like you said, when it comes to radar traps, cameras, or traffic cops, there is only one purpose: revenue.

DeeStylez
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 10:15 AM
I'm curious to see what the end of year stats are on accidents at those intersections with the red light cameras. I was photo'd @ 8th and Speer months back and that red light violation cost me $75 and another $10 went for some crazy admin fee for the rental car I was driving. Believe Me I keep an eye out for those crapy cameras now lol.

Bashed
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 01:13 PM
I'm curious to see what the end of year stats are on accidents at those intersections with the red light cameras. I was photo'd @ 8th and Speer months back and that red light violation cost me $75 and another $10 went for some crazy admin fee for the rental car I was driving. Believe Me I keep an eye out for those crapy cameras now lol.

You actually paid the fine sent to you in the mail?
By law you must be served, in person. The mailing is not being served.
It is a notice, thats all. The Gov is betting on you paying, and in your case they won. Throw those notices in the trash. Thats where they belong.

DeeStylez
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 01:42 PM
Just after I paid the fine I happen to see that article. Hopefully the funds go to something good :dunno:

jbnwc
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hopefully the funds go to something good :dunno:

:pointlaugh:

aerofaze
Fri Oct 28th, 2011, 09:31 AM
A follow-up article, saying the program ends THIS Monday.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/red-127428-light-program.html

Of the 4 intersections with cameras, my route from home to visit downtown's businesses had me going through 3 of these on a regular basis, and my accident a month ago occurred at the 4th. Lucky me! :D

Aaron
Sat Oct 29th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I hate the red light cameras too, so I'm not arguing that, but the rear end collisions can't be blamed on the cameras. You know as well as I do it's from people not paying attention.

Like our Judge said one day in court, if the guy in front of you is doing 75mph down I25 in the fast lane, and decides to slam his brakes so he can stop and take a picture of a mountain, you are still expected by law not to hit him.

d3spair
Sat Oct 29th, 2011, 10:18 PM
What a fucking joke that program was. They should get rid of all the motorcycle cops too.

csmith
Sat Oct 29th, 2011, 11:58 PM
What are the other cameras in the Springs? The red light cameras have those solar panels connected to them, but most every light I come across has a camera. What is the purpose of these?

Wrider
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Those are traffic detection cameras from what I gather. Basically there because the in-ground sensors the city installed suck to tell when there's traffic waiting.

merkle
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Any word on whether or not they are gonig to get rid of the speeding camera-van? I've seen it couple of times around town.

Aaron
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Wrider is right, and they work fairly well too.

csmith
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Any word on whether or not they are gonig to get rid of the speeding camera-van? I've seen it couple of times around town.

In one of the articles in the Gazette they said the van was staying.

Zanatos
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I hate the red light cameras too, so I'm not arguing that, but the rear end collisions can't be blamed on the cameras. You know as well as I do it's from people not paying attention.

Like our Judge said one day in court, if the guy in front of you is doing 75mph down I25 in the fast lane, and decides to slam his brakes so he can stop and take a picture of a mountain, you are still expected by law not to hit him.

As you approach an intersection controlled by a traffic light, you are entering what traffic engineers call "the dilemma zone." The dilemma zone is the area where - when a light turns yellow - drivers must make a quick choice to stop or proceed through the intersection.

If getting through lights did not require subjective human judgment, then yellow traffic lights would be unnecessary, and traffic lights could go directly from green to red.

It is easy to say, "You should drive so that if someone slams on their brakes, you'll always be able to stop in time." But reality is more complicated.

Usually, when I leave plenty of following distance - someone inevitably cuts into that space. I am sure this happens to just about everyone.

As the weather gets colder and roads become slick, getting through dilemma zones that have red light cameras becomes a dangerous proposition.

If you happen to approach an intersection and the light changes while you are dead in the middle of the dilemma zone, you will slide through the intersection no matter how hard you try to stop in time.

But the traffic court judge is going to shrug his shoulders and say, "You should have driven more carefully so you could have stopped soon enough."

Luckily, this doesn't happen often. But it does happen. And it really sucks.