PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro or MacBook Air?

sloridr
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 10:09 AM
So I'm looking at Macs and want your opinion. I like the Mac Pro for the ability to upgrade it. The air for portability but with out a disc drive or the ability to upgrade......

WhaT are your opinions and why?

tecknojoe
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 10:15 AM
mac pro or macbook pro?

if your talking about macbook pro then get that. Disk drives and such are still usefull

Zach929rr
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 10:19 AM
Or, you could get a nice Windows laptop for half the price.

50sGrl
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 10:19 AM
I have the macbook pro and love it. It's not that cumbersome. And when I'm traveling and just want to have the ability to play online or check email with something smaller, I just take my ipad. :-)

asp_125
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 10:30 AM
Or, you could get a nice Windows laptop for half the price.

When my desktop Dell died, I spec'd out a new Win7 laptop with all the software that I would have to replace/upgrade to (16bit to 32bit) and the hardware I wanted, it came to within a few hundred dollars of a similar MacBook Pro. After having spent time fixing BSOD and drivers on Win systems and bloated Microsoft OS's I didn't want to deal with it anymore and got a Mac.

This: if you're a techie geek and can strip out all the bloated unecessary bits of the Windows OS, it's actually quite stable. My brother had a gaming system that he never turned off in 4years.

tecknojoe
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 11:03 AM
I did exact figures for my little sis's laptop. She was looking at any pc vs 13 inch macbook pro.

after considering every aspect including warrenties etc, my parents were looking at paying $300 for the fact that it's a mac.

for the right person it's absolutely worth it. I love the operating system(especially because it's unix based) and the hardware is great. You are paying extra when there are more affordable options, it's just vanity and preference at this point, and i love it

for average joe who wants facebook and email, there is no justification for buying a mac

laspariahs
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 11:06 AM
Might want to check out the new samsung series 7 laptops.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/30/samsung-unveils-series-7-laptops-we-go-hands-on/

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP700Z5A-S01US

Sean
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 11:19 AM
Pro. I'd only do the air if it were for a lot of traveling. I tote my Macbook around everywhere and it's not really an issue. I like/use the CD/DVD drive. Worth every mutha f'ing penny in my world.

grim
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM
Own a Macbook pretty awesome for video editing. I also own a Ipad awesome for everything else!

Ps. Fuck Windows!

TurboGizzmo
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 11:57 AM
Pro! The Air is just the bastardized toy of a Macbook and a iPad.

06R1
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 11:57 AM
A buddy of mine has an Air and he bought it and the protable drive off of EBay for about half the price of a new one...

asp_125
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 12:04 PM
Might want to check out the new samsung series 7 laptops.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/30/samsung-unveils-series-7-laptops-we-go-hands-on/

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP700Z5A-S01US

Aluminum chassis, backlit keyboard.. hmmm... familiar?

rforsythe
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 12:37 PM
Pro. I'd only do the air if it were for a lot of traveling. I tote my Macbook around everywhere and it's not really an issue. I like/use the CD/DVD drive. Worth every mutha f'ing penny in my world.

I do a lot of traveling and still carry a Pro, it's quite portable. The air is super light, but also with a smaller screen. My laptop becomes my primary workstation when I'm away from my desk, so I expect it to perform as such.

I have a Mac Pro desktop at work, MB Pro 15" for travel, and my personal laptop and main computer at home is also a MBP -- which I recently doubled the RAM and hard drive in, extending its life by quite a bit.

One note, if you're buying a MacBook Pro get the high-res anti glare screen. The resolution is great, and the matte finish is absolutely worth it. My #1 complaint with my personal laptop is it's the glossy screen, and the glare really annoys me at times. My work laptop has the other screen and it's a far better choice IMO.

laspariahs
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 01:04 PM
Aluminum chassis, backlit keyboard.. hmmm... familiar?

Yup, hence why he might want to check them out if he's interested in a macbook pro, it's a macbook pro with windows at half the cost.

birchyboy
Fri Oct 21st, 2011, 01:26 PM
Macbook Pro. The SSD in the Air is nice but the ability to upgrade is worth more to me.

Stuart Little
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
I have 2 MBP's either is great for travel, usually take the 13.3" for that and I feel very sure about it's durability and build quality, I never use the CD/DVD drive but I like having a larger hard drive even if it is slower than Flash Memory.

The reason I prefer MacBook Pro's over the Air is mainly because I "need" 8GB of RAM whereas the air I believe comes with 4 but cannot upgrade further.

If I'm just going on vacation and not working I'll just bring my iPad2.