PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Problem

Quick636
Fri Sep 5th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Maybe some of you wrenchheads can give me a headsup of what is going on :D

Dowshifting from 2nd to 1st, twice now the gear selector has gotten physically stuck down. When it gets stuck it is like the bike is in nuetral. I have to physically pull it up with my foot. Its only done it twice, but the two times it has done it have been in the past few days.

Second, from neutral I have a hard time getting it in gear. From a standstill, I push down to hit first, the light goes off but still no gear. I pull it up, try again but still no gear. If I rev it a little it will catch and kick it back up to neutral. Then I am able to get it into gear.

I adjusted the shifter a bit today, and am hoping that will solve some problems. Just wanted to get some opinions as to if there is actually a problem or not. Sun Kawasaki/Honda doesn't seem to think there is a problem yet.

GixxStunna
Tue Sep 9th, 2003, 12:10 AM
pretty common on new bikes. When at a stand still rock your bike either back or foreward while putting it in gear or let the clutch out just a tad. Nothing bad your bike is still being broke in and then it will go away.

Solinary
Wed Sep 10th, 2003, 01:29 PM
My bike is 3 years older than yours, but I have some trouble shifting as well. If I am downshifting sometimes it will not click into gear. So, I have to hold the shift lever down and release the clutch a tad to get it to catch. It will do this from a stop as well from 4th on down and in every gear sometimes. The bike also hates to find nuetral sometimes even though it has that whole positive neutral finder. I have asked some Kawa techies in both Alaska and here in Colorado and none of them said it was a malfunction. However, I am not so certain that it works as intended either.

Quick636
Thu Sep 11th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Well, adjusting the shifter helped quite a bit. I am still having the problem with getting the bike into gear, but from what I have read here and elsewhere that is pretty common in new bikes. Thanks for the replies fellas...

Anonymous
Thu Sep 11th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Kawi's just shift funny anyway... :|

Quick636
Thu Sep 11th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Well one thing I had no idea about that was brought to my attention, most bikes don't have syncros?!? I've been around cars most of my life so I didn't even think that bikes don't. Yeah, I have heard that Kawi transmission are kinda notchy.

I felt pretty stupid when I asked the Kawi guy if maybe the 1st gear syncro was bad...

Anonymous
Thu Sep 11th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Correct. The "sequential type" transmissions our bikes use are in constant mesh, however only one pair of gears is used to drive the bike at any given time.

Pick up a copy of "Sportbike Performance Handbook", you will learn volumes about these machines... :up:

-gary
Fri Sep 12th, 2003, 08:57 AM
I've heard of quite a few trans problems with the new R's.

Check out zx6r.com (when it comes back up).