PDA

View Full Version : Stoplight ticket...what should i expect

Owen_R6
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 07:04 PM
Hey everyone...

Was payin attention to the truck in front of me this afternoon and ended up goin through a light, not gonna argue it or anything but just want to see what I can expect as far as a fine goes.

I've read the fine is like $80 and I can try and get a deferral for it with a good driving record and could get a point deduction (from 4 to 2) or I could just pay it early and take 2 points.

I don't want to go to court so am going to call in 2 weeks once I receive the hard copy of the ticket to see what can be done...

Any insight as to what the fine will be or what I can realistically have happen???

I should also mention I'm pretty new here so this whole point system is brand new to me...definitely didn't have this bs in iowa haha

Thanks!

Nooch
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 07:21 PM
What department issued the ticket? Sometimes that makes a difference. I just got a ticket for "following too closely" in Boulder County and it carried a $122 fine. If your record is clean, you're usually more likely to get a plea bargain deal from the DA.

rfranks303
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 07:25 PM
I got one in aurora it was like 50 bucks no points or other bs. This was 2 years ago

madvlad
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 07:26 PM
My sister got a light ticket and it was just a fine of $120 but no points so I'm not sure if it depends on counties or what

Jmetz
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Yeah if it's a camera ticket there won't be points.

Owen_R6
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
It was in aurora at pretty much colfax/havana

Record is clean with no dings so hopefully ill luck out and it'll be the 50 with no pts as a plea bargain...maybe offer to do some community service or somethin

Definitely wasn't a camera ticket...the cop definitely made it known by blaring his damn sirens at me lol.

I was even nice...pulled into a parking lot so we weren't in the street, took the key out and placed it on my rear seat, stepped off the bike, helmet off, and placed my hands on my tank.

Hmm...

Nooch
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
It was in aurora at pretty much colfax/havana

Record is clean with no dings so hopefully ill luck out and it'll be the 50 with no pts as a plea bargain...maybe offer to do some community service or somethin

Definitely wasn't a camera ticket...the cop definitely made it known by blaring his damn sirens at me lol.

I was even nice...pulled into a parking lot so we weren't in the street, took the key out and placed it on my rear seat, stepped off the bike, helmet off, and placed my hands on my tank.

Hmm...

Only way for a plea bargain is to go in on your arraignment date. At worst, with a clean record, the DA will likely let you pay the fine and still take the pts reduction so you're not really risking anything by not mailing in the fine ahead of time. If the ticket is marked as a penalty assessment rather than a summons, you should be fine.

vort3xr6
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Ignore that shit. Make them show up an serve you personally.

sag
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 08:15 PM
it was a citation from an officer...

mxer
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Ignore that shit. Make them show up an serve you personally.

This. They admit they only have gone after only a handful of those that haven't paid. I still don't see how it's really legal.

Edit: I was under the impression it was a photo ticket.

Should have twisted the throttle and gotten the hell outa there.

stubbicatt
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 08:58 PM
This. They admit they only have gone after only a handful of those that haven't paid. I still don't see how it's really legal.

Edit: I was under the impression it was a photo ticket.

Should have twisted the throttle and gotten the hell outa there.

Bad advice. Eluding is 12 points, and eluding while driving recklessly is a felony.

4 points and a fine, or plea bargain to 1 point and a fine is better.

WolFeYeZ
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 09:31 PM
Bad advice. Eluding is 12 points, and eluding while driving recklessly is a felony.

Agreed. Maybe if he was already going 140 or something I could see throttle being an option :P

Owen_R6
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 09:57 PM
Yeah...running is a bad option to choose...I know this first hand (and own up to it) and vote nobody runs lol.

Well, wish me luck then everyone...hopefully it go in my favor! Ill call the DA in 2 weeks and see what I can work out.

Graphite675
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:03 PM
The only thing negotiable here is the points. Your going to pay the fine one way or another. Pay it early and take the 2 points, The state could care less about your points but they will get there money.

Owen_R6
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:23 PM
I don't care about the fine as much as I do about it goin against me for insurance reasons...id like to minimize the fine as much as possible though

Nooch
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
I don't care about the fine as much as I do about it goin against me for insurance reasons...id like to minimize the fine as much as possible though

You stand a chance of getting it reduced by the DA to a non-moving violation since your record is good. I'd ask the DA for a "defective vehicle" charge along with the full fine. Chances are good that he/she will take it. Most insurance outfits dont raise premiums based on non-moving violations.

Owen_R6
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:41 PM
Sounds like a good option to try...ill see what I can do

Thanks for the idea, jon!

bulldog
Mon Oct 24th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I don't care about the fine as much as I do about it goin against me for insurance reasons...id like to minimize the fine as much as possible though You can ask to take one of their "defensive driving" classes and it will usually keep you from losing points.

Zach929rr
Mon Oct 24th, 2011, 09:01 AM

Wrong. You must be personally served notice of violation (with photo radar tickets) for it to be effective.

And BTW, that is found in Colorado State Statute 42-4-110.5, since I know someone is going to ask.

WolFeYeZ
Mon Oct 24th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Wrong. You must be personally served notice of violation (with photo radar tickets) for it to be effective.

And BTW, that is found in Colorado State Statute 42-4-110.5, since I know someone is going to ask.

I'm not sure you have read the whole thread sir.