PDA

View Full Version : Almost made it

Clovis
Sun Oct 23rd, 2011, 05:11 PM
Today was pretty much the official "last day" of the 2011 riding season (excluding our winter riders).

After an entire season of fun times with zero tickets, I finally got pinched for speeding.

Fremont County on Hwy 50 just east of Coaldale. I saw him come around a corner and slowed down but it was too late. He kept going so I thought I was okay until a minute or two later when he was behind me. Uh oh.

Sheriff: What's the speed limit here?
Me: (Honestly I wasn't sure). Uhh is it 55?
Sheriff: No, try again
Me: How about 65? (Hopeful)
Sheriff: No, it's 50. I got a you at 80mph on radar.

After I gave him my license, reg and insurance he had me pull around the corner to a large parking area so we weren't doing this on the side of the road.

I apologized for the speeding and asked for a warning in lieu of a ticket (fat chance, but it never hurts to ask). He told me "Ohhh, not for that speed".

He did cut me a break though so I could mail in the ticket versus an automatic court appearance.

The kicker was when he asked me to promise I wouldn't speed anymore and I could only say "Ohh, come on now, that's like asking a sinner to promise not to sin!"

After that we started joking around and talking about motorcycles for another 10 minutes (he just recently sold his Goldwing). Turns out I met him briefly last Sunday on my way back from Taos (there was a accident that had traffic blocked so I struck up a conversation while I was waiting for the okay to pass).

Really cool Sheriff with a sense of humor, even though the fine is the same as a new set of tires.

Aside from the ticket, it was a great day for riding. A little cold going up Monarch but fairly warm everywhere else.

-Clovis

madvlad
Sun Oct 23rd, 2011, 05:24 PM
That sucks bro, well at least he was friendly.

DeeStylez
Sun Oct 23rd, 2011, 05:31 PM
Actually that deal there vs having a mandatory court appearane sounds like a win. My 30 over ticket in Arapahoe county cost me a fine and had to take a class so my points could be lowered in a plea deal. Was it a 6 or 8pt violation?

modette99
Sun Oct 23rd, 2011, 05:47 PM
I love how they act like 80mph is ohhhh sooo fast.

bornwildnfree
Sun Oct 23rd, 2011, 06:08 PM
Hehe well, could have been worse. I could have passed you and honked LMAO. Glad it was just a ticket man.

Clovis
Sun Oct 23rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I forgot about that. He mentioned that if I had to go to court it would mean the fine plus court cost and probably a driving class.

It the sheriff said "Don't make me go to court over this and I'll cut you a break".

A ticket is still a ticket though, it just could have been worse :)

Actually that deal there vs having a mandatory court appearane sounds like a win. My 30 over ticket in Arapahoe county cost me a fine and had to take a class so my points could be lowered in a plea deal. Was it a 6 or 8pt violation?

Clovis
Sun Oct 23rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
I was going what I thought was a leisurely pace :lol: Hwy 50 will support triple digit sweepers.

It's a 6 point ticket with a reduction to 4pts if paid within 20 days.

I love how they act like 80mph is ohhhh sooo fast.

modette99
Sun Oct 23rd, 2011, 10:00 PM
I wonder what would happen if you did go to court...LOL State Troop that taught the class I had to take said reason for no breaks was if they go to court and you mention he gave you a break then that means the cop lied on the speed you were going thus any information he gives is a lie and thus can not be trusted.

I have no idea if CO works that way, just what a State boy tried to claim in saying why they don't give breaks. Makes sense, but still Judges seem to do what they want now a days.

Clovis
Sun Oct 23rd, 2011, 10:12 PM
My understanding is it falls under officer discretion.

I won't be going to court on this one. I was speeding, guilty as charged and for all the fun I've had this year on the bike I was over due.

Besides, I'm really appreciative of the break he gave me. I would not want to give him a reason to not do the same for someone else. It's also entirely possible that I'll run into him again next year, I hit hwy 50 quite a lot on my bike :)

Nooch
Sun Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:13 PM
Its becoming super evident that owning a motorcycle in Colorado is going to be alot more expensive than owning a motorcycle in Indiana lol. Im in big trouble!

Glad you got a deal out of it Clovis, but still sucks. End of the month, seems like the LEOs are crawling right now.

Clovis
Sun Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:28 PM
Maybe that's it, who knows. I saw a few LEOs out today (about double what I normally see). I even thought to myself that I should take it easy but sometimes I don't listen.