PDA

View Full Version : Winter Snomobile Trip in January 2012

Cornfed
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 04:07 PM
The good riding days are gone for this year, not to say I wont put on layers and hit the foothills on a sunny day. As Grim Productions will soon show some of us are willing to ride in the wet, gravel, snow and ice but none of that is ideal.

I want to know if anyone is interested in planning a snowmobile trip this winter. I know its early but Ive been told its best to wait til end of January for the best powder. I dont have a sled but have rented and borrowed them before and had a blast. I have a buddy in Silverthorne that has been my guide in the past, but Id also take your input on places to ride and places to rent.
Anyone interested? :santa:

asp_125
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Can't remember if the place in Silverthorne lets you get up a little speed. There's also an outfit in Pando (near Redcliff) that lets you take sleds out unsupervised into the Vail Pass area. Pretty hefty deposit involved IIRC.

Chris
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I bought a sled about a month ago and ripped it up this weekend a bit near Empire, enough snow once up the hill, had some fun riding around above treeline.

I'd be down though. Me and a friend picked up some Ski-doo's and a trailer for a good price off c-list. Mine is a Ski-doo summit X 670

Cornfed
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I bought a sled about a month ago and ripped it up this weekend a bit near Empire, enough snow once up the hill, had some fun riding around above treeline.

I'd be down though. Me and a friend picked up some Ski-doo's and a trailer for a good price off c-list. Mine is a Ski-doo summit X 670

Sounds good. Ill update this thread as I get plans set.
I was told the snow isnt deep enough to cover the rocks and it tears tracks up. Any truth to do that?

Chris
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Where we went there was enough snow after unloading the sleds it was either pack or powder. no problems digging down to dirt with the track.

I did hit a big ass rock that was sticking out in the middle of powder and bent some shit on my sled but with another snow or two I think it will be ready to just tear it up like crazy.

Are you looking to buy one? If you rent one buy the insurance lol.

brennahm
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 09:09 PM
We rented up by Grand Lake last January. There's a nice big trail system up there and they let you just go out OR rent a guide. Had a blast, abused some engines, cost was very reasonable.

Cornfed
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 09:24 PM
We rented up by Grand Lake last January. There's a nice big trail system up there and they let you just go out OR rent a guide. Had a blast, abused some engines, cost was very reasonable.

Thx for the input, the plan is to rent. Probably only do it once or twice a year. Cant justify the investment, and maintenance. Id love to have my own sleds, but Id also like to have an SV race bike, a CRF, FJR, new truck, toy hauler......

grim
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I'm in and I'll fucking ride to wherever the sled rental is!!!

mastap07
Mon Oct 31st, 2011, 07:19 AM
+1 on grand lakes "on the trail" rental in january. ive been doing it the past 10 years with family and friends. typically we do the 4 hour rental (no guide with you so you can push the sled to your need for speed) it usually runs about $200 with rental and forest fee or whatever they call it. they do not have or need a deposit of any type they just take a copy of a credit card "just in case". they get brand new sleds every year so we've never run into any problems. theyll give you a map to scope out the forest and tell you which loops they have. they provide 1 piece suits and helmets (either a motocross lid or half lid with a flip down clear screen) and boots. you just need gloves. we use winter gloves because the grips are heated as well as the throttle so your not fighting the cold. i have some videos from a few years back but i dont have the ones from last years trip. here is the link to there website if you want.
http://www.onthetrailrentals.com/

tecknojoe
Mon Oct 31st, 2011, 07:23 AM
$200 per person or per sled/couple?

I might be down for this some time.

brennahm
Mon Oct 31st, 2011, 08:44 AM
On The Trail is where we went. GF did it for my birthday and my buddy came out from CA for it. We got 3 of the cheapest/weakest Ski-Doo's and tore it up for 4 hours. Think it was closer to $130-150 per sled. Nice people. 4 hours was more than enough time to have fun.

asp_125
Mon Oct 31st, 2011, 10:23 AM
If any of you are into backcountry powder skiing and riding here's a tip. You can chip in on one or two rental sleds and poach some of the great cat skiing operations areas up a Vail Pass.

mastap07
Mon Oct 31st, 2011, 11:36 AM
On The Trail is where we went. GF did it for my birthday and my buddy came out from CA for it. We got 3 of the cheapest/weakest Ski-Doo's and tore it up for 4 hours. Think it was closer to $130-150 per sled. Nice people. 4 hours was more than enough time to have fun.

its $140 for the slower ones which we used to get but if you have never ridden a sled before or only have ridden a few times it will be plenty fast. we go for the faster, more powerful sleds to have morefun in the flats, trail carving up and back and hill climbing! if you do go definately check out chicken hill and or supper chicken hill. most of super chicken hill is above tree line to give you an idea of how big it is.

madvlad
Mon Oct 31st, 2011, 11:53 AM
its $140 for the slower ones which we used to get but if you have never ridden a sled before or only have ridden a few times it will be plenty fast. we go for the faster, more powerful sleds to have morefun in the flats, trail carving up and back and hill climbing! if you do go definately check out chicken hill and or supper chicken hill. most of super chicken hill is above tree line to give you an idea of how big it is.

It was pretty fun last year for sure

Sleev
Mon Oct 31st, 2011, 12:34 PM
in for this

Cornfed
Mon Oct 31st, 2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Ill update this thread based on weather conditions and let everyone know what the final plans are.

Wrider
Tue Nov 1st, 2011, 12:57 AM
Just to add some more options and confusion... There are some sled rental places out of Buena Vista and Salida that bring the sleds up to the trailhead up on Cottonwood Pass. Lots of fun riding up that way.

Cornfed
Fri Dec 2nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Im trying to nail down the dates and get this set up. As you all know setting a group anything is like organizing a fart in a windstorm.
Im planning on doing Cottonwood Pass out of Buena Vista either Jan 28th or 29th or Feb 4th or 5th. I have some friends of friends who would be willing to lead since they ride sleds like we ride bikes and they know the trails up there. I have scouted out a couple of rental places and they all seem to range around $150+/- a day depending on how bad of a machine you want. They also have some two up touring sleds if you want to take the wife/husband/kid with and they dont want to drive their own.
http://www.coloradoadventurerentals.com/snowmobile_rentals/index.html
http://www.coloradosledcity.com/content.aspx?page_id=0&club_id=45117
http://www.extremesnowmobilerentals.com/rentals.html
I am running into most places wanting to do a 2 day minimum rental though. However if we get a big enough group we could also split it into 2 days, 6 people ride Sat and 6 people ride Sun, and cover the minimum that way. I can figure that out once we start to get a head count of committed........... riders? sledders? snowmobilers? skiers? Not sure what you call a guy who rides a snowmobile, hmmm.

Cornfed
Fri Dec 2nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
+1 on grand lakes "on the trail" rental in january. ive been doing it the past 10 years with family and friends. typically we do the 4 hour rental (no guide with you so you can push the sled to your need for speed) it usually runs about $200 with rental and forest fee or whatever they call it. they do not have or need a deposit of any type they just take a copy of a credit card "just in case". they get brand new sleds every year so we've never run into any problems. theyll give you a map to scope out the forest and tell you which loops they have. they provide 1 piece suits and helmets (either a motocross lid or half lid with a flip down clear screen) and boots. you just need gloves. we use winter gloves because the grips are heated as well as the throttle so your not fighting the cold. i have some videos from a few years back but i dont have the ones from last years trip. here is the link to there website if you want.
http://www.onthetrailrentals.com/

Im also strongly considering this. Show up, no trailer needed, pay the money, thrash the sled, get back in your warm SUV. Kinda has a factory rider feel to it.

grim
Fri Dec 2nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Im also strongly considering this. Show up, no trailer needed, pay the money, thrash the sled, get back in your warm SUV. Kinda has a factory rider feel to it.

Keep me posted on this the wife and i are totally down for this as long as the new house doesn't drain us.

cptschlongenheimer
Fri Dec 2nd, 2011, 11:36 AM
Keep me posted on this the wife and i are totally down for this as long as the new house doesn't drain us.

Are you familiar with the term "cashtration"?

cashtration - noun. The process of being rendered financially impotent immediately following the purchase of a house.

J/K.
But seriously, after buying our house/furnishing it/moving in, it took like two years to patch the holes in blew into my budget.

(yes, i have nothing thread worthy to contrib)

grim
Fri Dec 2nd, 2011, 11:40 AM
Are you familiar with the term "cashtration"?

cashtration - noun. The process of being rendered financially impotent immediately following the purchase of a house.

J/K.
But seriously, after buying our house/furnishing it/moving in, it took like two years to patch the holes in blew into my budget.

(yes, i have nothing thread worthy to contrib)

True however this purchase is being made on a VA loan= no down payment = *happy dance* shouldn't dent my pockets too horribly.

cptschlongenheimer
Fri Dec 2nd, 2011, 11:49 AM
True however this purchase is being made on a VA loan= no down payment = *happy dance* shouldn't dent my pockets too horribly.

Yeah, that's what I thought....
Then the wife decided we needed new carpet and paint in the bedrooms... and the floor needed refinished... and then we realized the kids now had their own rooms and bunk beds don't work very well for that...
before you know it, those little things will add up quick...

I'm done now. back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Cornfed
Fri Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:36 PM

Will do. I have some friend(s) coming from back home so they need a date. Ill give it a week or so then set the date.