PDA

View Full Version : Steering Head Bearings

dm_gsxr
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
I need to get a set of bearings and I seem to recall there being a local bearing shop. Someone have a company name so I can give them a ring?

Thanks.

Carl

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
allballs.com tapered roller bearings.

sorry - not local, China probably, $20 for the set and they work great.

Otherwise you can try Rocky Mountain Supply or similar industrial supply warehouse. bring the old ones in to match up. But I highly recommend tapered rollers over ball

grim
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
I need to get a set of bearings and I seem to recall there being a local bearing shop. Someone have a company name so I can give them a ring?

Thanks.

Carl

Local bearings

Kaman industrial technologies

Whisler bearing

Motion industries

Essex

or tell me what size they are maybe i have them in my shop.

grim
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
allballs.com tapered roller bearings.

sorry - not local, China probably, $20 for the set and they work great.

Otherwise you can try Rocky Mountain Supply or similar industrial supply warehouse. bring the old ones in to match up. But I highly recommend tapered rollers over ball

depends on the ball bearing i would recommend c4 ball bearings for the application over roller bearing. roller bearings do not hold grease very well at all they are more for either sitting in oil or being splashed with oil.

2rs ball bearings hold grease very well.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Whisler will match any bearing that you need or you can go with a taper bearing if you don't mind changing the races - http://www.trywhisler.com/

dm_gsxr
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:35 PM
Well, I have a Honda CB750 neck (mm) but a chopper front end (inch) and the seat for the neck is very shallow. So I figured to get the measurements and pick up a couple of sets for the top and bottom of the neck and different ones for the stem so I have a good seat.

I think I need to get the stem diameter and then the diameter and depth of the bottom and top seats in order to know what I need. There isn't a lot of slop available so it has to be a pretty close match.

This is for the custom chopper I'm building. I figure to get this done over the winter as I don't really have that much left to do.

Carl

grim
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:35 PM
Whisler will match any bearing that you need or you can go with a taper bearing if you don't mind changing the races - http://www.trywhisler.com/

Is there an echo in here?

Or you could tell me what size they are i stock alot of bearings

should start with a 62 or 63

UglyDogRacing
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Is there an echo in here?

Nope just posting from my own personal experience.

brennahm
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
+1 for Whisler.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:44 PM
depends on the ball bearing i would recommend c4 ball bearings for the application over roller bearing. roller bearings do not hold grease very well at all they are more for either sitting in oil or being splashed with oil.

2rs ball bearings hold grease very well.

application does not require a lot of grease, and neither do roller bearings. Their friction level is far less than ball bearings. Not that friction is a huge issue in this application either. But durability and feel for the road is - tapered rollers FTW!!!

grim
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:54 PM
application does not require a lot of grease, and neither do roller bearings. Their friction level is far less than ball bearings. Not that friction is a huge issue in this application either. But durability and feel for the road is - tapered rollers FTW!!!

Thus the purpose of c4 ball bearings, they are grounded down for more clearance between the inner and outer race allowing for more heat expansion. Tapered roller bearings are great as long as you pre load and shim them properly.

Also correction tapered roller bearings do need either grease or oil constantly or they will overheat like crazy if they are under load constantly.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Thus the purpose of c4 ball bearings, they are grounded down for more clearance between the inner and outer race allowing for more heat expansion. Tapered roller bearings are great as long as you pre load and shim them properly.

Also correction tapered roller bearings do need either grease or oil constantly or they will overheat like crazy if they are under load constantly.

right, cuz I'm flinging my bars around so much that lube is spraying everywhere and overheating all the time. :rock:

grim
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 04:03 PM
right, cuz I'm flinging my bars around so much that lube is spraying everywhere and overheating all the time. :rock:

Just stating the argument that tapered roller cannot always replace ball bearing. Depending on the application and the lube system.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
Just stating the argument that tapered roller cannot always replace ball bearing. Depending on the application and the lube system.

agreed. never said they could.

also never heard of anyone who didn't love tapered rollers in their headstock.

grim
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 04:28 PM
agreed. never said they could.

also never heard of anyone who didn't love tapered rollers in their headstock.

Never heard anyone who didn't love tapered roller bearings, longer life Span when used properly. Once a ball bearing has .004 or more enplay they're trash. Only problem is metric roller brngs only come in match sets and are not usually local.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
Never heard anyone who didn't love tapered roller bearings, longer life Span when used properly. Once a ball bearing has .004 or more enplay they're trash. Only problem is metric roller brngs only come in match sets and are not usually local.

hence the allballs cheap China bearings. I wouldn't use China wheel bearings but for the steering head I have no problem with them. $20 includes replacement dust seals.

sorry to steal anyone's business - but I'm a fan and think rollers should have been in the steering head to begin with. Many of the dirt bikes use them.

grim
Wed Nov 2nd, 2011, 05:19 PM
Skf, fag, and consolidated are all we use

dm_gsxr
Thu Nov 10th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Ok, so I have a custom bike I'm building. How do I get the measurements so I can get the right seat and bearings for this thing? As in bearings go by mm in measurements or inches or hectares or what? :)

Thanks.

Carl

grim
Thu Nov 10th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Ok, so I have a custom bike I'm building. How do I get the measurements so I can get the right seat and bearings for this thing? As in bearings go by mm in measurements or inches or hectares or what? :)

Thanks.

Carl

Measure the bearing housing and the bearing journal and you can either go on skf's website or fag's website to find the proper bearing number based on size.