PDA

View Full Version : Online photo storage...

~Barn~
Fri Nov 4th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Is there no free site that allows photo storage and sharing, with linking to it's original resolution (1920 X 1080)?

I thought Picassa was going to be a winner, but it won't do what I need.

[/Sad Panda]

ATL
Fri Nov 4th, 2011, 08:07 PM
flickr.com is what I use, although I go pro b/c I do host a lot of photography and want perma-links when displaying them :).

imageshack.us may fulfill your requirements,
-Chris

asp_125
Fri Nov 4th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Google +

I`m Batman
Fri Nov 4th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Comcast.

fasterlaster
Fri Nov 4th, 2011, 11:23 PM
It's not free (but not expensive). I have found smugmug to be pretty darn good, with plenty of features and support. Including the mesh of printing and shipping from a pretty decent print lab.

Mother Goose
Sat Nov 5th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Flickr is free, but you can only upload a certain amount per day. If you pay the $25/year, you can get unlimited uploading.

~Barn~
Sat Nov 5th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all the helpful replies, guys. :up:

ATL
Sat Nov 5th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Flickr is free, but you can only upload a certain amount per day. If you pay the $25/year, you can get unlimited uploading.
What do I get with a Pro account?

When you upgrade to a Pro account for just US$24.95 a year, you get all this:

Unlimited photo uploads (20MB per photo)
Unlimited video uploads (90 seconds max, 500MB per video)
The ability to show HD (http://www.flickr.com/help/video/#571088) Video
Unlimited storage
Unlimited bandwidth
Archiving of high-resolution original images
The ability to replace a photo
Post any of your photos or videos in up to 60 group pools
Ad-free browsing and sharing
View count and referrer statistics
NO BS approach to serious image hosting.

Compare that to what you get with a Free Account:

300 MB monthly photo upload limit (15MB per photo)
2 video uploads each month (90 seconds max, 150MB per video)
Photostream views limited to the 200 most recent images
Post any of your photos in up to 10 group pools
Only smaller (resized) images accessible (though the originals are saved in case you upgrade later)

Those are the biggest difference in my opinion. If you're serious about photography and need a really good image-hosting service with an array of features- so far flickr.com has been everything I need it to be.

Just don't be shocked when after 200th (free account) image, for every one you upload- your 1st, then 2nd, and then 3rd... etc image start disappearing. It almost feels like flickr holds those images hostage until you go pro. Hahaha.

Again, if $$$ is a concern, you can always host the images locally- but I really like the features that Flickr offers.
-Chris

asp_125
Sat Nov 5th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I thought about Flickr Pro for hosting my images but in the end their lack of a good storefront was a negative for me. I chose to spend a bit more with Zenfolio for an all inclusive package, hosting, e-store, reporting, integration to Google Analytics.

enabler118
Sat Nov 5th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Make sure to read the T&C if you care about retaining copyright. IIRC some of these sites try to retain some sort of control over any media posted.

vort3xr6
Sat Nov 5th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Photobucket.