PDA

View Full Version : Flu shot 2011

grim
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Wanted to start this thread and see how everyone reacted to their Flu shot this year as i have been hearing some pretty interesting things that are not typical.

My wife, daughter, and myself got our flu shots this past Saturday, within 4 hours of getting the shot i had the worst headache i have ever had in my life, my body was extremely achy and i was all around miserable. My wife had a minor headache, and my daughter was doing wind sprints around the condo as if she had just ingested crack. I ended up taking some NyQuill and four Ibuprofen slept for 12 hours and felt just fine afterwards.

I have had the flue shot every year with the exception of the last two year and i had never felt like this before, and all i can say is it fucking sucked!!

What was everyone else's experience?

tecknojoe
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Normal for me. No problems.

I also just read this. yay scientists: http://gizmodo.com/5856999/scientist-create-the-definitive-flu-killer

longrider
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I had no reaction at all. As usual I didn't feel anything

Mother Goose
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I got one a few years ago and I got sick the day after. Felt like ass for about a week. I haven't gotten one since then. Plus, I hate needles. :shock:

vort3xr6
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Never gotten one and never will.

200sr20
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Mine didn't seem to give me too many problems

modette99
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I don't get the shot EVER...and I don't get sick. My wife being a Pharmacist decided to pass because the Flu Shot was made from the same strain as last years...so if you got last years then your protected this year. Funny how very few people know of this (only heard one news station point it out to). It is like getting the polo shot as a kid, it still works today...LOL

You do realize the shot is made up of a strain of flu the government THINKS will be the big one of the year (thus you can still catch the flu, especially if a different strain then what the shot was for), thus they concluded last years would be the same strain as this years in all likelihood.

FYI

dragos13
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 08:34 AM

I think they made me get one in elementary school but haven't had one since.

modette99
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Right from the CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccine-selection.htm

What flu viruses are included in the Northern Hemisphere seasonal vaccine for 2011-2012?

WHO recommended that the Northern Hemisphere's 2011–2012 seasonal influenza vaccine contain the following three vaccine viruses:

an A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)-like virus;
an A/Perth/16/2009 (H3N2)-like virus; and
a B/Brisbane/60/2008-like virus.
These are the same viruses that were selected for the Northern Hemisphere for the 2010-2011 influenza vaccine.

What flu viruses are included in the Southern Hemisphere seasonal vaccine for 2011?
On September 29, 2010, in Geneva, Switzerland, WHO recommended that the Southern Hemisphere's seasonal influenza vaccine contain the following three vaccine viruses:

an A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)-like virus;
an A/Perth/16/2009 (H3N2)-like virus;* and
a B/Brisbane/60/2008-like virus.
*Note: A/Wisconsin/15/2009 and A/Victoria/210/2009 are A/Perth/16/2009-like viruses.

These are the same virus strains that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) selected for inclusion in the Northern Hemisphere vaccine being used in the United States during the 2010-2011 season.

Bueller
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I don't get them.

Jmetz
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I don't get them either. Call me tinfoil hatty, but the government could really fuck with the population through those things if someone was feeling froggy.

modette99
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 09:22 AM
http://www.naturalnews.com/032558_flu_shots_wear_off.html

The CDC and the vaccine industry are fronting a similar bit of contradictory logic. "Our vaccines work so well that they offer almost total immunity from the flu," they claim. And yet somehow they also work so poorly that they "wear off" after a year and require you to be re-vaccinated annually.

This is The Great Big Lie of the vaccine industry: The lie that says you have be re-vaccinated each and every year, often with the exact same strains you were vaccinated with the previous year. The coming winter flu vaccines for 2011, for example, are being manufactured with the same strains as the 2010 flu vaccines.

But if vaccines work so amazingly well as the CDC and the vaccine industry (fraudulently) suggests, then why do you need the same shot year after year?

Well, according to the CDC, "Vaccines wear off."

Vaccines wear off, they say

Yep, that's their cover story. The vaccines "wear off."

But hold on a minute. There's something fishy about this. Because human antibodies normally last a lifetime, remember? That's why you don't get the chicken pox over and over again; because the first time you got the chicken pox as a kid, your body created chicken pox antibodies and those antibodies last a lifetime.

Thus, your immune system offers you lifetime immunity from the chicken pox.............

Pharmgirl
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Not all antibodies are created equal. And not all viruses mutate as fast as others. Influenza A and B mutate constantly, which is why you have to get a new shot every year. Or not.

Once you have x strain of flu, you will have immunity to it. However, when xy strain comes around next year, it will have mutated enough to cause you symptoms. Symptoms such as respiratory arrest. Which can kill you.

Influenza usually kills (on average) 25,000 Americans every year. Natural selection, right?

Immunology is extremely complex. That's why there is a lot of misinformation out there, as reading an article about it is not going to make you an expert.

It is a personal choice to get a flu shot. No one forces you to get one. Just like no one makes you ride a motorcycle wearing a helmet. Totally your choice. But we sure do like to make fun of the "squids" that choose not too. Watch some people die from the flu. It might change your mind.

TFOGGuys
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 10:27 AM

+1.... I'm just an antisocial hermit during flu season (ok, pretty much all the time).

Airreed
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I'm in the military so you get the shot every year wheather you want one or not. I had a small bump/swelling on my arm but no other issues/reactions.

I'm more concerned with the Anthrax strains that have been pumped into my body....I guess when the Zombie Apocalypse happens i'll be good to go!

mastap07
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 10:47 AM
got it two weeks ago, was free, lucked out no syptoms besides having a cold this week lol

PS grim i never knew you had your own TV show?!?!?
http://img.poptower.com/pic-53336/grimm-nbc-tv-show.jpg?d=600

Dr. Joe Siphek
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 10:56 AM
won't get one, haven't gotten one in a long time.

EVO8
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Got the shot, all is well.

asp_125
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Had it occasionally over the years, not regularly. Only once did I feel a little tired from it.

Keyser Soze
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Last time I got one was in basic training. Spent damn near a week in the hospital and almost got set back.

Sean
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 12:30 PM
no issues (other than the fact I was forced to get one).

modette99
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Immunology is extremely complex. That's why there is a lot of misinformation out there, as reading an article about it is not going to make you an expert.

Wow, and your an Internet expert huh!!! That made me just fucking laugh.

Edited to say: Just noticed user name, so your a Pharmacist like my wife...yep, I'll take the research my wife has done over someone I don't know on this subject.

Zach929rr
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 12:45 PM
No flu shots (or any other vaccinations) for me in the past 8-10 years.

bodhizafa
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Wow, and your an Internet expert huh!!! That made me just fucking laugh.

Edited to say: Just noticed user name, so your a Pharmacist like my wife...yep, I'll take the research my wife has done over someone I don't know on this subject.

Not sure why you took a shot at her but she's correct. Immunology is pretty damn complex, not all vaccines are created nor act the same in the body. And not all vaccines are lifelong. Sometimes you need a booster shot. Although your earlier post sounded more distrustful of the government on these subjects...which I sure as hell can agree with.

Nooch
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Im not exactly the picture of superb health, but I havent had a flu shot since I was 15. And the last time I got the flu was that same season. I dont bother with those shots anymore. Lots of conspiracy theories going around about vaccines these days, which I dont buy into, but nonetheless Id say Im living proof that the shots are at least partially moot.

laspariahs
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I haven't gotten the flu since I can't remember when. I don't get the shots mainly because a freaking hate shots, so I only get them when I have to. If I were 60 years old you bet your ass I'd be getting the flu shots, or whatever we have by then, but at 27 I see little point.

grim
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Im not exactly the picture of superb health, but I havent had a flu shot since I was 15. And the last time I got the flu was that same season. I dont bother with those shots anymore. Lots of conspiracy theories going around about vaccines these days, which I dont buy into, but nonetheless Id say Im living proof that the shots are at least partially moot.

Maybe but i was required to get the flu shot every single year that i was in the military and never did i get the flu. Then the one year i did not get the shot in 2009 wham bam i get the fucking flu. If anyone wants to play the money card on this I think that's not a valid enough reason the shot cost's a person without insurance $25 whopping dollars. Anyone with insurance your company will cover the shot and nothing comes out of your pocket. As well as the company i work for and others that i know of will actually reimburse your whopping $25 dollars if you provide a receipt.

Modette.. you're still an idiot.

modette99
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
So are you grim...

grim
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 03:24 PM
So are you grim...

Love you too...

Nooch
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 03:25 PM
That's why there is a lot of misinformation out there

Lol like Naturalnews.com?

Just sayin...

OUTLAWD
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 08:46 PM

werd...

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Nov 8th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I've had one once in my life; two years ago. I was deathly ill for two weeks and went through a large box off Puffs every day. I will probably only get them during high-fatality years based on strain.