PDA

View Full Version : Denver vs KC WTF? (spoiler)

tecknojoe
Sun Nov 13th, 2011, 02:07 PM
as if anyone cares if the end is spoiled

KC had 4th down around the denver 30 with 10 seconds left. They were down by 7.

Traditionally, the team would go for it because there's no other option. but KC kicks a fucking field goal???? ok, now you're only down by 4 points with 7 seconds.

of course they onside kick but even still, that last hail mary is 3 times as hard as what you would have had to make on the last drive.

What in the fuck why would anyone do that? I am stupified by this one. seriously.

Way to go broncos btw. 2 completed passes :lol:

madvlad
Sun Nov 13th, 2011, 02:13 PM
A win is a win pimp lol GO BRONCOS!

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Nov 13th, 2011, 03:57 PM
as if anyone cares if the end is spoiled

KC had 4th down around the denver 30 with 10 seconds left. They were down by 7.

Traditionally, the team would go for it because there's no other option. but KC kicks a fucking field goal???? ok, now you're only down by 4 points with 7 seconds.

of course they onside kick but even still, that last hail mary is 3 times as hard as what you would have had to make on the last drive.

What in the fuck why would anyone do that? I am stupified by this one. seriously.

They were down by 10. Kicking the field goal was a surer thing on 4th down than a TD. They still had a chance to recover the onside kick and score a TD+1 to tie. Much better chances than if they didn't get the TD on 4th down. They would have no chance at that point.

tecknojoe
Sun Nov 13th, 2011, 04:32 PM
O jeeeeeesus, i swear I looked at the score 10 times and thought it was 7

that explains a lot :lol:

The Black Knight
Sun Nov 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM
All I know is Prater needs to get his act together. Guy has missed what 5?? field goals. That's gotta stop, because a chance to add 3 is a chance to add points regardless if we were ahead or not. The guy has always been money but lately his mojo seems a bit off.

drago52
Sun Nov 13th, 2011, 08:01 PM

I suppose that matters if you care about stats. I think what matters is that KC knew the Broncos were going to run the ball 9 out of ten plays and they couldn't stop it. I think that's a good sign. We'll see what happens as the season progresses, but it's interesting for sure.

bluedogok
Sun Nov 13th, 2011, 08:12 PM
All I know is Prater needs to get his act together. Guy has missed what 5?? field goals. That's gotta stop, because a chance to add 3 is a chance to add points regardless if we were ahead or not. The guy has always been money but lately his mojo seems a bit off.
That's kickers for you....

mastap07
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 07:13 AM
interesteing game.... only 2 completed passes the whole game for the broncos, prater is missing field goals from 40 yards out, all of our running backs got injured (besides tebow, or is he supposed to be the QB?) and we pulled out a win??? im glad to see the broncos winning, tebow is doing pretty good for the most part but damn KC must really suck lol

dirkterrell
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 08:34 AM
It's good to see the coaching staff playing to the offense's strengths. The offensive line was do a really good job yesterday. We clearly have good depth at RB and a line that gets the job done. For all the talk these days about passing games, the best way to shut down an offense like that is to keep it off the field and a good running game is how you do that. If the defense can step it up and get a few big sacks and turnovers, you can shut down these passing-first teams. And with Dumervil and Miller coming from the edges, they're going to get there reasonably often.

If the coaches continue to develop schemes that use the strengths of the players we have, the Broncos will do much better than most expect them to. In "rebuilding" phases coaches tend to stick to their "system" no matter what. Good coaches tailor the system to the strengths of the players, and it seems like that is what Fox has decided to do. Tebow presents huge challenges for a defense, just not as a dropback passer like they see from week to week. And that can be a huge advantage if Fox and crew embrace it. It appears that they have.

Now approaching forty years of involvement in the game as a player or coach, I can tell you that the emotional side of the game for players is crucial to success. In technical terms Orton is superior in every way to Tebow as a passer but he has no fire in his belly. (Cutler, for whom I had high hopes when he arrived in Denver, is the same way.) Football is an emotional game. As a QB, you have to elevate your teammates. You have to be the one with that burning desire to win, and just as importantly, you have to be the one that is willing to do what has to be done to achieve it. Everyone wants to win. Not everyone is willing to pay the price to get there. That is why Tebow is 3-1 as a starter and Orton is 1-4. That kind of emotion is why you win close games. I was at the San Diego game when Tebow came in in the second half, and I sensed a huge positive change in the intensity level of the players.

Tebow's passing game will improve. That sort of thing can be coached but it takes time to develop. I'm glad to see that the coaches are taking the path of not forcing him to be what everyone expects an NFL quarterback to be right away.

mastap07
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 09:03 AM
agreed! i could only imagine trying to throw to 4 different recievers 3 different running backs, 2 full backs and at least 2 different tight ends, that all run different routes at different speeds. i couldnt do it lol

The Black Knight
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 09:05 AM
It's good to see the coaching staff playing to the offense's strengths. The offensive line was do a really good job yesterday. We clearly have good depth at RB and a line that gets the job done. For all the talk these days about passing games, the best way to shut down an offense like that is to keep it off the field and a good running game is how you do that. If the defense can step it up and get a few big sacks and turnovers, you can shut down these passing-first teams. And with Dumervil and Miller coming from the edges, they're going to get there reasonably often.

If the coaches continue to develop schemes that use the strengths of the players we have, the Broncos will do much better than most expect them to. In "rebuilding" phases coaches tend to stick to their "system" no matter what. Good coaches tailor the system to the strengths of the players, and it seems like that is what Fox has decided to do. Tebow presents huge challenges for a defense, just not as a dropback passer like they see from week to week. And that can be a huge advantage if Fox and crew embrace it. It appears that they have.

Now approaching forty years of involvement in the game as a player or coach, I can tell you that the emotional side of the game for players is crucial to success. In technical terms Orton is superior in every way to Tebow as a passer but he has no fire in his belly. (Cutler, for whom I had high hopes when he arrived in Denver, is the same way.) Football is an emotional game. As a QB, you have to elevate your teammates. You have to be the one with that burning desire to win, and just as importantly, you have to be the one that is willing to do what has to be done to achieve it. Everyone wants to win. Not everyone is willing to pay the price to get there. That is why Tebow is 3-1 as a starter and Orton is 1-4. That kind of emotion is why you win close games. I was at the San Diego game when Tebow came in in the second half, and I sensed a huge positive change in the intensity level of the players.

Tebow's passing game will improve. That sort of thing can be coached but it takes time to develop. I'm glad to see that the coaches are taking the path of not forcing him to be what everyone expects an NFL quarterback to be right away.
Man I hope so, 2/8 for the whole game regardless of a win is still not good. Our running game is excellent. We've pounded away at two teams on the ground and it works for us. But I'd like to see Tebow start putting it in the air and hitting his receivers. While our running game has been unstoppable. Denver has had some good chances to pile on some points and put their opponents away quick. Like I said with Prater, had he made the field goal, that would have just been another 3 points on the board. When the opposing team is looking at the board and seeing they are down two scoring drives, it starts to get in their head and demoralize them. Being up 10 is better than 7, and up 14 is better than 10. As physical as Football is, it's also about being able to get into the heads of your opponent.

That's one thing I've always admired about New England. I can't stand the Patriots but they can get in their opponents heads better than anyone I've seen.

tecknojoe
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 09:09 AM
That's one thing I've always admired about New England. I can't stand the Patriots but they can get in their opponents heads better than anyone I've seen.

it's easy when you video tape the other team

The Black Knight
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 09:13 AM
it's easy when you video tape the other team
True, but I'd be willing to bet others have done it as well. Others just haven't got caught. The old saying,"if you're not cheating you're not trying and it's only cheating if you get caught."

tecknojoe
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I'm sure others have. I just hate the patriots and was dying in laughter during that scandal. excellence

i am a steelers fan. yes i dislike roethlisberger

dirkterrell
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I can't stand the Patriots but they can get in their opponents heads better than anyone I've seen.

And my comments about playing with emotion deal with getting into your teammates' heads. What they care about is winning, not whether you were 2 for 8 passing. Individual statistics don't mean a damn thing to the players of a team.

Tebow makes passing decisions pretty well but what he needs to do is make them faster. That requires intelligence and hard work on the part of the player, and good coaching. All three are there, so I think Denver is in good shape. We just need to let the kid develop by playing on Sunday's. There will painful learning lessons, but he has the potential to lead the team to the big game with the right players around him. The defense needs to continue to improve but that is one of Fox's strengths.

The Broncos are on a good path and I'm confident that they will return to membership in the elite group of the NFL sooner than many people think.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 09:33 AM
nicely stated Dirk! I see alot of potential w/ this kid...haters gonna hate. I'd bet on "Will over Skill" any day of the week. With that said, it seems that with every game that Tebow in there, he's getting more and more of the bugs out. Holding the ball longer, staying in the pocket, just making more mature decisions w/ the ball. We can only hope!

dirkterrell
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 09:44 AM

Well, I was just reading Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/11/14/Week10/index.html?xid=cnnbin), and look at this quote from Fox:

"We got shellacked,'' Fox told me. "We were so one-dimensional, and we were banging our heads against the wall. I remember back in '06 in Carolina, we had a bunch of injuries, we were losing and we had to go play a really good Atlanta team. We basically invented the Wildcat for Chris Weinke that week and went into Atlanta and won the game. So here, we just figured let's try to do what Tim's comfortable with. It's just coaching. Doesn't matter if you coach JV, high school, college or the pros -- when you've got different kids, you need to do different things. Figure what your players can do, and adjust to them.''

TFOGGuys
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 09:49 AM
When the clock ticks down to zero, the only stat that actually matters is the score. If they can get to the playoffs with Tebow throwing 8 passes a game, more power to them. 2 completions, 1 TD, 1 first down, no interceptions. They've won 75% of the games Tebow has started in.

mastap07
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 10:57 AM
lol everytime i hear the word playoffs it reminds me of this video http://youtu.be/Qwq7BYOnDrM

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Great posts dirk. Thanks for contributing

The Black Knight
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 11:30 AM
And my comments about playing with emotion deal with getting into your teammates' heads. What they care about is winning, not whether you were 2 for 8 passing. Individual statistics don't mean a damn thing to the players of a team.

Tebow makes passing decisions pretty well but what he needs to do is make them faster. That requires intelligence and hard work on the part of the player, and good coaching. All three are there, so I think Denver is in good shape. We just need to let the kid develop by playing on Sunday's. There will painful learning lessons, but he has the potential to lead the team to the big game with the right players around him. The defense needs to continue to improve but that is one of Fox's strengths.

The Broncos are on a good path and I'm confident that they will return to membership in the elite group of the NFL sooner than many people think.
Right and I get that, however you can only run the ball so much. Sooner rather than later we are going to run into a defense that will hand us our ass on a plate in terms of stopping our run and then where does that leave us??

That's my point, 2 for 8 passing is fine if the run game is dominant and no one can stop it. Soon as we get to a defense that eats the running game for lunch, it will leave Tebow vulnerable and he'll have to start passing. That's what I'm talking about, get him more experience in the air, so when a defense deflates our run game, we still can go to the air for some results.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Who says 2-8 is all tebow?

The Black Knight
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Who says 2-8 is all tebow?
Never said it was. Maybe that's all they planned on him throwing. However, completing only 2 of 8 is all Tebow and some of his receivers.

The Black Knight
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Jim Rome has Champ Bailey on right now...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 12:22 PM
O jeeeeeesus, i swear I looked at the score 10 times and thought it was 7

that explains a lot :lol:
RantFAIL. :lol:

dirkterrell
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Right and I get that, however you can only run the ball so much. Sooner rather than later we are going to run into a defense that will hand us our ass on a plate in terms of stopping our run and then where does that leave us??

A good running game opens up play-action passing, and Tebow is pretty good at that. Yesterday they didn't need it but you can bet it's there in the playbook. There are also some very effective passing variations off the deep read option that they have been running the past few weeks. They also haven't needed to go to that yet either, but when they do, I expect it to be very effective against fast-reacting defenses.

I understand and absolutely agree with your assessment of the weakness in being one-dimensional, but my point is that the Broncos are not as one-dimensional as they have looked because the coaches were trying to make the passing game a traditional NFL dropback passing game. That is not, and may never be, an approach that works well with Tebow. But, he can be a very effective passer with the right approach and it's now clear to me that the Broncos understand that and are crafting game plans along those lines. There will be stumbles along the way, of course, but I feel pretty positive about where the Broncos are heading.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 01:42 PM
The Broncos' young quarterback, 2-2 as an erratic starter, looked Quasimodo ugly in his fifth game.

In the first half of a blowout defeat, he completed only four passes, was sacked and harassed repeatedly by eight men in the box and played terrible as the Broncos failed to score a touchdown, and the NFC opponent got 24 points. The outcome was no longer in doubt when his pass was intercepted and returned for a touchdown.

While witnessing the debacle at the stadium, I wondered if I was absolutely wrong for supporting the acclaimed quarterback I had first seen play so skillfully in college.

Afterward, he was criticized in Denver and condemned nationally. The quarterback's performance was described as comical, amateurish and hopeless, and some in the media believed he was a monumental faux pas, or faux passer, as a first-round pick.

The Broncos coach even doubted the quarterback — saying privately that he was raw, couldn't read defenses, didn't throw accurately enough and scrambled too often.

However, the quarterback would go on to play in five Super Bowls, winning two, and was selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

John Elway.

More quarterbacks through their first five starts:

ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer, 1-4 record, two touchdowns, nine interceptions, would be the QB on Ravens' Super Bowl-winning team.

Southern football icon and No. 2 pick overall, Archie Manning, 2-2-1, 40-of-86 passing, five touchdowns, five interceptions, 10.9 rating in one game as Saints rookie, father of two NFL quarterbacks.

The Colts​' (injured) Peyton Manning, No. 1 pick, 1-4, four touchdowns, 12 interceptions, would win one Super Bowl.

The Giants' Eli Manning​, No. 1 pick (traded from Chargers following draft), 0-5, three touchdowns, seven interceptions, would win one Super Bowl.

The Packers' Aaron Rodgers, 2-3 as starter, finally, in fourth season, nine touchdowns, four interceptions, would win one Super Bowl.

Fox analyst Terry Bradshaw, 2-3, one touchdown, eight interceptions, 41-of-100 passing, would win four Super Bowls, Hall of Famer.

ESPN commentator Steve Young, 1-4 with Tampa Bay, three touchdowns, eight interceptions, would be 49ers' starting quarterback on one Super Bowl-winning team, Hall of Famer.

Fox analyst Troy Aikman, 0-5, three touchdowns, eight interceptions, won three Super Bowls with Cowboys, Hall of Famer.

Joe Montana​, 1-4, six touchdowns, four interceptions, won four Super Bowls with 49ers, Hall of Famer.

Brett Favre, 2-3, six touchdowns, two interceptions, won one Super Bowl with Packers.

Sam Bradford, No. 1 pick overall in 2010 by Rams, 2-3, six touchdowns, eight interceptions, lost his fifth start 44-6.

Colt McCoy​, tied with Boise State's Kellen Moore heading into Saturday night for most victories as a quarterback in FBS, drafted in third round last year, current Browns starter, 2-3, three touchdowns, three interceptions.

Ryan Fitzpatrick​, current Bills starter who just signed a six-year, $59 million contract extension, 0-5, two touchdowns, 10 interceptions with Rams, then Bengals.

Michael Vick​, current Eagles starter, 2-3, five touchdowns, one interception with Falcons.

Johnny Unitas​, 3-2 as a starter in 1956 after taking over as Baltimore starter, threw interception for touchdown on first series, fumbled ball away on first play of second series, nine touchdowns, 10 interceptions with 3-4 record for season, won two NFL championships, Hall of Famer.

Cam Newton, No. 1 overall pick, 2011, current Panthers starter, 1-4 in first five games, seven touchdowns, six interceptions.

Then, there is: Tim Tebow, 2-3 as Broncos starter, seven touchdowns, four interceptions.

In five starts, Tebow has passed for 984 yards, rushed for 321 yards and completed 48.3 percent of his passes. In comparison, Elway (knocked out of his first game, replaced in the second half of his fifth game) passed for 420 yards, rushed for 41 yards, completed 45.8 percent and was 2-3 with one touchdown, five interceptions.

In his book for youngsters, the "Comeback Kid" would write that "TV commentators asked: 'Is Elway the $5 million mistake?' "

Elway was the Broncos' starter for the next 15 years — and had won more regular-season games than any other quarterback when he retired.

Elway also played poorly in his sixth start. He was 11-of-31 with no touchdowns and an interception in a loss . . . to the Raiders in Los Angeles.

The Broncos did not give up on Elway then? The Broncos must not give up on Tebow now.

No matter what happens in Oakland against the Raiders today, Tebow has to start the rest of the season so he can be judged properly.

John Elway, sacked nine times in the first half by the Bears in his fifth start, and those other quarterbacks who started rather badly certainly should agree.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_19274728

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 01:52 PM
nice Capt

everyone wants immediate gratification and no one is willing to be patient and allow a guy some time to grow. Everyone with a T.V. and a sports illustrated is a f'n expert and everyone wants to see the deep bomb pass. Wins aren't enough, we need to see it in spectacular flamboyant fashion.

get a life. remember, when you're so quick to judge other people, people will be quick to judge you as well.

The Black Knight
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 02:10 PM
nice Capt

everyone wants immediate gratification and no one is willing to be patient and allow a guy some time to grow. Everyone with a T.V. and a sports illustrated is a f'n expert and everyone wants to see the deep bomb pass. Wins aren't enough, we need to see it in spectacular flamboyant fashion.

get a life. remember, when you're so quick to judge other people, people will be quick to judge you as well.
Gettin your feathers in a ruffle a bit there junior?? Relax man, it's just good debate with viewpoints from all sides. I don't think there is one person in this thread claiming to be an expert. We're just commenting on what we see. God forbid someone has an opinion these days.... :roll:

salsashark
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 02:31 PM

Anybody else remember the movie Mystery Men? Did the Sphinx say this?

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/sphinx.jpg

"To learn my teachings, I must first teach you how to learn."

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums."

"He who questions training only trains himself at asking questions."

"You must be like wolf pack, not six-pack."

"When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack."

sorry... back to your regularly scheduled ramblings...

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Wasn't necessarily directed at any one person. Just haters in general. Decide for yourself if the shoe fits.

Mother Goose
Mon Nov 14th, 2011, 03:50 PM
nice Capt

I could care less about the deep bomb, just complete an easy pass. :lol: 49ers are 8-1 and hardly ever throw a deep pass. Short yardage passes still get you down the field. I hope he gets better, but damn, he misses a lot.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Eat that shit haters

Zach929rr
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Eat that shit haters

bunch of fairweather faggots up in here

tecknojoe
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 10:01 PM
:lol: broncos are damned exciting to watch this year for sure