PDA

View Full Version : Gun Question: Will my new gun get easier to pull the trigger?

sky_blue
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Since I'm not a member of any gun forums, I thought I'd ask here...seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

I bought a Walther PK380 like 6 months ago. I got it to replace my Ruger 9mm pistol that scared me to shoot it. First, I rented a PK380 and it was a bunch less scary than my 9mm, easy to fire, fit better in my hand, and I could get it with a laser (OMG laser!!). Presumably though, this rental gun had seen a lot of rounds.

My brand spanking new 380 is a bitch to shoot. I pull the trigger, and near the end of the pull, it requires a lot of force. A distracting amount of force. Granted, I am wimpy. Yes, the hammer is already back.

It's only had a little over 1 box of rounds through it. Do I just need to fire it a bunch more, or is there something a gunsmith can do to help it along? I know nothing about guns, other than operational basics...

rforsythe
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Put about 500 rounds through and see what happens, they will loosen up with use. Also make sure it's been properly cleaned and lubricated throughout.

Sean
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Also make sure it's been properly cleaned and lubricated throughout.Things are always better when they are properly cleaned and lubricated throughout. :bananna:

Sully
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 10:26 AM
And make sure you're holding it gangsta style, sideways! lol

grim
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 10:28 AM
And make sure you're holding it gangsta style, sideways! lol

KILLSHOT...THATS A KILLSHOT!!!!!!!!!!

sky_blue
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.

Jmetz
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 10:40 AM
And you can most likely have a smith "lighten" the trigger.

Vitesse304
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: after a few hundred rounds, your trigger will "lighten" a little bit. The spring will weaken, the sear and engagement will polish each other out but it won't significantly lighten that trigger pull.

Your best bet is to get it worked on by a smith who can stone the engagement points and replace the springs. Then there is the possibility that you will start getting light primer strikes since the hammer doesn't have enough force to strike the primer hard enough to fire the round. Also, a super light trigger isn't always the best in a defensive firearm, and...it's gonna cost you around $100 to get the work done.

I recommend you get rid of it and get something else. If you don't enjoy shooting it, or can't put money into it, find something else that will work better.

Seems all these "mouse" guns, sub .380 have super stiff triggers. My LCP is super stiff. Also seems quite a few "newer" guns have stiff triggers to keep the government happy.

wulf
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 11:35 AM
if you want ill give you an hour of one on one instruction out at Pawnee.

stubbicatt
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I understand your question, and like others have suggested, the trigger pull will improve with use, but there are benefits to a non lightened trigger pull, including the sympathetic response of the other fingers in your hand to increase grip tension a bit. If it breaks cleanly, repeatedly, and consistently with a quick reset in time these features will increase your owner satisfaction.

Good luck and good shooting.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: after a few hundred rounds, your trigger will "lighten" a little bit. The spring will weaken, the sear and engagement will polish each other out but it won't significantly lighten that trigger pull.

Your best bet is to get it worked on by a smith who can stone the engagement points and replace the springs. Then there is the possibility that you will start getting light primer strikes since the hammer doesn't have enough force to strike the primer hard enough to fire the round. Also, a super light trigger isn't always the best in a defensive firearm, and...it's gonna cost you around $100 to get the work done.

I recommend you get rid of it and get something else. If you don't enjoy shooting it, or can't put money into it, find something else that will work better.

Seems all these "mouse" guns, sub .380 have super stiff triggers. My LCP is super stiff. Also seems quite a few "newer" guns have stiff triggers to keep the government happy.
Is there only one spring then that determines hammer force AND trigger force required?

I think she should just bulk up her trigger finger. :)

Vitesse304
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Is there only one spring then that determines hammer force AND trigger force required?

I think she should just bulk up her trigger finger. :)

Depends on the gun. My Sig P6 only had 1 spring...

Lomax
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I am assuming that you are shooting it double action when you say the trigger pull gets very heavy towards the end. Double action should be quite a bit heavier than single action.

What everyone has said is true, The trigger and sear will polish themselves somewhat but you will not really notice a decrease in trigger pull.

There are some very good spring kits available for Walthers if you are a fair smithy but my best suggestion would be to take it to a qualified gun smith and have him put in a spring kit and do a trigger job.

Marc

Doron&Katie
Thu Nov 17th, 2011, 10:55 PM
specs on the pk380 show TRIGGER
Double Action 11 lb
Single Action 4 lb

Walther will usually warranty/inspect their products @ no cost to you.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Nov 18th, 2011, 06:00 PM
You could also try a very fine lapping compound on the surfaces that rub, to micro-polish it, but I'm sure almost all of the effort is the spring itself, sadly for you. If you try to polish it yourself like that, be EXTREMELY careful to get all that stuff out afterwards. The spring WILL take a little set, because that's what springs do by nature, but not much at all.