PDA

View Full Version : Lawsuit against Ducati

aerofaze
Fri Nov 18th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Yesterday I got a fair-sized letter about a class action lawsuit filed against Ducati. More information here (including model years affected and options):

http://girardgibbs.com/ducati.asp

Here's why, according to the site:

"In November 2010, Girard Gibbs LLP filed a national class action lawsuit alleging that the plastic fuel tanks on certain Ducati motorcycles are defective because they degrade and deform due to an incompatibility with the motorcycles’ fuel. The suit alleges that this defect leads to a number of unsafe conditions, including destabilizing the fuel tank on the bike’s frame, fuel leaks, and interference with steering. The class action was filed in federal court under the consumer protection statutes of the State of California."

Our options were outlined as follows:

"If you do nothing, you will remain a Settlement Class Member and receive the extended warranties. You will also give up your right to sue Ducati for fuel tank expansion issues.
"You may also comment or object to the settlement, but you must remain a Settlement Class Member to do so. The class notice posted below includes instructions for commenting or objecting.
"Or you may ask to be excluded from the Settlement Class. You will not receive the extended warranties but will retain your right to sue Ducati for fuel tank expansion issues. See the class notice for instructions to opt-out of the settlement."
Anyone else get a letter? Guess I'm just :think: about it and most likely will go with the first option.

salsashark
Fri Nov 18th, 2011, 08:01 AM
First I've hear of the lawsuit, but I know from other forums that the plastic tank issue has been a long battle with Ducati.

I haven't received any letter though. Thanks for the heads up.

tecknojoe
Fri Nov 18th, 2011, 08:02 AM
You should receive a letter. My buddy got one yesterday.

Airreed
Fri Nov 18th, 2011, 09:44 AM
The good ole plastic tank....my 2011 848 is leaking fuel that is most likely due to the tank...i'm talking physically seeing drips of gas. The hole has to be higher on the tank as it only leaks when at least the tank is 3/4 full and on the side stand. The leak started a few months ago, but i still wanted to ride versus' the bike sitting in a shop for a new tank. During that time i'd just put the bike in the stand to level it out without any issues.

Ducait is replacing tanks, but it's still the same tank...other ducati owners are having the tanks epoxy coated to prevent the leakage/expanding from happen again.

CraigB
Fri Nov 18th, 2011, 09:52 AM
this is kind of mind blowing. isn't it very well known that plastic and petroleum products don't mix? er, rather, they mix too damn well. most plastics, as far as I know, are petroleum products and, therefore, petrol is a plastic solvent.

i've got to believe that ducati's engineers know a bit more about this than i do. why/how could a plastic tank possibly be a good idea?

Airreed
Fri Nov 18th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I'm no petro scientist, but the Euro's/Italians do not add ethenol to their gas; which is the cause of the tank fail.... :poo:

CraigB
Fri Nov 18th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I'm no petro scientist, but the Euro's/Italians do not add ethenol to their gas; which is the cause of the tank fail.... :poo:

ahhhh, that makes sense.

stubbicatt
Fri Nov 18th, 2011, 10:29 AM
One of the considerations in buying the SP model was the aluminum fuel tank.

Guess I won't be receiving a letter.

asp_125
Fri Nov 18th, 2011, 10:49 AM
They are not alone. A friend of mine went through 3 plastic tanks with his KTM due to the same issue.

Graphite675
Fri Nov 18th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Yeah we got 2 of those letters yesterday. I guess I will go with option 1 as well. Haven't had any issues with my tank but have heard of a lot them deforming.

OUTLAWD
Fri Nov 18th, 2011, 03:35 PM
hmm...funny...seems the brits have the plastic tank figured out...must be an italian thing ;)

mauser72
Thu Nov 24th, 2011, 10:58 AM
So what exactly are they getting ducati to do about this, my 1198 tank started to deform a month after owning it and they just replace it with the same craplastic tank that is bubbling again.They need to give me an aluminum tank but they wouldnt go for that.

Graphite675
Thu Nov 24th, 2011, 11:32 AM
So what exactly are they getting ducati to do about this, my 1198 tank started to deform a month after owning it and they just replace it with the same craplastic tank that is bubbling again.They need to give me an aluminum tank but they wouldnt go for that.

I think they are trying to get them to extend the warranty to cover the tanks. If your tank bubbles after the 1 year warranty your SOL right now.

bennice
Sun Nov 27th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Aprilia tanks have the exact same issue. There's a recall on my '10 RSV4R for a breather cap assembly that's supposed to deal with it. I believe all the Italian manufacturers source their tanks from Acerbis, and all of them have an issue with bulging/deforming due to corn gas.

ChrisCBX
Sun Nov 27th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Aprilia tanks have the exact same issue. There's a recall on my '10 RSV4R for a breather cap assembly that's supposed to deal with it. I believe all the Italian manufacturers source their tanks from Acerbis, and all of them have an issue with bulging/deforming due to corn gas.

I have an Ape on order and I already asked the dealer about the tanks. I was told that Aprilia was working on it. I don't know what that means exactly but I do hope it gets corrected before I get mine.