PDA

View Full Version : Really scary psych drug news story

WolFeYeZ
Thu Dec 1st, 2011, 08:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZY-kzjF_d8w#!

grim
Thu Dec 1st, 2011, 08:34 PM
Well thank you Diane my tax dollars pay for alot of shit I don't agree with WTF do you want me to do?

Pharmgirl
Fri Dec 2nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
We also medicate the elderly like this. Taking a pill is way easier than dealing with the underlying problem. Unfortunately, this is way more expensive.

laspariahs
Fri Dec 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
We also medicate the elderly like this. Taking a pill is way easier than dealing with the underlying problem. Unfortunately, this is way more expensive.

What do you suggest we do for schizophrenia? People can live a normal life on current medication, but off of it, no way.

I agree that we perhaps over medicate our children but some people have real issues that need to be medicated.

Ghost
Fri Dec 2nd, 2011, 01:20 PM
What do you suggest we do for schizophrenia? People can live a normal life on current medication, but off of it, no way.

I agree that we perhaps over medicate our children but some people have real issues that need to be medicated.

Some need to be treated--that's true. But it's a for-profit industry where everyone gets trips to Hawaii and the corporations make their billions only if they prescribe to as many as possible--which is way more than the few who actually need it...

Capitalistic healthcare means profits come first, cure/treatment last...

laspariahs
Fri Dec 2nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Some need to be treated--that's true. But it's a for-profit industry where everyone gets trips to Hawaii and the corporations make their billions only if they prescribe to as many as possible--which is way more than the few who actually need it...

Capitalistic healthcare means profits come first, cure/treatment last...

Well of course, but if you dislike capitalism, then you dislike capitalism, not the drugs. Capitalism is a separate issue from if people need medication or not. Does it push people in to using medication that shouldn't sure, but that's a side effect of the whole system.

Our society wrongfully looks down on people with treatable illnesses, that's a fact, and has nothing to do with anything other than our own wrong biases. If someone is diagnosed with certain treatable illnesses they lose their rights did you know that? That's flat out wrong. I know a schizophrenic that has been intentionally misdiagnosed so they don't loose their rights, and their illness doesn't ruin their life any further than it already has. They have never broken the law, nothing, but if they get diagnosed, boom, done.

Going around saying people don't need medication for mental illnesses isn't helpful, it might convince someone who needs the medication that it's wrong. While A critique of capitalism might be helpful, it has nothing to do with medication is good or bad, it's a tool like a hammer. I can easily kill someone with a hammer that doesn't make the hammer wrong.

Pharmgirl
Fri Dec 2nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
I didn't say anything about not treating mental illness. I am speaking to the overmedicating of the young and the elderly as a way to control them when they do not in fact have a mental illness. So I am advocating not medicating people who are not mentally ill. I spend most of my working day figuring out how to give the right people the right medication and keep them compliant with it. In particular, those with mental illness and chronic co-morbidities that result from the side effects of taking psychotropic medications.

MRA 32
Sun Dec 4th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I just finished my psych rotation in nursing school and we really dug into these drugs and learned about them. The important thing to remember is that NO drug is safe. All drugs have a side effect and sometimes they can have serious adverse affects on the body. Children are not studied as often in drug trials like adults (for obvious reasons) and elderly are also at risk with polypharmacy (to many drugs).

Drug companies treat problems and they want you to buy their drug long-term as well. They make money treating your life-long disease.

There is a population of people young or old that do have a legit need for these drugs. Schizophrenia is a good example or bi-polar. One drug that works for one person may not work for another and so until the doctor sees the side effects and the therapeutic effects of the drug it is kind of a trial and error approach.

And old people are not put on drugs to control them. That is a form of restraint just like tying someone down to the bed. I agree that many of these older patients could be on too many drugs but each drug is treating its own problem.

Stay healthy, exercise, don't eat out in restuarants or fast food all the time (use moderation), don't drink soda, moderate alcohol intake, and for damn sure don't smoke! Your chances are good that you won't be on twelve medications when you are 80 y/o.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 01:33 AM

Right? Cus the world wasnt able to make it the other billion years before 1925 when it was suddenly saved by pills.

The day people address their REAL problems and start working them out is when they will stop blaming the rest of the world (or their genes) for their problems. Now, if you have a problem there is a pill for that. Where as before, if you had a problem you were screwed. As in survival of the fittest. The week die and the strong survive.

Fast forward to 2011 and now we have a country full of pussies that take pills to deal with problems that they caused and blame the president for not fixing.

Im over it. Tired of people that cant walk, talk, eat right, drive worth a shit, brush their teeth, wipe their ass, get up and go to work, clean their clothes, love their kids, smile, prioritize and pay their bills (among other things).

Wrider
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Right? Cus the world wasnt able to make it the other billion years before 1925 when it was suddenly saved by pills.

The day people address their REAL problems and start working them out is when they will stop blaming the rest of the world (or their genes) for their problems. Now, if you have a problem there is a pill for that. Where as before, if you had a problem you were screwed. As in survival of the fittest. The week die and the strong survive.

Fast forward to 2011 and now we have a country full of pussies that take pills to deal with problems that they caused and blame the president for not fixing.

Im over it. Tired of people that cant walk, talk, eat right, drive worth a shit, brush their teeth, wipe their ass, get up and go to work, clean their clothes, love their kids, smile, prioritize and pay their bills (among other things).

That's all fine and dandy that you're tired of it, but seriously?

Stephen Hawking. His theories and such have spurred new development and other new theories that have helped us better understand the universe around us.

President FDR. Couldn't walk but damned if he wasn't one of the strongest presidents we've ever had.

Hell even my cousin is a quadriplegic after being a dumbass and getting into a car driven by a drunken moron (who walked away with literally three bruises and a scratch). He's now on the payroll of and working directly for Doug Lamborn and doing a good job at it, no matter that he has to use a wheelchair to get around.

Shit I used to have a very very similar approach to you about pills and such. Hence the reason my ADD has been untreated since I was diagnosed in 2004. I'm finally seeing the benefit of using the help that's available, and I'm working on getting into a doc so that I can focus better.
Or the fact that if it wasn't for modern medicine I wouldn't be able to walk because I screwed up my knee in a motorcycle accident pretty badly. People can't tell now because I don't even have a limp.
Keep in mind I'm not the kind of guy to go out and overmedicate myself in any way shape or form. I would rather suffer through a headache than take a tylenol or aspirin, I weaned myself off of the Vicodins after my surgery 2 weeks ahead of when they said I should, I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't do any sort of drugs.

I get the basis of what you're saying, but damn dude, evaluate what you say before you say it. Some people overmedicate, some people use it as a crutch or an excuse, but not everybody, not by a long shot.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 08:10 AM
That's all fine and dandy that you're tired of it, but seriously?

Stephen Hawking. His theories and such have spurred new development and other new theories that have helped us better understand the universe around us.

President FDR. Couldn't walk but damned if he wasn't one of the strongest presidents we've ever had.

Hell even my cousin is a quadriplegic after being a dumbass and getting into a car driven by a drunken moron (who walked away with literally three bruises and a scratch). He's now on the payroll of and working directly for Doug Lamborn and doing a good job at it, no matter that he has to use a wheelchair to get around.

Shit I used to have a very very similar approach to you about pills and such. Hence the reason my ADD has been untreated since I was diagnosed in 2004. I'm finally seeing the benefit of using the help that's available, and I'm working on getting into a doc so that I can focus better.
Or the fact that if it wasn't for modern medicine I wouldn't be able to walk because I screwed up my knee in a motorcycle accident pretty badly. People can't tell now because I don't even have a limp.
Keep in mind I'm not the kind of guy to go out and overmedicate myself in any way shape or form. I would rather suffer through a headache than take a tylenol or aspirin, I weaned myself off of the Vicodins after my surgery 2 weeks ahead of when they said I should, I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't do any sort of drugs.

I get the basis of what you're saying, but damn dude, evaluate what you say before you say it. Some people overmedicate, some people use it as a crutch or an excuse, but not everybody, not by a long shot.

I think you took me too literally... When I said " Tired of people that cant walk, talk, eat right, drive worth a shit, brush their teeth, wipe their ass, get up and go to work, clean their clothes, love their kids, smile, prioritize and pay their bills (among other things)." I was just saying I am tired of people that cant do the basics not the physically impaired.

ADD is probably right smack in the middle of the controversy especially if you are talking about kids having it. Either way, people like the fact that they can take a pill to solve a problem while not addressing the problem and that is what drives the industry.

" Some people overmedicate, some people use it as a crutch or an excuse, but not everybody, not by a long shot." I think you would be surprised how big of a problem this is. It is probably 1000x worse than you think it is.

Wrider
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I think you took me too literally... When I said " Tired of people that cant walk, talk, eat right, drive worth a shit, brush their teeth, wipe their ass, get up and go to work, clean their clothes, love their kids, smile, prioritize and pay their bills (among other things)." I was just saying I am tired of people that cant do the basics not the physically impaired.

ADD is probably right smack in the middle of the controversy especially if you are talking about kids having it. Either way, people like the fact that they can take a pill to solve a problem while not addressing the problem and that is what drives the industry.

" Some people overmedicate, some people use it as a crutch or an excuse, but not everybody, not by a long shot." I think you would be surprised how big of a problem this is. It is probably 1000x worse than you think it is.

I apologize if I took you too literally. Reading that got my blood boiling and I probably lost my head a bit.

I definitely agree with the ADD thought process you have though. There's a reason I didn't take meds for years, because I honestly believed it was just how I worked versus other people. The other night I tried an energy drink for the first time and holy shit it messed with me. Physically relaxed me more than I've been relaxed in months, but my concentration was dead on. I usually bounce around from tangent to tangent (ever been in a conversation with someone who can start talking television shows and end up lecturing you on why Tesla was more of a visionary than Edison? That's me.) But in this case everything was clear. I wasn't bouncing around mentally, I was focused and everything made a lot more sense.
As far as kids? You're right on that. ADD at 10? No that's a kid being a kid. If they literally cannot physically pay attention for more than a minute or two, yeah that's a problem, otherwise stop being a pansy parent and make them pay attention.

As far as it being a problem, I know what you mean, my aunt is a Pharmacist, several friends are in the medical field as EMTs, ER workers, Doctors' scribes, etc, plus two friends are rehab psychologists, so I get to hear their first hand experiences. A lot of times it's people scared by the commercials the drug companies put out. A good hypochondriac can convince themselves they're having a heart attack/stroke because their hand fell asleep, but fortunately most people don't overmedicate beyond antibiotics (which I do understand the implications of) and OTC painkillers.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I apologize if I took you too literally. Reading that got my blood boiling and I probably lost my head a bit.

I definitely agree with the ADD thought process you have though. There's a reason I didn't take meds for years, because I honestly believed it was just how I worked versus other people. The other night I tried an energy drink for the first time and holy shit it messed with me. Physically relaxed me more than I've been relaxed in months, but my concentration was dead on. I usually bounce around from tangent to tangent (ever been in a conversation with someone who can start talking television shows and end up lecturing you on why Tesla was more of a visionary than Edison? That's me.) But in this case everything was clear. I wasn't bouncing around mentally, I was focused and everything made a lot more sense.
As far as kids? You're right on that. ADD at 10? No that's a kid being a kid. If they literally cannot physically pay attention for more than a minute or two, yeah that's a problem, otherwise stop being a pansy parent and make them pay attention.

As far as it being a problem, I know what you mean, my aunt is a Pharmacist, several friends are in the medical field as EMTs, ER workers, Doctors' scribes, etc, plus two friends are rehab psychologists, so I get to hear their first hand experiences. A lot of times it's people scared by the commercials the drug companies put out. A good hypochondriac can convince themselves they're having a heart attack/stroke because their hand fell asleep, but fortunately most people don't overmedicate beyond antibiotics (which I do understand the implications of) and OTC painkillers.

You and I are really alike, actually the older I have gotten the more folks like us kinda gravitate together. I battled the ADD tests when I was younger. I never took them seriously and passed the tests because I was smart enough to figure out what they wanted to hear. I had a chance years ago to have it looked at again and I decided to not do it. I kinda like me ;) lol. Meaning I have been successful kinda of letting it run its course. I was on and ambulance for years and that worked but really I had to work for myself at my speed doing the things that I want to do. Buuut I could have probably stayed on the ambulance had I taken one of the ADHD drugs.

Either way man, sorry for the confusion.

Wrider
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Not a problem at all. I was exactly the same way, I passed the tests and whatnot, but just couldn't stay focused long enough to pass a class.

Ghost
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Going around saying people don't need medication for mental illnesses isn't helpful, it might convince someone who needs the medication that it's wrong. While A critique of capitalism might be helpful, it has nothing to do with medication is good or bad, it's a tool like a hammer. I can easily kill someone with a hammer that doesn't make the hammer wrong.

I didn't say not to treat the ill, I said that when there's massive profits involved it's in their best interest to get as many people on their drugs long-term as is possible. Over-prescribing, prescribing where not truly needed, those are the issues rampant with the capitalist drive behind BigPharm.

Essentially:

I didn't say anything about not treating mental illness. I am speaking to the overmedicating of the young and the elderly as a way to control them when they do not in fact have a mental illness. So I am advocating not medicating people who are not mentally ill.

Ghost
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Not a problem at all. I was exactly the same way, I passed the tests and whatnot, but just couldn't stay focused long enough to pass a class.

Yay, ADHD, let's start a club/support group!

Nick_Ninja
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I didn't say anything about not treating mental illness. I am speaking to the overmedicating of the young and the elderly as a way to control them when they do not in fact have a mental illness. So I am advocating not medicating people who are not mentally ill. I spend most of my working day figuring out how to give the right people the right medication and keep them compliant with it. In particular, those with mental illness and chronic co-morbidities that result from the side effects of taking psychotropic medications.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/305481_239592916104171_100001603927819_712734_1284 833985_n.jpg

Ghost
Thu Dec 8th, 2011, 11:35 AM
http://www.alternet.org/story/153332/Seven_Diseases_Big_Pharma_Hopes_You_Get_in_2012/

http://images.alternet.org/images/managed/storyteaser_pharma_1236874853.jpg_310x220

It used to be joked that a consultant is someone who borrows your watch to tell you what time it is. These days, the opportunist is Big Pharma, which raises your insurance premiums and taxes while providing you "low-priced" drugs that you paid for.
How did Pharma get a good third of the United States taking antidepressants, statins, and Purple Pills, albeit at low prices? By selling the diseases of depression, high cholesterol, and gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD. Supply-driven marketing, also known as "Have Drug — Need Disease and Patients," not only turns the nation into pill-popping hypochondriacs, it distracts from Pharma's drought of real drugs for real medical problems.

Of course, not all diseases are Wall Street pleasers. To be a true blockbuster disease, a condition must (1) really exist but have huge diagnostic "wiggle room" and no clear-cut test, (2) be potentially serious with "silent symptoms" said to "only get worse" if untreated, (3) be "underrecognized," "underreported" with "barriers" to treatment, (4) explain hitherto vague health problems a patient has had, (5) have a catchy name — ED, ADHD, RLS, Low T or IBS — and instant medical identity, and (6) need an expensive new drug that has no generic equivalent.