PDA

View Full Version : No advice....just training ?s for CJ and Legal Folks

mtnairlover
Sat Dec 3rd, 2011, 11:40 AM
So, I've been trying to chat with people I know in the field...getting a hold of them is not as easy as I thought it would be.:( But, I do have some legitimate education questions related to criminal justice and paralegal, so here's some background...

I work for an online career college that we lovingly call a start-up. We don't have a whole bunch of programs to choose from, but we are growing. Since I manage the Criminal Justice and Paralegal programs from the development side, I've been tasked with finding out what areas of specialization we should think about and what potential certifications are out there.

Here's what I've got so far...

Certified Legal Assistant from NALA

That's it.

What I want to know is....

What is needed in the industry and what will be needed? The BLS is one answer...what do you say?
What kinds of training should we consider adding, so that graduates are ready to enter into the fields of criminal justice and paralegal?
What specializations are hot right now? Bankruptcy? Cyber-security? Homeland Security? ....?

I know there are other areas of emphasis, but there's too much to pick and choose from and it would be a tremendous help to narrow the field if those who are in the field now could offer up some advice....please!

Also, if you don't have the answers, but know someone who might be able to answer my questions, then point me in the right direction. The more informed I am, the better.

Thanks a bunch!