PDA

View Full Version : Note to self: Be careful around airplanes...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 12:10 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/12/05/fashion-magazine-editor-walks-into-plane-propeller/

Sux, but, anyone who ever gets on or off a small airplane needs to be aware of the dangers. I mean, did she totally not realize that an airplane HAs propellers?? Sad, but totally preventable if she'd have just been paying attention. I see soo many robotic people walking around with headphones on or totally absorbed looking at their i-whatever screen, and it's no wonder when people get pasted stepping off of curbs etc. in front of buses, cars, and trains. I wonder if that was the case here.

I`m Batman
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Well... she IS blonde... j/k

That sucks. Wonder how someone could not see/hear the plane's propeller.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Well... she IS blonde... j/k

That sucks. Wonder how someone could not see/hear the plane's propeller.
Well, that's the scary thing, all you hear is noise, but when spinning you cannot see them at all. You NEED to be aware around planes, especially small ones like that where the prop is low enough to hit you. Of course, her and/or her parents will now try and sue the airline/airplane mfg'r. for what is most likely 100% her fault for being careless......

sloridr
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 12:25 PM
That SUCKS!!! I spend a lot of time flying on prop planes. Never once have they let a passenger off the plane till the prop is completely stopped and secured with a strap. The planes I fly on are twin engine prop jobbies. I'm guess ing that the one they speak of was a single engine cessna style plane. Anyone with any sense should know not to play by a spinning prop... Again that really sucks! My prayers go out to her and her family.

derekm
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Lets give her props on a full recovery

too soon?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Lets give her props on a full recovery

too soon?
Kinda hard to have a full recovery when she's missing her hand......just sayin'........ ;)

salsashark
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 12:35 PM
wow... crazy story.

Unfortunately, I completely agree with you. She was probably distracted by whatever and not paying attention. Lawyers are probably lined up outside her hospital room now.

Oh... and be careful when the scrugg hits the fan...

grim
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I worked on these for four years
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/bike/38273_800.jpg

That's an 8 blade propeller E2c Hawkeye and those are the new series from 2004 the old series had 4 blades. the 4 blades where choppier and louder and if walked into would kill you by blunt force. The eight blade was higher pitched and would kill you by chopping you into pieces.

They are dangerous and they are to be treated with respect...if you cannot hear or see them when they are spinning you are a fucking moron!

CraigB
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 01:01 PM
HFS!

i wonder how she'll deal with it emotionally. even if she does try to blame the airline/airport in court, she's going to know deep down that she did this to herself. that'd be pretty hard to deal with, i think.

that assumes, of course, that she retains the mental capacity to do so, which may very well not happen. but, then again, she's in stable condition rather than critical so maybe she will.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I saw a WAY gruesome pic once of a Navy guy that walked into a tail rotor once on deck. It hit him under the jaw, and ripped his skull and spinal column out and threw it down the deck. The body looked totally sick with the head looking deflated because the skull was no longer in it, but the rest of the body looked fine. TOTALLY disturbing. Somehow the skull (what was left of it) with the column attached looked less disturbing, if that makes any sense. Even people who should know better (we had a chief mechanic on base get sucked out of his shoes and into the engine of an F-86) makes those mistake, but, she's lucky to have survived it at all and should have been more careful.

rforsythe
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 01:11 PM
To be fair, this was at night. I saw her parents on TV this morning saying she had already left the plane and was coming back to it for some reason. It was a small plane, 2-4 seater type. What I can't figure out is why the pilot didn't shut it down. It's not a regulatory requirement that it happen in this case, but it isn't like it adds more than a couple minutes to his day. He was swapping her for another passenger so he was going back up again, but still it's a major safety thing, especially in the dark. When I'm flying, nobody even opens the door until I have that thing stopped and electrically dead, because this is the kind of shit that happens when you fuck around inappropriately with airplanes.

Zach929rr
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 01:17 PM
http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/75500/Missing-Hand-75781.jpg

Nooch
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Is this what modern-world natural selection has come to? Its not about the slowest/weakest guy getting eaten by predators anymore. Now its about the dumbest guy walking into airplane propellers. Or accidentally riding his Segway off a cliff. Or crashing his car while texting. :think:

Keyser Soze
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Maybe she was battling Harrison Ford?

http://mos.totalfilm.com/images/t/the-50-greatest-movie-fights-ever--28-420-75.jpg

LambeauXLIV
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Maybe she was battling Harrison Ford?

first thing I thought of...

RajunCajun
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 02:05 PM
She was pretty hot! Now I guess she'll just be PLANE Jane!

I know that's the wrong word but it isn't funny with the right one.:pointlaugh:

Think
Honestly, unless the pilot had briefed them earlier on safety precautions, I'd say it's the pilots fault. Most people board planes through a jet bridge, not many board just by walking out there so it's hard to know what you're doing if you haven't done it a lot.

I was going to pay for fuel when we landed our Blackhawk at an airport back in October and I walked away from the aircraft at the nose which is a HUGE no-no since the rotor dips very far down at the nose. I'm tall at 6'3 and if there had been a bad wind gust or if someone on the controls accidentally bumped the stick forward, the rotor could have easily hit my head. I'm not very experienced, but I've been flying almost every day since March and I should have known better. People make mistakes and sometimes you get unlucky. She made a mistake and got very unlucky.

To be fair, this was at night. I saw her parents on TV this morning saying she had already left the plane and was coming back to it for some reason. It was a small plane, 2-4 seater type. What I can't figure out is why the pilot didn't shut it down. It's not a regulatory requirement that it happen in this case, but it isn't like it adds more than a couple minutes to his day. He was swapping her for another passenger so he was going back up again, but still it's a major safety thing, especially in the dark. When I'm flying, nobody even opens the door until I have that thing stopped and electrically dead, because this is the kind of shit that happens when you fuck around inappropriately with airplanes.
I don't see the point in shutting down if it's a quick swap out. He's just got to have his lights on and he's good.

grim

Thank you!!!!!!!!

rforsythe
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Honestly, unless the pilot had briefed them earlier on safety precautions, I'd say it's the pilots fault.

The existence or quality of safety briefings has not been disclosed yet. The parents weren't blaming him though, they said it was just an accident and nobody was to blame. That may change with time of course.

I don't see the point in shutting down if it's a quick swap out. He's just got to have his lights on and he's good.

This event should more than adequately illustrate the need to shut down for a quick swap out, I'd think. What are lights going to do? Sightseeing passengers aren't experienced aviators who see the red beacon and assume the aircraft is hot and dangerous, and this girl clearly didn't know how to be safe in that environment. Regardless of what you "just need to have" legally, IMO this was stacking the deck way too far against reasonable safety. Nighttime, inexperienced passengers running around, spinning meat cleaver... That's a recipe for disaster, case and point.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 04:18 PM
She made a mistake and got very lucky.
Fixored!

She's lucky to be alive, I'd count that pretty lucky, especially after what happened to the poor sailor who walked into the tail rotor. ;)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 04:19 PM
The parents weren't blaming him though, they said it was just an accident and nobody was to blame. That may change with time of course.
That WILL change after they get contacted by the first wave of ambulance-chasers. ;)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 04:20 PM
When I'm flying, nobody even opens the door until I have that thing stopped and electrically dead, because this is the kind of shit that happens when you fuck around inappropriately with airplanes.
Awesome safety precautions Ralph, good on ya mate! But, I see passengers board and deplane while the engines are running sometimes, so maybe it's not a requirement.

rforsythe
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Awesome safety precautions Ralph, good on ya mate! But, I see passengers board and deplane while the engines are running sometimes, so maybe it's not a requirement.

It isn't one, and sometimes it's not a problem. But given the circumstances in this case, it just shouldn't have happened IMO. Starting and stopping a piston plane engine is not that big of a deal, it's more complicated than turning the key in your family car but not obscenely so.

Ghost
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 05:20 PM
She's lucky to be alive, I'd count that pretty lucky, especially after what happened to the poor sailor who walked into the tail rotor. ;)

I'm not so sure. I a model missing half her face and one hand is probably out of a job, headed for massive emotional trauma, and generally not going to be able to live the life she was living prior to walking into that prop--assuming she survives, I'm not sure she'll think she was all that lucky. Sometimes, death really is preferable.

mxer
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 05:41 PM
How well can you see Christmas lights from a plane anyways?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I'm not so sure. I a model missing half her face and one hand is probably out of a job, headed for massive emotional trauma, and generally not going to be able to live the life she was living prior to walking into that prop--assuming she survives, I'm not sure she'll think she was all that lucky. Sometimes, death really is preferable.
Wow, you mean she'll have to do something *Gasp!* productive like the rest of us instead of just being eye-candy and getting paid for it????:D

grim
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Wow, you mean she'll have to do something *Gasp!* productive like the rest of us instead of just being eye-candy and getting paid for it????:D

I get paid to be eye candy what's so wrong with that?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I get paid to be eye candy what's so wrong with that?
I just threw up in my mouth........:D

Think
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 07:07 PM
The existence or quality of safety briefings has not been disclosed yet. The parents weren't blaming him though, they said it was just an accident and nobody was to blame. That may change with time of course.

This event should more than adequately illustrate the need to shut down for a quick swap out, I'd think. What are lights going to do? Sightseeing passengers aren't experienced aviators who see the red beacon and assume the aircraft is hot and dangerous, and this girl clearly didn't know how to be safe in that environment. Regardless of what you "just need to have" legally, IMO this was stacking the deck way too far against reasonable safety. Nighttime, inexperienced passengers running around, spinning meat cleaver... That's a recipe for disaster, case and point.
I completely agree, but if given a good pre-flight brief, accidents like these can be avoided and time won't be wasted.

Fixored!

I'd rather die honestly.

It isn't one, and sometimes it's not a problem. But given the circumstances in this case, it just shouldn't have happened IMO. Starting and stopping a piston plane engine is not that big of a deal, it's more complicated than turning the key in your family car but not obscenely so.
I'm not too familiar with 2 or 4 seater planes so I'm all under the assumption that it takes a while to shut off and start up like it does with the Blackhawk. If it doesn't take all that long, then you're totally right, the dude should have shut it off before allowing anyone to deplane.

rforsythe
Tue Dec 6th, 2011, 07:41 PM
How well can you see Christmas lights from a plane anyways?

Good question. As soon as I saw that story I started thinking about trying it, I mean worst case it's just a nice night flight over the city.

I completely agree, but if given a good pre-flight brief, accidents like these can be avoided and time won't be wasted.

I have to wonder how much of a quality brief he gave sitting there with the engine going. It's also possible he did, and she just spaced it. I do know my new-to-little-plane passengers are told the front end is the dangerous part, and like a gun, don't mess with it. Even when I preflight I spend as little time with my hands and face in that area as possible, engines have been known to kick over when you turn the prop to inspect the engine (hot magneto).

I'm not too familiar with 2 or 4 seater planes so I'm all under the assumption that it takes a while to shut off and start up like it does with the Blackhawk. If it doesn't take all that long, then you're totally right, the dude should have shut it off before allowing anyone to deplane.

Ah, yeah this isn't like a chopper. A proper shutdown usually means leaning the mixture to max RPM for 15 seconds or so at about 30% throttle to burn the lead off the plugs, then back to idle and mixture cutoff. Startup on a hot engine is easy, the procedure varies depending on carb vs fuel injection but is just a half dozen steps or so. You could shutdown and restart inside of a minute.

Think
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Good question. As soon as I saw that story I started thinking about trying it, I mean worst case it's just a nice night flight over the city.

I have to wonder how much of a quality brief he gave sitting there with the engine going. It's also possible he did, and she just spaced it.
I was under the assumption she was flying to whatever town/city had the Christmas lights and they were going to drive to go see them...

He could have given the brief before they started the plane, but then I wonder how he would brief the people he was swapping her out for.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 12:31 PM
You know, this accident just made me think of an invention to prevent these kinds of things.......:idea:

rforsythe
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 12:37 PM
??

http://controlmind.info/images/stories/brain.jpg

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 12:38 PM
^^^jets have already been invented frank :lol:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 01:12 PM
^^^jets have already been invented frank :lol:
Hah! Although, plenty of people still get sucked into them. We had a guy out at the Navy airfield get sucked out of his shoes and into an F-86 engine, and he was a master mechanic. They say that might have been suicide though........

I remember seeing a video of a guy get sucked into the intake of an F-14 I think it was, or something similar. Luckily, he was big enough to get stuck and not pulled into the blades, although it ruptured his eardrums and damn near sucked his eyes out before the pilot shut it down.

No, this is something different, for prop drives only...... ;)

Ghost
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Been there, done that.

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/aircraft/Caproni-Stipa/IMAGES/Bell-X22.jpg

salsashark
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 02:08 PM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-M1NVwjo4I1E/Tt_VdfINDLI/AAAAAAAAMnI/Wd8tbvrDAjI/s714/p51shooter.jpg

Ghost
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 02:15 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-M1NVwjo4I1E/Tt_VdfINDLI/AAAAAAAAMnI/Wd8tbvrDAjI/s714/p51shooter.jpg

RC Salad Shooter?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Been there, done that.

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/aircraft/Caproni-Stipa/IMAGES/Bell-X22.jpg
Nope, not a ducted fan. ;)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM
That's just wrong, but.......Hah!