PDA

View Full Version : Can any IT guys out there settle a bet?

Vitesse304
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 10:48 AM
So I work for a relatively large corporation and a co-worker and I were talking about what IT can see and what they can't see on our computers.

This conversation stems from another co-worker who was looking for another job and made the stupid mistake of e-mailing her resume and cover letter through her company e-mail. (Her boss had IT pull her e-mails so they knew she was trying to leverage an offer for a wage increase.)

Now of course, we know IT can pull e-mails and see what webpages we've visted, but since some of us work on laptops, the argument came up as to what can they really see?

Can IT see what we do if we are not on the company network?
Can IT see what documents we open when we are not on the network?
Does saving your documents on a USB drive protect it from being seen by IT when you are off the network?

birchyboy
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 10:55 AM
The answer to all of your questions can be yes if a remote access/monitoring software is in place. We use LogMeIn on all of our computers (laptops and desktops) for remote tech support which gives access to the desktop as well as the file system. There could be remnants of files in your temporary directories, etc.

If there is any question about what you're doing, do it on your personal computer not company computer.

cptschlongenheimer
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 10:55 AM
If they've installed key-loggers or other tracking software. They can potentially see everything you do. If they haven't, they'll only be able to see any data that goes across their network. If you don't clear your document and browsing history (including cookies, temp files and downloads) they could potentially download those from your laptop to their server for inspection at network logon time, but few places do this.

asp_125
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Browser cache, registry entries, anything that records a history while off the network can be seen next time you connect to the network.

Vitesse304
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 11:17 AM
So let's say you save your resume on a USB drive, or any file for that matter, photos, .pdf, .doc, excel. You then open it on your work computer, will IT be able to see that you opened that document on your work computer?

Vitesse304
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 11:18 AM
The answer to all of your questions can be yes if a remote access/monitoring software is in place. We use LogMeIn on all of our computers (laptops and desktops) for remote tech support which gives access to the desktop as well as the file system. There could be remnants of files in your temporary directories, etc.

If there is any question about what you're doing, do it on your personal computer not company computer.

We do have remote access installed on our computers and when we are off network, we use a VPN.

I totally agree on the doing everything on your own computer...company equipment is company property, I won't even print a personal document at work...

asp_125
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 11:31 AM
So let's say you save your resume on a USB drive, or any file for that matter, photos, .pdf, .doc, excel. You then open it on your work computer, will IT be able to see that you opened that document on your work computer?

Yes, ever check the "recent documents" in Word or any MS office program? Of course if the document is not residing on the hard drive they can only see the document name, not its content. Simply rename the document to "nonyabidnezz.doc" :D

rforsythe
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 11:31 AM

Potentially yes, this is becoming a lot easier to do.

Bottom line: If the company owns the asset, they can potentially see everything that happens on it. If it's something you'd get in trouble for, use your personal machine and don't do it on their network.

asp_125
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Smartphone and Google Docs ftw! :D

rforsythe
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Yes, ever check the "recent documents" in Word or any MS office program? Of course if the document is not residing on the hard drive they can only see the document name, not its content. Simply rename the document to "nonyabidnezz.doc" :D

MS products have been known to retain caches. Also your system will often index the contents of email, docs, etc for the quick search functions the OS provides. If you let the system know its there, assume it has been indexed or copied in some form elsewhere.

Vitesse304
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys! My paranoid big brother theory wins out since nobody here has the balls to go ask IT what they can see! (Not that they would tell us anyways...)

modette99
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Maybe best to own a Netbook because they are small and you can take that into the office when you want to do some touch ups on resumes and what have you. Tether your phone and bam you have Internet too.

JonnyD
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 12:52 PM
When I was working for the USGS we were casually warned that they could even scan outgoing emails from Yahoo/gmail on the company network. IE: Don't do anything personal on it! That didn't stop us, but none of us had anything to do with resume's or consipiracy theories while at work. Smartphones FTW.

And if you really want to know, get a cute girl at the office to put a bowl of candy on her desk and casually ask IT while they fix something else. Bribery works everytime.

CaptGoodvibes
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Anyone with an Intro to Networking course has the skill to install free software and look at your network traffic. Always assume IT is heavily scrutinizing everything.

dm_gsxr
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 03:07 PM
And for goodness sakes, don't put your personal device on the company network. One of the managers here got fired because he was taking meeting notes on his iPad. Company confidential information on the cloud is very bad juju.

Carl

asp_125
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Ok here's a question. Can a smartphone hooked to the office wifi be hacked/scanned?

dm_gsxr
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Ok here's a question. Can a smartphone hooked to the office wifi be hacked/scanned?

Absolutely.

Carl

birchyboy
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 03:26 PM

Some companies will have a network scanner in between the network and the outside router that logs any and all traffic. Not a direct scan but still able to know who's going where on what device.

CaptGoodvibes
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Never put your smartphone on the company network. Never!

Pachuco
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Basically it all depends on what the company has in place on the workstations and on the network. but if it is on the company network they can view everything that goes thru it, even if it is on your personal computer or wifi phone/tablet such as a ipad. if they have a decent security staff they can view deeper into your stuff. I love to go into companies and scan and hack into peoples computers. you get to see some "real" interesting items. I have gotten confidential docs off of peoples wifi enabled phones and ipads.

so in turn do it on your own computer and own internet. that is why i have my own MIFI internet card to surf personal stuff off of the companies network.

Mac020
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Who's watching the watchers?

asp_125
Wed Dec 7th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Who's watching the watchers?

Lol, they police themselves, ..... And post friday kitteh pics here. ;)