PDA

View Full Version : Always have an escape route. Motorcyclist killed by woman painting her nails

Clovis
Sun Dec 11th, 2011, 07:48 PM
From 2009. A female motorcyclist was rear ended and killed at an intersection by a driver distracted while painting her nails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q09mqgVxub0&feature=related

This is exactly why you should always have an escape route ready. When coming to a stop light, point your bike to go around the car in front of you. If you're on 2 lane or wider highway point it inbetween two cars. Let the other cars act as a shield. If you point the bike to the right (into the turning lane) you still may get creamed.

Sarge
Sun Dec 11th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Not to be an ass, but this topic has been covered in the past here. The lady was convicted of manslaughter or murder, sentanced to 2 years I think, and allowed to work, which was kind of strange, but she had to spend nights and weekends in jail. Some people thought it was light, (and I agree) but the lady is now a convicted felon and lost her nursing license.

Grand
Mon Dec 12th, 2011, 11:01 AM
The lady was convicted of manslaughter or murder, sentanced to 2 years I think, and allowed to work, which was kind of strange, but she had to spend nights and weekends in jail.

And sentenced to use nothing but a 50cc puch for transportation for the remainder of her life? Hopefully the judges will start getting creative someday.

mdub
Mon Dec 12th, 2011, 11:07 AM
the lady is now a convicted felon and lost her nursing license.

just goes to show you how lovely our judicial system is.

Clovis
Mon Dec 12th, 2011, 01:39 PM
That's true but the lessons are still true. The CSC has new members and new riders that join every day. I wouldn't expect them to go searching for old obscure threads.

Not to be an ass, but this topic has been covered in the past here.

Nooch
Tue Dec 13th, 2011, 11:47 AM
This is something that is always in my head when I ride and I sometimes wonder if Im being too paranoid because of how little I hear others talk about the danger of being rear-ended on a bike. I never put my bike into neutral at a stoplight until the car behind me is stopped and I never take my eyes off the mirrors until then either. For that matter, I limit my city riding as much as possible, especially at night and on Friday/Saturday evenings when the DUIs are heavier.

Clovis
Tue Dec 13th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I do all that As well. Ive never been rear ended but I have had close calls where having an escape route and staying in gear has saved me from it.

Drano
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 11:55 AM
This is exactly what happened to me when I crashed in October. I was in the right lane as the car to the left of me came careening into my lane. I had nowhere to go, so I tried to stop, lost control, and ate it big time. I'm still recovering from the internal injuries that easily could have been avoided if I had been in a better position with an escape route to use.

Ninja2
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Happened to me, too. You esp have to think about it when sweeping or riding by yourself. Had to wait for cattle crossing on 67 to Deckers from Woodland Park. It was in a turn. There was one more rider. Fortunately, we had staggered, and I left some extra room and my bike in gear.
All I remember is seeing a woman in the corner of my left eye pulling her hair and looked like she was screaming. I looked in the mirror, and, sure enough, this Ford Pick Up was coming towards me. I gave it a bit of gas and the driver was able to come to complete stop before hitting me.

Scary, but I am so thankful for the woman that I saw in the corner of my eye. Never had a chance to thank you. But if you are out there - THANK YOU SO MUCH!

duelist13
Sat Dec 17th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Hope she feels great about allllllllllll that time saved painting her nails in her car instead of, oh, ANYWHERE ELSE.

biikChiQ
Sat Dec 17th, 2011, 01:24 PM
That's true but the lessons are still true. The CSC has new members and new riders that join every day. I wouldn't expect them to go searching for old obscure threads.

New to riding this year and I ran across this article on another forum the week you posted this.
It's crazy to find out what sort of things people do behind the wheel.

I've seen a rear-end once in Boulder but not full on. Both the car and motorcycle did come to a complete safe stop at the light. The guy was in neutral and then his light turned green. As soon as he got into gear the woman behind him rams him. Then she squeezed her way out from between the motorcycle and the car behind her and took off. If I wasn't behind so many cars, I would've chased after her to get her plates at least.

MissBratt
Sat Dec 17th, 2011, 11:39 PM
That's scary!!! See it's not always bikes!! :)

Clovis
Sun Dec 18th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I forget who it is, but someone here got their bike sandwiched between a car and a Prius that rear-ended him.

Ride with the mentality that everyone is out to kill you. Sounds like overkill but you really do have to keep your head on a swivel.

MissBratt
Sun Dec 18th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Clovis- Very true!