PDA

View Full Version : Made in America?

mastap07
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 10:12 AM
for all you construction workers, small project, home owners and do it yourselfers, check this out!
http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/0_04vzdsr5/uiconf_id/5590821

laspariahs
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 10:47 AM
for all you construction workers, small project, home owners and do it yourselfers, check this out!
http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/0_04vzdsr5/uiconf_id/5590821

The house costs 1% more, what's the excuse for not doing it this way?

CraigB
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 10:56 AM
this is cool.

i tried to go a month without buying anything made in China. i ran into a problem when upgrading some bathroom fixtures. i searched long and hard but everything i found was made in China.

i had what i thought was an a-ha moment and went looking for American Standard fixtures. nope. they're made in China too. Come on!!!

A little part of me died that day.

i'd like to get my hands on the list of manufacturers that guy is using.

birchyboy
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 10:59 AM
this is cool.

i tried to go a month without buying anything made in China. i ran into a problem when upgrading some bathroom fixtures. i searched long and hard but everything i found was made in China.

i had what i thought was an a-ha moment and went looking for American Standard fixtures. nope. they're made in China too. Come on!!!

A little part of me died that day.

i'd like to get my hands on the list of manufacturers that guy is using.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/page?id=13061314

Ezzzzy1
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Its a great idea... Till you have to fill the house. Game over.

Problem here is we are "FREE". Meaning we can do whatever we want, even if it fucks ourselves. The beauty of America is that we will do whatever we can to protect our rights to buy shit from China.

Im all about people supporting quality American made stuff but just know Costco, Home Depot etc.. buy this crap by the Billions. Not much you can do in a economy like the present with a country full of brainwashed China purchasers. I mean it IS what we all wanted in the first place, right?

laspariahs
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Not much you can do in a economy like the present with a country full of brainwashed China purchasers.

Yeah, you can do something, you can not be one of them.

asp_125
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Ok let's all get rid of our shitty asian bikes and buy Harleys!! USA!! woot!!!

CraigB
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 11:47 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/page?id=13061314

cool, thanks! i should've watched the full clip.

grim
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 12:09 PM

Not all of the parts are made in the USA sorry to burst your sarcastic bubble

Ezzzzy1
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Yeah, you can do something, you can not be one of them.

I guess what I am saying is that when people do not have extra money they surely purchase the cheap non US alternative. I do my best, usually have a few extra bucks to throw around and always make buying US and Colorado a priority but that doesnt go for everyone.

Ghost
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 01:10 PM
For 1% more, if I were buying a new-built home I'd do it.

Of course, most of the housing out here isn't single-home, it's housing complexes like Lennar (or whomever) and they use the cheapest materials they can source--so you have to convince them to switch over to US goods (and pass the 1% on to the consumer).

laspariahs
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I guess what I am saying is that when people do not have extra money they surely purchase the cheap non US alternative. I do my best, usually have a few extra bucks to throw around and always make buying US and Colorado a priority but that doesnt go for everyone.

Buying american SAVES me money often times, seriously, groceries for one. At the end of the day I feel it's at least break even. Plus it keeps me from buying stuff I don't NEED.

Clovis
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I would pay 1% more on a house for all of the materials to be made in America.

I could never give up Yamaha motorcycles though, you've gotta draw the line somewhere!

Ghost
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I would pay 1% more on a house for all of the materials to be made in America.

I could never give up Yamaha motorcycles though, you've gotta draw the line somewhere!

The more interesting question is, do you buy the Honda/Toyota car that's assembled here in the US by American workers, or do you buy the GM/Ford that's assembled in Canada/Mexico?

Ezzzzy1
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Buying american SAVES me money often times, seriously, groceries for one. At the end of the day I feel it's at least break even. Plus it keeps me from buying stuff I don't NEED.

I get that, but most of the time I dont think the quality is there... Especially with electronics.

I never thought about it as far as not buying stuff I dont need... In just the few seconds that I have thought about it I would say 95+% of the things I dont "need" come from other countries.

grim
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 03:02 PM
occupy china!!

Ghost
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 03:07 PM
occupy china!!

Isn't that WW III?

grim
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Isn't that WW III?

With the way we handle our pepper spray it seems it will be yes.

Clovis
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM
That's a good point, I almost forgot about that. I know Toyota's workers are non-unionized as well (A big plus as that reduces cost). The unions add about $3,000 into the price of every American vehicle.

If the the domestic automakers made their cars on the same level of quality as the Japanese and German makers, I would buy American again. As it stands now the better value is in Japanese followed by German if you're more into refined cars.

Previously I bought 2 Fords and both had major problems after 70,000 miles.

My wife's Chevy ran like a champ for years.

My other Japanese cars I was able to re-sell without problems.

Current vehicles are a Subaru and a VW.

No problems with the Subaru, the VW is great but we had to fix a lot of "minor" electrical issues with the accessories that are expensive. ($20 part, $200 labor type stuff). I'm on the fence about another VW due to the service cost.

We live in Fountain so we each drive over 20,000 miles per year so reliability is our primary concern as car buyers. Secondly we look at style, comfort, practicality and fun.

The more interesting question is, do you buy the Honda/Toyota car that's assembled here in the US by American workers, or do you buy the GM/Ford that's assembled in Canada/Mexico?

mdub
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 04:43 PM
after watching this.....john cougar is echoing ....."lil pink houses for you and me....."

Ghost
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 04:48 PM
That's a good point, I almost forgot about that. I know Toyota's workers are non-unionized as well (A big plus as that reduces cost). The unions add about $3,000 into the price of every American vehicle.

Adding to the equation (for those who care) is the carbon footprint of the vehicle in question, and I don't mean just its carbon footprint, but the total purchase cycle footprint--if you buy one of the Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Subaru/VW cars assembled in America you're cutting out all the trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic shipping and associated pollution--just like buying the American nails in the video versus the Chinese ones.

American cars are improving, and most industry quality surveys put the domestics on par with their German counterparts, but still below the Japanese and now, in many cases, below the Koreans.

mdub
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM
American cars are improving,

cause they want to keep their jobs.

in many cases, below the Koreans.

i dunno ...i wont buy one. even though i hear good news.

Filo
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Made in America is hard to define these days. The semiconductors I work on are designed in the US for the most part, the wafers are manufactured in the US for the most part, then they are shipped to Asia to be put in the plastic packages, tested and sent back. When they arrive they are marked as being from the country they are assembled in. Most of the high tech content of the chip is US made but they are market Malaysia or Singapore or China...

The more complex the part, the worse it is to tell where it comes from. Nails are pretty easy. Cars and computers, not so much.

asp_125
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 05:32 PM
The more complex the part, the worse it is to tell where it comes from. Nails are pretty easy. Cars and computers, not so much.

Devil's advocate:

Where does the iron for the US nails get mined? Where do the chemicals or minerals that make up the Sherwin Williams paint pigment come from? Or the petroleum distillates ... are they from US oil or foreign sources?

I wonder how many companies on that list are simply US companies or is there truly 100% domestic content?

Ezzzzy1
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Devil's advocate:

Where does the iron for the US nails get mined? Where do the chemicals or minerals that make up the Sherwin Williams paint pigment come from? Or the petroleum distillates ... are they from US oil or foreign sources?

I wonder how many companies on that list are simply US companies or is there truly 100% domestic content?

This is the real question... ^^ I do business with both local and foreign companies that said only one time have I been able to find what I need made 100% American. EVERY other time they are half US made and half foreign with less than 100% of the assembly being done in the states. To boot I have been lied to by American companies "oh yeah it American made", Im thinking a LOT of companies lie.

jbnwc
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 08:42 AM

We could buy Victory's and still have the quality we're used to.