PDA

View Full Version : Seat Height Adjustment

Ol'Skool
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 07:26 PM
First of all, is the seat adjustable on an 05 FZ1?
Ive ridden with others who claim my seat appears high which explains my difficulty in parking and maneuvering in lots. (being 5'6 doesnt help either) The spec sites list the seat at 32.3 if adjustable, lowest setting. Are some seats adjustable? mine is stock.
Im to the point where Im tired of assessing every parking lot and dread trying to back her into space. I love the bike, she performs amazingly but I may consider selling her if I cant find a solution.
Thanks

3D
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 07:32 PM
You will either have to get your seat shaved or put lowering links on. No bike that I have ever heard of has adjustable seats.

grim
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Never heard of an adjustable seat I think someone is pulling your leg. You can adjust the springs in the bike to have it lowered so it's easier to put your feet down just take it to a shop and they should help you out.

Bueller
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 07:49 PM
You can adjust the springs in the bike to have it lowered so it's easier to put your feet down just take it to a shop and they should help you out.
Removing preload to lower a bike is not a good way to to accomplish your goal, it is howerer a good way to make your bike handle like shit.

grim
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Removing preload to lower a bike is not a good way to to accomplish your goal, it is howerer a good way to make your bike handle like shit.

It's an option though I know femal riders who have had the bike lowered so they can get there feet to the ground however they don't ride with me or like I do they just go to and from work.

Bueller
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 08:09 PM
My wife rides very conservatively on the street, but I lowered her bike correctly and it rides really well. I can even rail on it without a problem but I would never change ride height with the preload. Sag settings are the initial adjustment that the rest of the suspension is contingent on.

lytehouse
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
First of all, is the seat adjustable on an 05 FZ1?
Ive ridden with others who claim my seat appears high which explains my difficulty in parking and maneuvering in lots. (being 5'6 doesnt help either) The spec sites list the seat at 32.3 if adjustable, lowest setting. Are some seats adjustable? mine is stock.
Im to the point where Im tired of assessing every parking lot and dread trying to back her into space. I love the bike, she performs amazingly but I may consider selling her if I cant find a solution.
Thanks

Try being 5'3"! I still have to be careful of parking lots and always look at how I park it....which way the bike will lean, etc.
I put a Soupy's Lowering Link on my '09 FZ1 and shaved the seat.

http://www.soupysperformance.com/FZ1_products.html

Ol'Skool
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I never had these issues with the old FZ6 but I love the "POWA" of my FZ1.

Ol'Skool
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 08:43 PM
FZ6r has an adjustable seat. 30.1 stock, adjusts 3/4 inch higher or lower. I have mixed feelings about the bike though.

rfranks303
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Swifts BMW has an adjustable seat. If you sell it you may get a lower bike that you don't like as much. If you like the bike, it's worth spending a couple hundred bucks to lower it or shave the seat, in my opinion.

grim
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 08:51 PM
My wife rides very conservatively on the street, but I lowered her bike correctly and it rides really well. I can even rail on it without a problem but I would never change ride height with the preload. Sag settings are the initial adjustment that the rest of the suspension is contingent on.

Ah that makes sense

Sully
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 08:58 PM
It's an option though I know femal riders who have had the bike lowered so they can get there feet to the ground however they don't ride with me or like I do they just go to and from work.

That's because not many girls want to ride slow like you do! :lol:

My bike has a 1" lowering link on it, adjusted the forks and I had the seat shaved as well. Seems to handle fine for me. It took some getting use to stopping with one foot down and I still have to watch out for uneven pavement and gravel when I stop at lights or park.

Ol'Skool
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Changing the oil is about as hands on as I get. Sully & Lytehouse where did you have your seat shaved?.....Ha ha!....but seriously.

bornwildnfree
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Um...I seem to remember a trip to Cortez with you and I've got my bike lowered. If you do it correctly (Dave Rose FTW!) then there is no issue with the handling.

Sully
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Fay Myers lowered mine. As far as seat shaving goes, I went to this upholstery place in Wheatridge.. can't remember the name tho :( sorry.. but I think you could probably check around on line.

grim
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Um...I seem to remember a trip to Cortez with you and I've got my bike lowered. If you do it correctly (Dave Rose FTW!) then there is no issue with the handling.

Wasnt singling you out sorry, you're not one of the girls I was refferring to we all know you can keep up with everyone! But you are however a prime example of having your bike lowered thanks fer stepping in!!

grim
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 10:02 PM
That's because not many girls want to ride slow like you do! :lol:

My bike has a 1" lowering link on it, adjusted the forks and I had the seat shaved as well. Seems to handle fine for me. It took some getting use to stopping with one foot down and I still have to watch out for uneven pavement and gravel when I stop at lights or park.

Thems is fightin words sully youre in trouble next time I see you!!

lytehouse
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Changing the oil is about as hands on as I get. Sully & Lytehouse where did you have your seat shaved?.....Ha ha!....but seriously.

I did it myself.....there was a "how to video" somewhere, it really was easy, but messy as h*ll!
I'm sure if you just searched You Tube, it would pop up.

bornwildnfree
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Wasnt singling you out sorry, you're not one of the girls I was refferring to we all know you can keep up with everyone! But you are however a prime example of having your bike lowered thanks fer stepping in!!

I does what I can for the short people of the world.

irdave
Sun Dec 18th, 2011, 12:05 PM
A late chime in... It's possible that someone else added a LOT of preload, which is raising the rear... Something to think about. Should be about a cm (10mm, 3/8") of free sag in the back- with the bike vertical, you should be able to pick the back up about a centimeter before it tops out. If there's no free sag, there's too much preload on the shock spring.

Suppose it also possible someone had the seat made bigger...

Foolds
Sun Dec 18th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I sent my sv650 seat to Spensers Motorcycle Seats.. http://www.greatdaytoride.com

His work was AMAZING before the seat was like sitting on a bus bench and hurt after 100 miles.. After I did 500 mile days easy. I really recommend his work he can shave and make much much more comfy for you if you want or just make more comfy or just shave. He can add gel if you want and memory foam.

AOK303
Sun Dec 18th, 2011, 01:47 PM
my bike was lowered not by me, and only in quick sharp turns can i feel the difference i am going to raise it back up though this summer too bad you dont have a cbrleet i would sell you the link i have