PDA

View Full Version : Any One Elses Xbox 360 Screwed After New Update Last Week?

Foolds
Wed Dec 14th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Mine Started To Crash And Freeze up after doing the update. Here is a copy of my story below... Anyone else have this problem on CSC.. I have found LOTS of people talking about it on xbox forums just wondering if anyone local has it too.

Came home, turned on the console. Was prompted for an update. Update finished successfully and console restarted.
Immediately afterward, when trying to log in to play a game, it froze. I could not access the menu to get to the dashboard, nothing. Restarted. This time the 360 loading screen came on but froze before even getting ot the dashboard. Power button would not work even if held down. Had to pull power cord. I let it sit a few minutes, turned it on. Got past the loading screen this time but froze shortly after with same symptoms. It freezes every time I turn it on now, I reboot and it either freezes on the loading screen or at some point within the first 5 mins. I have tried the troubleshooting steps listed on the support site for freezing, and as I thought, they did not resolve this
My console has been running fine, problem free, for years now and was working fine this very week. I am 100% positive this problem is due to the update. Please oh please do not tell me that I have to send it in for repairs...I don't mind sending it to get repaired, I'm just certain that doing so will result in my being charged to get it fixed. Which, given that the problem was caused by an update, should not be the case. Please help.

bulldog
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 07:59 AM
You can usually call Xbox and they will take your serial number and let you know if it will be covered. In the past I have sent one back and was surprised that it got back to me in about a week; they even sent me a label for shipping. If it is not covered I would escalate it and explain it was their update that killed it.

What about a factory reset? You looked into that? http://www.zollotech.com/2011/01/13/how-to-reset-your-xbox-360-to-factory-default/

Sorry wish I had a fix for you man, but I got so tired of mine breaking I finally went to the darkside of PS3 and never regretted it. You are pretty lucky it lasted this long.

grim
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Mine Started To Crash And Freeze up after doing the update. Here is a copy of my story below... Anyone else have this problem on CSC.. I have found LOTS of people talking about it on xbox forums just wondering if anyone local has it too.

Came home, turned on the console. Was prompted for an update. Update finished successfully and console restarted.
Immediately afterward, when trying to log in to play a game, it froze. I could not access the menu to get to the dashboard, nothing. Restarted. This time the 360 loading screen came on but froze before even getting ot the dashboard. Power button would not work even if held down. Had to pull power cord. I let it sit a few minutes, turned it on. Got past the loading screen this time but froze shortly after with same symptoms. It freezes every time I turn it on now, I reboot and it either freezes on the loading screen or at some point within the first 5 mins. I have tried the troubleshooting steps listed on the support site for freezing, and as I thought, they did not resolve this
My console has been running fine, problem free, for years now and was working fine this very week. I am 100% positive this problem is due to the update. Please oh please do not tell me that I have to send it in for repairs...I don't mind sending it to get repaired, I'm just certain that doing so will result in my being charged to get it fixed. Which, given that the problem was caused by an update, should not be the case. Please help.

What date was the update and when was the last time you turned on your xbox?

If you are talking about the major one that they did a few weeks ago that changed the display and everything, No my xbox has been just fine but if there is another one i don't know about it i haven't switched on the xbox since last Friday.

EVO8
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Its a gaming console. I never do the updates.

I`m Batman
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I just updated mine too... because my wife bought the Kinect for my daughter. I just want to make sure everything is ready for Christmas, when it's time to play. Everything seems fine but I haven't loaded a game yet. I guess we'll find out on Christmas.

3D
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 09:29 AM
It's microsoft's way of making you spend money on a new one just before xmas... PS3 rocks......:rock:

Zach929rr
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I haven't had any problems since the dashboard update.

Scer
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Mine is fine.

Update in updatas

Foolds
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I played mine the day before the update worked great... Came home did the update the day it came out (required to if you want to play online) and first game after the update the freezing started.

I've called xbox life support 5 times, and spoken to managers 4 out of 5 times and have been told everything from our engeners tested this before it went out and there are no problems to Yep we know of the problem, pay us $99 and we will fix it. Don't wanna pay then don't get it fixed.

Very unhappy with xbox support right now

bulldog
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I played mine the day before the update worked great... Came home did the update the day it came out (required to if you want to play online) and first game after the update the freezing started.

I've called xbox life support 5 times, and spoken to managers 4 out of 5 times and have been told everything from our engeners tested this before it went out and there are no problems to Yep we know of the problem, pay us $99 and we will fix it. Don't wanna pay then don't get it fixed.

Very unhappy with xbox support right now Welcome to the club! Come to PS3! never had one issue with them and enjoy the free internet play; .mkv streaming, plus bluray and 3d bluray.

Did you see that reset I posted? You may lose all data, but it may work to get rid of that update.

grim
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 01:58 PM

Very unhappy with xbox support right now

Yea that's bullshit

Foolds
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Welcome to the club! Come to PS3! never had one issue with them and enjoy the free internet play; .mkv streaming, plus bluray and 3d bluray.

Did you see that reset I posted? You may lose all data, but it may work to get rid of that update.

I tried taking the hard drive off the unit as its not required to run an xbox... still did the same thing. The firmware is written to flash memory

bulldog
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I tried taking the hard drive off the unit as its not required to run an xbox... still did the same thing. The firmware is written to flash memory That link claimed it took back to the way it was when you first bought it, but not sure it does the flash memory. http://www.zollotech.com/2011/01/13/how-to-reset-your-xbox-360-to-factory-default/

Ghost
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Welcome to the club! Come to PS3! never had one issue with them and enjoy the free internet play; .mkv streaming, plus bluray and 3d bluray.

A friend of mine has had over 10 RRoD, and yes, it eventually gets replaced, but really, who wants that?

I've two other friends who now have both XBoxes and PS3s, and they seem to play primarily on PS3 now.

I've never had any issues with my PS3, and with its BR player and with the PS3 linked into my media server and a USB-linked external HD it's simply an amazing device.

For the money, PS3 rules....Come join us. :p

But, in the meantime, I hope you get your Box fixed...

TurboGizzmo
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 03:47 PM
What i assume many of these updates are for is to battle the cracking of the new copy protection and devices like the xkey for the xbox but they just end up screwing legitimate users.

Ghost
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 04:08 PM
What i assume many of these updates are for is to battle the cracking of the new copy protection and devices like the xkey for the xbox but they just end up screwing legitimate users.

Isn't that always what happens? It never stops the cracks, and just F*s the legitimate users...it's not just Xbox, it's PC as well.

bulldog
Thu Dec 15th, 2011, 04:09 PM
A friend of mine has had over 10 RRoD, and yes, it eventually gets replaced, but really, who wants that?

I've two other friends who now have both XBoxes and PS3s, and they seem to play primarily on PS3 now.

I've never had any issues with my PS3, and with its BR player and with the PS3 linked into my media server and a USB-linked external HD it's simply an amazing device.

For the money, PS3 rules....Come join us. :p

But, in the meantime, I hope you get your Box fixed... Man don't let Ricky see this! He will get pissed; he is all for Xbox :lol:

I`m Batman
Sat Dec 24th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Just an update. I finally played a game on the Xbox this morning with all the latest updates and Kinect and everything worked fine. I have one of the old original white Xbox one.