PDA

View Full Version : Need a Shop Recommendation to Apply Caswell..

BushyAR15
Fri Dec 16th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I bought Caswell tank sealer to apply to my '05 Ducati Multistrada fuel tank.

But after reading the directions sounds like I need to hire someone to do it. You can't do it below 70 degrees and I'm not going to do it in my basement as it seems the stuff is highly caustic. Also the Multistrada fuel tank isn't just a fuel tank. Its a very complex shape that goes under the seat and into the tail...

And if this stuff gets on the outside looks like it would do damage. So, I'm thinking I better hire someone/find a shop

Anybody know of a shop that has experience applying Caswell (not like Kreem)? Or knows of a shop that can do this?

TIA

BushyAR15
Mon Jan 30th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Bump Still looking... or wanting to find a shop....

salsashark
Mon Jan 30th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I was talking to Mike @ Supertune and he was describing a process that one of his vendors is using to glean out old metal tanks. The process involves sealing the tank w/ glass media inside and shaking the every living piss out of it or something like that. Anyways, call Supertune and see if either they, or they know of someone who can do this. If they can do the work on your tank, I'm sure they probably know who can.

apptwins
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 09:41 PM
hi guys - I had a 2005 Multistrada 1000DS new/demo bike. Owned it for 3-4 years. About 8k miles or so it developed the dreaded warped bayonet fuel pump fitting leak back over the rear tire/under pillion. It is a plastic tank and very complex, as described.

There are lots of threads/research on this at various sites, including Multistrada.net

I had mine replaced under warranty... including the rear tire, which was melted by gas dripping on it (I was on a 2 week business trip) Took 2 tanks, the first was damaged/warped like the orig. Had to get the 2nd from Bologna, IT. Not sure if this sealing method is going to work, but good luck. Supertune Mike is the best to consult ... or even Erico (talk to Ossy), if you wish to use a dealer. Those darned tanks are expensive. Wonder if Ducati might cover some/all of this, it is a known problem.

Otherwise, the bike was flawless. Rode that thing hard all over the place including several trips to 4corners/Durango with Lomax.

BTW: great bike and really like the classic MultiStrudel. The '05's were very tunable with open loop system (no O2 sensor, etc.) Grrreat motor that 2 valve thumper !!

Rear view is the most "scenic". That crazy fuel tank runs from the steering head ... back under the seat ... and back to the pillion. There is a narrow channel between the large (front) and small (rear) tank areas. Filling the tank properly is a trick in itself. The fuel pump is right above the exhaust mid-pipe in the picture.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee121/alfaduc/ducati/duc1221.jpg

That is a beautiful Staintune header pipe blued to perfection up front.

Good luck with the fix b-AR15.

Airreed
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I have the leaky tank also......seams like Ducati is aware of the issue but has not addressed the issue at the production level......they will get you a new tank, but as long as you put ethenal fuel back in the tank the issue starts over again.

I've read of people buying carbon fibre tanks but that's a lot of $$$$$.