PDA

View Full Version : Tasty Whiskey

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:44 PM
http://leopoldbros.com/New_site/Rocky_Mountain_Blackberry_Whiskey.html

VERY interesting and tasty. It's just cool to have a blue whiskey! :)

mdub
Fri Dec 23rd, 2011, 01:00 PM
nice..I found Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey. It has less alc. in comparison to the original, but very tastee.

vort3xr6
Fri Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
Wife just bought me Willet single barrel 12 year whiskey. So delicious.

JohnEffinK
Fri Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Blantons.

John

Ezzzzy1
Fri Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:08 PM
Pretty bad ass Denver bar that really represents the state well and all it micro breweries. You can buy a whole bottle of Whiskey and they store it there for you, pretty cool concept.

http://www.rackhousepub.com/

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Leopold Bros. have been on my radar for a few years now. Everything they make is good.

Their Three Pins is great after a day of snow sports! http://leopoldbros.com/New_site/Three_Pins_Albine_Herbal_Liqueur.html

Sparker
Sat Dec 24th, 2011, 09:30 AM
If you can swing it before it's gone. Get a bottle of the Jack Daniels holiday select. 100 proof and smooyh with a great finish

salsashark
Sat Dec 24th, 2011, 09:40 AM
If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!

CaptGoodvibes
Sat Dec 24th, 2011, 12:52 PM
If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!

That's ridiculous. There is plenty of Scotch that is terrible and plenty of American whiskey that is delicious.

fasterlaster
Sat Dec 24th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Whiskey is wonderful. It's far more portable than beer and can be taken off the beaten path. As much as I like beer, a bottle of Maker's or Stranahans will warm my spirits well ;)
http://fasterlaster.smugmug.com/Family/Misc/i-fb6WQZR/0/L/20070114-073801-L.jpg

salsashark
Sat Dec 24th, 2011, 02:10 PM
That's ridiculous. There is plenty of Scotch that is terrible and plenty of American whiskey that is delicious.

Well, if you're drinking lowland bog water whiskey, then yes... there are some terrible scotch whiskeys. But if you go north, Scotland has the good ole US beat hands down for quality whiskey. Now, if you like your whiskey drowning in coke, then saddle up with some good ole Kentucky Red Eye.

Whiskey is wonderful. It's far more portable than beer and can be taken off the beaten path. As much as I like beer, a bottle of Maker's or Stranahans will warm my spirits well ;)

mmmm Stanahan's is definitely some quality whiskey!

CaptGoodvibes
Sat Dec 24th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I don't mean to sound like I don't like Scotch. I love it! But I also enjoy the char of a good American whiskey from time to time.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I don't mean to sound like I don't like Scotch. I love it! But I also enjoy the char of a good American whiskey from time to time.
Scotch is for girly-men who wear short dresses. 'Nuf said....... :)

salsashark
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Scotch is for girly-men who wear short dresses. 'Nuf said....... :)

You ride a Suzuki. You're argument is invalid as you have proven you have no taste.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 05:35 PM
You ride a Suzuki. You're argument is invalid as you have proven you have no taste.
Hah! I gotta say, mine's carried me 58k+ miles and nothing but a very few minor wear items got in the way.

But, honestly, I've never understood filtering perfectly good whisky note the spelling) thru burnt swamp dirt as opposed to good ole charcoal. I've had a couple of the highlands scotches that are ok (unlike that peaty swamp-bog-tasting shit), but still never had a scotch that I liked anywhere near as much as a good bourbon or other American whiskey or Kanadian blend. My lawyer friends all seems to prefer that scotch stuff, though I don't know if it isn't just the "perceived" cachet of it all......

I do know this blackberry stuff is pretty tasty, I've finished off most of the bottle by myself already...... :)

Sleev
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 06:13 PM
That blueberry whiskey was too sweet for me. That is all.

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I have a bottle of Laphroaig I've been trying to get through for about 4 years. Yuck.

COLOUR : Full sparkling gold
NOSE: Huge smoke, seaweedy, "medicinal", with a hint of sweetness
BODY: Full bodied
PALATE: Suprising sweetness with hints of salt and layers of peatiness
FINISH: Lingering

http://www.bourbonblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/laphroaig_10_year.jpg

salsashark
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Hah! I gotta say, mine's carried me 58k+ miles and nothing but a very few minor wear items got in the way.

But, honestly, I've never understood filtering perfectly good whisky note the spelling) thru burnt swamp dirt as opposed to good ole charcoal. I've had a couple of the highlands scotches that are ok (unlike that peaty swamp-bog-tasting shit), but still never had a scotch that I liked anywhere near as much as a good bourbon or other American whiskey or Kanadian blend. My lawyer friends all seems to prefer that scotch stuff, though I don't know if it isn't just the "perceived" cachet of it all......

I do know this blackberry stuff is pretty tasty, I've finished off most of the bottle by myself already...... :)

FYI - scotch whisky is not filtered through peat. The peat is used to fire the kilns that dry the barley. Some distilleries use more, some less... depends on the region and availability. Once the whisky's been distilled, there's no need to filter it. It's time to age to perfection.

Personally, I wouldn't drink a lowland scotch. Rain falls onto the mountains, then runs down hill giving every animal and Angus the opportunity to defile it. Through swamps and century old septic tanks... no thanks. Get the water from a source as close to the heavens as possible!

As for American whiskey. I know there are some good ones, but more often than not, good old 'merican ingenuity has has sacrificed quality for quantity. Hence the need to shoot it or mix it with coke.

If I were going to drink American - Knob Creek, Woodford or Stranahans... keep the mixers for the high schoolers.

I have a bottle of Laphroaig I've been trying to get through for about 4 years. Yuck.

Don't blame you... not a fan of Islays myself. To much iodine and salt flavor for me.

Unless you love the extremes and know exactly what you want, stay away from the outliers...

http://www.malts.com/var/plain_site/storage/images/choosing-whisky/a-world-of-flavour/the-single-malt-whisky-flavour-map/a-guide-to-flavours/125896-16-eng-ROW/A-Guide-to-Flavours.png

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Macallan doesn't last very long on my shelf.

jrhurt
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 09:22 AM

Bourbons, and I believe most american/canadian whisky's (other than Tennesee whisky's like Jack), aren't charcoal filtered either. They only get smoother with age. Jack is charcoal filtered, which makes it pretty smooth for its age (and cost) and adds to its popularity. It also gives it a pretty unique flavor from typical bourbons (think bananas next time you drink it).

I am a bourbon collector and stick mainly to those just to narrow down the field, but all whisky's have their strong points. One thing I love about bourbon is that price isn't the best measure of taste. My favorite bourbon is under 30 bucks a bottle.

Although I don't drink many scotches, a cool difference I like with them is the barrell aging. Bourbons are aged in new barrells. Scotch gets alot of flavor from using old barrels that may have been used for sherry or other whisky's previously. Due to a typically longer aging process, scotch is more expensive to get into also. With bourbon, you can try most of the young stuff for cheap and then buy the longer aged versions if you like it. With scotch, many of the brands don't have that cheaper option to try.

mmmm whisky

Sleev
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I dont care for the peated scotches either. I mostly stick to irish whiskey. Bushmills 10yr, jameson, paddys...

That chart's pretty rad. Might have to get a poster of that.

salsashark
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I dont care for the peated scotches either. I mostly stick to irish whiskey. Bushmills 10yr, jameson, paddys...

That chart's pretty rad. Might have to get a poster of that.

Jameson's my NYE drink of choice... well, that guinness and baileys :lol:

Anyways, they may have one - www.malts.com

Jmetz
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I'm more of a beer guy. If you get the chance I highly recommend picking up a bottle of Great Divide Barrel Aged Yeti. It's their imperial stout aged in Stranahans whiskey barrels. They only brew it once a year, and I'm pretty sure I just picked up the last bottle in the state, but it's sooo good. Also of similar note is Full Sail Black Gold if you can find it. Also an imperial stout, and aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 01:16 PM
For American, Wild Turkey 1855 12 yr old if I remember and barrel-proof at 101-114 proof. Very tasty and smooth for as strong as it is. available only at dut-free shops and long discontinued. I also like Knob Creek, Gentleman Jack, and another small batch I forgot the name of.

For Kanadian, Crown, V.O., the 8 yr-old V.O., Canadian Club 12 Y.O., and my favorite, Canadian Club Sherry Cask.

For Irish, I like Bushmills over Jamesons.

For Scotch......I'd rather drink Sterno...... :)