PDA

View Full Version : Why do you ride what you ride?

Ghost
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 01:27 PM
It's winter, many of our bikes are penned in the garage with a sheet of ice for a driveway, yet we're all still thinking of riding our bikes--and that got me wondering, why did everyone pick the bike they've got?

Why choose Your Bike over the hundreds of choices out there? Was it all you ever wanted? Was it all you could find or afford? Is it your "keeper" or just another bike in a string of one-season affairs?

asp_125
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Never found a "keeper" yet. There's always another "oooh shiny!" coming along to tempt us. And then there are those of us who need a stable, because no ONE bike can do all the kinds of riding we like to go. My latest affair is the Thruxton because I've always lusted after a cool cafe bike.

My keepers (might be): Yamaha RZ350, Norton Commando or Triton featherbed, Honda RC30, and no, I haven't found one (or been able to afford one) yet.

Then again, how many bikes is the ideal number? One? three? as many as will fit a two car garage?

Bueller
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Which one? :lol:

The only bikes I will likely hang onto for a long time will be my Buell XB9 and my KTM 300 exc.
Since these were repeat ownerships the have proven to be my favorites. The others have been task specific and are constantly being replaced.

Jmetz
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM
After test riding several other bikes, the Duc put a smile on my face that wouldn't come off. I couldn't stop gushing about how much fun it was to ride (ask my sister). And that was all she wrote.

Zach929rr
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I will ride my 929 and my drz until they explode or are crashed to pieces.

This is mainly because I am a cheap fuck.

~Barn~
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM
It was too incredible of a deal to not buy it.

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 01:58 PM
FZ-1

I've wanted one since about 2004. I love it and will probably ride it until it falls apart or parts are no longer available. Mine's a 2009. It's fast and comfortable for long days. It carries luggage well and looks sharp. I'm very pleased.

stubbicatt
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Been riding for many years now. BSA's, Nortons, Triumphs, Ural, Buell, Honda, Suzuki, Hardly Ablesons, Kawasaki, and now a Ducati.

In the old days the cafe racers had my eye, and I've always nursed a pretense towards performance machines.

I have wanted a Ducati each time I bought something else. Too expensive, too much maintenance, whatever the excuse. I bought my 1198 figuring I don't know how much longer I will be limber enough to enjoy the ride. Glad I did it.

Not quite ready for a "Road Sofa" yet, but getting closer.

Now if only I had the skill to really wring its lipstick red neck... :hibye:

LOL.

spdu4ia
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I wanted something "uniquish" but still reliable and fun to ride. the ER fit the description and was a great buy. It was way better tearing down a brand new bike because everything was so clean then building it back up I knew it would run like a champ.

That being said, there is always "lust" after other bikes :D

tecknojoe
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 02:17 PM
04 R6. It was my first bike 3 years ago and still performs exactly the way I want. A great middleweight for the track, fun on the twisties, reliable as fuck, and is popular enough to find parts for cheap

Oh, mainly because I can't afford to crash one of these on the track
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/xlarge/2010-KTM-RC8R-smackdown-street.jpg

salsashark
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Never found a "keeper" yet. There's always another "oooh shiny!" coming along to tempt us. And then there are those of us who need a stable, because no ONE bike can do all the kinds of riding we like to go. My latest affair is the Thruxton because I've always lusted after a cool cafe bike.

First off, I agree that there's always going to be another one out there.

10 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-q2Ey8trwiBM/Tjbfj9mYF2I/AAAAAAAAMgs/d9WEXxBf0_8/w393-h296-k/GGate.jpghttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AD37mdK4EAA/ThoN1TmqwJI/AAAAAAAAMZw/n8Q9XeRG-IA/w369-h276-k/IMG_0190.JPG

My current ride suites my riding style and has done everything I've asked of it and more. I've thrown it around on twisties, done daily commuting, long days of highway miles on road trips across the country and days off the pavement having fun on CO's fire roads.

The Multistrada is definitely a "jack of all trades - master of none" bike. As Jmetz mentioned, from the first demo ride I took on a Multi, I was hooked and feel fortunate to have stumbled across the deal I did.

Yeah, if I played and won powerball, I guarantee the toy box would be impressive. But for now, I've got one bike that does basically everything I need, and it does it will.

madvlad
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Cause it was a good deal and always wanted a R1 since I started riding, very happy with it.

grim
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Because the owner of the ninja was the only person in the world i could find that wanted to trade my 99 jeep Cherokee for is 05 ninja with a lot of customization. :D

Darth Do'Urden
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I'm a sucker for a naked bike. The raw form is more elegant to me than a bunch of expensive plastic that covers up all that mechanical wonder. As such, I've always loved how the Speed Triple presented the naked form. It's aggressive and sleek all at the same time, yet also fairly unique on the road, even among standards. And never mind that I was able to get one in immaculate condition for $3k. =)

I'd love to have my favorite of each type of bike. A tourer for long-haul trips. Dirt bike for the off-road adventuring. Cruiser for normal boring street commuting. But regardless, I'll always have a naked sport bike for the canyons.

DFab
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 02:51 PM
09 vfr800

Because it's good at everything I wanted it to do: commuting, 2up, touring, canyon carving

50sGrl
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 03:28 PM
09 Yamaha FZ6R, because it was between that and the Ninja 500 as a step up from the Ninja 250, and the Ninja 500 body position was too far forward for my comfort. It's a very reliable, forgiving bike for a rider on the more noob end of the rider experience spectrum, with a more upright position than many of the "sportier" bikes.

08 Yamaha XT250 because research showed it to be the only dual sport that would let me reach the ground. It's SO light and maneuverable, yet able to get up to moderate highway speeds if necessary, and so much fun!

I'm happy with and enjoy both (although after a test ride, I do lust a bit for a Bonneville T-100!).

Sean
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Because I can go almost anywhere, spin the back tire anytime, be totally comfortable, haul lots of gear, tower over small cars and crash it all day long! :twisted:

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/wp-content/uploads/2005/02/p1010200.jpg

Clovis
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 04:45 PM
07 FZ6 because that's the bike my wife wanted. The FZ was originally my wife's bike. I started riding it after I crashed my R1 and discovered that I enjoyed it a lot more then the R1. Faster in the turns and way more comfortable.

BC14
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I wanted a bike I could ride all day, have wind/weather protection, reliability, and then still be able to take the corners. The SV is my new 'toy' to toss around the canyons on shorter days.

Drano
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 06:06 PM
When I was nearly 16, a neighbor of mine put his 86 Silverwing up for sale for $500. I had dreams of buying that bike, stripping off the all the plastic, and having a bike to ride. I never did buy the bike, and life moved on, and time slipped away. This year, at the age of 33, I finally bought my first bike. I bought my bike because I wanted to ride, and tried to be sensible with my first purchase. I love my SV, when I go into the garage and get into my truck, I still look over and get that chill when I see it sitting there. Even though I nearly killed myself riding it this fall, I can't wait to ride it again, and again.

Matty
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 06:42 PM
<~~~~ Hooligan.

Hooligan Bikes:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/housegroover/260515_10150210241766583_579796582_7717539_5585895 _n.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/housegroover/cf4.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/housegroover/cc083cf1.jpg

rfranks303
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 06:46 PM
all I could afford and now I cant bring my self to part with it.

Cornfed
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 07:00 PM
This is my 3rd liter bike and I love them. I owed a 675 Daytona, and even a Milwaukee VTwin between liter bikes and they both were just sort of blah. I missed the rush of the pavement exploding when you grab a handful of throttle. I want to be able to do 3 days weekend rides, rail the canyons and take off the mirrors and hit the track occasionally. The big GSXR does all of those things for me. I always turn off the key fantasizing about the next ride.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb390/cdavis981/gsxr1000-right-marchesini.jpg

Zanatos
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I got into riding back in 2001 when my wife bought me a Harley Sportster 883. This year, I decided to upgrade. I knew I wanted a sport touring bike because I like ride "spiritedly" for long distances, and good motorcycling roads tend to be twisty.

I did some research and looked at the BMW K-series (too pricey), the Honda ST1300 (too boring), and the Suzuki Concours 1400 (a little too tall for my 30" inseams). I ended up with a 2010 Yamaha FJR1300A (just right). It is very well engineered and has some great technology and cool gadgets (the push-button electronically-adjustable windscreen is my favorite), plus it was within my budget. And I can turn it into an over-sized sport bike by taking off the hard cases.

asp_125
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I need several bikes... my dream garage would have:

- 250 dual sport/MX for lightness and easy to pick up in the dirt and trails.
- canyon carver
- sport touring mount with luggage and range
- supermoto hooligan bike
- track bike
- classic cafe racer
- adventure bike, big enough to tour cross country and somewhat dirt capable.

Did I miss anything? :D

rfranks303
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I need several bikes... my dream garage would have:

- 250 dual sport/MX for lightness and easy to pick up in the dirt and trails.
- canyon carver
- sport touring mount with luggage and range
- supermoto hooligan bike
- track bike
- classic cafe racer
- adventure bike, big enough to tour cross country and somewhat dirt capable.

Did I miss anything? :D
A trike with an automatic trans and hand brakes. Just in case you break a leg.

asp_125
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 07:49 PM
A trike with an automatic trans and hand brakes. Just in case you break a leg.again
fixored.

Got that handled: Can Am Spyder

Actually, if I did again... Ann's tying me down to the bed.. permanently.

50sGrl
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 07:51 PM
:applause:

King Nothing
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I can't afford what I want so I settle for what I can get.

rfranks303
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 07:57 PM
fixored.

Actually, if I did again... Ann's tying me down to the bed.. permanently.

That does not sound like a bad alternative to riding.:hump:
If I didn't make that joke someone would have.

salsashark
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I can't afford what I want so I settle for what I can get.

If you'd break the lego habit...

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I only think about getting a different bike when I haven't been on mine for a prolonged period - like 2 weeks or more. But then I get back on mine and realize how muscular and awesome it is.

biikChiQ
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I'm a sucker for a naked bike. The raw form is more elegant to me than a bunch of expensive plastic that covers up all that mechanical wonder.
+1

Haven’t found a keeper yet.
Streetfighter style, something like the b-king.

vort3xr6
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I really like the DRZ but I will have another early model R1. My favorite bike of all time.

thatmofo
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 10:06 PM
It was the fastest stock bike I could afford

FZRguy
Tue Dec 27th, 2011, 10:50 PM
A man needs more than one motorcycle. I like all three of mine, but 15 would be an ideal number for me. If I had the $$, I'd buy a new Street Triple R and a Husky TE310.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I have a basically bone-stock '01 Gixxer 1K with over 58k hard miles, and it still runs awesome and gets 45-52mpg. I bought it new to complement my old '86 Gixxer 1100 that I bought new as well. Why? Because, at the time and for years afterwards, they were the mose awesome sportbikes on the showroom floor. No, it wasn't ego-driven for the most part, I just wanted the best to grow and learn from them. Lightness was my key consideration and both, at the time, were WAY lightere than anything else. I sadly had to sell the Olde '86 before crazy X2 forced me into bankruptcy, and am keeping the '01 because it's by far the best bike I've ever pwned. It's comfortable enough for me to do 700+ mile days and yet fast and agile enough in the canyons to keep me happy. It hauls a passenger up long mountain uphills easily, and still gets good mpg. No reason to get rid of it.

For a second bike, I want something completely different like a KTM 990 Adventure (or maybe Multistrada) to go off the beaten path yet still be able to easily/comfortably do long rides at freeway speeds. But, if I can never afford those, maybe a 'Zuki 1k V-Strom with all new suspension and some engine tweaks.

For a third bike, I'd like a dedicated 1k track bike. but that's strictly wishful thinking.....

KazeXenami
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 01:52 PM
'11 Yamaha FZ8

New Rider,

Wanted something that will last me a while, so it needed some decent cc's but nothing insane as it was to be my first street bike.
Always liked the naked look on bikes, I like to see what makes it tick and not hide everything under a plastic shell.
Given I've had chronic back problems these past 10 years, I could not go for a full crotch rocket where you're strained over the gas tank, so I needed something that sat a little more upright.
The seat was tapered a bit better that a FZ1 so it didn't feel like it was going to pop my legs out of socket.

JonnyD
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 02:26 PM
RC51

Because I need to give my chiropractor more $, because it's not even close to a "fuel efficient" bike, because it's an overkilled Superhawk, because it's the sensible alternative, because it's more $ than I wanted to spend....

Ah hell. It's rediculously fun to ride! Do I need more of an excuse?

Nooch
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Im a big fan of Kawasaki bikes, and intended to buy one the day I picked up my Yamaha. But it turned out that the bike I wanted was used and the bank wouldn't finance me on it because it was "bad collateral". I always wanted to try a Yamaha but couldn't get past the fact that I really prefer Kawis up until then. And there was an element of impatience in play as well because it was getting late in the season and I wanted to get back on 2 wheels.

As far as why I prefer sportbikes, its mostly an age thing I think. At 30 years old, I already feel myself getting more interested in sport tourers. I know Im going to eventually move past sportbikes but for now I want to continue carving the canyons properly and one day I want to get a knee down (preferrably on a track) and I dont think bringing a FJR or something to the track is going to help me achieve that goal. So for now, sportbikes are it!

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 03:23 PM
The VFR - because it's good enough at everything from canyons to cross country

The DR650 - because it does the only thing the VFR isn't good enough at

aerofaze
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I've ridden 21k+ miles in the last 2.5 years on my '09 Duc Monster 696 for several reasons. Quick background info: first-time rider, first bike, female at 5'2".

A brand new Ducati was NOT my first choice as a first bike (and family and friends were so judgmental when they found out what I was up to, sheesh :no:), until I learned the following:

It isn't powerfully scary, but it zooms when I want it to
Lightweight and doesn't feel overwhelming for this li'l chica at 360 lbs dry (the bike, that is)
Clutch lever is buttery soft, perfect for in-town
30.3" stock seat height fits great with my short legs
I like the look of European nudists
Love. Its. SOUND.
Surprisingly affordable
Comfortable on long trips, and tons of fun to toss around in the twisties
Instant piece of conversation with complete strangers in random locations (this was a benefit I realized after a few months of ownership)

Radek
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 05:20 PM
i ride mine P.O.S because of my bad credit. If my credit was good I would be riding best i could afford. Maybe bike made in Mexico ,lol

jamieness08busa
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Always been a suzuki guy. Started with an 86 GSXR 750 back in 86. Now ride an 11 Busa. Love the pearl white, plenty of power, good in the canyons and all the comfort I need.

Captain Obvious
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 08:43 PM
98 GSXR750 and 02TL1000R. I love the bikes, and would sell, but no one would be willing to pay what they are worth to me.

FZRguy
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 09:25 PM
98 GSXR750 and 02TL1000R. I love the bikes, and would sell, but no one would be willing to pay what they are worth to me.

Same for all three of my bikes. I have too much $$ in them to sell.

BushyAR15
Wed Dec 28th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I am terrible at keeping a bike "long-term". The longest I've kept a bike was two years. I've owned many bikes that I wish I still owned today but mostly for financial reasons I don't own them anymore.

Since I started riding in '84 I've owned over 30 different motorcycles.

My current rides are; 2005 Ducati Multistrada; I like it cause of all the things that it can do. Its also very comfortable. I wish I could still ride a sportbike, but my neck hurts too much. In my mind I tell myself its a "keeper"!

Then there is my 2012 Ducati Diavel. I wanted something current and fast. Yet another bike I tell myself is a keeper...

I said that with my '98 TL1000R, 2004 Ducati S4R, Harley V-Rod, Harley Cross-bones, Aprilia Dorsoduro...

Bikes I wish I still had today would have to be my '85 RZ500, '85 RZ350, 92 or '94 TZ250....

Husky
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I never learned how to turn left or right so this bike works for me

burnn88
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 02:53 PM
it was an insane deal that i couldnt pass up

Bashed
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I built my most recent bike to take me to the places in Mexico I want to see. It is a stripped down WeeStrom with way better suspension. This way I can pretty much go where ever I want, whether it be pavement or so goat path in the bottom of Copper Canyon. It is the best compromise I came up within my budget.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q292/bashterd/Sacramento%20Lookouts/Day%20Trippin/PhonePics2008.jpg

I still love hitting the canyon on the sportbike and running singletrack on the dirtbike. I agree to one of the previous replys saying more than 1 bike is needed.

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I built my most recent bike to take me to the places in Mexico I want to see. It is a stripped down WeeStrom with way better suspension. This way I can pretty much go where ever I want, whether it be pavement or so goat path in the bottom of Copper Canyon. It is the best compromise I came up within my budget.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q292/bashterd/Sacramento%20Lookouts/Day%20Trippin/PhonePics2008.jpg

I still love hitting the canyon on the sportbike and running singletrack on the dirtbike. I agree to one of the previous replys saying more than 1 bike is needed.

Nice bike! Can you post the mods you did including added parts?