PDA

View Full Version : New Phones

modette99
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Ordered a Droid 3 last night and a Casio G'Zone Commando

For a heads up Amazonwireless (http://wireless.amazon.com) had the best prices on all the phones. Verizon store wanted $199 for two year contract for the Droid 3, through Amazon it was $19.99. The G'Zone they wanted wanted $179, it was $79 through Amazon.

Pretty easy process, downside we had to do each phone separate..not hard just a little extra time needed. They connect with Verizon and check your account, and we still get to keep the whole Unlimited Data plan (Grandfathered in). Plus the contract buyout was cheaper too then through Verizon.

I highly recommend.

Edited to say:
Shipping is also FREE and 2-days. So probably get the phones Friday if not Saturday. Good part is low hassle vs. the Verizon store at least the one on North Academy in Springs. yeah, they have working phones you can play with but the wait time is long, sales staff know as much as I do so I don't see what help they are. My Monument store on Jackson Creek Parkway is silly, just dumby phones which doe snot make me want to buy anything.

Why would someone steal a phone, it can be tracked, it can be deactivated, so its only maybe good for basic parts!!! More locations should have working phones.

Another good thing, they do AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile besides Verizon (not sure on the phone prices through those but yeah). We also get 20% off for work discount so that helps a little.

RajunCajun
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Ordered a Droid 3 last night and a Casio G'Zone Commando

For a heads up Amazonwireless had the best prices on all the phones. Verizons tore wanted $199 for two year contract for the Droid 3, through Amazon it was $19.99. The G'Zone they Verizon wanted $179, it was $79 through Amazon.

Pretty easy process, downside we had to do each phone separate..not hard just a little extra time needed. They conenct with Verizon and check your account, and we still get to keep the whole Unlimited Data plan (Grandfathered in). Plus the contract buyout was cheaper too then through Verizon.

I highly recommend.

Dam, that's good to know. I have a little over a year with ATT but will most likely leave them for Verizon.

Dietrich_R1
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I have been w/ Verizon for 15-20 years, minus a 3 month stint. Where can you purchase phones on the cheap w/ out a contract? Much like marriage, I just can't do the commitment thang w/ a provider!!!!! I have found either you don't pay for it up front, & then pay for it on the back end... Again, much like marriage!!

TransNone13
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 07:49 PM
You can do that with ATT, just buy your own unlocked phone. I recently bought the Sony Ericsson Xperia Active. It's awesome because it's shock, water, and dust proof. The only Android phone I'm aware of :) (GSM).

spdu4ia
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Let me know what you think about the Sony Active. I've wanted the camando but can't get it with ATT.

TransNone13
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Dude, it's awesome... Very happy, a little buggy as with all brand new stuff. It's not even available here yet, had to drop ship from Hong Kong. Looked sketchy but gadgetpoint.com actually got me my phone quick and pretty cheap. Smaller than I thought, which isn't bad I guess. Also, the phone is much faster on wi-fi and HSDPA than my Google Nexus S. The radios and/or the antennae must be better? Battery life kind of sucks, but there are replacement batteries with more than twice the capacity for $10 on ebay. I ordered a couple.

If you like I can snag some photos for size and awesomeness reference. :p

spdu4ia
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 08:43 PM
definetly, thanks. i destroyed my screen mountain biking and want something beefier.

sloridr
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 08:54 PM
The casio cammando still has a touch screen that will shatter like any other smart phone. I have one and its an ok phone but not my favorite.

TransNone13
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah, screens are screens... Anyway, the best part? The screen works with water on it, MONEY!

Comparing with nexus S.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JiWdpJxpvTM/Tv02ZGAHruI/AAAAAAAABl4/b0w2bbXRcvo/s800/PC300118.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wMkd6nx1CJ4/Tv02YdUICPI/AAAAAAAABlg/Ya51IqZ49WQ/s800/PC300117.JPG[img]

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-fNwnSH-QDwo/Tv02WDLnTRI/AAAAAAAABk0/YgfYLTdvb1Q/s800/PC300116.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-crxK72s593A/Tv02VH_JTaI/AAAAAAAABkg/vmP7O8ghCb4/s800/PC300115.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LDa3BihYeIM/Tv02VMT8k1I/AAAAAAAABks/uxgVfClU3no/s800/PC300114.JPG

Clovis
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Get an Otterbox defender if you want a bulletproof phone case. They're also a Colorado company which is a plus.

I didn't like Verizon personally. We had them for 3 years before switching to ATT for the iPhone. VerIzon nickels and dimes you for everything and don't buy their hype about coverage. Go into the mountains and your SOL. I usually have service with AT&T. I had coverage through the mountains and desert of New Mexico on my Taos trip.

AT&T automaticity upgrading your data plan to a $45/mo one for tethering is complete bullshit though. I think Verizon does the same thing.

TransNone13
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 09:03 PM
The otterbox cases are legit, I dropped an iPhone 3GS at 80mph from a bike. I also happened to leave it in the median overnight. Nothing was damaged when I went back and found it lol. And if you get an unlocked phone, you can get away with tethering...

modette99
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Clovis - I could say the same about AT&T, sometimes I have service in the mountains and the bro does not; sometimes he does and I do not. *shrug* Also different phones have different signal strengths....most people fail to compare same model of phones when they claim a provider stinks.

Point is, if there is no tower near there is no tower...I don't blame the provider it will never be that 100% of the USA will be covered.

If I am that worried about emergencies in the mountains I would get a SPOT. Relying on any cell provider is nuts.

I know I can get in my vehicle, plug the phone into the stereo turn on Pandora and drive to Denver and stream Radio...it also worked for the most part back from Breckenridge last weekend...a few areas it cut out (East of Hartsel) but it worked better then I thought.

modette99
Thu Dec 29th, 2011, 10:41 PM
The otterbox cases are legit, I dropped an iPhone 3GS at 80mph from a bike. I also happened to leave it in the median overnight. Nothing was damaged when I went back and found it lol. And if you get an unlocked phone, you can get away with tethering...

Just use Super Oneclick to root the phone...and then tether away...LOL

DRKATO1
Fri Dec 30th, 2011, 04:36 AM
I rooted my phone about 3 months ago and have been tethering since then.
AT&T started sending me text's 4 days ago that I must stop or purchase there tether plan.

bodhizafa
Fri Dec 30th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I rooted my phone about 3 months ago and have been tethering since then.
AT&T started sending me text's 4 days ago that I must stop or purchase there tether plan.

I"m looking to do the same thing. Just ordered a Samsung Galaxy Note and was hoping to root it then use it to tether. Didn't realize they could still tell that your using it to tether, that sucks.

TransNone13
Fri Dec 30th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I"m looking to do the same thing. Just ordered a Samsung Galaxy Note and was hoping to root it then use it to tether. Didn't realize they could still tell that your using it to tether, that sucks.

From my experience with the unlocked Android phones, these come with tethering without having to root them, this masks the tethering as data traffic and I've never recieved a notice...

Mother Goose
Fri Dec 30th, 2011, 08:27 AM
From my experience with the unlocked Android phones, these come with tethering without having to root them, this masks the tethering as data traffic and I've never recieved a notice...
I believe it comes with tethering, but you have to pay for it through AT&T or whatever provider you have. I'm still new to Android, so don't quote me on that.

I've had an LG Thrill (AT&T's 3D phone) for about a month and a half and I'm returning it for the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket. The Thrill is fun for the 3D stuff, but the phone is so buggy that it's not worth it. LG & AT&T have been giving people the run around on when it will be updated with Gingerbread (it's still running Froyo). The UK version of the phone has been updated, but they won't release it for the US. The update is supposed to fix the issues people with the phone have been having.

DRKATO1
Fri Dec 30th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I think AT&T is just trying o kick me out of my unlimited data plan.

Transnone13 what kind of data plan do you have?

TransNone13
Fri Dec 30th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I think AT&T is just trying o kick me out of my unlimited data plan.

Transnone13 what kind of data plan do you have?

Grandfathered under the unlimited. Also unsubsidized phone don't have carrier iq and don't try usage. They also don't have an altered version of android by the carrier.

bodhizafa
Fri Dec 30th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Do you think ATT will give me a hard time about changing out my SIM card? I need to change from a micro SIM to reg SIM (I've been hearing about issues with using a SIM adapter with the Note).

TransNone13
Fri Dec 30th, 2011, 12:19 PM
They shouldn't.

TransNone13
Fri Dec 30th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Oh, wanted to add. These work only with Sony Ericsson phones (I think) and for those of you who are are worried about breaking the screen, check these out:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/wp-content/gallery/liveview/LiveView-see-..product-2.jpeg

I bought one, and it lets me do many of the functions on my phone remotely... sick huh? Comes with clip and wrist strap for the device.

Sony Ericsson Liveview ($40-$50)
http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/accessories/overview/liveviewmicrodisplay?cc=gb&lc=en#layerid=liveview

bodhizafa
Fri Dec 30th, 2011, 10:38 PM
They shouldn't.

Went smooth, they were actually really cool and set everything up for me. They don't have the Galaxy Note yet and wanted to check it out.

TransNone13
Fri Dec 30th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Yeah, they wouldn't help me. And I didn't really need it. I had to find out all the APN MMS and BS settings for my Xperia Active. But that's why Al Gore invented the intertubes.