PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Temperature Thread

Joe
Mon Jan 2nd, 2012, 08:10 PM
In the spirit of the "Mileage Thread" and with inspiration from Dm-Gsxr, I propose a Temperature Thread.

The first rule that I can think of is that you take a picture of a bank's thermometer with your bike in the frame. I was thinking that you had to have someone else take the pic with you in it, but if you have a S.O. that is willing to get on the back of your bike in sub-zero temps, then we need to start a new thread titled "My S.O. Is So Far Superior To Yours." So I think we will have to be satisfied with a lonely pic of the bike. (and the drifts of snow... and an occasional caribou)

I know that this doesn't enforce Carl's "30 minute ride" (which I will now use as my personal benchmark). But it definitely shows that you took the effort to put on ALL the dam clothes and brave the elements. Come to think of it, I have no idea where my nearest thermometer is, so it may end up being a 30 min ride. (it's even longer when I have to pick up my bike over and over)

If anybody else thinks of a clever way to measure success, lemme know.

For Rule #2, I propose that we ban Snowman from this competition, or at most give him an honorable mention. Of course, there probably aren't too many WellsFargos down there with signs advertising -40F.

grim
Mon Jan 2nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Awesome idea now that the bike is back together count me in.

I think the banks thermometer is the best idea. I can't think of any other way to prove the temperatures you are riding in.

cbrjohnny
Mon Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:11 PM
haha! a little motovation and some warm layers i will crush this thread!

BC14
Mon Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:18 PM
haha! a little motovation and some warm layers i will crush this thread!
I bet, esp with where you live, lol.

stubbicatt
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:08 AM
What if your bike has a dashboard thermometer? Does that count?>

Clovis
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:27 AM
my in dash thermometer always reads 15 to 17 warmer then actual. It measures air intake temp, not outside temp so presumably it's the same on other bikes.

spdu4ia
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:36 AM
The air temp sensor on my old Aprilia was spot on.

grim
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 07:10 AM
What if your bike has a dashboard thermometer? Does that count?>

How would you prove that you didn't just leave your bike outside turn the key then take a shot of the dashboard?

With a bank thermometer it proves you actually went riding even if it was just to get to it.

Joe
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 07:13 AM
I agree with the other comments about the dash thermo...
They are inaccurate and only prove that you pushed your bike out into the driveway.
(or worse, that your bike was stored outside in that temp) [ninja'd]

I did remember an elementary school that's 12 minutes away from my place (or 20 min in a blizzard) with a thermometer, so now I'm ready.

Do we need to have two prizes (bragging rights) to cover in-state and out-of-state contestants?

grim
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 07:19 AM
Comfort dental off of Hampden and Yosemite has a thermometer ill get a shot tomorrow to test how well the iphone will get the bike and the sign in the dark since the sun is not up when i ride to work.

grim
Wed Jan 25th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Not sure if anyone is going to participate in this but his morning was 22 degrees for me one my way into Denver unfortunately time ran short and i was unable to take stop and take a picture.

McVaaahhh
Wed Jan 25th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Cold or hot? I could probably get a pic in front of a building reading +115 or so. :cold:

grim
Wed Jan 25th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Cold or hot? I could probably get a pic in front of a building reading +115 or so. :cold:

Me thinks the goal is cold i could get a shot of my bike in my shop oven at 500+

Wrider
Wed Jan 25th, 2012, 08:06 AM
22? Psh...
My weather app reads from the airport, which is about half a mile as the crow flies from my work, and 2 miles from my home. When I left work at 7:30 this morning it was 16 degrees, and my bike was covered in frost...

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab49/Wrider/Bikes/2012-01-25074504.jpg

At least you know I'm warm-blooded.
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab49/Wrider/Bikes/2012-01-25074514.jpg

And my first bike years ago, I came out on break from work to discover snow on it.
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab49/Wrider/Bikes/BikeinSnow1.jpg

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab49/Wrider/Bikes/BikeinSnow2.jpg

grim
Wed Jan 25th, 2012, 08:08 AM
22? Psh...
My weather app reads from the airport, which is about half a mile as the crow flies from my work, and 2 miles from my home. When I left work at 7:30 this morning it was 16 degrees, and my bike was covered in frost... Pictures coming soon.

22 standing still while doing 70mph on I-25 im sure its colder 22 is what i read on the hurricane drain sign at I-25 and sante fe.

Wrider
Wed Jan 25th, 2012, 08:32 AM
22 standing still while doing 70mph on I-25 im sure its colder 22 is what i read on the hurricane drain sign at I-25 and sante fe.

Lol oh I know trust me, I was just giving you a hard time. My personal record is riding at 0 for a half hour through town with some Interstate thrown in... Won't do that again without proper gear!

daurayl
Mon May 14th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Theres a thermometer off of 84th and i-25, wish i would have been on this site about the middle of Jan. One day I rode to work it said 3... Cold ride, when i got to work it took almost a half hour for me to warm up...

kalibra
Wed May 16th, 2012, 07:12 AM
If heat counts...I will win.We have seen 90+ (plus humidity ) quite a bit already this year....serves me well for moving to Dallas,Tx.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
If I can help it, I won't ride below 40deg F. Far too much chance of frost, or other frozen moisture on the road. I rode to work one cold morning 20+ years ago, was doing over 100 when the back tire started to spin up and step out slightly. Luckily it was on a long straight, and I was able to just keep it straight until I got past the frost that I didn't even see in the sunlight. I'll pass on that shit, thanks....

On the other side of that, I've ridden in close to 120deg F weather in the SoCal desert every year from '82-'91.

CaneZach
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 01:08 PM
The coldest I can tolerate was 13º. Even at that temp, I was far too bundled up to enjoy the ride.

Kado
Wed Aug 22nd, 2012, 01:00 AM
My bike is my only set of wheels. Hopefully this winter is mild... :(

Wrider
Wed Aug 22nd, 2012, 06:57 AM
My bike is my only set of wheels. Hopefully this winter is mild... :(

Did that from January til the end of July.
You may want to invest in some heated gear or a vehicle. Judging by how the squirrels and other animals are preparing, I'm prepping for a cold-as-hell winter.

grim
Tue Sep 18th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Temp when i left the house in Parker this morning was 43 degrees + wind chill = 32 degrees.

Its been cooling down an awful lot at night I think Wrider is right it may be a very cold shitty winter coming.

kawasakirob
Mon Nov 26th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Heres one from a few years ago up near Leadville on my old 9(RIP) Not sure what the temp was...but it was damn cold. cold enough to not let the ice melt or the snow melt. I was riding to Black Mesa S.P. going through Angel Fire and onward to OKC. There were winter storms around so I had to change my route but still encountered snow. My Winter MSR riding gloves still could not protect my fingers from the cold and I had a hard time taking this photo hahaha. Top 5 coldest rides I've ever done on a bike. I rode around 200mi in below freezing temps and when the weather hit in the 50's...it felt like summer.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9emLnld6cgM/ULPuMtotcfI/AAAAAAAAAEY/0P5Ua6wyc64/s640/ZX9+Leadville.JPG

mdub
Mon Nov 26th, 2012, 04:11 PM
geeeessshh.....i like to ride. . not like that....

but yes. a ride like that will be forever etch in your head...

TFOGGuys
Mon Nov 26th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I had to scrape the ice off of my faceshield this morning, but never bothered to take a pic. 27 Degrees on the sign at the camper place at I-70 and Kipling when I went by. I was on the XT350, so no heated gear.

The coldest I can remember riding to work is 13 degrees (28 miles one way), but that's with heated gloves on the FZ1...

kawasakirob
Mon Nov 26th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I bet you did. I walked out and there was ice all over my car. It took awhile to heat up so it would melt.

Another trip I went on was in late October 2008 and I was once again on the old ZX9 (RIP). I had made plans a few days prior to meet my good riding buddy in Lusk, Wyoming and ride back to Winter Park the next day. He was riding back from Minnesota and Lusk was a good halfway point. The morning came and I got my clothes on and opened the door... to about 3in of snow with a good amount still coming down. I doubled up on the balaclava's and layered myself best as I could. The roads were ok with some good patches of slush scattered strategically in my path. About 10mi out I already had ice forming on my rain gear and I my balaclava's were starting to freeze from my snot and breath. I could not go more than 10mph in areas due to road conditions and that made the pain that much worse. Stopping at every gas station along the way to unthaw and get called crazy, I left each one with a warm core filled with -on the house- coffee. The pain was close to unbearable and I started to notice myself not functioning properly. The ice and snow dangling from my helmet like giant ice sickles...But they were only snot sickles a few inches long. By the time I was halfway between Laramie and Wheatland, the snow had turned into a full on downpour, cold ass water penetrating my small unprotected areas and soaking me from the inside out. The rain never stopped til we returned the next day.
Top 5 coldest rides ever.