PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia SXV - what are your thoughts? Help!

tecknojoe
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
What do you think? My concern is putting 5k miles per year on a street bike, it might not last me very long.

What do you think of the maintenance? Is it true they overheat way too easy?

I love how they are higher power than a WR250, and I'm sure it'd be a blast on the track.

I can put cash in someone's hands if they let me take it around the block to get a feel for it. I'm about to buy either an sxv or something else but I really want to get a feel for it first.

Zach929rr
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
After you get one, do this:

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/images/Aprilia-SXV-Explorer.jpg

mdub
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
:headbang: that would really be an eye catcher.

brennahm
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
I know a guy selling an SXV that may or may not have won Pikes Peak. It also may or may not have the first PC-V for that bike ever installed on it. Lemme know. NOT much of a street bike. And comparing it to a WR250 is laughable.

tecknojoe
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
I know a guy selling an SXV that may or may not have won Pikes Peak. It also may or may not have the first PC-V for that bike ever installed on it. Lemme know. NOT much of a street bike. And comparing it to a WR250 is laughable.

Sounds like a built up kickass bike that wouldn't be great on street

the WR250 was a blast, but comparing anything to it is laughable :lol:

I've got a buddy in VA selling one at a great price.

Bueller
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:52 PM
My thoughts......I wouldn't pay $ for one, they look good but I wouldn't take on the maintenance and repair on one of those. A very slight maybe if it was dedicated track bike but never for street use.

Bueller
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
Oh and this is the first image that comes to mind.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/255749_10150210891364864_67249859863_7345763_74204 8_n.jpg

Cars-R-Coffins
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Purchased a 2007 new, put 2K+ miles on it, and sold it. My thoughts:

Pros:
* super fun in town and on tight, twisty roads
* light weight = fast braking
* light frontend = wheelie machine
* ergos allow you to back it in the turns all day long
* Aprilia parts not as easy to come by as Honda/Yamaha/Kawi/Suzuki parts
* everyone wants to ride it

Cons:
* high maintenance! (there are tricks to a proper oil change and if you don't do it right you could potential have serious engine problems)
* peg/grip vibration starts at about 70-75mph and doesn't get better as you go faster
* 70 mile tank range (if I recall correctly) really limits trips to some of the better roads in the area

I felt like it was a dedicated track bike that was made road legal to sell more units. I'd never buy another one, or another supermoto for that matter. I really missed my sportbike and couldn't afford to own both so I sold the SXV. I guess it just depends on what you plan on using it for. 5K/year? Sounds like quite a bit on the SXV I had.

Cars-R-Coffins
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
Oh and this is the first image that comes to mind.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/255749_10150210891364864_67249859863_7345763_74204 8_n.jpg
Ahh, a perfect example of my first CON listed. I wanted to get rid of mine before it sat in my garage looking like that.

pauliep
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
Purchased a 2007 new, put 2K+ miles on it, and sold it. My thoughts:

Pros:
* super fun in town and on tight, twisty roads
* light weight = fast braking
* light frontend = wheelie machine
* ergos allow you to back it in the turns all day long
* Aprilia parts not as easy to come by as Honda/Yamaha/Kawi/Suzuki parts

Cons:
* high maintenance! (there are tricks to a proper oil change and if you don't do it right you could potential have serious engine problems)
* peg/grip vibration starts at about 70-75mph and doesn't get better as you go faster
* 70 mile tank range (if I recall correctly) really limits trips to some of the better roads in the area

I felt like it was a dedicated track bike that was made road legal to sell more units. I'd never buy another one, or another supermoto for that matter. I really missed my sportbike and couldn't afford to own both so I sold the SXV. I guess it just depends on what you plan on using it for. 5K/year? Sounds like quite a bit on the SXV I had.

I was humoring myself with some research on these and I remember something about the 07 being a year to try to avoid.

Ghost
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
This really is a track bike, not a 5k/yr street bike. It was sold as a street bike but don't let that fool you. You'd be better off with just a DRZ 400SM if you really want to mile it out.

Cars-R-Coffins
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:51 PM
I was humoring myself with some research on these and I remember something about the 07 being a year to try to avoid.

Only because of a faulty seal that seperates the oil from the coolant. But ya, that's kind of an important seal. I think the orange seal is the bad one, black seal is good if you are buying a used bike.

Also, the '07's came with an "off-road only" title (but it did come from the factory with everything CO law requires- weird) so you have to make an appointment and get it inspected by someone from CSP. And I hear that process is getting harder to pass.

tecknojoe
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Yea seems like its just a little too off to be my only street bike. If i got a second street bike it would be sumo for sure, so i could go to imi and occasionally do a hooligan ride

pauliep
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Yea seems like its just a little too off to be my only street bike. If i got a second street bike it would be sumo for sure, so i could go to imi and occasionally do a hooligan ride

ahh, the drz family welcomes all.

Matty
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:15 PM
Check out the KTM 690 SMC... It's what I was originally going to get before I decided to go with the Hyper.

tecknojoe
Tue Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
Check out the KTM 690 SMC

Love what I read about them

If I got another sumo, I'd want something with moar power than the drz / wr250 this time

Joe
Wed Jan 4th, 2012, 05:56 AM
... and occasionally do a hooligan ride

With the DRZ, EVERY trip is a hooligan ride!

And I agree with everyone's opinion here of the SXV: Great Race Bike (when you have Eddie backing you up), but lousy commuter.

Graphite675
Wed Jan 4th, 2012, 08:10 AM
I was in the same postition a couple years ago and after much research I decided against the SXV. This really is a "race" bike and I would not use it for anything else. Maintanence is high, failure rate (of the earlier bikes at least) was very high, etc. etc. Not a daily driver thats for sure.

In the end I got a KTM 625 SMC.

Zach929rr
Wed Jan 4th, 2012, 09:06 AM
After having the DRZ for a year, I probably would prefer to have gotten a KTM sumo of some variety, somewhere between 525 and 690.

Although, I do love my dizzer.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jan 4th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'd love to have one, do it!