PDA

View Full Version : Well, well, looky here.......

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jan 9th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Wisconsin Reborn

The Democrats are keeping really quiet about this. Small wonder Obama stayed away from Wisconsin on his latest Campaign Tour. Wisconsin is the last place he wants to visit to talk about re-election. New Jersey is another state.

Remember the violent and disgusting demonstrations over Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s decision to do away with collective bargaining for Teachers unions? The results are in. Some school districts went from a $400,000 deficit to a $1,500,000 surplus as a result. They are even hiring new teachers, not firing like the Liberals said would happen. Why?

It seems that the insurance company that provided all the "so-called" benefits to the teachers was an insurance company owned and operated by the teacher's union. Since the outfit was guaranteed to get the insurance business from the teachers, and the State had to pay for it (not the teachers) the insurance company was increasing annual costs every single year to become the most expensive insurance company in the state. Then the company was donating millions and millions of dollars to its favorite democrat politicians who, when they got elected, guaranteed to keep funding the union's outrageous costs. In other words, the insurance company was a "pass through" for Wisconsin taxpayer money directly to the democrat politicians.

Nice racket… and this is the racket that is going on in other States that allows public sector collective bargaining. No wonder the States are taking it away. Now the State of Wisconsin is free to put the insurance contract out for bids and, lo and behold, they have saved so much money it has turned deficits into surplus amounts. As a result, none of the teachers had to be laid off, everyone got a raise, etc., etc., and the taxpayers of Wisconsin don't have to pay more taxes to fund the union's political ambitions.

If you weren't aware of the reasons Gov. Walker was fighting to take away collective bargaining, it gives you an idea of the problem the Republican Party has. Outside of one or two, none of them know how to speak up and explain properly what the problem was. We could sure use a Ronald Reagan now, someone who could explain things for people to understand, since we know that people don't like to read anymore.

Here is the article:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2011/07/wisconsin-schools-buck-union-cut-health-costs (http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2011/07/wisconsin-schools-buck-union-cut-health-costs)

PLEASE BE SURE TO SEND THIS ONWARDS! IT’S THE ONLY CHANCE OF STOPPING THIS CORRUPTION…
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”

-Thomas Jefferson

Zanatos
Mon Jan 9th, 2012, 07:32 PM
As a new teacher, I am still trying to decide whether or not to join the union.

I don't really care about collective bargaining, but if someone decides to sue me I will be on my own unless I am a union member.

Having affordable legal representation is a big factor to consider. Lawyers are expensive, and a civil suit could easily bankrupt just about any teacher.

Clovis
Mon Jan 9th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Call me ignorant but why would you get sued as a teacher? Or do you mean sued in general?

Filo
Mon Jan 9th, 2012, 08:15 PM
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”

-Thomas Jefferson

Really? TJ had a comma splice in one of his quotes?

As for campaigning there - many campaigns from both sides of the aisle chose not to campaign in places they think are unwinnable. Add in only 10 electoral votes and it is a pretty good strategy. You only need to win by the minimum - not a landslide...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Hey Filo, I think your participle is dangling.... :)

Titus
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 11:29 AM
As a new teacher, I am still trying to decide whether or not to join the union.

I don't really care about collective bargaining, but if someone decides to sue me I will be on my own unless I am a union member.

Having affordable legal representation is a big factor to consider. Lawyers are expensive, and a civil suit could easily bankrupt just about any teacher.

In Colorado I thought you had to join the teacher's union, however you can opt out of the dues used to fund political donations.

Zanatos
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Parents love to sue schools and teachers for any reason they can find. For example, students with special needs have individualized education plans (IEPs). If a teacher accidentally forgets to follow a part of a student's IEP, he or she can be sued for violating the No Child Left Behind law.

Did you hear about the girl in Durango suing the school because they won't put a slutty photo of her in the yearbook?

Last time I checked schools and yearbook staffs had the authority to decide what is appropriate and inappropriate in yearbooks. But still - the school (and probably teachers who are on the yearbook staff) are getting sued and have to defend their decision in court.

What a great place to be a teacher. Everyone hates you and wants to sue you. And everyone thinks Chinese schools are "better" because China only educates the top 25%.

rforsythe
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 10:04 PM
My wife is in the teacher's union, and while the dues are annoying, the union does protect her. It's been useful to have that advocacy at times. I think some union BS is just that, but they occasionally serve a purpose.

If it means you have protection from litigation, then for the $50 a month, fuck yes you should do it. You should hear some of the crazy stuff that goes down being blamed on teachers and the school admin.

Wrider
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Did you hear about the girl in Durango suing the school because they won't put a slutty photo of her in the yearbook?

If she wants to put this in the yearbook, you know everyone already agrees she's a slut...

http://ethicsalarms.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/sydney-spies-yearbook-photo1.jpg

mathman1000
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Sadly, the good 'ol boy system is still prominent in public schools. Being fired by an administrator who doesn't know anything about classroom management-learning-best educational practices- happens all across our state every year.

A kid tapping a bag of weed to a teachers desk, then calling the admin to report the teacher.

Kids accusing a teachers of sexual harassment because they got a "C" instead of the entitled "A" that they're used to receiving.

Having a power parent with a vendetta against a particular teacher who pressures the administration to fire them because their kid doesn't like them.

I could go on and on.......You'd be lucky to find a school that doesn't currently have a pending lawsuit against them by a parent hoping to win the educational lottery.

Yeah, that kind of shit happens all the time.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 07:59 AM
If she wants to put this in the yearbook, you know everyone already agrees she's a slut...

http://ethicsalarms.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/sydney-spies-yearbook-photo1.jpg
That's not slutty....that's HAWT!

modette99
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 11:43 AM
What I don't understand with that picture is, they do full body shots now in year books? Even my wife who went to a large public High School in MI said it was a head and shoulder shot for them. Maybe they need to say, hey head and shoulders only like it was.

Zanatos
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 05:08 PM
What I don't understand with that picture is, they do full body shots now in year books? Even my wife who went to a large public High School in MI said it was a head and shoulder shot for them. Maybe they need to say, hey head and shoulders only like it was.

I think some yearbooks feature full-length photos of seniors.

Like this.

http://www.harlephoto.com/index/seniorportraits.jpg

and this

http://www.mullicastudio.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/O1O92761.jpg