PDA

View Full Version : ninja 250 ignition question

PsychoMike
Mon Jan 9th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I moved my 250 outside to clean the garage. I started it drove around the block then parked it infront of my house. An hout later I went to start it and move it back inside and the key would not turn. It move to lock the bars and moves a fraction to the on part but will not turn all the way. any ideas on how to fix this?

Wrider
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Might want to get some graphite to lube up the lock. Squirt some in there, then push your key in, pull it out, and repeat a few times. Should help lube up the tumblers, and has the added benefit of not attracting more contaminants.

Ninja2
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Try WD40.
If that doesn't work, you might need a new ignition system. This seems to be a somewhat common problem with the zx6rs. There is at least one more person on this forum who had to do the same. See also here: http://www.zxforums.com/forums/mechanical-technical/46048-key-ignition-problem-o__o.html

I am not aware if this is an issue with 250s as well, but thought I'd let you know. The ignition costs about $100. Someone on the forum was so kind to replace it.

Good luck!

PsychoMike
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 12:00 PM
thanks for the info

The_Jackel
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 01:54 PM
+1 on what wrider said. You dont want to use cable lube or wd40 as it will cause more issues by attracting dirt and the such. Bike shops sell the graphite lube and your local locksmith should have it as well. Also try wiggling the key and moving it up and down while turning. Just dont force it as you might bend the key, worst case breaking it.

Ninja2
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks, Jackel. Will keep this in mind. Didn't think about that.

Mike, I wouldn't fiddle around with it too much unless you have two keys. Cause something else I almost forgot is the fact that you will still need the old key for the tank... . The new ignition comes with a set of keys.