PDA

View Full Version : Ticket on I-25 HOV - Advise please

InSuPress
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Hey Board,

I wanted to get everyones advice on my situation. I got caught doing 105 in a 55. Cop was a little mad but then started to see i was sincere about it. I wasn't aware of all the trouble in CO being i have only been here just over a year. so the run down

105 in 55mph zone 40+ = 12 points
Careless = 4 points
No proof of insurance = 4 points
added Reckless Driving = 8 points

Being i'm from maryland i have no priors in colorado and even in maryland i never got a ticket. I didn't know if anyone could recommend what i should do. Was stuck behind people and opened it up passing them to get around since there was accident on side of road. didn't see him clocking people coming around. i stopped right away but he was yelling to pull over and take the keys out, helmet off, etc. He said 1 in 3 run and since i did stop he would not impound it and that he adviced me to get a lawyer. he then later stated if i bring my current insurance card that would be dropped more than likely.

Wanted to see if anyone has been in the same boat. As of right now my mandated court appearance is next month. Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Mother Goose
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 09:32 AM
You had to pass people at 105?!! :lol: Wow. Well, I won't comment on that anymore, but if you have insurance, you can just take your card into court to show them that you actually had it at the time. If you didn't have insurance, then you get what's coming.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 09:32 AM
4 tickets, 28 points, you better hire an attorney.

The GECCO
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Hire a lawyer. Don't even try to deal with this on your own. The money you spend on the lawyer will come back to you in reduced fines and future insurance savings.

PhL0aTeR
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I wanted to get everyones advice on my situation.

<snip>

so the run down

105 in 55mph zone 40+ = 12 points
Careless = 4 points
No proof of insurance = 4 points
added Reckless Driving = 8 points

<snip>

Was stuck behind people and opened it up passing them to get around since there was accident on side of road.

Stay off the fucking road.

longrider
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 09:37 AM
First off, definitely get a lawyer! The insurance is almost always dropped when you show you had insurance. My gut tells me the best you could hope for is to drop the reckless and reduce the speeding to 94 in a 55 which is 6 points so with 10 points you keep your license. (assuming you are 21)

bulldog
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Yup...pay big bucks for a lawyer and pray you can even keep you license. More people need to be aware of how bad they come down for speeding this much over the speed limit. I meet so many people that are shocked at the penalty.

Not preaching either; learned the hard way too....well not as bad as your case :puppy:

InSuPress
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks, i didn't get 4 tickets. it's just 1 ticket, just enclosed the information as a break down. I had my old card on me, he told me as well just to bring that to the court and it would get dropped. I have insurance so that's not an issue.

Bueller
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I am surprised they let you ride away with your bike.
You do realize you are going to get ripped on here for posting what you did? Don't get too offended.
Definitely lawyer time if you have any hopes of keeping your license or getting a restricted license.

salsashark
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
:lol:

stock up on KY cause you're gonna get bent over by someone... be it a lawyer or a judge, take your pick!

InSuPress
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Yeah i'm not worried, i used to be on a board in maryland (DC/VA/MD Area), people on here are kittens compared to them. Appreciate the people that are contrubiting positively

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Lawyer up...and for future reference...if you want to go that fast, do it at HPR or Bandimere where it's legal and only putting you in harms way.

TFOGGuys
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM
My experience from when I was much younger:

Similar ticket, with a drag racing (12 points) thrown in. 34 or 36 points total(was more than 20 years ago, so I forget). Took my lawyer to court with me, he chatted with the DA for about 15 minutes, they dropped everything but the speeding, knocked it down to 19 over, and collected about $600 in fines and court costs. I spent $450 for the lawyer, kept my license (and job), and my insurance didn't even go up(my only ticket on my record at renewal).

McVaaahhh
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 10:30 AM
+1 on the lawyer. I had a (wealthy) friend who got 40 points reduced to 4 with the help of the family attorney.

"Never go faster than you can afford the ticket for". :up:

burnn88
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 10:47 AM
wow this sucks man.. sorry

burnn88
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 10:48 AM
also if you get past this and still have you license but your insurance is crazy HIGH and you still have a maryland license just switch to a Co license then switch insurance companies and those points wont show up for insurance any more... (in most cases)

highpsi03
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 12:46 PM
if you have insurance, you can just take your card into court to show them that you actually had it at the time. .
Not correct. The court will not accept just a card. You must have a printed letter from your insurance agent saying you had insurance on "xxx day" when it occured.

longrider
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Not correct. The court will not accept just a card. You must have a printed letter from your insurance agent saying you had insurance on "xxx day" when it occured.

When did this change? I have had a couple no insurance charges dropped with just a card, however it was some time ago.

GuitarX
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Really sorry to hear about this, it sucks to get caught at the wrong place/wrong time. Definitely get a lawyer so they don't treat you like a murderer/rapist just for going a little fast.

I'm laughing at all the holier-than-thou posts on here though. Hitting 105 on a modern sport bike takes less time than it does to squeeze out a fart. Either you guys are all forgetting what it's like to actually ride since it's winter time or you need to cut this guy some slack. I tend to take my fun out in the middle of nowhere instead of I-25 but still, it's very easy to hit triple figures even if you're not trying to, especially in a passing situation.

InSuPress - Good luck with your situation.

Slo
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 01:08 PM
also if you get past this and still have you license but your insurance is crazy HIGH and you still have a maryland license just switch to a Co license then switch insurance companies and those points wont show up for insurance any more... (in most cases)

I could be very wrong, but I thought it came down to communicative states. When I moved here from Georgia, I believe all my points dropped due to GA being a non-communicative state. Seems like most are, the ones that are not are listed as:

Wisconsin, Tennessee, Georgia, Massachusetts, and Michigan - are not part of the IDLC. (http://www.californiaduihelp.com/out_of_state/driver_license_compact.php)

Although this could be apples and oranges since it's not a DUI/DWI....

Clovis
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Welcome to Colorado.

As others have said, yes you will need a lawyer if you want a chance to keep your license. Going 40 over is a 12 point violation where as 39 over is a 6 point violation so as a general rule of thumb, if you're going to speed excessively, keep it to under 40 over.

In Colorado, adult drivers (21 years or older) have 12 points and regain points year following the date of the ticket (not date of conviction). So if you get a ticket on June 1st and lose 4 points, you will get those 4 points back after June 1st of the following year.

However can not lose more then 18 points within a 2 year period.

I had a similar ticket for 105 in a 65 in Park County a few years ago. Due the court house being in Fairplay, CO (next to the real life South Park... hint, it's a tiny, tiny town) a lawyer would cost $3000. I didn't have the money so I handled it on my own and walked away with losing 10 points, $450 fines and 40 hours of community service. The original ticket was 16 points for speeding and careless (12 + 4) and a misdemeanor for reckless. I escaped with 2 points and quit riding for 2 years because I couldn't afford another ticket.

Two others on this forum got a larger ticket for going even faster in Park County and did hire an attorney. I found the original thread but it looks like the owner deleted it. From what I remember they ended up getting like 4 or 6 points total and split the cost of the lawyer.

So, get an attorney but remember it's not a guarantee that you wont still lose your license. With all of the tickets the cop was basically doing his utmost to make sure you lose it. I'm surprised he didn't arrest you and impound your bike to be honest.

Good luck!

Reference: http://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/point-system.php

Ghost
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Get a lawyer. In the early days of my youth I got a very similar ticket--though I had proof of insurance, and my bike got impounded on the spot. I paid through the ass for the lawyer, but he kept my license, and my job. As to insurance, it all depends on how things shake out with the tickets.

Good luck.

mdub
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 01:24 PM
You did tell the cop that you had to deficate sooo bad or you were gonna crap your pants, right?

Clovis
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure if you still have your MD license or if you got a CO license after you moved here. Both states are members of the DLC (Driver License Compact) which means a penalty from one state carries over to the home state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact#States_that_are_members

The DMV guide for Maryland:

http://www.dmv.org/md-maryland/point-system.php

It's also possible to keep your MD drivers license but lose your driving privileges here in Colorado.

Slo
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 01:27 PM
You did tell the cop that you had to deficate sooo bad or you were gonna crap your pants, right?

I actually used that back in Ocala Florida on a back road....was doing high 90's down the road, got pulled over. Luckily, I just had surgery recently and still had stitches showing in my abdomen, played it off that I seriously was about to unload....if needed on the side of the road.

Cop let me go with a warning, I stopped at the next gas station and used their bathroom, came walking out and noticed the cop was there in the parking lot.

Clovis
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Ahh yes, the bubble gut defense! :lol::lol::lol:

Clovis
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I've been there before. You know you really have to go when you seriously consider dropping a deuce on the side of the road and using a pine cone to wipe.

Lesson learned, throw a little travel pack of Kleenex in your bag because you never know when bubble gut will strike, LOL.

I actually used that back in Ocala Florida on a back road....was doing high 90's down the road, got pulled over. Luckily, I just had surgery recently and still had stitches showing in my abdomen, played it off that I seriously was about to unload....if needed on the side of the road.

Cop let me go with a warning, I stopped at the next gas station and used their bathroom, came walking out and noticed the cop was there in the parking lot.

AOK303
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Had a 32 point ticket dropped to 4 points with a lawyer and I had a less then great driving record was in a car though, from what I remember the cop can not camp to close to an accidents

But in any case its just 3 months of no driving or 6 on a red, if its your first time going over points

3D
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 02:07 PM
you are lucky he didn't arrest you. Anything 25 and over they can arrest you on the spot. But, I'd spend a little dough on a lawyer. He may not be able to make it dissappear, but he will most likely get it reduced. Good luck. It's hard for me to keep it under triple digits myself. I see an open lane and my throttle opens automatically. I think it's a factory issue.... :guns:

InSuPress
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input.

I looked into a lawyer, $1500 flat fee. He said after things are said and done probably about 500 in fines but he can't promise anything. he said he has had clients doing 130+ and they kept their license.

Everything is colorado tags and license. I just am wondering do i go and try at it myself and use the 1500 towards the penalties, fines, etc. or pay the man and hope he works wonders. either way being first offense, no priors on any account. i mean it's not like was driving drunk or killed someone or even doing both.

I typically commute on the bike as it's much cheaper to park, maintenance, etc.

Needless to say i haven't been on the bike since, that and it's been cold out.

TFOGGuys
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 02:34 PM

Yeah, it's a municipal thing. Aurora made me have my agent fax over a letter stating that insurance was in effect at the time I was stopped. Then they collected a $31 "administrative fee" when the charges were dropped. So, even though I WAS NOT CONVICTED of any offense or infraction, I was effectively fined $31 for not having a current POI in my possession. :banghead:

I just am wondering do i go and try at it myself and use the 1500 towards the penalties, fines, etc. or pay the man and hope he works wonders. either way being first offense, no priors on any account. i mean it's not like was driving drunk or killed someone or even doing both.

Don't go in on your own. The system is WAY geared against you, and you WILL come out worse for wear. Why are lawyers expensive? Because they are worth it.

Bueller
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 02:38 PM
They will plea bargain it down without a lawyer, but a lawyer is more than likely going to get it reduced more than you will. It is the system, you are greasing the wheels when you pay a lawyer. Remember the judge is more than likely a lawyer too, they speak the same language. That is why you always hire a local attorney when you need one out in the sticks.

Gramps
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 02:39 PM
:squid::squid:

I've just been wanting to use that smiley.

Anyway I empathize. This type ticket as always scared me. Everything that has been said is true in one way or another. Just get a lawyer and take your poison.

tecknojoe
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Being i'm from maryland

Then you should know better

grim
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 03:33 PM
You should have waved at him when you passed him that always helps.

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I've heard from a friend, it's not uncommon to accelerate to higher speeds when someone opens the throttle on a fast bike.

TFOGGuys
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 05:03 PM
You should have waved at him when you passed him that always helps.
Like this?

http://youtu.be/oB5CXR6tD6s

highpsi03
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 06:29 PM
When did this change? I have had a couple no insurance charges dropped with just a card, however it was some time ago.
Been that way since I started driving like 11 years ago.

highpsi03
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 06:32 PM
or killed someone or even doing both.

Not yet atleast.. Hence why he pulled you over and ticketed you. He just might have saved your life or someone else. Im not one to preach because i have been known to open mine up. I recall a time coming down from Mt Evans doing about 80 in a 40 or whatever. Cop saw me, flashed his lights warning me to slow down... I did. Maybe a mile up the road some idiot pulled out infront of me from the side of the road. I was doing 45 and had to lock them up to not hit him. Imagine if i was still doing 80+ as i was a mile back. I might not have made it.

Wrider
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Been that way since I started driving like 11 years ago.

I didn't have my proof of insurance when I was pulled over one time, showed them my card (has beginning/end of coverage dates on it) and had no problem getting it dropped.

stubbicatt
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Careless is a lesser included offense of Reckless, so that is a throwaway. So too is the insurance. The speed if confirmed by reliable means will stick. Even the Reckless if only speed, and no reckless disregard of road conditions and other traffic may not stick.

Be advised that speed at that level and Reckless are both HTO offenses, if you get 3 in 5 years you could face felony charges.

My guess is that you are looking at about 10 to 20 days in jail, probably an offer to PG to Reckless, and a fine.

Good luck.

Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 07:07 PM
You can always hear the plea bargain before hiring the lawyer, then request continuance to hire/consult him if it sucks. Of course it means at least one extra trip to court and all the fun that that is. You never know, sometimes you get a DA who's in a good mood.

highpsi03
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I didn't have my proof of insurance when I was pulled over one time, showed them my card (has beginning/end of coverage dates on it) and had no problem getting it dropped.
You got lucky or things are different in the springs? I know for a fact that wont work here in aurora/denver/centennial area. You must provide a letter from the insurance company. It's to easy for Jose Hernandez to make a fake card/print one and bring it into court saying he has insurance when he doesn't.

willb003
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Get an attorney, and get some cash, your gonna need both.

grim
Tue Jan 10th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Like this?

http://youtu.be/oB5CXR6tD6s

Actually I have a video of me waving at a police officer as I passed by him and shortly thereafter was pulled over by him for making an illegal pass!

D Berns R6
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 10:01 PM
I had the exact same scenario, speed and charges minus the insurance charge, in denver back in 2006. I hired a lawyer, family friend, for $500. I got off with only 6 points and a $300 fine. Definitely don't do it alone.

thankgod
Wed Jan 18th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Just run like Luna...

thaitanic
Wed Jan 18th, 2012, 07:01 PM
whats does losing license has to do with kepping your job?

sag
Wed Jan 18th, 2012, 07:08 PM
i had 26 pts dropped to 3 in court with a $700 lawyer. shop around.

Ghost
Wed Jan 18th, 2012, 07:13 PM
i had 26 pts dropped to 3 in court with a $700 lawyer. shop around.

What lawyer was that?

Zenshu
Wed Jan 18th, 2012, 07:23 PM
That sucks dude..I would suggest a lawyer, wish I could offer advice from experience but the worst I have gotten since moving to Colorado was a 9 over on my bike(got pulled over by a bike cop doing 55 in a 45 and he dropped 1mph when he wrote it up) and got pulled over trying to get to work because I was being cussed out on speakerphone by my 1sg because of a dumbass that screwed up at MEPS when he was supposed to be shipping...either way I was doing 98 in a 45 that time in my car and the cop gave me a break and wrote me up for no seatbelt instead of speeding. So I have no experience other than knowing that I have worked with people trying to join the Army who had a lot of traffic tickets dismissed thanks to lawyers and most everyone I have encountered in the past year who have gotten no proof of insurance just take the card in showing that they were covered for those dates and get that dismissed...either way good luck.

Penadam
Wed Jan 18th, 2012, 07:28 PM

If you have to drive a company vehicle or travel and need a rental car as part of your job, you lose you license and lose your job.

Zenshu
Wed Jan 18th, 2012, 07:32 PM

There are quite a few jobs out there that require you to have a license. For example you can't have a job as a bus driver if you don't have a license to drive....there are a lot of jobs that require you to drive as part of your job responsibilities and if you don't have a license you can't drive, if you can't drive you can't preform your duties, can't preform your duties you can't keep the job...I know that in the town I come from in NC you have to have a license to work for a plumber because every plumbing company requires its plumbers to work alone and drive the company trucks, which again you can't do if you don't have a license...and if someone is pulled over and has no license or has a revoked license while driving the company car(who is an employee of the company and not some random crack head who stole the car) then the company is fined for allowing/making you drive without a license.

cbrjohnny
Wed Jan 18th, 2012, 08:10 PM
hehe i like to go fast too...

Nooch
Wed Jan 18th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Where did this happen?

InSuPress
Thu Jan 19th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Mine happed on I25 north bound in the hov lane. i now have a lawyer and because of no priors he is confident i shouldn't have too much trouble keeping my license and things getting worked out. I'll keep you posted on everything when it goes down.

Mike

grim
Thu Jan 19th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I will be fighting a ticket for an illegal pass next thursday I was pulled over and ticketed for this pass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzriPeRSVMM

Was i Speeding? maybe but i am not presenting a video i am presenting 5 second increment pictures. the pass was legal, the sheriff never even saw me make the pass, and i gave a friendly wave to the sheriff that gave me the ticket. WTF?????

bulldog
Thu Jan 19th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I will be fighting a ticket for an illegal pass next thursday I was pulled over and ticketed for this pass

Was i Speeding? maybe but i am not presenting a video i am presenting 5 second increment pictures. the pass was legal, the sheriff never even saw me make the pass, and i gave a friendly wave to the sheriff that gave me the ticket. WTF????? Seemed legal to me...although maybe speeding. Be careful I once tried to fight something like this and they just changed the ticket to "careless driving". Seems that is what they can use for just about anything.

Nooch
Thu Jan 19th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Mine happed on I25 north bound in the hov lane. i now have a lawyer and because of no priors he is confident i shouldn't have too much trouble keeping my license and things getting worked out. I'll keep you posted on everything when it goes down.

Mike

More specifically, what county were you in, do you know? If not, what courthouse are you required to appear at?

grim
Thu Jan 19th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Seemed legal to me...although maybe speeding. Be careful I once tried to fight something like this and they just changed the ticket to "careless driving". Seems that is what they can use for just about anything.

Nothing reckless about the pass, there were absolutely no cars, no rain or ice, passed only one car, and in the images do not show how fast i was going.

bulldog
Thu Jan 19th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Nothing reckless about the pass, there were absolutely no cars, no rain or ice, passed only one car, and in the images do not show how fast i was going. Ummm...not always the way cops see it or a judge. I got the careless and cop never saw me just heard me and said "sounded like you were speeding". I challenged it and got careless driving. I wish you luck brother and hope it works out, I just never have too much faith inthe system. Should help you have these pics. Such BS as I can see there was no way the cop could have saw you make that pass!

fasterlaster
Thu Jan 19th, 2012, 04:36 PM

Was i Speeding? maybe but i am not presenting a video i am presenting 5 second increment pictures. the pass was legal, the sheriff never even saw me make the pass, and i gave a friendly wave to the sheriff that gave me the ticket. WTF?????

It looked like a reasonable pass to me. One thing that may help for a visual presentation would be a time/date stamp in the image if you can do that. Good luck with it.

mdub
Thu Jan 19th, 2012, 05:13 PM
that sucks man....and you even gave him a courtesy V sign....

modette99
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 05:55 PM
To the OP, CO is hardcore about speeding and cops toss out the careless way too easy here. MI the cop just wrote "Actual speed 110" on my ticket and said not to fight it..wrote the ticket for only 10mph over...LOL Only time I been cuffed & stuffed.

I think the thing I had going for me besides lawyer here in CO was I being 32 instead of 25'ish when I bought the bike...and a clean record.

I deserved the ticket though, I saw 157 many times, I had lane shared at those speeds in traffic, I had run from cops in various states and always got away. I'm too old for that shit. It's why I went to Dual Sports....stay on dirt the most I can, and if I want to do 80mph over water bars there is no one else around and it feels like 200mph...LOL

InSuPress
Tue Jan 15th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Sorry for taking so long to update. I requested the lawyer suggest anything to get the points down. I have no priors.

i had to spend a weekend at level 3 driving/road rage class for 155.00
Lawyer $250.00
Court $252.00

All go dropped but 8 points which i had to eat.

All turned out well. Unfortunately this past november i have been troubleshooting issues with the bike. Narrowed it down to a bad coil pack. with holidays it's been on the back burner to get fixed. Hope all had a happy and safe holiday.

Grim2.0
Tue Jan 15th, 2013, 12:00 PM
8 is better than losing your license, and looks like you didn't get raped too badly in fines, I won my little battle in court. :D

Sully
Tue Jan 15th, 2013, 02:28 PM
InSuPress (http://cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=6895), glad to hear it wasn't too bad. You still have 4 pts, just protect them as if your life depended on it!

I was stopped last summer and didn't have my current insurance card on me, but the Sheriff just called it in and his dispatcher verified that the bike was mine and that I WAS insured at that time. After giving me the "DAD" lecture, he let me go, ticket free :angel: :squid: Not sure why they can't/won't do this for others?

rforsythe
Tue Jan 15th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Not sure why they can't/won't do this for others?

:boobies:

kawasakirob
Tue Jan 15th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Long story short, I raced an airplane once, the airplane was a State Trooper, a"few" troopers were waiting for me up the road. They let me go but I had the choice of paying the ticket in full or losing my license. I payed in full. Talk to the DA nicely and admit your wrong doing. Sincerness is key, and maybe they will help you out. Maybe write a hand written letter to the judge also. That helps a lot, as corny as it is.

NZ Darren
Wed Jan 16th, 2013, 03:49 AM

How the heck did you get a ticket for this?

Obviously you proved the cop was lying, was he reprimanded in any way for inventing a ticket?

Wondering if I need to go get a gopro just to protect myself from dishonest cops like this.

tecknojoe
Wed Jan 16th, 2013, 06:48 AM
:boobies:

Exactly :lol:

Grim2.0
Wed Jan 16th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Exactly :lol:

I watched it happen! She was chasing some hot dude with long hair on Horsepower hill!