PDA

View Full Version : Hate Shoveling Snow, but Snow Blower too Expensive

bulldog
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Try the Toro Power Shovel. Just got this and it has made shoveling so much easier (and kind of fun); flings the snow about 20 feet (only foward though). A buddy and I took the risk and bought the "used" one offered on Amazon for $65; came in and looked new to me (think it was a returned package from another buyer). Just thought I would share my experience in case anyone wants to get one. Showing still 5 "used" on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VU222S/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31CLLcJNGGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

salsashark
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 08:27 AM
we had one when I was a kid. They do all right for a little light snow, but don't bother if it piles up more than a few inches.

bulldog
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 08:29 AM
we had one when I was a kid. They do all right for a little light snow, but don't bother if it piles up more than a few inches. Maybe they have improved because I have hit about 4 inches and had no issue. Only issue I had with this is to not shoot the snow into the wind. :lol:

EDIT: Wait, when you were a kid Salsa? Wasn't that like 30 years ago! :lol:

salsashark
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I'm old. Not Bueller or Monkey old, but old

bulldog
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I'm old. Not Bueller or Monkey old, but old Was this power shovel you had as a kid made out of stone! :lol:

JK...I am only 3 years younger than you. :p

salsashark
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Was this power shovel you had as a kid made out of stone! :lol:

not quite, but I'm pretty sure it was actually assembled in 'Merica... not like anything Craftsman makes today.

Tell us the story of the way way back!

http://deanoinamerica.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/186292_large-wild-kids2.jpg

green_zx7r
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Awesome Nate. Thank you for this wonderful news!

I realize I sound pathetic by saying this, but we typically seem to get just enough snow to not need a blower, but is a lot more labor intensive to manually shovel. Additionally, our garage faces North, and the snow seems to stick around for ages...

I'm ordering this sucker right now!

bulldog
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Awesome Nate. Thank you for this wonderful news!

I realize I sound pathetic by saying this, but we typically seem to get just enough snow to not need a blower, but is a lot more labor intensive to manually shovel. Additionally, our garage faces North, and the snow seems to stick around for ages...

I'm ordering this sucker right now! No problem; hope it works well for you too. I figured for $65 you can't beat it.

I did end up buying a "cold weather" extension cord. You can use a regualr one, just gets a bit stiff. This was the best deal I found http://www.amazon.com/US-Wire-98100-100-Foot-Extension/dp/B002HWRSB8/ref=pd_sim_k_7

Wrider
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I did end up buying a "cold weather" extension. You can use a regular one, just gets a bit stiff.

Weird, from what I heard, most guys are the opposite...

RajunCajun
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 10:03 AM

:lol:

modette99
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Seems like it would be less work, but slower...I typically have our driveway done before the people with the fancy snow blowers are finished...but I work fast, no breaks and I have a method that make sit go quick...yeah I'm sore afterwards but its good for you. Also my OCD kicks in and I can not have any little missed spots on the driveway or sidewalk...plus unlike the guys with the big blowers that take a blower width down the sidewalk I do the whole width by hand.

I also do the back deck, and the back patio too...LOL

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 12:31 PM
And certainly not N_N Olde! :)

salsashark
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 12:32 PM
And certainly not N_N Olde! :)

Well of course. He didn't have snow when he was a kid. The earth was still cooling.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Interesting idea if you only have a couple inches of light snow.....but if you have a driveway of any length, I'd still get a real snowblower. The only reason I didn't buy ine in cleveland with 115' of driveway to clear (sometimes 3x a day!) was that my X's parents next door had one, and I just kept it full of gas, running good, and did their drive for them, and I got to use it. Sometime's I'd do the neighbors' (Joe) too. Shoveling snow sux azz.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Well of course. He didn't have snow when he was a kid. The earth was still cooling.
And let's not forget water hadn't been invented yet! :)

mdub
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 12:40 PM
i shovel its good fer me yea.plus i have a corner so more shoveling......thank goodness i have a south facing front yard though....i'm surprise kids these days don't make a killing in shoveling or using the blower. i'd be down for that...all fat lazy f'ers...

bulldog
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Interesting idea if you only have a couple inches of light snow.....but if you have a driveway of any length, I'd still get a real snowblower. The only reason I didn't buy ine in cleveland with 115' of driveway to clear (sometimes 3x a day!) was that my X's parents next door had one, and I just kept it full of gas, running good, and did their drive for them, and I got to use it. Sometime's I'd do the neighbors' (Joe) too. Shoveling snow sux azz. Oh yeah, not saying this is better than a snowblower, but I have not been able to find a snowblower for $65. Just a cheap option that works fairly well.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Oh yeah, not saying this is better than a snowblower, but I have not been able to find a snowblower for $65. Just a cheap option that works fairly well.
I hear ya. Better than nothing. Cleveland snow would kill that in minutes!

green_zx7r
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Just ordered one through Amazon.

My wife tends to shovel the drive way while I'm at work (yeah I'm lucky like that!). Her caravan sometimes can't get up the drive way due to the snow + slope, so she needs to keep her side pretty clean if it snows a lot.

This would be perfect for her since it would make it more efficient and less straining on her back/arms.

As others stated, it may not work in heavy snow, but we get that maybe once every other (or three) years. Otherwise it tends to be less than 8-10 inches of snow on average...

Can't wait to give it a try!

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I don't have 'a' snow blower -- I have two (2) snow blowers :D

Frank just need to open his pie-hole and the snow melts.

Ghost
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Wrong end.

asp_125
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 02:58 PM
We live up in the foothills, we got 18" last storm. A snowblower was the difference between clearing our north facing driveway enough to ride, our not at all. Best $500 we ever spent.

Slo
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 03:00 PM
flings the snow about 20 feet (only foward though).

Was sounding like a good alternative until I thought of my neighbors pissed off after they have already shovelled their sidewalks and here I come coverin it again doing my portion haha.

bulldog
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Just ordered one through Amazon.

My wife tends to shovel the drive way while I'm at work (yeah I'm lucky like that!). Her caravan sometimes can't get up the drive way due to the snow + slope, so she needs to keep her side pretty clean if it snows a lot.

This would be perfect for her since it would make it more efficient and less straining on her back/arms.

As others stated, it may not work in heavy snow, but we get that maybe once every other (or three) years. Otherwise it tends to be less than 8-10 inches of snow on average...

Can't wait to give it a try!
Yeah I think it would be pefect for someone with a back problem, because all you have to do is push and not lift. Most plowing injuries occur from lifting the heavy snow on the shovel and throwing it; so hard on the back. If you can push the machine, then that is about all the effort it takes.

Was sounding like a good alternative until I thought of my neighbors pissed off after they have already shovelled their sidewalks and here I come coverin it again doing my portion haha. You just have to plan a bit. I will go side to side or at an angle when it comes to the sidewalk or avoiding my neighbors yard. I guess it depends on the layout of the houses by you. Would have been nice if there was a way to direct the snow, but guess they have one for that, but more expensive.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I don't have 'a' snow blower -- I have two (2) snow blowers :D

Global warming! :)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jan 11th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah I think it would be pefect for someone with a back problem, because all you have to do is push and not lift. Most plowing injuries occur from lifting the heavy snow on the shovel and throwing it; so hard on the back. If you can push the machine, then that is about all the effort it takes.

You just have to plan a bit. I will go side to side or at an angle when it comes to the sidewalk or avoiding my neighbors yard. I guess it depends on the layout of the houses by you. Would have been nice if there was a way to direct the snow, but guess they have one for that, but more expensive.
With the wet snow we got in cleveland, we had older people dropping dead every year from heart attacks....

bulldog
Thu Jan 12th, 2012, 08:04 AM
So apparently there are risks associated with this thing....if you are in a hurry and careless like I was yesterday. Somehow managed to pull the extension cord and the end of it(wasn't plugged in yet) slammed my head. It hurt bad, but continued to snowplow. After I am cruising to the gym and realize I am bleeding with a giant lump on my forehead :lol:

For the update though, this thing worked like a champ yesterday. Cut through all the snow with no issues at all. Even my gf came out and was amazed I was already done. Only con was you really have to watch the wind. Got a nice gust and a nice gust of snow righ to the face. I even managed to hit a corner of my steps with the spinning blade and it didn't break or anything; held up just fine!

modette99
Thu Jan 12th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Now this looks fun...

http://www.quadivator.com/images/blower/blower6.jpg

green_zx7r
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Nate,
Can't thank you enough for letting us know about this little snow blower. Thanks to this thing, clearing my drive way was a cinch despite the 1.5 feet of snow. On Friday morning, it was only about a foot of snow. Despite that being a bit challenging for this little machine, it held it's own and did well. This morning we woke to another 6-8 inches, and this little machine cleared it damn quick.

Awesome suggestion and I'm VERY glad I bought this. Was well worth it, even if it was just for these two days! :headbang:

Darth Do'Urden
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 11:35 AM
My snow blower is 12 years old, was virtually free to acquire (only about $20 w/military discount), is self-starting (w/only the occasional swift kick), and runs automatically as it keeps me perfectly dry and warm inside while it does its thing outside. Fuel is prohibitively expensive (requiring constant maintenance even in the summer time), but hey...at least it's paid for.

bulldog
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Nate,
Can't thank you enough for letting us know about this little snow blower. Thanks to this thing, clearing my drive way was a cinch despite the 1.5 feet of snow. On Friday morning, it was only about a foot of snow. Despite that being a bit challenging for this little machine, it held it's own and did well. This morning we woke to another 6-8 inches, and this little machine cleared it damn quick.

Awesome suggestion and I'm VERY glad I bought this. Was well worth it, even if it was just for these two days! :headbang: Nice :up: I was wondering if you tried it out with this snow. Used mine today too and even though the snow was deep it cut through it quite well and cut the time in half and made it much easier on my back. Glad it helped you guys out :)

grim
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 12:32 PM
May have to look into this cause my back is fucking destroyed right now after my driveway

Ghost
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 12:35 PM
May have to look into this cause my back is fucking destroyed right now after my driveway

HOA fees = shoveling crew comes and clears everything.
So I just sit here like a :king:

Bueller
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Here is the one I got, worked great. Even did a swath down the drifted back yard to the shed.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Z9YYIG/ref=mp_s_a_11?qid=1328384259&sr=8-11

modette99
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Looking at the amazon link from OP I noticed this...this had me laughing:
http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Wolf-SW0310-Wheeled-Shovel/dp/B001I7JWTO/ref=pd_sbs_k_7

http://joshcoombs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Snow-Wolf-SW0310-Wheele-Snow-Shovel-6.jpg

modette99
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Now I am looking at this...
http://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Ariens-921031-Snow-Thrower/p6818.html?source=amazon&utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=shop+portals

Damn these threads...

modette99
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Toro Power shovel video:
http://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Toro-38361-Snow-Thrower/p2345.html

I'll admit it does look interesting especially for the little money at Amazon.

bulldog
Mon Feb 6th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Toro Power shovel video:
http://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Toro-38361-Snow-Thrower/p2345.html

I'll admit it does look interesting especially for the little money at Amazon. You got two people on here that have bought it and it worked well for them; and on amazon I bought it cheap. I really figured it was not going to be able to cut through the 2 feet of snow I had this weekend, but it did. Or I kept waiting for the engine to die out with all the weight of this snow, but it kept going. There were a few times I had to lift it up to take a layer off first, but even that was as easy as gliding it across. Of course a snow blower is better, but for the price it is worth every penny.

Last week I saw that the Target on Santa Fe and Hampden had a bunch marked down to about $75. You may want to check there or give them a call.

modette99
Mon Feb 6th, 2012, 08:45 AM
You got two people on here that have bought it and it worked well for them; and on amazon I bought it cheap. I really figured it was not going to be able to cut through the 2 feet of snow I had this weekend, but it did. Or I kept waiting for the engine to die out with all the weight of this snow, but it kept going. There were a few times I had to lift it up to take a layer off first, but even that was as easy as gliding it across. Of course a snow blower is better, but for the price it is worth every penny.

Last week I saw that the Target on Santa Fe and Hampden had a bunch marked down to about $75. You may want to check there or give them a call.

I like the model up with the wheels, do to it being able to direct the snow still and seems like it can handle bigger jobs. We get pure drift snow here. I think the 8100 I think it is called is what I will get.

bulldog
Mon Feb 6th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I like the model up with the wheels, do to it being able to direct the snow still and seems like it can handle bigger jobs. We get pure drift snow here. I think the 8100 I think it is called is what I will get. yeah that one may have the option to direct the snow; that would be nice to have since this "shovel" only shoots it foward.

mastap07
Mon Feb 6th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Now I am looking at this...
http://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Ariens-921031-Snow-Thrower/p6818.html?source=amazon&utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=shop+portals

Damn these threads...

we have 3 of these at work and 3 smaller toros for lighter storms. it makes the yab very niiiice!

bulldog
Mon Feb 6th, 2012, 01:27 PM
we have 3 of these at work and 3 smaller toros for lighter storms. it makes the yab very niiiice! I would hope so for $1000 dollars.

green_zx7r
Tue Feb 7th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Ahhhh. Done shoveling drive way and sidewalk in 50% of the normal time thanks to the little machine that can. :applause:

In addition, my wife was so interested in trying out the Toro, she came outside and took over midway and was having tons of fun. THAT alone is worth the purchase, don't ya think??? ;)

bulldog
Tue Feb 7th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Ahhhh. Done shoveling drive way and sidewalk in 50% of the normal time thanks to the little machine that can. :applause:

In addition, my wife was so interested in trying out the Toro, she came outside and took over midway and was having tons of fun. THAT alone is worth the purchase, don't ya think??? ;) lol...yeah my girl was excited to use it too...double score! if I had a kid I would convince him how fun it is :lol:

I did the entire driveway and sidewalk in ten minutes this morning and never busted a sweat. With regualr shovel took about 20 and would get all sweaty.

Scatterbrain
Tue Feb 7th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I always wondered about those things. I'm sure it was worth it if you don't live in the country and get huge snow drifts. I'm sure it'd be fun though, might have to check out amazon....

Check out my youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDookie1020