PDA

View Full Version : Good shop in Littleton?

cWood30
Sun Jun 26th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Well, I'm back and with a new 1984 Honda VF700F Interceptor. Does anyone know of a good local shop with fair pricing I could take the 'Ceptor to in order for it to get a MUCH needed tune up? I can't drive the beast too far, for fear of getting stranded with it, as it doesn't run too well as it is. And I don't have a truck to haul 'er in, so I need somewhere relatively close. I'd love to take it to Twin Peaks, but just can't make the trip, so I'm looking for somewhere/someone in the area of Littleton/Englewood/Highlands Ranch. Thanks! ~ Chris

AirAssault
Mon Jun 27th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Nice bike. My first bike was an 85 VF1000R, I love that old style. If you want to go close, Grand Prix is right off Sante Fe and County Line. Don't know how good or bad their service dept is. www.grandprixmotorsports.com Good luck.

Anonymous
Mon Jun 27th, 2005, 08:43 AM
I'd take it to either TK Motorsports (I-25 & 8th Ave) or TFOG Wheelsports in Golden (near I-70 & 6th Ave). I know neither of them are close to you, but both places do excellent work. TK sponsors the 4 Horsemen, so if you go there, tell them we sent ya, :D and TFOG is a CSC sponsor ( http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/sponsors.html#tfog ).

Anonymous
Mon Jun 27th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I agree with what Bob said, both of those shops will help you out and aren't too far to go.

I can't really recommend any shops south of that closer to you (and there are some), simply because I don't like them. I wouldn't tell you to take anything to a shop I wouldn't (and don't) patronize myself.

cWood30
Mon Jun 27th, 2005, 11:08 AM
I agree with what Bob said, both of those shops will help you out and aren't too far to go.

I can't really recommend any shops south of that closer to you (and there are some), simply because I don't like them. I wouldn't tell you to take anything to a shop I wouldn't (and don't) patronize myself.

Understandable. The darn thing just won't idle once it's warmed up. It drives just fine, but at stops, it keeps stalling out before I even get a chance to keep it at revs. Not to mention this is my first bike, so I'm trying to learn to ride all the while. Either way, I'm having fun on it, just need to get it to a shop!

Anonymous
Mon Jun 27th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Where specificallly are you/the bike located? Maybe we can work something out to get the bike to either TFOG or TK. If I can't help, somebody else might be able to.

Anonymous
Mon Jun 27th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Is the idle set too low? Try adjusting the screw. My superhawk would idle high until it was warm, then drop back down to normal...

It's possible that it is running too lean, so when you go to idle it dies. If you keep the choke on, does it stay running?

cWood30
Mon Jun 27th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Just got back from about a half hour jaunt on the bike. Did fine for a while, but as soon as the temp gauge hit right in the middle, with the fan on, it stalled and wouldn't restart. AFter leaving the choke off for a while and trying, thinking it might be flooded, it still didn't start. A few tries with full choke, and it would start but not maintain an idle without some serious throttle coaxing/choke management. Thank god I managed to get it home, but everytime I put that clutch in, the engine just dropped straight to a stall, and I had to rebattle the throttle/choke to start it up and get it going again.

My best guess would be that it's therefore running lean when the engine gets warm, causing the bad low RPM idle. So (In my uneducated opinion) something is expanding and starving the fuel supply. I'm not sure what could cause this, as I don't know bikes too well, just cars. Any quick fix ideas? I'm relatively good with my hands, just need to know what I'm seeing in front of me.

And I'm located right around Broadway/Arapahoe intersection. If someone would actually take the time to haul my ars to one of the shops, that would be awesome, but I certainly don't want to impose or make anyone feel obligated.

Oh and I called the "good" shops, didn't get too far. TK doesn't work on bikes this old, TFOG wouldn't be able to get me in until sometime next week (I'm impatient, I know, but I want to ride this beast! They will be a last resort), and Twin Peaks isn't open on Monday's, so I don't know where they stand.

Mr. Turbo
Tue Jun 28th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Sounds like a fuel issue to me. You might want to get a rebuild kit for the carbs and just clean them out and replace anything that is worn. There could be gunk in the carbs that is clogging it while hot. Like ralph said try cranking up the idle screw. Also, check that it has the right plugs, that's a cheap and easy thing to do. The last, but weirdest thing i can think of is a massive vacuum leak, so if your carb boots are looking cracked, that may be your culprit. I'll be down in littleton over 4th of july weekend if you're around and want someone to take a look at it.

cWood30
Tue Jun 28th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Is there one idle screw for the entire V4, or does each carb have it's own idle screw? I can see a little gold screw on the side of each carb, and I assume that that is the butterfly idle adjustment, but I'm just shooting in the dark, so perhaps they aren't.

I'll start tinkering on the bike today and see if any of those things will help, thanks for the advice.

Mr. Turbo
Tue Jun 28th, 2005, 09:23 PM
There should be an idle screw on the throttle linkage (right by where the cable hooks into the carburetors) Check to see that your fuel lines and filter are not clogged or otherwise sketchy. (rubber hoses = cheap fix) If you're around this weekend i could prolly take a look at it.

cWood30
Fri Jul 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the offer Mr. Turbo, but I think I've figured most of it out. The heating issue was caused by a 70/30 coolant mixture, so I dropped it to 50/50 and the bike runs right in the middle now, and the idling issue was due to a bad battery. I got a new one and changed the oil and fuel lines, and she runs great now. Not perfect, still needs a tune-up, but the bike is at least idling right and not overheating whatsoever. Thanks for the help guys, the bike will be going to TFOG next week, and I'll be driving it up.

Anonymous
Fri Jul 1st, 2005, 02:56 PM
:up:

Banchi94
Wed Jul 20th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Grand Prix Motorsports is pretty good when it comes to service, however, I thought that they were a little pricey. You can check them out and get a service quote. They do have good deals on tires.