PDA

View Full Version : Selling a motorcyle, rides with cash in hand

laspariahs
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 02:03 PM
How do you feel about letting someone ride the motorcycle with cash in hand?

madvlad
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I usually make them sign a paper before test ride with cash in hand that says if crashed during the test ride the sale becomes final AS IS, if not they can kiss my ass.

laspariahs
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I usually make them sign a paper before test ride with cash in hand that says if crashed during the test ride the sale becomes final AS IS, if not they can kiss my ass.

That's the way I'm planning on doing it.

madvlad
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Gotta cover your ass, signed papers are best and absolutely no verbal agreements. Also it'd be best if the person has an endorsement, if they still insist on test riding without having one then also note that on the piece of paper that they decided to ride on their own risk.

laspariahs
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Gotta cover your ass, signed papers are best and absolutely no verbal agreements. Also it'd be best if the person has an endorsement, if they still insist on test riding without having one then also note that on the piece of paper that they decided to ride on their own risk.

I'm not letting anyone with out an endorsement ride the thing. Honestly the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards no test rides.

madvlad
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I'm not letting anyone with out an endorsement ride the thing. Honestly the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards no test rides.

It's a tough situation for sure, your call there.

asp_125
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM
First impressions matter a lot; along with the other things mentioned. If they show up with their own helmet, endorsement and sounds like they know how to ride. OTOH if they show up in shorts, flip flops and sound like a total squid then no way.

Clovis
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Might as well just have them sign the bill of sale and receive payment with the agreement that if you don't like the bike (after riding it) that you'll cancel the transaction.

I've never sold a motorcycle though but I've always been uneasy with it.

biikChiQ
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 07:16 PM
agree with what vlad said.

I guess it depends on you, but it irks me when people don't allow test rides usually there's only one indication that theres something wrong with the bike, but at the same time i understand from an honest seller's pov about people crashing it etc.

Sleev
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Y can't say I'd ever buy a bike without riding it first

tecknojoe
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I would never buy a bike without being able to test ride. I'm also the type that shows up with full gear and M endorsement

Make them sign something and hold on to the cash. Otherwise it makes it look like you might have something to hide (not saying you do, but buyers are real skeptical)

laspariahs
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I just wonder what my liability is if they crash in to someone.

I guess we'll see what they look like when they show up. I'd feel ok with it if they look sound and feel legit.

madvlad
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Well yea its like going to a dealer and wanting to buy but not being able to drive. Do understand that but hey with cash on hand and something signed that states the bike is theirs if damaged so you'll be covered regardless... Yes sucks if God forbid they do go down and such and you see your bike trashed but again at least you have cash... Then also state on the paper to sign that during the test ride it is the buyer test riding (print full name) responsibility to cough up for any damage to other property. That'll make them test ride responsibly... Also some sellers that dont allow test rides have a current dealer multi-point inspection done at hand to make sure the bike is in good selling condition.

thaitanic
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 08:11 PM
How do you feel about letting someone ride the motorcycle with cash in hand?
why would you let anyone ride a motobike with cash in hand?. kinda dangerous i think. you need both hands, throttle and clutch

biikChiQ
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 08:21 PM
LOL!

@Vlad Well, good to know that's one of the reasons..
There was one guy who wouldn't allow testing (didn't have inspection done like u said) and when I didn't buy it, he rode off and the bike sounded like shit.

Filo
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I've sold plenty of bikes this way - 7 or so. Always gave test rides to people with cash and an endorsement. It has gone well every time but one. On the one, the guy dropped the bike on the test ride. He bought it, no argument, since that was the deal.

madvlad
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 08:55 PM
T
LOL!

@Vlad Well, good to know that's one of the reasons..
There was one guy who wouldn't allow testing (didn't have inspection done like u said) and when I didn't buy it, he rode off and the bike sounded like shit.

Yea its a tough call since you have the chance of getting ripped off, mainly being a girl (not being sexist or anything) but women tend to get ripped off by shops, small shops, private sellers and such unfortunately but glad you weren't a victim on that one. Some years back my mom took her SUV to Grease Monkey to get an oil change done. They convinced her to get air filter, tire rotation, wiper blades along with that so bill was over $100 for sure but can't remember exactly. Anywho, when I checked out the car they hadn't even done the oil change so went back and ripped them a new one. Manager tells me "oh, how does a kid like you know what you are talking about?" And I said well for starters podunk places like these don't carry OEM parts you moron, so if you did do the work where is the off branded air and oil filter? Also showed him the oil and it was like chocolate syrup (my mom doesnt take care of her car really which is why I do now) so the tech was fired and about 10 costumers at the time walked out too. I try to somewhat instruct females in my family what to look for so they don't get ripped off.

biikChiQ
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 09:50 PM
That's nice you take care of ur moms car lol, wished my lousy brothers would do the same for my mom.
But what you say holds true, I see it too. My mom had an incident where she knew she needed her wheels balanced, so she went into Discount Tire. Sat there and waited until they got done. She went home and it still felt the same.. so she took it back and spoke to the manager and found out that the workers never even touched my mom's car. Pretty ridiculous that women get jipped when it comes to things like this.

madvlad
Sat Feb 4th, 2012, 10:27 PM
It's the least I can do, I love my mama! Haha... Yea pretty unfair for sure and this dude probably thought you were going to just buy it cause he sells it and you're a girl lol...

Anyways sorry about the off topic deal there, hope you figure it out and the sale goes smoothly.

Frankie675
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Just watch out for mayhem!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CG5HozkvAc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Airreed
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Like ASP stated get a feel of the person; if they show up with gear that's a positive indicator. If they are buying their first bike, let them follow you on the bike or have someone they know ride it to get a feel of the bike.

I would not buy a bike that I could not test ride...what is the buyer hiding is the first thing that comes to my mind. Also, selling a buy is already tough, so not try to piss off a potential buyer.

laspariahs
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Like ASP stated get a feel of the person; if they show up with gear that's a positive indicator. If they are buying their first bike, let them follow you on the bike or have someone they know ride it to get a feel of the bike.

I would not buy a bike that I could not test ride...what is the buyer hiding is the first thing that comes to my mind. Also, selling a buy is already tough, so not try to piss off a potential buyer.

I guess where a lot of my worry is coming from, is their emails, they don't seem capable of proper spelling and or grammar which, well it bothers me. Also had they shown up and asked for a test ride, instead of making a time to come and then not coming because they knew they wouldn't be able to ride it because of the weather. I guess the assumption bothers me a little, that with the lack of spelling and grammar.

I think that I'll have to wait and see what they are like in person.

Ol'Skool
Sun Feb 5th, 2012, 03:37 PM
If possible, meet at a large open parking lot. Everyone is easily visible and they can put the bike through a few gears. Take friends with you. Unless you know the seller be extremely cautious about showing the bike from your residence. First impressions/gut feelings do work. If four teens pour out of a $200 civic with a $300 muffler, ride away.

mastap07
Mon Feb 6th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Just watch out for mayhem!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CG5HozkvAc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

love that commercial!

if they had cash in hand, they need to put it in your hand before the test ride. if not they can start it all they want. written agreements are best fo sho.

Xtremjeepn
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Liability Insurance coverage in Colorado follows the driver, not the bike.

Check to see that they have current proof of insurance in their name for the car they drove there. Then let them ride!

If they crash it you are covered exactly the same as them running it over with thier car. Either way, you get paid.