PDA

View Full Version : Dana White Told Me to Switch to DirecTV

bulldog
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Dana White Told Me to Switch to DirecTV and I had to listen :lol: Stupid for Comcast to not offer FuelTV; I wrote them, talked to them, pleaded and they told me they had no plans to offer the channel. I already missed a few UFC prelims, so pulled the trigger and switched.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/27025/with-fuel-tv-contracts-stunting-growth-ufc-boss-advises-switch-to-directv.mma

I hope it works out for me. I've heard the picture quality is better, plus got one of those sweat deals for the first year. Yes I know I am in a contract for 2 years now, but they allow me to drop down my package after the first promotional deal ends.

I am officially a hardcore UFC fan now!!!! :D Anyone that thinks that UFC cannot affect a channel, they need to research how UFC saved SpikeTV back in the day; and look how much that channel has grown since then. I bet they do the same with FuelTV now.

Mother Goose
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I've had DirecTV for a while now and I love it. :up: I still have my internets through Comcast, or whatever they're called now.

bulldog
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I've had DirecTV for a while now and I love it. :up: I still have my internets through Comcast, or whatever they're called now. So when you switched to Directv did your Comcast internet charges go up? Mine is at $45 a month now, but sure that is with a bundling discount.

Debating to keep Comcast internet.

Mother Goose
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 09:49 AM
So when you switched to Directv did your Comcast internet charges go up? Mine is at $45 a month now, but sure that is with a bundling discount.

Debating to keep Comcast internet.
My discount was already up, so no, it didn't change.

bulldog
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 09:58 AM
My discount was already up, so no, it didn't change. You pay more than $45. You can PM if you don't want it public

Ricky
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I thought Comcast was great until I got DirecTV. DirecTV has a clearer picture than Comcast (I think better than Dish Network too), and has fewer cutouts than Comcast ever did. Comcast had the better on demand stuff, but DirecTV is catching up.

The only reason I even switched is because I wanted COmcast to lock me into a lower rate for a longer period of time (6 months to a year), and they refused. I was tired of calling every 3 months and begging for a $20 discount after being a customer for 7 years straight. After my 2 year contract is up, I will have saved nearly $1500 over the same period had I stayed with Comcast, and with DirecTV I have all channels, where with Comcast I only had 2 movie channels. Better deal all around.

bulldog
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I thought Comcast was great until I got DirecTV. DirecTV has a clearer picture than Comcast (I think better than Dish Network too), and has fewer cutouts than Comcast ever did. Comcast had the better on demand stuff, but DirecTV is catching up.

The only reason I even switched is because I wanted COmcast to lock me into a lower rate for a longer period of time (6 months to a year), and they refused. I was tired of calling every 3 months and begging for a $20 discount after being a customer for 7 years straight. After my 2 year contract is up, I will have saved nearly $1500 over the same period had I stayed with Comcast, and with DirecTV I have all channels, where with Comcast I only had 2 movie channels. Better deal all around. Nice good to hear! I know you are all about picture quality and motion blur so if you say the picture qaulity is better I am really happy! I know this new tv shows the slightest impovement, so I am looking foward to it.

I was in the same boat. For the last two years I have to call them and they do something for 6 mnths, then back to paying like $160 a month.

Just wish there were better options for internet. Who do you have Ricky? Any idea if I can route my comcast email (I was dumb and used that to set up many online logins/bill pays) to a new one?

Jmetz
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Damn.. I only pay $20 a month. Of course I only have super basic cable, but that's what the internet is for..

3D
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I switched to Dish Network because they offered me a cheaper price than what Direct T.V. had going, but I also kept my internet with comcast. Only pay $25/month for internet now. It was supposed to be for only 6 months, but all you have to do is call them when it's supposed to expire and tell them you are switching to another provider and they will keep it at $25 to keep you as a customer.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Dish Network is the best, hands down. We have had it for sixteen years, now. If you need me to explain why Dish is best, then you deserve to pay the higher prices for a shitty picture and less channels!!

The only reason I would consider Direct, is for the Football Ticket thingamajig they have. Since we don't give a shit about football and would rather have more HD channels, Dish rules!! Much cheaper, too!!

BTW Ricky - How can Direct have a better picture than Dish? They are both digital 1080...

bulldog
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I switched to Dish Network because they offered me a cheaper price than what Direct T.V. had going, but I also kept my internet with comcast. Only pay $25/month for internet now. It was supposed to be for only 6 months, but all you have to do is call them when it's supposed to expire and tell them you are switching to another provider and they will keep it at $25 to keep you as a customer. Nice this is what I am going for....thanks :up:

Damn.. I only pay $20 a month. Of course I only have super basic cable, but that's what the internet is for.. Your "thriftness" never stops amazing me Josh! :lol: I hate regular definition TV and rarely, if ever, use it. I'd gladly pay more to get better quality. Plus a DVR is almost a must nowadays....pays for itself in time. Why take 1 hr to watch a show when I can skip comercials and watch it in 40 mins.

Dish Network is the best, hands down. We have had it for sixteen years, now. If you need me to explain why Dish is best, then you deserve to pay the higher prices for a shitty picture and less channels!!

The only reason I would consider Direct, is for the Football Ticket thingamajig they have. Since we don't give a shit about football and would rather have more HD channels, Dish rules!! Much cheaper, too!!

BTW Ricky - How can Direct have a better picture than Dish? They are both digital 1080... Wait you have had the same service for 16 years, but you know it is the best? :dunno: Just seem it would be hard to say that if you haven't jumped around in the last 16 years! Was HD even offered 16 years ago!

birchyboy
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I'd like to try dish out but I don't like the idea of the contract. I think they could offer the same product, without a contract, for another $5 month and they'd have a huge increase in customers.

Jmetz
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Your "thriftness" never stops amazing me Josh! :lol: I hate regular definition TV and rarely, if ever, use it. I'd gladly pay more to get better quality. Plus a DVR is almost a must nowadays....pays for itself in time. Why take 1 hr to watch a show when I can skip comercials and watch it in 40 mins.

:) I download most of the shows I watch so I still get HD and commercial free.

P.S. How does a DVR pay for itself as it neither saves nor makes you money?

~Barn~
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 04:08 PM
If Nate's time were a drug, he'd sell it by the gram.

[/Vanilla Ice]

bulldog
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 04:09 PM
:) I download most of the shows I watch so I still get HD and commercial free.

P.S. How does a DVR pay for itself as it neither saves nor makes you money? Time is money fool!

Jmetz
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Ahh. I've got more time then money so my thinking is reversed.

rforsythe
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 04:22 PM
BTW Ricky - How can Direct have a better picture than Dish? They are both digital 1080...

So is Comcast, and yet we have (much) better picture on satellite. They all probably compress the signals differently. I do know our DirecTV is far better than Comcast ever was, and seems on par with Dish at least when I watch that on other peoples' TV's. Obviously I can't compare them side by side.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Wait you have had the same service for 16 years, but you know it is the best? :dunno: Just seem it would be hard to say that if you haven't jumped around in the last 16 years! Was HD even offered 16 years ago!Definitely a valid assumption, however, completely wrong. I have Dish in one room and Comcast (half the channels have lines rolling through them) in another. Even if I didn't, do you think I never make it out of the house and see another type of service at, maybe, a friends house. BTW - I love commas!!! Therefore, I have never switched, because I started with the best. Just like our Verizon phones. We've had them for about sixteen years as well. Never switched because when we'd be out on the boat or out rock climbing, our phones always worked and other peoples didn't. Definitely pay more for Verizon, though!!

Oh yeah... there was no HD sixteen years ago, but Dish still had the best prices for the most channels. Even waaaay back then.

Give me a shout when you get a chance, Naters...

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 04:29 PM
So is Comcast, and yet we have (much) better picture on satellite. They all probably compress the signals differently. I do know our DirecTV is far better than Comcast ever was, and seems on par with Dish at least when I watch that on other peoples' TV's. Obviously I can't compare them side by side.True. I guess it has to do with Comcast running through millions of miles of wires. The channels seem to have those "ground-loop" lines rolling through the picture.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I got Comcast because the satellite companies made sure that my DVD-R will not work with their service. As such, I have no use for them as long as they have that mentality. I want the ability to record my MotoGP and F1 races, and anything else, without having to "pay" for their service and even then not be able to record to a DVD. Piss on 'em.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Feb 8th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I got Comcast because the satellite companies made sure that my DVD-R will not work with their service. As such, I have no use for them as long as they have that mentality. I want the ability to record my MotoGP and F1 races, and anything else, without having to "pay" for their service and even then not be able to record to a DVD. Piss on 'em.

Problem solved for $99

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Roku_XDS_with_Remote.jpg/800px-Roku_XDS_with_Remote.jpg

http://www.roku.com/roku-products

Ghosty
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I will never go back to Comcast, their customer support was the worst I've ever experienced. They actually blamed my house wiring (and we had 6 tech visits) before they figured out the entire neighborhood had issues and finally fixed it, took two months! DirecTV HD is ridiculously awesome quality and selection of channels. On a 1080p DLP, some Discovery nature shows look frickin' REAL. Sports are off the hook too, NFL, NBA, MLB, racing, car auctions, whatever. Also, we got Qwest DSL at 20mb and it SCREAMS and is never down, and excellent customer service. I spit on Comcast, fuck those hacks, lol.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Problem solved for $99

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Roku_XDS_with_Remote.jpg/800px-Roku_XDS_with_Remote.jpg

http://www.roku.com/roku-products
Ahhhh, I don't have a TV it will work with and I don't have a PC or internet. Ah well..

bulldog
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Ahh. I've got more time then money so my thinking is reversed. Come with me to the gym homey! It will keep you busy at least three nights a week!

Definitely a valid assumption, however, completely wrong. I have Dish in one room and Comcast (half the channels have lines rolling through them) in another. Even if I didn't, do you think I never make it out of the house and see another type of service at, maybe, a friends house. BTW - I love commas!!! Therefore, I have never switched, because I started with the best. Just like our Verizon phones. We've had them for about sixteen years as well. Never switched because when we'd be out on the boat or out rock climbing, our phones always worked and other peoples didn't. Definitely pay more for Verizon, though!!

Oh yeah... there was no HD sixteen years ago, but Dish still had the best prices for the most channels. Even waaaay back then.

Give me a shout when you get a chance, Naters... Oh ok I see, didn't even know you could have two cable providers in one house...I will then take your opinion as valid :D

I've actually never tried Dish...maybe in two years now that they locked me into a contract :| I don't think Dish has FuelTV in HD though, so that would sway be but by then I would hope they would.

Still crazy that a sport like MMA can change a channel so much...just shows how far it has come :up: FuelTV was the lowest rated channel on Directv and just since UFC came on it it has elevated already!

bulldog
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Got DirecTV installed yesterday and there is a huge improvement on picture quality over Comcast!!! Especially with the 260hz LED tv I recently got!

Still trying to figure everything out since I was with Comcast for over 5 years and am use to their remote, DVR, service.

bluedogok
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I've had DirecTV for a while now and I love it. :up: I still have my internets through Comcast, or whatever they're called now.
That is what we did, I have had Directv for 12 years, I went to Directv because the old, overhead cable lines in my OKC neighborhood would lose the signal whenever the wind blew and that was an almost constant thing in Oklahoma. I will stick with Directv since have NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings and NHL Center Ice. I will drop Center Ice after the season since I had it to watch Avs games when I lived in Oklahoma and Texas. We went with Comcast for internet, we had Time Warner Cable in Austin.

It has to do with bandwidth and how much a signal is compressed. All of the cable/sat providers compress the signals to some extent, the only uncompressed HD signal is OTA that you get with an antenna. Since both Directv and Dish launched new satellites in recent years the bandwidth issues they had at the beginning of the HD transition have mostly gone away. It is a bit harder to tell the picture quality difference between Directv and Dish than it was in the past.

longrider
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 06:43 PM
It has to do with bandwidth and how much a signal is compressed. All of the cable/sat providers compress the signals to some extent, the only uncompressed HD signal is OTA that you get with an antenna. Since both Directv and Dish launched new satellites in recent years the bandwidth issues they had at the beginning of the HD transition have mostly gone away. It is a bit harder to tell the picture quality difference between Directv and Dish than it was in the past.

Sorry, I have to comment here. ALL HD broadcasts are compressed, a 1080i uncompressed signal is about 1.5 Gb/sec. The ATSC broadcast standard is 19.4 Mb/sec however as most broadcasters multiplex subchannels the available bandwidth for the main HD signal is usually in the 14/15 Mb range, sometimes less. DirecTV uses the more efficient MPEG4 compression so they can get a good signal out of around 10 Mb. As you can see there are a lot of variables but I will agree that DirecTV has the best HD signals of any pay TV provider. OTA can be better but not always, actually in limited situations DirecTVs signal is better as the broadcast station provides a direct fiber feed from the control room to DirecTV while the broadcast signal is multiplexed and therefore compressed more.

Filo
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 08:40 PM
No cable, no dish. Big ass antenna up in the attic. I watch TV maybe once every 2 weeks, and then I wish for that hour of my life back when I am done. I guess I am just a Luddite.

bulldog
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Paying off already! Tonight is a free UFC Card which is shown only on FuelTV. Headliner Diego Sanchez vs Ellenberger (and a bunch more) http://www.ufc.com/event/UFCFUEL1#/fight

UFC is really pushing FuelTV and another one of his tricks to get peope to leave Comcast!!!

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 08:37 AM
...DirecTV uses the more efficient MPEG4 compression....
So does Dish...

Give me a shout when you get a chance, Naters...
BTW Nate - You never got a hold of me. Kim works with an MMA fighter and I had some hook-ups for ya...

bulldog
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 08:41 AM
So does Dish...

BTW Nate - You never got a hold of me. Kim works with an MMA fighter and I had some hook-ups for ya... Sorry man, I have been sick for like two weeks; had the flu, was better for 4 days and then got a bad chest congestion mixed with my asthma that almost stopped me from breathing. I've barely been alive lately and my life has felt like a dream for the last two weeks, so hard to tell what has been real or dream.

Ghosty
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 08:46 AM
...another one of his tricks to get peope to leave Comcast!!!
Who's tricks?

bulldog
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Who's tricks?
Zuffa/UFC (aka Dana White). UFC saved SpikeTV from going under with their “Ultimate Fighter” show years back. Make a long story short and from what the public knows SpikeTV years later went to raise the rates for UFC, but Dana White threatened to start his own network if they did. Seems like they called his bluff, so Dana White instead went with Fox and moved all the UFC shows to them. Many main fights will now be aired (and already have) on Fox, FX, and FuelTV; including Spikes’s # 1 shows The Ultimate Fighter. In this all Dana White has also been fighting with Comcast to bring on FuelTV, but they have stated they would not bring that channel to their lineup. Since Comcast was unwilling to work with him he is now putting more and more UFC events on FuelTV, which Comcast does not offer. Many UFC fans, like myself, are switching to DirecTV so we can watch the UFC shows; for example he is showing this free Fight Card tonight on FuelTV and even put the weigh-ins on it yesterday. Many of the UFC prelims fights are also only aired on FuelTV.

Ghosty
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Oh sweet! I didn't know Comcast doesn't have Fuel channel.

We'll never get off DirecTV because of NFL ticket. Every year they try to charge some crazy amount, I tell them no thanks we'll pass this year, then she'll get her "supervisor" on the line, who then offers it to me for half-price, every year, hahaa. Too easy.

bulldog
Fri Feb 17th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Well results are out! http://mmajunkie.com/news/27470/ufc-on-fuel-tv-1-ratings-debut-event-scores-217000-viewers.mma

UFC on FUEL TV 1 # ratings: Debut event scores 217,000 viewers Wednesday's UFC on FUEL TV 1 event drew 217,000 viewers.

That's a new live-event record for FUEL TV

UFC Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!