PDA

View Full Version : GoPro HD Hero vs GoPro HD Hero2

johne303
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Hero 2 worth the extra $100?

Slo
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 10:01 AM
<---would like to know as well, in case I go with gopro.

Stank Juic3
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 01:18 PM
No

fasterlaster
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I've been looking at these for a bit myself. I find it hard to compare since most stores have the damn things locked up. One difference I did observe many people across the web mentioning that the Hero2 was easier to use from a user interface. Obviously it's better video capture specs, but how applicable that is to my needs still is up for grabs.

Ghosty
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 03:02 PM
No
Can you expand on that?

asp_125
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I have the Hero. For what it is it's good. The Hero2 has better specs but the buttons are still the same.

It still is pretty clunky to turn on/off while moving. A nice slider or toggle switch wouldn't be too much to ask for would it?

sfarson
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I may opt for the GoPro 2 later in the year, but from my experience with cam upgrades (more vivid, sharper recordings!, etc.), is a video editing program can do wonders "upgrading" the quality of a recording.

sag
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 03:48 PM
friend a dealer cause unit cost on the hero2 motorsports is $195 ;)

buddahson
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I would get a Hero2. I like the idea of the 1 sec photo capture and its 8mp I think. The best my standard HD Hero will do is 2 sec captures at 5mp. Also, the Hero2 has or will have the ability to wirelessly interface with iphones and android phones. You will be able to live view your recording so you can tell if your lined up properly and play back the video on the phone without a PC. I think those features require a backpack though.

rfranks303
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Look up the go pro wifi backpack. You get more options with it if you have the hero2

asp_125
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I got the backpack with my std Hero HD. It helps with lining up the shot but it's still hard to see in bright sun if it's on or not. Now the WiFi back... that might be interesting especially if it has remote on/off capabilities.

johne303
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I have the Hero. For what it is it's good. The Hero2 has better specs but the buttons are still the same.

It still is pretty clunky to turn on/off while moving. A nice slider or toggle switch wouldn't be too much to ask for would it?

According to Performance Cycle, GoPro will be releasing a wireless remote that goes around your wrist in about a month to turn on/off, etc.

I went ahead and got the GoPro HD Hero. I don't think the new the 2 is worth the extra $100. I will use the one I got now until the Hero 3 comes out :)

johne303
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Anyone here have extra adhesive mounts laying around? I need a few more if you're not using it

Clovis
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Bestbuy sells them in packs for like $20

johne303
Sat Feb 11th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Bestbuy sells them in packs for like $20

I plan on doing so but it wouldn't hurt to ask right?

Clovis
Sat Feb 11th, 2012, 02:19 AM
I was just letting you know :)

I've found the helmet mounting works the best for overall viability and stability.

Mounting on the bike directly produces a lot of vibrations all though I've read that Ram Mounts absorb a lot of the vibration for a smoother video. Presumably because they use a rubber ball joint.

johne303
Sat Feb 11th, 2012, 03:07 AM
I was just letting you know :)

I've found the helmet mounting works the best for overall viability and stability.

Mounting on the bike directly produces a lot of vibrations all though I've read that Ram Mounts absorb a lot of the vibration for a smoother video. Presumably because they use a rubber ball joint.

Where do you mount yours on the helmet? I've seen it done on top, side or even near the chin area

Clovis
Sat Feb 11th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I mounted mine on the side around where my ear is. I wanted to mount it on my chin but my helmet is curved too much, even for the curve mounts.

I used the curve mounts for the side mount.

Ghosty
Sat Feb 11th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I may opt for the GoPro 2 later in the year, but from my experience with cam upgrades (more vivid, sharper recordings!, etc.), is a video editing program can do wonders "upgrading" the quality of a recording.
What video software do you use or recommend in the cheaper range? I'm thinking of picking up Vegas for around $100 on eBay. I have a PC (not Mac), and avoid Quicktime whenever possible.

sfarson
Sat Feb 11th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Yes, Vegas. Outstanding software and not that difficult to learn. It can bring dull vids to life, enhance them in notable ways, has all kinds of features and tricks, and it works with just about any video file, including the formats from the GoPro and Contour.

Clovis
Sat Feb 11th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I've used Vegas on and off for the last 7 years or so.

It's easy enough to figure out the basics all though it took me a few tries. Through the masking feature you can add explosions, lasers, ect and other special effects.

For anything you're trying to do, there's a how to tutorial (made by users) on YouTube.

Adobe after effects is another one. I downloaded that but haven't tried it out yet.

Torrent away!

Ghosty
Sat Feb 11th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys, I noticed Vegas Production Suite HD Platinum 11 on eBay for only $60! That's the latest right? Smokin' deal, normally costs $120 on the Sony site. Jumped on it, 'bout time I took adavantage of my GoPro this season.

The_Jackel
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 10:44 AM
+1 on Vegas. For the price its pretty amazing. I know a couple people that make very professional videos with 98% of it using Vegas movie studio. Yes it is very user friendly.

Aaron
Tue Feb 28th, 2012, 03:40 AM
I have a question about buying a GoPro also. Do they make or come with a 12v power adapter/cord? I'd like to use one as a dash camera of sorts for anytime I am riding or driving, but this could get quite expensive with using batteries. Thoughts?

Nvm quick google search says yes.