PDA

View Full Version : What would you do ?

Radek
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 10:04 PM
last night our neighbor woke us up with big noise . After about 10 minutes of loud noise he knocks on our door and screams "HELP I got shot ! ". We never opened door and just called police .I could see him from the window crawling on the ground and lots of blood .After about 15 minutes police came and found him and other guy death in his tub . He said later his cousin got in through window and shot him first , so he took gun from him and finished him .Then he came with gun asking for help at our door .He got back from hospital today

Sully
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 10:10 PM
last night our neighbor woke us up with big noise . After about 10 minutes of loud noise he knocks on our door and screams "HELP I got shot ! ". We never opened door and just called police .I could see him from the window crawling on the ground and lots of blood .After about 15 minutes police came and found him and other guy death in his tub . He said later his cousin got in through window and shot him first , so he took gun from him and finished him .Then he came with gun asking for help at our door .He got back from hospital today

What would I do? I would F*cking MOVE! .... uhm... what's the question?...

Wrider
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 10:17 PM
I'd have answered my door with gun in hand, cell phone dialed to 911 in my robe/pants pocket and gone from there.

I know my neighbors pretty well and know which ones I'd trust if they came to my door in the middle of the night and which ones I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire...

dapper
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I would write my neighbor a 'get well soon' card. :p

madvlad
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Thats a disfunctional family, thats what...

Nick_Ninja
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Man -- what crap. Better you than me. :down:

Clovis
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 11:02 PM
File a complaint with your HOA? Holy shit.

rfranks303
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 11:05 PM
I would like to say that I would have opened the door and helped him but....
I would like to say that if my son was home I would have done what you did but...
I don't really know, its one of those situations anybody can say what they think they would do but nobody really knows until they are put in that situation. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Clovis
Thu Feb 9th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Is this the story? (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19919181)

Denver police are investigating a homicide after a man apparently shot and killed an intruder in his home early this morning.

Around 2:20 a.m. officers were called to a home located at 3469 W. Ninth Ave., on a report of a shooting, said Sonny Jackson, spokesman for the Denver Police Department.
After arriving, officers found two men inside the home with what appeared to be gunshot wounds.

Further investigation revealed that the resident of the home woke up and found the alleged intruder. The resident and intruder struggled over a gun before several shots were fired.

The intruder was pronounced dead at the home.
The resident was taken to a nearby hospital with wounds to his lower body. His injuries are not life threatening.

Their names have not been released but it appears that the two knew each other.
Jordan Steffen: 303-954-1794 or jsteffen@denverpost.com

Squisha
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I'm a little paranoid by nature (stoked to a rage from time to time by the meth-head feeb living next door), so I'm not going to open the door for anyone I don't know.

Living next door to me (in itself) is not sufficient to place someone in the "someone I know" category. I have a neighbor or two that I do know, and I would open the door for them--but they would probably call or text me if they needed my help.

If you want to know if you did the right thing in not opening the door, IMHO, yes.
You called 911, as you should.

Frankie675
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Lol I got see the cops kill a guy infront of his wife over at sloans lake. After living in on the outer skirts of your neighborhood and doing comcast over there for quite a while I would gtfo asap!

Jmetz
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 07:27 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MKLtPE9Rs7Y/Tmj9qXoNpMI/AAAAAAAAAgs/ASS7ADkDkrY/s1600/clint.jpg

dirkterrell
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Then he came with gun asking for help at our door .He got back from hospital today

You did the right thing.

modette99
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I assume CO doe snot have a law that pretty much states you need to provide aid if someone comes to your door?

Some places do you know...I can think of NYC off the top of my mind. This came about in NYC in the 80's I believe it was do to people needing help like this guy and people turning a blind eye....so you could be charged there for how you handled it. Not saying you did wrong...but yeah, I probably tell him to toss the gun (seeing as he shot the other guy, and then open the door).

Radek
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 08:48 AM
we about to go purchase couple shotguns today

TFOGGuys
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I assume CO doe snot have a law that pretty much states you need to provide aid if someone comes to your door?

Some places do you know...I can think of NYC off the top of my mind. This came about in NYC in the 80's I believe it was do to people needing help like this guy and people turning a blind eye....so you could be charged there for how you handled it. Not saying you did wrong...but yeah, I probably tell him to toss the gun (seeing as he shot the other guy, and then open the door).

I know my neighbors. I'm not opening the door for anyone bleeding and carrying a gun. When our neighbor's house caught fire, we went over, helped them get out with their dogs, and sheltered them while the firefighters did their thing.

BTW: Fuck New York City. I can't think of a single reason to save that shithole from what they've done to themselves over the last 150 years.

Ghosty
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I'd have answered my door with gun in hand, cell phone dialed to 911 in my robe/pants pocket and gone from there.
Right on, same here. Unless I actually knew the neighbor personally. Btw, I love Colorado's "Make my day" law, that should be put in place nationwide.

<Edit:>
Wait nevermind, I didn't know he had a gun in his hand. If I saw that, I'd move back further into my house, around the corner, with my gun still pointed at the door in case they tried to get in, all while still on the phone with 911.

bulldog
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 09:30 AM
At first I read this and was like "dang what a asshole for not helping the guy out", but then I got to the part where the guy had a gun in his hand and that changed it. I don't think I would answer the door for ANYONE that had a gun (minus a cop).

All and all I guess it sucks nowadays that it is such a risk to help people, but with these stories of people asking for help then finding out it is some setup to get you where they can rob you or kidnap you makes it change.

As others say it would depend on the neighbor. One of my next door neighbors of mine has become a friend over the years so I would trust him (well astill probably not if he had a gun in his hand).

Clovis
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 10:15 AM
True story, that's how Sienfield ended ;)

#1Townie
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 10:41 AM
wow this just helps prove my point that this state is a bunch of fucking bitchs. really bro? your neighbor is begging for help and you dont even go out to help? you didnt hear the shots? do you not know what shots sound like?

think of it this way bro what would you want others to do for you if you found yourself in the same situation. would want them to ignore gun shots coming from your house? just hide behind their door as you bleed out? how would you have felt if you had just faught off a inturder but youre scared thinking you about to bleed out? how would you feel as you got to your neighbors house and all they did was hide behind a phone and a door?

pathetic is the only word i can i find for this. keep hiding in your bubble.

Clovis
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 10:47 AM
You hear gun shots at 2 in the morning and the next thing you know some guy is banging on your front door with a gun.

I wouldn't open either, for all you know it's someone that just killed your neighbor and wants to do the same to you.

I love how people not in that situation pass judgement on what he "should have done" without having been there.

wow this just helps prove my point that this state is a bunch of fucking bitchs. really bro? your neighbor is begging for help and you dont even go out to help? you didnt hear the shots? do you not know what shots sound like?

think of it this way bro what would you want others to do for you if you found yourself in the same situation. would want them to ignore gun shots coming from your house? just hide behind their door as you bleed out? how would you have felt if you had just faught off a inturder but youre scared thinking you about to bleed out? how would you feel as you got to your neighbors house and all they did was hide behind a phone and a door?

pathetic is the only word i can i find for this. keep hiding in your bubble.

Sleev
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I would've helped him if I knew and trusted him.
That being said, there's only one of my neighbors I know and trust.

bulldog
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Not to throw a flame in this, but there may have been a chance to save the guys life if you would have acted. It is hard to compress a wound yourself, but another person can.

birchyboy
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Not to throw a flame in this, but there may have been a chance to save the guys life if you would have acted. It is hard to compress a wound yourself, but another person can.

It sounds like the intruder died but the neighbor did not. Did you want him to run over and try to save the intruder?

I may have read it wrong though....

spdu4ia
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 11:35 AM
The guy at his door didnt' die if I read it correctly. *Edit* ^ i've been Ninja'd

bulldog
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 11:41 AM
"I could see him from the window crawling on the ground and lots of blood. After about 15 minutes police came and found him and other guy death in his tub"

I am just going by what he posted...didn't read the actual article

But yeah he did say the guy came back from the hospital! Guess there were three guys then?

sprtbkbabe
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 11:55 AM
"Well, in any major city, minding your own business is a science. First thing they teach women in rape prevention is never cry for help. Always yell 'fire'. Nobody answers to 'help'. You holler 'fire', they come running." - from the movie Se7en

You> :slap: <Neighbour... ;)

#1Townie
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM
You hear gun shots at 2 in the morning and the next thing you know some guy is banging on your front door with a gun.

I wouldn't open either, for all you know it's someone that just killed your neighbor and wants to do the same to you.

I love how people not in that situation pass judgement on what he "should have done" without having been there.

is that right? you seem to know what i have and have not been in.

lets get into detail here. first if all he is going to do is call the cops then he should have done so when he heard the first shot. but no he cowerd in his home. second he even stated he sat around and listened to this for ten min. TEN MIN!! thats a life time when you are in a fight for your life. something i dont think YOU would know anything about. third he looked out the window after hearing his neighbor cry for help. HIS NEIGHBOR CRY FOR HELP! i know what my neighbors sound like. im not a coward. if i hear someone cry for help i will help them. i dont what the situation is. gun no gun. one or multiple. if you think that is a fake statement coming from some wanna be tough guy i can easly give you a number to a cop to back up my storys on taking action. i have stoped people from braking into cars. no i didnt just call the cops and hide while i did it. i fucking stoped them. one night out working i watched a car blow a red light and wipe into a curb. i then watched him take off running and chased him down. i got that guy too. turns out he had just beat his wife damn near to death and was running from the cops and was getting away. i was the important fact of grabing him before he disapeared into the night. then checking on a friends house for him caught 4 kids braking into his shit. one started a fight with me and i held him down till the cops got their.

also i have had more then my far share of gun run ins. first off its not the movie. this isnt compten we are talking about. its your neighbor who has been shot and needs help. A HUMAN NEEDED HELP!! fuck the situation. i act becouse i hope to god if i find myself in a bad situation and needing help people will be there to help me.

Radek
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 12:39 PM
to just let everyone know we did not heard one single gun shot , what the story is out of police department is taboo

Radek
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 12:44 PM
in situations like this you must stay clever and think of all that can be happening outside .It was dark and i had no idea if that is my neighbor or just some drunk who is making up some story. By the way i have two small children still surrounding me at this time .

bulldog
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 12:55 PM
to just let everyone know we did not heard one single gun shot , what the story is out of police department is taboo Wait...so what was the "big noise" then? Not to be a dick, but I would think a gunshot right next door would have to be heard!

After about 10 minutes of loud noise he knocks on our door and screams

.It was dark and i had no idea if that is my neighbor or just some drunk who is making up some story.
So say you heard noise from your neighbor, heard his voice, and saw enough that he had a gun, but still didn't see it was your neighbor?

Wrider
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 01:01 PM
in situations like this you must stay clever and think of all that can be happening outside .It was dark and i had no idea if that is my neighbor or just some drunk who is making up some story. By the way i have two small children still surrounding me at this time .

See? At that point no way in hell would I have opened the door. In my situation, or living alone, I'd do as I said earlier, but if my kids are around, no way in hell.

I honestly think for the situation you did the right thing and I wouldn't have changed it...

#1Townie
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 01:08 PM
you mean in the situation of listening to a fight for ten min?? and doing nothing until it came to your door? what about those kids? why did you let it get to your door in the first place? dont hide behind them. thats wrong. i deal with people all day long that hide behind their kids. its the first part of making cantact with debtors. they behind their kids. ten min. your words. TEN MIN! thats alot of time for very bad things to happen. lets do the time line. you listened for ten min. after that you heard someone screaming for help. then you looked out the window and seen someone crawling through a puddle of their own blood? right. then the cops didnt shop for another 15. not a bad response time. not the greatest. so right around 30 min before help finally showed up. 30 MIN!! thats a long time. ever heard the rule of the golden hour?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hour_(medicine)

think about maybe saving a life. we all need a hero at some point in our lives. and i like to think we are all given the chance to do the same. be there for each other. dont just let someone bleed to death in front of your house. at this point in the fight you really think they are now coming over to your house to kill you? they are out screaming in the middle of a neighborhood at night. the idea of you turning into a victom at this point is moronic.

look help or dont help. i dont really care. just dont ask for peoples feelings if you dont want to hear what they will say. i will leave this thread to be after this post. part of why im good at repo is i can read people. deep down you know you didnt do what you wanted. its why you are seeking aproval. you where scared. thats cool. just admit to that. dont hide behind storys of what ifs and dont hide behind your kids. whats done is done. it cant be changed. we are who we are.

bulldog
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 01:42 PM
look help or dont help. i dont really care. just dont ask for peoples feelings if you dont want to hear what they will say. i will leave this thread to be after this post. part of why im good at repo is i can read people. deep down you know you didnt do what you wanted. its why you are seeking aproval. you where scared. thats cool. just admit to that. dont hide behind storys of what ifs and dont hide behind your kids. whats done is done. it cant be changed. we are who we are. +1
I am not going to lie; plus you put it out here for people to comment on. I think this is the real issue here. You were scared!!! Why help someone out when it may be risking your neck; people nowadays only worry about themselves it seems. You were ok with a guy dying as long as you and your family were safe.....bottom line. Some will say it is not a bad thing, but then "braver" people like Townie#1 may think you bitched out. Hey you asked how people thought....

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 01:46 PM
A guy at the door covered in blood with a gun in his hand...

How am I supposed to know if there isn't another guy outside taking aim at the guy at my door? I have dozens of "neighbors" in the complex but would only recognize the old couple on the first floor or the couple with the obese Lab on the first floor. Anyone else banging on my door at 2am, I'll arm myself and call 911.

powers
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Difficult to answer this after the fact:

Questions I would ask myself:

1. Who is in my house at the time? Once I leave, they would become vulnerable if something happened to me. My primary duty is to myself and loved ones and I wouldn't put them in jeopardy for anyone. Letting the person in the home, after disarming them, would put everyone in the house in danger. Trouble found this person and it will probably follow them.

2. Am I willing to go to jail to help my neighbor or the person needing help? What if you go outside, with a gun (I wouldn't have without one), and you are forced to stop the threat? You live in Denver, so you will go to jail at least for the night if you are outside your house and you shot someone. We don't have a castle doctrine in CO you are not protected outside your home!

It would be the right thing to do to help, but are you willing to pay the consequences? For me, if it was family or close friends no hesitation on my part. A women being raped? Yes, without question as I couldn't live with myself if I didn't and you will be judged by a jury of your peers, so there will be at least 1 good person to side with you.

bulldog
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM
What I don’t get it so many people on this board are all for the “make my day” law, but yet what seems like most are saying is we are for it and you should protect your house, but if you get hurt defending it in the process tough luck you are on your own till the cops/ambulance comes. For all we knew someone in his house was getting rapped or maybe they were taking his children and he needed help. Hard call and I see both sides, but dang the more I think about it could I really sit for 15 minutes watching a guy bleed out in front of my house and be ok with that. 15 minutes has to seem like forever to just watch someone dying…..

salsashark
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 02:06 PM
^^ Unfortunately, it's two separate issues.

The MMD law doesn't extend to your neighbors house. It's meant for the protection of your persons and property, not a justification for vigilantism.

Could I watch someone bleed out on my porch... I couldn't honestly answer that without being there.

Radek
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 02:10 PM
if we were out of town , who would call the 911?
hes girlfriend came next day to say thank you for calling 911 . Seems like more peoples need to put this number in them phones .

bulldog
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 02:15 PM
^^ Unfortunately, it's two separate issues.

The MMD law doesn't extend to your neighbors house. It's meant for the protection of your persons and property, not a justification for vigilantism.

Could I watch someone bleed out on my porch... I couldn't honestly answer that without being there. I didn't mean to go out there with your gun and play Ramboo, was meaning to go out and help to stop the bleeding; people can't live long bleeding out, but compression of the wound can help a lot

Ghosty
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I agree Clovis, wow, can't believe this guy is getting berated for not helping a stranger in the middle of the night with family in his house, etc. Calling 911 is plenty enough help, IMHO, WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE 100% OF THE DETAILS of why this bloody gun-weilding stranger is all about, his history (possibly criminal), etc. I'm all about good samaratin-ship in regular situations that definitely have no possibility of bringing harm to my family or myself, or my property for that matter. And yes I hear ya about "everyone needs a hero" once in their life, the golden hour, etc. That's all good, just prioritize properly. FAMILY FIRST, THEN good samaratin second...

I don't care if he's a neighbor, I only know a couple of mine, the rest I consider just as much un-verified-as-trustworthy STRANGERS as the next random weirdo in line at the grocery store I've never seen before.

P.S. There are cowardly bitches in EVERY state, but keeping your family safe is (or should be) your 100% priority, and I wouldn't consider that cowardly or being a bitch. If you're absolutely certain your family is safe first, THEN go on and help that stranger, at your own risk of course. Otherwise calling 911 is sufficient, imo.

P.P.S. Maybe I'm spoiled, (Thornton) cops seem to show up within just a couple minutes, the rare times we've called, or the many times I've seen our neighborhood bar call for help. Five minutes max one time.

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 02:49 PM
You never know...

In morning daylight, a good Samaritan is killed. No sign of blood or a gun... until...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyBCe8oIb6A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2who9bGkT4

#1Townie
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 03:49 PM
ok sorry i cant keep my mouth shut. that is all garbage. look fuck that you didnt give a shit and the rest of you dont care. you dont care. the safty of your familys?? come on. if where that scared for them you would have called a long time before someone came knocking. thats just bullshit. either you where concerned or you where not. you cant have it both ways?

if you care so much for your family why in the hell would you wait for something to show up to your door before you acted?? come on. how do you know that its going to stop at the door???? doors can be kicked in. fucking easy!!! but then again the average home is so easy to brake into it would probaly scare you guys. look i know alot of you read things on the internet about how this guy got hurt doing this or that. fact is there is a hell of alot more where people acted and saved the day. it just doesnt register the same.

look bottom line it comes down to if you are scared be scared. call the cops. do nothing. be the sheep. if you are a man then do the right thing. criminals dont call for help. the agressor in something doesnt call for help. fact is if they wanted in your home to hurt you and your family they wouldnt have started at your neighbors. think about it people. its simple logic. if i want to hurt you do you really think im going to make a big scene to try to wake you up and get you to come out of your home? i remind you i steal cars out of peoples drive ways. i steal for a living. i work legally and i dont try to draw attention. you really think people that doing things wrong are going to go out of their way to make it harder?

fact is the moment you had been woken you should have been on the defensive. trying to figure out what was going on. cracking a window to let you hear better. the fact that you missed a gun shot shows the world how you have it tuned out. gun shots in the night that close are loud as fuck. i know. ive been there. no people now days keep their heads down and dont care. as long as it doesnt affect me im not doing anything. that is EXACTLY what happened. didnt call the cops until the knock at the door. this is what is wrong with you people today.

Penadam
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Just a couple points:

A gunshot inside a house across the street, may or may not be that loud inside another house. Depends on where in the house it occurred and where the listener was in the other house.

If there was just one gunshot and it was the one that woke you up, you probably didn't hear it clearly. You might not have heard it clearly enough to identify it as a gunshot.

What if the guy who showed up on your door was being attacked, managed to get away but his attacker was chasing after him? Just because the situation wasn't bad then doesn't mean it couldn't have turned bad in an instant.

Ghosty
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Not trying be insulting, but you seem to like to throw out that anyone who didn't run out and help a bloody gun-wielding stranger is a scared coward weak sheep, LOL! That's incredibly closed-minded, and false, period.

You keep talking about this 10-minute delay thing. Since you weren't there, who knows what the OP ACTUALLY HEARD in those 10 minutes. What if it was a puny .22 behind closed doors on the opposite side of that neighbor's house, and you and your wife were passed out asleep, and to you it was nothing more than a car backfiring two streets away or maybe you just dreamt it, or maybe your cat jumped off a counter. Who cares, right?

I do agree with the following though, IF you really indeed heard what you know was something like a gunshot. THEN wake up and call 911, and be alert for anything amiss:

...fact is the moment you had been woken you should have been on the defensive. trying to figure out what was going on. cracking a window to let you hear better. the fact that you missed a gun shot shows the world how you have it tuned out. gun shots in the night that close are loud as fuck.

#1Townie
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 04:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=532eMRKfziI

heres the diffence. point blank.

it was not one shot. as stated. it was multiple. something wakes you in the night its time to figure what it is. is someone trying to get into my home. are my neighbors fighting? if so with who? themselves? someone trying to brake into my home or theirs? our cars? whats going on? you cant find out if you are in danger if you hide in your closet. not saying thats the case just in general. as a man its up to us to keep our family safe. not hide with them. i caught some guys going after my stunt bike one night. i acted. i act.

fact is the danger was over. some called for help and met a closed door. those are the facts. if this happened at 2am then the cops should have been called sooner. thats just common sense. waiting for it to come to your door is what sheel do. real men face the threat before it ever gets near their family. FACT.

Ghosty
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Ok, I need to re-read all the OP posts obviously because I might be missing some key ingredients. I'll respond later. ...Unless I'm busy, out chasing booze & skirts...

#1Townie
Fri Feb 10th, 2012, 05:12 PM
yeah im over it really. there are sheep and then there are the men that herd and keep the sheep safe. depends on who you want to be.

i will end this with this. pm me if you want to talk further. i will gladly bring myself down some for a simple conversation over trying to make a point.

Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared. ~Edward Vernon Rickenbacker