PDA

View Full Version : Changed out the chain and sprockets today...

Speedwagon
Sun Feb 12th, 2012, 08:48 PM
The rear sprocket was aluminum, and very worn. Replaced with a steel sprocket, and went from 46 to 43 teeth(I don't know what stock is).
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5U9YXavlgI0/TziGEblCm_I/AAAAAAAAAnM/G2tSBl461AU/s1024/IMAG0340.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q2W9DF0Yqvs/TziGsT4BUCI/AAAAAAAAAnU/pUjdwdPpYqI/s1024/IMAG0341.jpg

The old front sprocket was also very worn, and the nut that held it on the shaft was missing! The new sprocket is supposed to be 1 tooth more than stock, but I didn't count the teeth to know what the actual change is.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MeA33_vUE7A/TziHGg8S21I/AAAAAAAAAnc/GUjUa8DIN90/s1024/IMAG0342.jpg

New sprocket and chain on, but no nut!
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Sanwb-y-vrQ/TziHqOTw5jI/AAAAAAAAAnk/KbI1JrYgD6c/s640/IMAG0343.jpg

I expect the bike should be giving me way better torque now around town, at speeds I actually drive. I sure don't need to do 140+ on this thing.

Bueller
Sun Feb 12th, 2012, 09:02 PM
If you wanted torque you went the wrong direction, you wanted to go up in the rear and/or smaller in the front.

TFOGGuys
Sun Feb 12th, 2012, 09:45 PM
We did...Stock gearing was 16-42, we went 15-43...

willb003
Sun Feb 12th, 2012, 11:18 PM
How many miles on that sprocket and chain?

Speedwagon
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 12:34 AM
How many miles on that sprocket and chain?

Bike was purchased with 19k, now has 24k. This is what was on the bike when I got it.

Wrider
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Jeez... Only worse one I've seen was a guy with a 954 that came in complaining that "my clutch is slipping".
Guy had bought the bike 10K before with the seller warning him it needed a new chain and sprocket soon. His looked like yours, except that his had no sharp edges, it resembled a wave rotor more than a sprocket.
And to think! With another 1K you too could have had a custom wave rotor!

highpsi03
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 07:28 AM
God the countershaft nut was missing? Do you ever give the bike a lookover to make sure things are ok? Guess not. Not to mention the lock washer that you bend around the nut should have kept it on.

Speedwagon
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 08:42 AM
God the countershaft nut was missing? Do you ever give the bike a lookover to make sure things are ok? Guess not. Not to mention the lock washer that you bend around the nut should have kept it on.

Yeah, cuz I always remove all the covers on the engine and trans just to see things.

And yes, the washer should have... If the last person in there bent it, which they didn't!

The GECCO
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 09:06 AM
We did...Stock gearing was 16-42, we went 15-43...

From 14/46, yes? Should make it a bit easier to ride.

Any idea what caused the funky wear on the inside of the countershaft sprocket?

The GECCO
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Yeah, cuz I always remove all the covers on the engine and trans just to see things.

Not to be a dick, but every now and then its not a bad idea. You just found out why.

Speedwagon
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Not to be a dick, but every now and then its not a bad idea. You just found out why.

That might be true... but I had no reason to suspect there was a problem before. That, and this is my first chain driven bike, so having never done the chain and sprocket before, it wasn't something I was thinking of.

Of course, I'll know it's done properly this time, so I won't need to worry so much.

Speedwagon
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 09:12 AM
From 14/46, yes? Should make it a bit easier to ride.

Any idea what caused the funky wear on the inside of the countershaft sprocket?

I'm not sure, no. Both the front and rear sprocket has side wear(rear was on the inside). Maybe the rear wheel was tweaked a bit?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Jesus! That is the WORST set of worn sprockets I've EVER seen in about 30 years of riding. Missing the countershaft nut??? Count yourself lucky to be alive.

Mother Goose
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Hope you aren't riding it around with that nut off of there now. :shock: And you're going the wrong way if you're looking for more torque out of it.

dragos13
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Hope you aren't riding it around with that nut off of there now. :shock: And you're going the wrong way if you're looking for more torque out of it.

+1

Going up one in the front and down 3 in the rear is going to make your gearing MUCH taller than it was.

Bashed
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 02:51 PM

And yes, the washer should have... If the last person in there bent it, which they didn't!

The rear sprocket has no cover hiding the beyond worn unit.
I guess you will fault someone else for that lack of care and attention as well no?
You may blame others for your bikes condition all you want, but in the end it is you and yours responsiblity only.
This kind of thread happens at least once a year, and it always happens.
Next year will be no differance.
My wife gets after me for washing my bike often and thoughly. My reasoning behind this is to keep my stuff looking good, but to also catch the kind of problems your bike had before they become a problem that will kill me or others. I consider myself a fairly competant person reguarding motorcycle maintenance. But I have seen things on my bike that needed immediate attention even with due dilagence. Shit happens, nuts come loose, parts fall off, it's all gonna happen sooner or later. Might as will cut the odds into my favor.
Consider this a learning tool, nobodies perfect, put me at the top of the list.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I guess you will fault someone else for that lack of care and attention as well no?
You may blame others for your bikes condition all you want, but in the end it is you and yours responsiblity only.
+1

Speedwagon
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 05:21 PM
My wife gets after me for washing my bike often and thoughly. My reasoning behind this is to keep my stuff looking good, but to also catch the kind of problems your bike had before they become a problem that will kill me or others. I consider myself a fairly competant person reguarding motorcycle maintenance. But I have seen things on my bike that needed immediate attention even with due dilagence. Shit happens, nuts come loose, parts fall off, it's all gonna happen sooner or later. Might as will cut the odds into my favor.
Consider this a learning tool, nobodies perfect, put me at the top of the list.

Oh, I see. If I take the bike to a shop, and the engine falls out on the way home, it's my fault it fell out, because I didn't check everything they did? I expect people to bend tabs over when they should. The axle nuts on my cars never come loose. You know why? Because the tabs are bent over!

It's easy to say you should have checked this, or that, when you know all the maintenance a chain driven bike requires. But as I just said, this is my first chain bike. I knew the chain required lube, but without having prior knowledge, I had no idea what to look for in wear. Or that sprockets wear out.

I was just sharing my new found knowledge. If you don't like that people share this kind of a thing on an internet forum, well, you should find a new internet.

I do appreciate the info on gearing from everyone, but I didn't know what was on the bike. I had not been educated on the ins and outs of sprockets and chains. So I got what was recommended to me, by a knowledgeable person.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Oh, I see. If I take the bike to a shop, and the engine falls out on the way home, it's my fault it fell out, because I didn't check everything they did? I expect people to bend tabs over when they should. The axle nuts on my cars never come loose. You know why? Because the tabs are bent over!

It's easy to say you should have checked this, or that, when you know all the maintenance a chain driven bike requires. But as I just said, this is my first chain bike. I knew the chain required lube, but without having prior knowledge, I had no idea what to look for in wear. Or that sprockets wear out.

I was just sharing my new found knowledge. If you don't like that people share this kind of a thing on an internet forum, well, you should find a new internet.

I do appreciate the info on gearing from everyone, but I didn't know what was on the bike. I had not been educated on the ins and outs of sprockets and chains. So I got what was recommended to me, by a knowledgeable person.
We're just bustin' yer ballz a little. You've pwned a bicycle before, right? So, we figure you'd have at least a basic understanding of what a sprocket SHOULD look like. Sad to say, but if the previous owner was that big of an idiot, chances are, you'll be finding a LOT more stuff like that. Caveat emptor.

Best of luck, and, consider yourself lucky the chain didn't get thrown and kill you.

willb003
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I'm surprised that the chain did not just slip off the rear sprocket any time you gave it gas.

cbrjohnny
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Yeah,,, don’t sweat these guys that freak out on your lack of maintenance, it’s a learning experience. But I will say it is a good idea to attend a motorcycle maintenance seminar or something… I think someone in the club host one or two in the spring.
You don’t want to end up having some kind of mechanical problem out on a group ride if you can avoid it. You don’t want to hold others up and they wont want it either (all tho it happens to everyone at some point).
If your looking at doing some work on the bike or just have questions post em up (you will still get these kind of responses from the same peeps tho fair warning lol) and most of these guys will help or advise you.

And not everyone can afford to ride a brand new bike with free maintenance every season to two…or have a race crew or shop at their disposal. So keep yours up the best you can so it is a safe ride.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Oh, and, I hope you went with a steel front and at least a hard-anodized (not just color anodized) rear sprocket if you went with an al rear.

Speedwagon
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Steel front and rear. I didn't see a point in anything else on a street bike. And it did slip when I have it gas, that's why I stopped riding it. Didn't know what it was at first though. And I didn't put the pieces together, bicycle vs motorcycle sprocket. Clearly, I know better now though.

Bueller
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 07:14 AM

Bashed is only pointing out that it is your bike, and only you are responsible for it's maintenance.
You must also realize that putting it on the internet will invite responses you may not care for but if you re-read it you can't argue the points made. It is all part of the experiance.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Steel front and rear. I didn't see a point in anything else on a street bike. And it did slip when I have it gas, that's why I stopped riding it. Didn't know what it was at first though. And I didn't put the pieces together, bicycle vs motorcycle sprocket. Clearly, I know better now though.
A hard anodized Aluminum rear can last as long as a steel one, but as I mentioned, it has to be hard anodized (usually black), not just anodized. But, you can't go wrong with steel, my stock sprockets were steel, and they lasted about 25k miles.

Good luck with it.

dragos13
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Trust me we have all been there before. It's something you just gotta learn from. Don't get defensive about who to blame. Shit, one time we found the bolt for my swingarm was loose. This was on my race bike that I check over DAILY. It's going to happen and even though my mechanic caught it before I went out for practice, it is ultimately my responsibility (even though I would have still blamed him ;) )

RajunCajun
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Lots of dicks on this forum :eyebrows: but we,,,, I mean,,,those guys,,, just want to help you too, ya know. When I bought my first bike, I rode it for a while and then was told that I needed a new chain and sprockets. I was so excited to just HAVE a bike, I didn't go through and check things out like I should. It's pretty embarrassing but it's still something I did and learned from. When I went to buy a new chain, the douchebag at the shop said I didn't need a new rear sprocket so I didn't get one,,, even though ALL of my buds told me to. On about mile 14xx of a 15xx trip, the chain came off the rear at about 100mph, due to extreme and VERY FAST stretching. It ate through the engine casing and that was that. I learned that the old rear stretched the shit out of the chain because it wasn’t new and didn’t get the chance to “wear” with the chain. Luckily I'm not dead but I will NEVER make that kind of stupid mistake again. New chain equals 2 new sprockets. I’ll also clean the bike more, like was said earlier, and check while doing it. Like the saying goes,,,, CHECK IT OR WRECK IT!!!

Lessons learned....

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Trust me we have all been there before.
Well, maybe I'm the oddball then because I haven't. :)

But, it's all good advice. We'd rather bust your ballz then have to bury you later. ;)

Speedwagon
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Well, maybe I'm the oddball then because I haven't. :)

But, it's all good advice. We'd rather bust your ballz then have to bury you later. ;)

I'd prefer a ball busting to a burial too. :headbang:

Bashed
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I'd prefer a ball busting to a burial too. :headbang:

I would put $ down that from this day forward you will give your bike a look-see most times you head out this upcoming riding season due to this thread. I actually like to see forum members sharing, because from these type ball busting comments, people remember it and learn from it, hopefully.
So for this I thank you, as should the other members who are watching this thread, and maybe going out to the garage and taking a peek @ thier chain and sprockets.
I also take notice of the newbs motorcycles and riding gear on those first rides of the season. I have been know to show them chains looser than a french whore on Friday nite, bald tires ( in the center only of course), gushing fork seals onto thin front bike pads, missing bolts and fasteners, loose rearsets, shifters,brake levers and pedals, ect ect ect.
So don't take it personal, we just want every body to enjoy this sport for a long time. A few of us here have been riding sport bikes since they came to be in the mid to late eighties, longer than some riders age riding them today.
Experiance counts for something, although getting older I seem to be forgetting more than I remember lately.