PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Rates: R6 vs. Liter bikes

Ghosty
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 01:31 PM
This question was brought up in another thread, but I don't remember where. We were wondering how much more expensive liter bikes were to insure, so I called State Farm and wanted to report back. Assume the following vitals about the policy holder:

Adult (over 25), no accidents or tickets of any sort for 5+ years, multiple vehicle (discount), no other drivers are insured. Same company/agent for 10+ years. $250 deductible. This is for full-coverage, including comprehensive (theft/weather/etc.)

Current rate for my '05 R6: $207/6mos., or $35/mo.

<Edit, WRONG RATES!>

THESE are per YEAR, so cut rate in half:

'05 YZF-R1: $237/6, $40/mo.
'06 ZX10R: $273/6, $46/mo. (note: might be more because '06)
'05 GSXR1k: $262/6, $44/mo.
'05 CBR1kRR: $249/6, $42/mo.

Note: Required "Uninsured Motorist" coverage is on another vehicle on the same policy, so not required on the bike. It spreads across all vehicles in the household. Also includes "sunny-day driver" discount, (under 5000 miles/yr.?)

salsashark
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 01:38 PM
:wtf: you're getting hosed man...

I have State Farm and I pay $18/month for full coverage on my '10 Multistrada... Only difference is that I run a $500 deductible.

I've been with SF for 21 years. I'm on my 3rd agent. First one retired, second one died in an avalanche, third one's hanging in there but I'm getting tired of him calling me regarding my brother's car so I don't know how much longer he'll be around.

Mother Goose
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I'm 35, multiple vehicle, $500 deductible full coverage ($100,000/$300,000) on a 2008 Yamaha R1 @ $290/year, $24/month.

Ghosty
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 02:17 PM
:wtf: you're getting hosed man...

I have State Farm and I pay $18/month for full coverage on my '10 Multistrada... Only difference is that I run a $500 deductible.
Holy crap. Let me call mine, and ask how much your Duc would be on my policy. I'll ask about both $250 and $500 deductibles, and report back.

I'd like to know why I'm paying almost twice as much as you guys! :gay: Hope they're not raping me on my cars too...

~Barn~
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Progressive
- 34 years old
- RSV 1000 R Factory
- (2) Speeding tickets (2) Defective Vehicle citations in the past 3 years.
- SR22 filing [Coming off February, 2013]
- Full coverage with $1000 deductible.
- Uninsured Motorist
- Discounts include: Paid in Full, Multi-Policy, Paperless, MC Endorsement
Total for 12 months: $1375

Having the SR22 filing on this policy, dings me pretty good, but considerably less then it dings me, if I included it on my other (auto) policy instead, which Progressive only does in 6-month terms.

My auto policy has all of the above, minus the SR22 filing, but plus one more speeding ticket (Tanya's). The deductibles are the same and the vehicles covered are:
- Her Suburban LTZ
- My Suburban LT
- My Mazdaspeed6
- Discounts for: Multi-Policy, Paperless, Online Quote, 5 Yr Accident Free, Multi-Car, Continuous Insurance-(Diamond Level), Paid in Full.
Total for 6 months: $817.50

I'm thinking that we'd be well served, if she and I (mostly me), stopped getting traffic tickets! :lol:

asp_125
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Every time I hear you kids being raped by insurance, is why I love being old. Now git off mah lawn! :D

bulldog
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 03:27 PM
What is a SR22???

~Barn~
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 03:32 PM
It's just a government mandate that "The Man" likes to put on habitual line-steppers like me. Basically, it states that if I ever cancel my insurance (or allow it to lapse or whatever), my policy holder is obligated to notify the state, so that the state can then jail me, or fine me, or take away my license, or some combination of all of those things.

This is my 4th and final year of "needing" one. My bike policy premium will come down by about ~$400 when that happens. It's a bitch.

bulldog
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 03:34 PM
It's just a government mandate that "The Man" likes to put on habitual line-steppers like me. Basically, it states that if I ever cancel my insurance (or allow it to lapse or whatever), my policy holder is obligated to notify the state, so that the state can then jail me, or fine me, or take away my license, or some combination of all of those things.

This is my 4th and final year of "needing" one. My bike policy premium will come down by about ~$400 when that happens. It's a bitch. Dang...only you Barn! Never heard of that before....

~Barn~
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Yeah. Be glad that you've never heard of it before!

Before I got my new motorcycles, it was even more disgusting, because I had to have it on my auto policy, since it was my only one. It was basically doubling my 6-month premiums for a few years there. :banghead:

Getting married, adding Tanya and her truck, and buying the bike(s), actually kinda saved me money in a round-a-bout kinda way. Go figure.

Ghosty
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Not saying this is your case, but a lot of times an SR-22 is for habitual DUI, repeatedly getting caught without insurance, suspended license, etc. So in those severe cases, "the state" deems it necessary. I don't necessarily disagree with them on that, heheh.

As for the Multistrada, I'm guessing it's a combination of being married (discount), and the bike not being in the same (danger/risk/theft) class as crotch rockets I listed. I'll find out tomorrow, for a hypothetical Multistrada on my policy...

AOK303
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 04:46 PM
My 06 CBR1000 was 250 for the whole year 500 duct multi vehicles and one ticket past 3 years for state farm
You gettin stuffed unless you have zero credit

Ghosty
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I got 700+ credit, so that isn't it, well I don't think. I know they're also charging more than usual on my homeowners too. My mortgage broker told me I was paying 30% more than most people, eek. I need to start shopping around!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I have State Farm, and have for over 20 years. They've never raised my rate for any minor tickets, and have treated me well over the years.

~Barn~
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Not saying this is your case, but a lot of times an SR-22 is for habitual DUI, repeatedly getting caught without insurance, suspended license, etc. So in those severe cases, "the state" deems it necessary. I don't necessarily disagree with them on that, heheh. <Snip...>

Nor do I. If there's one particular way of thinking, that I've learned to change in my older years, it's that being able to take your medicine like a man, feels good.

Wrider
Mon Feb 13th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Holy crap. Let me call mine, and ask how much your Duc would be on my policy. I'll ask about both $250 and $500 deductibles, and report back.

I'd like to know why I'm paying almost twice as much as you guys! :gay: Hope they're not raping me on my cars too...

Out of curiosity, what do you pay for the Supra? Does your insurance cover the mods as well?

salsashark
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 07:34 AM
As for the Multistrada, I'm guessing it's a combination of being married (discount), and the bike not being in the same (danger/risk/theft) class as crotch rockets I listed. I'll find out tomorrow, for a hypothetical Multistrada on my policy...

I'm interested to see what they have to say.

No married discount here, the bike probably isn't in the same theft category, but replacement costs would definitely be higher. I've also owned a zx-14 and a CBR1100xx and never paid high rates like you were quoting.

In fact, when I bought the zx-14, the only thing my agent wanted to know was whether or not it was turbocharged... that was it.

FZjake719
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Granted mine is older, and not a full-on sportbike, but I pay $75/yr for full coverage, $500 deductable, through Statefarm.

BTW, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Wrider
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 08:06 AM
In fact, when I bought the zx-14, the only thing my agent wanted to know was whether or not it was turbocharged... that was it.

Bored, stroked, supercharged, and a 50 shot of NO2, but nope, no turbo! haha

Ghost
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Check with Cjake on here, he'll hook you up.

http://www.farmersagent.com/jgraham2

Ghosty
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Holy retard! I screwed up guys, they quoted me for full-year rate, not just 6months! So actually HALF everything in my OP up top. So I'm getting a decent deal! Shit, when I was in highschool $100/mo. for a rocket was a decent deal, glad I'm not a teen anymore, hahaa:

Current rate for my '05 R6: $207/12mos., or $17/mo., $250/deduct.

'05 YZF-R1: $237/12, $20/mo.
'06 ZX10R: $273/12, $23/mo. (note: might be more because '06)
'05 GSXR1k: $262/12, $22/mo.
'05 CBR1kRR: $249/12, $21/mo.

Sorry for the confusion! I appreciate the replies. ALSO, she said they go more by cc's, then they do by whether it's a cruiser/touring/dirt/sportbike. Didn't know that.

'10 Ducati Multistrada 1200: $333/12, $28/mo., $250 deduct. Shark, is yours an 1100 or 1200?

Ryan, as for the Supra, I pay around $175/mo. for Supra+Tacoma+R6, so that's decent. She has told me in the past that they will cover all the big mods if I document them, with serial #'s if possible, receipts, and/or photos. My lazy ass just hasn't done that yet.

salsashark
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Mine's a 1200s

Glad to know you're not getting raked over the coals.

I'm going to guess that the multi-line discounts and deductibles are the difference in your quote and what I pay. I have 6 policies with them between life, home, rental, car, truck and bike.

Ghosty
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Nor do I. If there's one particular way of thinking, that I've learned to change in my older years, it's that being able to take your medicine like a man, feels good.
I hear ya brother, I was a complete irresponsible tard during my 20's. My first ticket at age16 was Speed Contest in Louisville, trying to streetrace a Chevelle in my Dad's Fiero. 1 year probation and red license.

Then in my 20's I had AT LEAST one speeding ticket a year, got caught driving without insurance, drove drunk sometimes, had an SR-22, it was pathetic. But with age, comes wisdom!

birchyboy
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Nothing too much to add other than zip code affects rates as well. When we moved to Aurora from Denver the auto portion of our State Farm policy went up because of the higher theft rates out here, even though our cars are parked in a garage versus on the street. Damn statistics!