PDA

View Full Version : So you want to work in Antarctica?

Snowman
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Lockheed Martin ASC Jobs

http://www.facebook.com/lockheedmartin?sk=app_190322544333196

salsashark
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 12:07 PM
So are you moving over to LM or staying w/ Raytheon?

I have 20 or so postings for ASC show up in my inbox every day.

Snowman
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 12:34 PM
At this point I think I'll move over to Lockeed and stay with the program. My history on the ice seems to be a shoe in for my position.

Ghost
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Meh, I'll toss my resume in, but since Raytheon never called, I assume LM won't be any different...

Snowman
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Never know.
I've been surprised how many around here are taking this opportunity to jump ship.

Darth Do'Urden
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I'm currently with LM. Those jobs in Antarctica appear enticing. Problem is that they all state that "Antarctic experience" is a prerequisite.

I don't know that I'd jump at the chance, but I also wouldn't NOT consider it just because it's cold there. I can do anything for a year or so, depending on pay =).

Snowman
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Most of the jobs have a full time position in the Centennial office, you would only be deploying between Oct to Feb. I'm sure they would prefer someone with Ice experience but if no one applies for that job with it then they would default for most qualified.

salsashark
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I'm currently with LM.

A fellow slave to The Man... :cheers:

Those jobs in Antarctica appear enticing. Problem is that they all state that "Antarctic experience" is a prerequisite.

I don't know that I'd jump at the chance, but I also wouldn't NOT consider it just because it's cold there. I can do anything for a year or so, depending on pay =).

I would love to work on that program. Think of how few people in this world have the opportunity to go to Antarctica. I can certainly understand harbor management and logistics needed that kind of experience, but I.T. is I.T.

That being said, it does appear that a lo to the reqs being posted are being posted for particular individuals... not that a company would do such a thing :D

Dietrich_R1
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I'm sure they would prefer someone with Ice experience

I'm from Northern Minnesota... is that have enough "Ice Experience"?

Bashed
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I'm from Northern Minnesota... is that have enough "Ice Experience"?

As he posts from Az. :lol:

King Nothing
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 10:02 PM
what does "regular" mean? are the other positions seasonal?

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 06:46 AM
A fellow slave to The Man... :cheers:

Happy to be here. =)

That being said, it does appear that a lo to the reqs being posted are being posted for particular individuals... not that a company would do such a thing :DNot that they did it for me in particular...=P. And I wasn't even part of the company yet. I had all the requirements for the job, the manager just tweaked the job description to more fully accommodate my resume so as to justify paying me what I had to have to HR. Worked out pretty well...except that now our program is on Death Row awaiting and hoping for a stay of execution (and full pardon!) from Congress concerning all of His Majesty's budget cuts for military spending.

Thanks yet again for all the change, Obama. I REALLY hope you don't get t-boned by a bus....

Dietrich_R1
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 09:07 AM
As he posts from Az. :lol:

That represents my intelligence???

kawasakirob
Thu Feb 16th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I met two individuals who were about to head up there. I believe they refueled C130's. There names were Dan and his wife Crickett. GREAT people who I met out riding on Corona. Said they loved their jobs and it paid well. Big time enthusiasts as well. Rode a DRZ400 and some sort of 250 enduro from Colorado to Alaska. GREAT people. Sounds like a well worth it job if your into that sort of thing.