PDA

View Full Version : Got a Warning from Comcast Today

Zanatos
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I got a warning e-mail today from Comcast. A few days ago I downloaded a torrent containing a season of House, and someone reported my IP to Comcast.

I imagine the narc got my IP by seeding the torrent, then reporting any peers who downloaded it. (Can you say entrapment?)

I don't think it's a big deal, but I've heard if you get three strikes Comcast will cancel your Internet service for a year.

A word to the wise: Big Brother is watching us all.

modette99
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I got a warning e-mail today from Comcast. A few days ago I downloaded a torrent containing a season of House, and someone reported my IP to Comcast.

I imagine the narc got my IP by seeding the torrent, then reporting any peers who downloaded it. (Can you say entrapment?)

I don't think it's a big deal, but I've heard if you get three strikes Comcast will cancel your Internet service for a year.

It's because you shared it...I never share, well I turn it down to like 1KB a sec...LOL

longrider
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Stuff like this is why I wont touch torrents. While there is nothing wrong with the concept so much of the available content is illegal it ruins everything

rforsythe
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 10:43 PM
RIAA/MPAA have been known to plant seeds in torrent/P2P systems and look to see who downloads the files. Then they report you, or in some cases just go straight to filing bullshit lawsuits.

vort3xr6
Tue Feb 14th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Usenet > torrents

I`m Batman
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I use a VPN service. So all my download traffic are in other countries and not at my house.

WolFeYeZ
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I got one yesterday too (for the first time in around 5 terabytes) also from Comcast. It was from an NBC Universal product like house, but a movie rather than TV. After a tiny bit of wiki research, I found that Comcast and NBC Universal merged in 2011. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast_NBC_merger

Got to love it when your ISP is spying on you for their own benefit....

bulldog
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Had a thread here about the same issue a few months back. Luckily I never got a lawsuit so you may be fine.

TFOGGuys
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Moral of the story: If you're gonna download torrents, use the neighbor's wifi...

bulldog
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Moral of the story: If you're gonna download torrents, use the neighbor's wifi... No moral is, use that as your defense!

tecknojoe
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Moral of the story: If you're gonna download torrents, use the neighbor's wifi...

:lol:

About the only thing I torrent is ish that isn't available to us in the US. Then when becomes available I'll buy it. IE: the Guy Martin flick

I'm curious if it's illegal to download something like BSB coverage if they don't offer it here. I would think downloading anyone's coverage of something like MotoGP would be illegal because motogp.com has the rights and they make it available for purchase.

and I sure as shit don't download movies and tv shows that are available in the US. I'm not surprised that you all got caught :lol:

Mother Goose
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Peer Guardian [/end thread]

TurboGizzmo
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Usenet > torrents

+1

#1Townie
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Im not smart enough to download.

Sleev
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 12:30 PM
how long did you leave it up after DLing?

I won't seed something like that after I get it.

Wrider
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Private networks ftw.

Ghosty
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Peer Guardian [/end thread]
What's that?

Ghost
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 04:18 PM
What's that?

Google came up with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PeerGuardian

modette99
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 04:58 PM
RIAA/MPAA have been known to plant seeds in torrent/P2P systems and look to see who downloads the files. Then they report you, or in some cases just go straight to filing bullshit lawsuits.

That is for sharing, its why you don't share. I got a letter a long time ago from Comcast...it stated because I shared. That is when I stopped letting it upload quickly...and now I take it off the list as soon as it is down. They like to go after people that share. I could always say I was trying to get something, and what came down was not even what I was looking for.

Not sure how TV shows are illegal...I could use a VHS tape and share that with friends. As long as I been alive that was always okay to do *shrug*

Zach929rr
Thu Feb 16th, 2012, 09:02 AM

Lrn2PeerBlock (the new name for PeerGuardian)
Lrn2Usenet
Comcast will also send you nasty letters if you start breaching 250gb/mo.
I have never received a letter after downloading untold TB from torrents using only PeerBlock for safety. I moved to Usenet to avoid the security and speed hassles. $10/mo and I can grab a 1080P movie in 30m-hour.

/thread

Zanatos
Thu Feb 16th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Someone told me that PeerBlock won't work with torrents.

He said it is like "trying to send letters with no addresses on them."

I'll check into it though.

modette99
Thu Feb 16th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Program called Tribler that was just in the news. I downloaded it, but have not really used it. Not sure how it is suppose to work but is suppose to be a lot different then a normal Torrent program.

Penadam
Thu Feb 16th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Someone told me that PeerBlock won't work with torrents.

He said it is like "trying to send letters with no addresses on them."

I'll check into it though.

Only if you're addressing letters detailing your illegal activity to the police.

It works by downloading lists of know bad IP addresses, then preventing communication with them.

sag
Thu Feb 16th, 2012, 09:25 PM
i got this email today from the RIAA themselves!

Dear jhon_himura@yahoo.com, hereby we notify you that your IP address has been identified as distributing copyrighted content. Please see the attachment to this message for illicit Internet traffic details.
Failure to respond to this message within 14 days will result in copyright infringement accusation and standard legal procedures.

Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA)
1330 Connecticut Avenue NW Suite 300
Washington, DC 20036
tel: 202-775-0101
fax: 202-775-7253

and thats not even my email address

TFOGGuys
Thu Feb 16th, 2012, 09:33 PM

Dear jhon_himura@yahoo.com, hereby we notify you that your IP address has been identified as distributing copyrighted content. Please see the attachment to this message for illicit Internet traffic details.
Failure to respond to this message within 14 days will result in copyright infringement accusation and standard legal procedures.

Washington, DC 20036

Hmmm.... does the RIAA's email address resolve to a Russian server? 99.9999999% chance that the attachment is a trojan...

TurboGizzmo
Thu Feb 16th, 2012, 09:53 PM

Washington, DC 20036

Scam scam scam, delete!

bulldog
Fri Feb 17th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I've heard that really now if your are streaming using a PS3 that so many torrents are now cutting off the sound about 15 minutes through the movie...said it has happened on like the last four movies they downloaded. Can't complain, but seems like they are getting better at putting in blocks to prevent it; at least with PS3 that seems to detect it.

Zach929rr
Fri Feb 17th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I haven't had any problems yet using TVersity to push h.264 content to my xbox, except for the fact that it does not like fast forward or rewind at all.

bulldog
Fri Feb 17th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I haven't had any problems yet using TVersity to push h.264 content to my xbox, except for the fact that it does not like fast forward or rewind at all. Must be a Sony issue..maybe since they make movies too :dunno:

Zach929rr
Fri Feb 17th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I always confirm a good rip by quickly browsing through the movie using VLC on the pc before I even try to stream it. If it look good in VLC but cuts out on the PS3, something is definitely amiss.

Mother Goose
Fri Feb 17th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I've heard that really now if your are streaming using a PS3 that so many torrents are now cutting off the sound about 15 minutes through the movie...said it has happened on like the last four movies they downloaded. Can't complain, but seems like they are getting better at putting in blocks to prevent it; at least with PS3 that seems to detect it.
It's been happening for a while. If you get the ones from MAXSPEED, you're usually good to go.

But if it does happen, I just convert it to a DVD and then burn it. Works perfect after that.

Keyser Soze
Fri Feb 17th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I just pay for my shit :dunno:

Mother Goose
Fri Feb 17th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I just pay for my shit :dunno:
We all pay for your shit. :mrt:

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Feb 17th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I have no problems streaming .avi video files from my PC to my PS3 using PS3 Media Server. The PS3 doesn't like FF beyond x10 speed, but I generally only need to FF to get through the intros/"previously on...".

modette99
Fri Feb 17th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Yep, no issue with PS3 Media Server...don't like some formats but then I burn to disc and call it a day. I agree the fast forward sucks, but oh well.

Nooch
Fri Feb 17th, 2012, 08:47 PM
(Can you say entrapment?)

I don't think you understand how entrapment works.

Also, Comcast gets subpoenas ALL THE TIME for production of records for IP addresses. Its not likely that you'll go down for using a torrent, but its about as risky as taking a strange woman home from the bar. Most of the time, its probably cool. But that one time...

Zanatos
Sat Feb 18th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Since the e-mail came from Comcast, I assumed someone complained to them. I am hoping RIAA, the MPAA, or a subpoena weren't involved.

modette99
Sat Feb 18th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Since the e-mail came from Comcast, I assumed someone complained to them. I am hoping RIAA, the MPAA, or a subpoena weren't involved.

Respond back and say sorry my router was found to be left open and I am taking action to make sure it is secure.

Should get you a free pass or two ;-)

modette99
Fri Feb 24th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Yep, I just got the audio is disabled on the PS3 last night for a Sony picture.

Was not even that good of a movie so I am thinking I will not even burn it....LOL This is why I TEST movies to those that claim theft. Most plainly suck and I get little to no enjoyment out of watching (I typically watch to fall asleep...lol).

If it's a good or great movie I consider buying it...and usually do.

grim
Fri Feb 24th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Yep, I just got the audio is disabled on the PS3 last night for a Sony picture.

Was not even that good of a movie so I am thinking I will not even burn it....LOL This is why I TEST movies to those that claim theft. Most plainly suck and I get little to no enjoyment out of watching (I typically watch to fall asleep...lol).

If it's a good or great movie I consider buying it...and usually do.

It was Broke back mountain wasn't it?

Zanatos
Fri Feb 24th, 2012, 04:49 PM
In my defense, I am in the middle of a 15-week student teaching job right now. This means working full time every day, but not getting paid a single penny.

Maybe someday, I'll have an actual job and will be able to buy stuff.

Naah, I'll probably still be a cheap ass.

modette99
Fri Feb 24th, 2012, 08:06 PM
In my defense, I am in the middle of a 15-week student teaching job right now. This means working full time every day, but not getting paid a single penny.

Maybe someday, I'll have an actual job and will be able to buy stuff.

Naah, I'll probably still be a cheap ass.

I'm actually starting to go through the copy collection and toss a bunch of stuff that was one time watches that planned stunk. Other ones, I hate to buy because I owned them on VHS...and the switch to DVD was when I copied a bunch to be able to watch what I owned.

Slowly I'll switch....

But like I said I feel ripped off and cheated every time a new video format comes out. It's not like you get anything extra on Blue-Ray when the VHS was filmed before HD...LOL And no I don't consider "extras" as getting something more...who watches those anyways!!!

Movie was Jack & Jill....man was it bad.

Darth Do'Urden
Sat Feb 25th, 2012, 09:18 AM
It's not like you get anything extra on Blue-Ray when the VHS was filmed before HD...

Ahem...movies were in fact filmed in "HD" before VHS. Current HD formats (Blu-Ray) STILL aren't showing the full resolution of the actual film, even films from the '70s. So with moving to BD, you DO gain something more over VHS (and even DVD): you get exponentially superior resolution, detail, color, etc. Of course, this is assuming you have an actual HDTV, but I'm surprised whenever I hear that someone doesn't given how prevalent and affordable they are.

Now, how well the transfer to BD was done is individual to the movie, but it will ALWAYS and FOREVER look better than VHS or DVD ever could.

modette99
Sun Feb 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM
You are right 1936 was the first HD TV's...France had 1,000+ lines during War time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video

Like you said it depends on a host of factors like the conversion over. Point being I'm not buying the same movie in a bunch of formats.

I have owned HD TV's probably longer then you...back before HDMI was even known. As far as I know you can not even hook up a Blue-ray to an older TV...all my Blu-Ray's have HDMI. Yep, my TV was cheap $2,500 Plasma hanging on my wall...certified for color, I was anal and had to have this TV.

So what were you trying to educate me on that I did not know already? I'm not sure where your post was going.