PDA

View Full Version : There's something about Jeremy Lin....

Mother Goose
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 01:46 PM
....that makes me want to watch basketball again. I'll still watch a game here and there, but it's awesome to watch a kid who was living on a couch to becoming an NBA star. No scholarships to any university, he ended up going to Harvard because he was guaranteed a spot on the team. Gotta love the determination of someone like that.

madvlad
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 02:34 PM
That dude is killing it. That last second 3 pointer shot last night was awesome.

Keyser Soze
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Linsanity in Denver? :lol: Oh brother

~Barn~
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 03:12 PM
So what?... He walked on at Harvard and earned a scholarship..?

Pretty impressive, if so.

Ghosty
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Yeah, pretty cool stuff. Been reading the editorials on "Linsanity", and they're all giving him props, not criticism. Deserved, imo. One article talked about him being the NBA's Tebow because he's also a strong Christian. But he's just a little more low-key than Tebow, which is cool too actually. I like stand-up role models like these, especially when they do it in the face of douchebags like Kobe and Artest, and all the other trashier NBA players always getting in trouble off the court. Not to mention Burress, lol!

Interesting story to follow. Makes me wanna watch more Nicks games actually!

Airreed
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Lin is the new Tebow!!!!

I'm glad that he talks team basketball, when Carmello was/is a ball hog. It's going to be interesting when Carmello does return to the lineup, but Lin should get top dollar during the off season.

rforsythe
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Hadn't even heard of the guy until a news story on him this morning, though most of the NBA whiny-punk-ass-bitch BS stuff turns me off. Seemed like a pretty cool kid though, I hope he does well. I liked his well-grounded demeanor.

Mother Goose
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 03:53 PM
So what?... He walked on at Harvard and earned a scholarship..?

Pretty impressive, if so.
Nope, Harvard doesn't give athletic scholarships. He's didn't get any offers from any of the other schools (UCLA, Stanford, etc.), and ended up going to Harvard because he was guaranteed a spot. The others would be a walk on, so no guarantee that he would play.

Mother Goose
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Lin is the new Tebow!!!!

But this guy is actually good..... :eyebrows: http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/images/smilies/hammer.gif

Ezzzzy1
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Lin is the new Tebow!!!!

I'm glad that he talks team basketball, when Carmello was/is a ball hog. It's going to be interesting when Carmello does return to the lineup, but Lin should get top dollar during the off season.

Yeh, Tebow has got to love this! :lol:

Its cool to see someone bring the intensity that he does back to the game.

Funny Tweet-
“Some lucky lady in NYC is going to feel a couple of inches of pain tonight.” – Jason Whitlock

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/jason-whitlock-apologizes-unfunny-jeremy-lin-twitter-145934497.html

~Barn~
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Nope, Harvard doesn't give athletic scholarships.

Oh, didn't know that.

So if you get accepted to go Harvard, do they cover the costs of going there or what? I guess I'm just not putting together how he went from living on a couch, to paying for that kind of education (?). "Student loans", just doesn't seem quite right.

Whatever the case, he must be bright, to even go there, at all.

Keyser Soze
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I think Harvard gives hot chicks scholarships tho

Ghosty
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Yeah he's bright, 4.2 gpa in highschool, which requires AP classes to get higher than a 4.0. Lots of info on Wiki, but not how he paid for school. BUT, they do mention he graduated with a degree in economics from Harvard, with a 3.1 gpa. Which in Ivy League is like a 6.0 in highschool, lol.

Interesting, here is why he wasn't drafted:

After graduating from Harvard University, Lin went undrafted in the 2010 NBA Draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NBA_Draft). Eight teams had invited Lin to predraft workouts. Diepenbrock said that NBA tryouts do not play five on five. Lin acknowledged that the workouts were "one on one or two on two or three on three, and that’s not where I excel. I've never played basketball like that

Mother Goose
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Oh, didn't know that.

So if you get accepted to go Harvard, do they cover the costs of going there or what? I guess I'm just not putting together how he went from living on a couch, to paying for that kind of education (?). "Student loans", just doesn't seem quite right.

I didn't know that either until I started reading up on it.

The couch thing was when living in NY, before this all blew up. He grew up in Palo Alto, CA (where Stanford is located), and ended up at Harvard.

~Barn~
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Ivy League basketball, definitey relies on the team-concept to excel. Princeton most recently, has had very solid teams.

Filo
Wed Feb 15th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Oh, didn't know that.

Just because they don't give athletic scholarships doesn't mean they don't give scholarships to athletes. It just means that you can't qualify for the scholarship on your athletic ability. I went to an unnamed east coast university that doesn't give athletic scholarships. I was on the track team. Told the coach I couldn't afford school anymore and he said to apply for a scholarship and it would be awarded. I did. It was. So I am sure he had a scholarship based in part on the fact they wanted him to play basketball there - it just wasn't an athletic scholarship is all.

~Barn~
Fri Feb 17th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Provided to me by my weekly LinkedIn email... (http://www.linkedin.com/news?actionBar=&articleID=5574202239897051136&ids=0RcPkSc3gQd34QczcPdzoPdPkRb3oQdPsPc34Rc3sPcPwV cjgTdjkIcz8Vdj0ScjgTdPgNdzgNd3sRdiMRdjcQdj0MdzsVej oQe3kPdPkRb3wNe30QcjgSdz0Nd3wVe3cTdjkIdzcNcjkMdPAU ejcOcz0Od3sRdiMUdzATc34Mcz0N&aag=true&freq=weekly&trk=eml-tod2-b-ttl-1&ut=2jeXQXL1sK7581)