PDA

View Full Version : Rider Killed in Aurora

FZRguy
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 02:30 AM
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/30492442/detail.html

stubbicatt
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 06:32 AM
The comments are somewhat inflammatory. One, by a man called Scott: "I'm not surprised, he was riding a crotch rocket."

There are others.

RIP rider.

Matty
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Sad......

madvlad
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 08:47 AM
You must be an idiot to be riding that fast on these cold of nights... Respectfully RIP rider but you reao what you sow.

Hoot
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 09:00 AM
RIP rider...

cbrjohnny
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 09:17 AM
so his buddy on the other bike took off?? crazy... rip

longrider
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 09:28 AM
What I dont get is how did the riders not see the cars stopped? It's not like there was a left turn or pulling out of a side street, they were stopped at an intersection waiting for pedestrians which means they were in plain sight. I cant imagine not seeing that, plus while 70 would be speeding it is not so fast that stopping would be hard in your sight distance

sprtbkbabe
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 09:40 AM
So sad to see that lone helmet in the pic... :(

spideyrdr
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Westbound at that time of night could have meant the sun was a factor. If the SUV was stopped to let people cross at an unmarked cross walk, the rider probably didn't see or expect them to be stopped there.

RIP rider.

willb003
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 10:14 AM
What I dont get is how did the riders not see the cars stopped? It's not like there was a left turn or pulling out of a side street, they were stopped at an intersection waiting for pedestrians which means they were in plain sight. I cant imagine not seeing that, plus while 70 would be speeding it is not so fast that stopping would be hard in your sight distance

Where does it say they were going 70?

johne303
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Who do you think is at fault

The rider - for going too fast

The SUV - for stopping In the middle of the street

The pedestrian - for NOT using a cross walk

Or all 3?

salsashark
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 10:36 AM

The SUV - for stopping In the middle of rhe street

The pedestrian - for cross walk

Or all 3?

With only the news story to go by, the rider was at fault... 100%

RIP

Jmetz
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 11:00 AM
With the news report, the pedestrians were crossing when they shouldn't have and therefore caused the accident.

I almost rear ended a truck the other night for something similar. The light was green and we were making a right, a pedestrian decided to cross even though they had the don't walk. I didn't see the pedestrian and all the sudden the guy in front of me slams on his brakes. I came close but luckily didn't hit.

RIP

longrider
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Where does it say they were going 70?

Upon rereading the story I realized the speed comment was referring to I225, no mention was made of the speed at time of impact

longrider
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 11:11 AM

Or all 3?

The SUV has no fault at all in this situation, what else could he do? Run down the pedestrians? While the pedestrians may have caused the accident (assuming they were not in a crosswalk) fault is 100% the riders.

Snowman
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I past this accident about 5:30pm. The fire department and several Aurora police had shown already up. Only saw the one rider down, helmet was off and a fireman was pumping his chest. The bike was shattered and pieces were on both sides of the road. From the way the bike landed I'm guessing the rider was trying to going around the Nissan because it looked like the damage on the Pathfinder was all long the left side rear.

At that time of day the sun does fall directly in line with the west bound lane and was probably an issue. Also there is no crosswalks or stoplights at that intersection. I do know allot of people cross there but not being a marked crossing intersection, someone not familiar with the area wouldn't slow. It's also down hill and 40mph.

Still it was the rider responsibly to maintain control of his bike and if there was a second rider that fled I really have no respect for that person.

It's always treble when one of us dies for any reason, even their own fault. Those of us that do ride have accepted that this can happen to any of us.

RIP

JKOL
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 11:44 AM
To me it doesn't matter who caused the accident, it is the rider's responsibility to protect him/her self. One thing a friend told me years before I ever got a motorcycle, and it has always stuck with me is "ride like everyone on the road is trying to kill you." It seems like most days this is 100% true. It is our responsibility to be safe, don't expect others to be safe.

RIP to the rider, and f*&k the loser that left the scene. Karma is gonna take good care of them.

~Barn~
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 11:50 AM
To me it doesn't matter who caused the accident, it is the rider's responsibility to protect him/her self. <Snip...>

Couldn't have said it any better. My thoughts go out to the family of the rider, who they don't have any longer.

Nooch
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 12:43 PM

Or all 3?

Moot point. Most of the posted speed limits on Iliff are 40 MPH. I ride Iliff all the time. At the proper speed, if the car in front of me slams the brakes out of nowhere, I can still stop because A. I dont follow closely and B. I don't speed on city streets. Part of the decision-making process when determining speed limits takes into account the fact that sometimes shit happens that causes drivers to have to brake hard without warning. You are vulnerable as all hell on a motorcycle. Take care of yourself because no one else is going to.

WolFeYeZ
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM
RIP Rider. 75 on a freeway really isn't all that bad =/

madvlad
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Whoever doesn't think speeding was the factor then take a closer look to the pictures... Anyone can own a motorcycle and move it but to understand the dynamics of such its a completely different story

Fumet5uNo
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Wow.

johne303
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Whoever doesn't think speeding was the factor then take a closer look to the pictures... Anyone can own a motorcycle and move it but to understand the dynamics of such its a completely different story

SPEED doesn't kill, it's the sudden STOP!

biikChiQ
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 02:03 PM
thats so unfortunate. RIP rider

Nick_Ninja
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Stupid hurts and sometimes kills. :roll:

FZRguy
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Take care of yourself because no one else is going to.

+1 Shame to see a crash like this.

Slo
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 02:50 PM
The comments are somewhat inflammatory. One, by a man called Scott: "I'm not surprised, he was riding a crotch rocket."

There are others.

RIP rider.

Yeah there are always idiots like that that leave their ingorant comments. Same types of people are usually racist as well. Accident could have happened to anyone not paying attention, speeding, drunk, etc.

mdub
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 04:17 PM
That is awful. Just an instance of not paying attn. Rest in peace.

Scatterbrain
Sun Feb 19th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Very sad, be crazy but be safe....

grim
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Very sad, be crazy but be safe....

Should I be on the lookout for your vlog about this?

mastap07
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 06:36 AM
RIP rider. sad situation, we will never know the full story but sad non the less

#1Townie
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 07:55 AM
i blame the news on this. they always write fallen reports like this to make the people hate the rider. doesnt matter how they died what was going on. they will take a small statement and then turn around and write it as if jesus himself was there and watching and reporting it. read the way the link is writen. 70? thats not that fast for a sport bike. also they state that two riders riding on a totally different road. i see no facts that link those two riders and the one in the accident. before anyone judges anyone on this please have a open mind to the fact that media now days no longer reports the news. they just typ up stories that will get a emotional reaction. they do with pit bulls... bikes.. and anything else.

rip to the rider.

Snowman
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Also, 225 north bound is 65mph up to the Parker exit. the Iliff exit is just 1 1/2 miles down the road. 75 mph is common for all traffic heading north from I-25 to the Parker exit. So I do agree linking the two reports has no validity.

madvlad
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 09:05 AM
So you are saying that 20 mph over the speed limit is not speeding?

Hoot
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 09:16 AM
56 in a 55 is speeding....

20 mph over is not unusual. It seems odd to me that someone would even
Call that it in. I usually do about 10 over on the highways and am regularly passed by cagers doing plenty more than 10 mph more than me.

longrider
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 09:20 AM
You also have to consider that in traffic the safest speed is to flow with the traffic regardless of what the sign on the side of the road says. Obeying the speed limit when the great majority of traffic is doing 20 over is a hazard in itself

#1Townie
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 09:48 AM
So you are saying that 20 mph over the speed limit is not speeding?

You must not drive very often. I normal do about 8 over. 225 I found myself one time doing 15moronic over and still getting passed like I was a little old lady.

grim
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 09:49 AM
56 in a 55 is speeding....

20 mph over is not unusual. It seems odd to me that someone would even
Call that it in. I usually do about 10 over on the highways and am regularly passed by cagers doing plenty more than 10 mph more than me.

Not unusual? Where the hell are you from? 20+ over in the state of Colorado is reckless driving and can get you arrested on the spot and your car or bike impounded. At most i see everyone doing 10 over.

grim
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 09:50 AM
You also have to consider that in traffic the safest speed is to flow with the traffic regardless of what the sign on the side of the road says. Obeying the speed limit when the great majority of traffic is doing 20 over is a hazard in itself

I completely disagree with this.

Jmetz
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 09:50 AM
It seems odd to me that someone would even
Call that it in.

I would guess they were probably weaving through traffic which tends to piss people off.

~Barn~
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 10:20 AM

Indeed. For better or for worse, ask anybody who has ever navigated the highways and biways of a city like Los Angeles, about this!

Even if a posting says ## and you're obeying it, the "obstacle" that you become when the bulk of traffic is traveling +20, makes you exponentially more of a problem.

grim
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Indeed. For better or for worse, ask anybody who has ever navigated the highways and biways of a city like Los Angeles, about this!

Even if a posting says ## and you're obeying it, the "obstacle" that you become when the bulk of traffic is traveling +20, makes you exponentially more of a problem.

Right and then when you're the one who gets picked and pulled over you tell the officer "i was just going with the flow of traffic" they say "oh ok" and let you go right?

No then you get the reckless driving ticket you have to go to court for and pay out the ass. Ive played that game two times in VA, speeding with everyone else is stupid.

bulldog
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Right and then when you're the one who gets picked and pulled over you tell the officer "i was just going with the flow of traffic" they say "oh ok" and let you go right?

No then you get the reckless driving ticket you have to go to court for and pay out the ass. Ive played that game two times in VA, speeding with everyone else is stupid. Hey I have tried that....failed miserably and got the ticket anways! :lol:

Best part is I am 99.9% sure of all of them that were going as fast as me he decided to get me because I had the "sport car".

longrider
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Hey I have tried that....failed miserably and got the ticket anways! :lol:

Best part is I am 99.9% sure of all of them that were going as fast as me he decided to get me because I had the "sport car".

I agree 100%, I remember one time I was cruising on I76 behind a highend BMW and guess who got the ticket! I guess sportbikes just look faster...

Hoot
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Not unusual? Where the hell are you from? 20+ over in the state of Colorado is reckless driving and can get you arrested on the spot and your car or bike impounded. At most i see everyone doing 10 over.

Colorado. This always happens on 225 just north of Yosemite where it changes from 65 to 55.

Are you saying that driving on the highways around here you don't see people doing 20 over regularly? I sure do. I get passed like I'm sitting still doing 10 over the limit all the time...

Hoot
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Are you sure it's automatically reckless over 20? I've never heard of that here, then again I've never been busted doing 20 over either.

~Barn~
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 11:01 AM

No then you get the reckless driving ticket you have to go to court for and pay out the ass. Ive played that game two times in VA, speeding with everyone else is stupid.

Paul and I are talking apples, and you're on oranges. Neither of us ever said once, that you couldn't or wouldn't be pulled over for speeding, nor did we ever allude that it would be an adviseable or defensable reasoning, for said traffic stop. We're talking about the topic of safety.

#1Townie
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Colorado. This always happens on 225 just north of Yosemite where it changes from 65 to 55.

Are you saying that driving on the highways around here you don't see people doing 20 over regularly? I sure do. I get passed like I'm sitting still doing 10 over the limit all the time...
Hell when you would hit that construction zone that dropped down to 40the I would damn near get run off the road. That's in my f450 tow truck! Yeah I try to stay off 225 and also hate i25 right around those mouse traps. People in denver drive like they are in a race to be the first one to slam on their brakes. Lol

Penadam
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 11:09 AM

Drive west on I-70 in the after it changes from 65 to 55 and see how fast everyone is still going. (Hint, the change in speed limit doesn't change the speed everyone is going)

And reckless is +25 over in Colorado.

Also, how can you think that driving the speed limit when everyone else is going substantially faster is safe? Do you think a speeder going 20+ over the speed of traffic is safe? If not, by driving slower than traffic, you're doing the same thing. Why do you think highways have minimum speed limits?

Hoot
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Right?

The sad thing is that I have even stopped noticing where the construction speed limits change. I think it's right around Santa Fe northbound where it goes to 45 but no one sticks to that and there is almost no where for the cops to even try to enforce it. Concrete barriers on both sides with no shoulders.

grim
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Drive west on I-70 in the after it changes from 65 to 55 and see how fast everyone is still going. (Hint, the change in speed limit doesn't change the speed everyone is going)

And reckless is +25 over in Colorado.

Also, how can you think that driving the speed limit when everyone else is going substantially faster is safe? Do you think a speeder going 20+ over the speed of traffic is safe? If not, by driving slower than traffic, you're doing the same thing. Why do you think highways have minimum speed limits?

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/enforce/speedlaws501/toc/cospeed.pdf

Page 1 bottom "minimum speed limit law"
I. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable forward movement of traffic. '42-4-1103(1)
II. A person, driving at less than the normal speed of traffic, shall drive in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. '42-4-1001(2)

Pretty sure it doesn't say speed with everyone else and get an "get out jail for free card"

Suck it!

WolFeYeZ
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 11:42 AM

I. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable forward movement of traffic. '42-4-1103(1)
II. A person, driving at less than the normal speed of traffic, shall drive in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. '42-4-1001(2)

Pretty sure it doesn't say speed with everyone else and get an "get out jail for free card"

Suck it!

You are just mad because you didn't get a permit :P

grim
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 11:59 AM
You are just mad because you didn't get a permit :P

:spit: shut yo mouth

Penadam
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM

Suck it!

Never said that, just said it's safer to go with the speed of traffic. If everyone else is doing it, it's unlikely they'll pull you over and give you a ticket, but it's still within their rights to do so.

grim
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Never said that, just said it's safer to go with the speed of traffic. If everyone else is doing it, it's unlikely they'll pull you over and give you a ticket, but it's still within their rights to do so.

Either you don't get enough tickets or i am a fucking cop magnet because every damn time i am in my cage flowing with (speeding) traffic i get pinched.

anyways back to the OP

RIP rider

Penadam
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 12:11 PM
It's all those tattoos. They can sense the social malcontents.:D

Snowman
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 12:17 PM

Suck it!At what point did you ever think life was fair?

Getting picked out a crowd of vehicles all moving at the same speed because your vehicle looks faster (or would be easier to justify to a judge) has nothing to do with what is the safest speed to travel.

It is just as safe to move with the speed of traffic if it's doing 20 under as much it is doing 20 over. It has to do with the relational speed and other drivers reactions. It's easier to react to a slowly moving vehicle in relation to you than one moving faster in relation to you.

Ghost
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 12:30 PM
This is why these RIP threads are a joke.

If you didn't know the guy then you don't really care--as evidenced by how the thread invariably goes off on some wholly unrelated tangent that's not about "showing respect" or whatever these RIP threads are supposed to be about.

bulldog
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 12:32 PM
This is why these RIP threads are a joke.

If you didn't know the guy then you don't really care--as evidenced by how the thread invariably goes off on some wholly unrelated tangent that's not about "showing respect" or whatever these RIP threads are supposed to be about. This is not a RIP thread though :slap:

I took it more as a topic to dicuss :dunno:

grim
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 12:40 PM
At what point did you ever think life was fair?

Getting picked out a crowd of vehicles all moving at the same speed because your vehicle looks faster (or would be easier to justify to a judge) has nothing to do with what is the safest speed to travel.

It is just as safe to move with the speed of traffic if it's doing 20 under as much it is doing 20 over. It has to do with the relational speed and other drivers reactions. It's easier to react to a slowly moving vehicle in relation to you than one moving faster in relation to you.

Has nothing to do with being fair or not.

There is no argument the posted speed limit is the safest speed I choose to go 5 over and that's comfortable for me but you wont see me doing 20 over regardless of whether everyone else is or not. If i am on my Ninja or caging it and some fuckhead gets on my ass when im in the right lane going the speed limit hes going to learn just how slow i can go and how loud i can laugh.

grim
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 12:41 PM
It's all those tattoos. They can sense the social malcontents.:D

Must be guess i should just get more to see if i can get some sort of counter reaction going.

Ghost
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 12:43 PM
This is not a RIP thread though :slap:

I took it more as a topic to dicuss :dunno:

Count the number of "RIP"/"RIP Rider" in the posts--and I'm not offended, I'm just saying that it's done out of habit/routine/reflex and no one really gives a shit (unless it was someone you knew).

grim
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Count the number of "RIP"/"RIP Rider" in the posts--and I'm not offended, I'm just saying that it's done out of habit/routine/reflex and no one really gives a shit (unless it was someone you knew).

The comments speak for themselves whether people really care or not.

biikChiQ
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 01:12 PM

Maybe for some people, but not for me..
Given yes, if it were someone I knew, it'd hit harder than a person that I don't know, but I value human life.. so I do genuinely care.

dirkterrell
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 02:53 PM

I think we've all seen enough evidence that traffic tickets aren't very often given to achieve any increases in safety, so I wouldn't use that criterion for judging whether one's actions increase safety. FWIW, I've been riding for almost 30 years and I've developed a good sense of what it takes to stay alive when riding in traffic. My experience is that moving slightly faster than traffic (~5 mph at highway speeds) tends to reduce the number of stupid moves that people pull that they later excuse as "I didn't see him." By moving slightly faster, you keep things in front of you (making it easier to scan and react) and you don't blend into the traffic (making you more visible). Smooth, predictable movements and use of turn signals, along with not going too much faster than traffic, keeps unwanted attention minimized.

This approach (among other things) has worked well for me, and I ride year around, having done so since 1983. Technically, I am breaking the law if I am over the speed limit, yes, but I'm willing to be wrong on that account and increase the odds of my survival. I have never gotten a ticket doing so, and if I ever do, I'll just consider it the cost of riding and staying alive. As I always say, nothing will make motorcycling 100% safe, but there are many things we can do to increase our odds of survival.

grim
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I think we've all seen enough evidence that traffic tickets aren't very often given to achieve any increases in safety, so I wouldn't use that criterion for judging whether one's actions increase safety. FWIW, I've been riding for almost 30 years and I've developed a good sense of what it takes to stay alive when riding in traffic. My experience is that moving slightly faster than traffic (~5 mph at highway speeds) tends to reduce the number of stupid moves that people pull that they later excuse as "I didn't see him." By moving slightly faster, you keep things in front of you (making it easier to scan and react) and you don't blend into the traffic (making you more visible). Smooth, predictable movements and use of turn signals, along with not going too much faster than traffic, keeps unwanted attention minimized.

This approach (among other things) has worked well for me, and I ride year around, having done so since 1983. Technically, I am breaking the law if I am over the speed limit, yes, but I'm willing to be wrong on that account and increase the odds of my survival. I have never gotten a ticket doing so, and if I ever do, I'll just consider it the cost of riding and staying alive. As I always say, nothing will make motorcycling 100% safe, but there are many things we can do to increase our odds of survival.

I was talking about when im in my cage lol.

The bike is a whole different story, i find an open pocket where there no cars on either side and get myself there as quickly as possible.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I was talking about when im in my cage lol.

The bike is a whole different story, i find an open pocket where there no cars on either side and get myself there as quickly as possible.

This is your second post in this thread:

Maybe just relax and have a beer on me? It's all about sportbikes after all... right?

grim
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 03:56 PM
This is your second post in this thread:

Maybe just relax and have a beer on me? It's all about sportbikes after all... right?

Right, Rip rider everyone stay safe when you're on two.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Right, Rip rider everyone stay safe when you're on two.

I owe you a beer of your choice. :D

mdub
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 05:01 PM
pick one of the 15 dollar bottle.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 05:27 PM
pick one of the 15 dollar bottle.

That reminds me of the time I took a group of 8 programming students (5 day, onsite seminar) out to lunch. One of the guys ordered steak and lobster. What a fucking douche!

FZRguy
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I'm with Dirk. Move just a bit faster than hwy traffic flow, and I'll go whatever speed needed (faster or slower) to get out of a bad traffic situation. Also, posted more for info than RIP.

mdub
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM
One of the guys ordered steak and lobster. What a fucking douche!

:lol::lol::lol:

yeah...keep it to a dollar limit....

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Haha! Seriously. :lol:

thankgod
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 07:09 PM
:( You know the blodd lust from some of the fellow csc members is almost, well, just sad...could have been anyone of us...as for the friend that ran and did not bother to help his injured buddy...I hope I never go on a ride with you...I've had my oh shit moments....but that rider had his last behind that SUV...RIP

Ws6charged
Mon Feb 20th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Thankgod you could not have said that any better. Rip rider

aerofaze
Tue Feb 21st, 2012, 10:10 AM
The fallen rider has been identified. As for his "buddy," no word yet.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20010272

A man who died when his motorcycle slammed in to the back of an SUV in Aurora has been identified.

Kevin Daniel David, 31, of Englewood, died Saturday of accidental severe blunt impact injuries, according to the Arapahoe County Coroner's Office.

The crash happened just after 5 p.m. in the 13100 block of East Iliff Avenue, according to the Aurora Police Department.

David was suspected of speeding and driving recklessly prior to the crash, police said. The SUV he rear-ended was stopped at a pedestrian crossing for an adult and children.

The SUV's driver and passengers were not injured, police said.

A second motorcyclist swerved around the stopped vehicles and didn't return to the scene. David was driving a 2009 Suzuki GSX at the time of the fatal crash.