PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Rental

Darth Do'Urden
Mon Feb 27th, 2012, 06:51 AM
My brother is coming up from Oklahoma this summer, and he's looking at renting a Buell Blast for a day so we can do some riding together. (The Blast was the only thing offered by several companies that was in the reasonable $80 range.)

So the question is, are there any issues we should look out for concerning renting a motorcycle? He's checking with his insurance to see what it covers as far as a rental bike (and whether or not he needs to get additional coverage from the rental company itself). But beyond this...anything to be wary of?

rforsythe
Mon Feb 27th, 2012, 07:07 AM
As long as they maintain it, nah I don't see any issues. Give it a once-over and make sure there is life on the brake pads and tires, the controls all move freely and smoothly, lights all work, it runs fine, and on the Blast that the drive belt isn't showing cracks like it's worn out.

grim
Mon Feb 27th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Where did you find a place that rents out bikes?

Mother Goose
Mon Feb 27th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Call up 303 Cycle. They use to rent bikes and will have a lot of info on the subject.

Tylar
Mon Feb 27th, 2012, 08:54 AM
A colleague of mine was out from Germany and was able to rent a bike through http://www.tourbikes.com/ .

the process was pretty easy, especially considering the German drivers license, and it really was without issue. The bike was a BMW f850GS and ran great and appeared well maintained.

longrider
Mon Feb 27th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Where did you find a place that rents out bikes?

Renting bikes is not a problem, renting a sportbike is where it gets difficult. Insurance strikes again :( There are plenty of places to rent a Harley, the closest to a sportbike is sport-tourers at http://www.tourbikes.com/ Unfortunately they have nothing in the OPs price range

Edit: Ninja'd by Tylar...

Tylar
Mon Feb 27th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Edit: Ninja'd by Tylar...

http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/052011/nerd-ninja.jpg

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Feb 27th, 2012, 12:16 PM
You'd have to pay ME $80/day to be seen on a Be-Last......

Darth Do'Urden
Mon Feb 27th, 2012, 05:10 PM
You'd have to pay ME $80/day to be seen on a Be-Last......

LOL...don't hate. He'll be in town for about a week, and he doesn't have the means of getting his bike (Buell XB9) up here with him. So for the price and the ability to enjoy the canyons of Colorado...yeah, it's worth being seen on a "Be-Last". =P

The place that has the Blast is Mile High Rentals (http://www.milehighrentals.com/) in Aurora. Better than paying double that for a big sport tourer that he'd likely not be quite as comfortable on (in regards to size, weight, experience, etc.).

Aaron
Mon Feb 27th, 2012, 05:58 PM
How about renting my bike for the same price? It can actually do the speed limit (And 40 over according to the State Patrol).

I'm not sure how insurance would work though. My insurance would cover it, however I don't have full coverage so if he went down he'd be fixing it, or buying it. Anyways the offer is out there although I doubt he'll be interested because he'd be out quite a bit if he had an at fault accident.

Darth Do'Urden
Tue Feb 28th, 2012, 03:20 PM
How about renting my bike for the same price? It can actually do the speed limit (And 40 over according to the State Patrol).

I'm not sure how insurance would work though. My insurance would cover it, however I don't have full coverage so if he went down he'd be fixing it, or buying it. Anyways the offer is out there although I doubt he'll be interested because he'd be out quite a bit if he had an at fault accident.

Yeah, the insurance side of things would preclude doing this. I mean, he's certainly a competent rider, but we all know that doesn't mean jack sometimes.

'Preciate the offer, though!

FZRguy
Wed Feb 29th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Have you ever sat on a Blast? It's more riding lawn mower than sportbike. You can always take him bitch. ;)

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Mar 28th, 2012, 11:47 AM
As an update for anyone that might actually care....

A friend offered to loan me his '00 Suzuki Bandit 600 for the week for my brother to ride, so there'll be no rental needed. Too bad so sad for the Harley dealer...lol. A Bandit for free for a week is MUCH better than a Blast for a single day at $80. =)