PDA

View Full Version : ABATE Intermediate vs Advanced rider course

Penadam
Mon Feb 27th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Anyone know the difference between the intermediate and advanced rider course offered by ABATE?

Looking at taking one this spring to get me some more learnin' (and the insurance discount).

Looked through the course descriptions on the ABATE website, but didn't really find specific details on what was covered.

Anyone who's taken it or one of the instructors want to chime in?

UglyDogRacing
Mon Feb 27th, 2012, 04:06 PM
What is your experience level?

The intermediate course (basic rider course II) is basically a revision for someone that took the basic rider course and then rode for their first season. It's recommended for the rider that took the brc after they have ridden for 6 months and/or 5,000 miles. If your experience exceeds that, I would recommend doing the ARC-ST course.

Here's some additional info on it - http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents/dtransportation_safety/conrep/2010_update/arc-st_faqs__final_0309.pdf

Penadam
Tue Feb 28th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Nikdiculous
Tue Feb 28th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I took both last summer and found them enlightening. Both involve lots of riding, swerving and braking maneuvers, with the advanced riding class having a greater emphasis on cornering techniques and hazard recognition. You can't go wrong with either, even if you're an experienced rider.